Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Treasure cards in Pvp

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 27, 2009
So I was playing wizard101 with me and some friends the other day and we we were having fun playing practice pvp and then we said, hey lets go play ranked match since we've been doing good as a team overall. So we went to ranked pvp and it was ok we won and lost matches, but what got me infuriated the most was this one game, it was my level 33 friend, a level 41 and me 38 against level 10 6 6. And guess what THEY WON!
And how did they win? simple use two ra's and 1 storm lord in the fifth or sixth round. Is that really fair? Also they were all warlords while my team were just privates????

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
PhilosopherNecroma... on Jun 28, 2014 wrote:
So I was playing wizard101 with me and some friends the other day and we we were having fun playing practice pvp and then we said, hey lets go play ranked match since we've been doing good as a team overall. So we went to ranked pvp and it was ok we won and lost matches, but what got me infuriated the most was this one game, it was my level 33 friend, a level 41 and me 38 against level 10 6 6. And guess what THEY WON!
And how did they win? simple use two ra's and 1 storm lord in the fifth or sixth round. Is that really fair? Also they were all warlords while my team were just privates????
Yes it is fair. Think about this. They were way lower levels than you meaning you had multiple opportunities to beat them. You could have simply rushed them and bam, easy win. Letting them get the necessary pips for it was entirely on your head. That or you could've done what they were doing and use TC as well. They worked for the rank using their strategies and the fact that they were allowed to gain the pips they needed(the fact that they were warlords should've given you a major clue as to how they got the rank) really can't be called unfair. Good luck when dealing with low level warlords again!

Defender
Jul 11, 2013
I think it's really unfair to use treasure cards while doing PvP, because they like to win. Treasure cards should be unallowed in PvP. It's not fair, because the team you gone against have not learned the spells: Ra and Storm Lord. (There wasn't anyone who was in Storm, and that Balance wizards do not learn Ra until level 58) And that privates should go against privates.

Archmage

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
If your death friend had used a virulent plague treasure card, their attacks would have been shut down. You could have healed out of those attacks and then went on the attack, as players that are that low level do not have much health. If you counter what your opponents use, you have a much better chance of winning than if you don't. You are higher level. Use your massive advantages to your advantage.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Yep.
Is it fair? Yep. You all have the option of buying the same cards and using them.
They had more experience in ranked PvP.

but this is one of those things PvP'ers complain about a lot.

Explorer
May 08, 2014
Survivor
Aug 25, 2012
Ok. Tc has wrecked pvp i think. have any of you tried to pvp at magus? I am a storm magus fighting with my low health and be put up vs tc enchant spammers, medusa spammers, and tower tc spammers. how is it fair that a balance can start doing to pip judges and do six hundred damage per judge? what you wnat me to do be a heal and shield spamming storm?

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
PVP Master12321 on Jun 29, 2014 wrote:
Ok. Tc has wrecked pvp i think. have any of you tried to pvp at magus? I am a storm magus fighting with my low health and be put up vs tc enchant spammers, medusa spammers, and tower tc spammers. how is it fair that a balance can start doing to pip judges and do six hundred damage per judge? what you wnat me to do be a heal and shield spamming storm?
You wanna know how it's fair and how you can counter it? Simple. You can use TC as well. Keep your secondary school and try going for a third one that is TC based. You'll be able to adapt much more efficiently and find your odds might be more even.

Survivor
Sep 21, 2013
I am so tired of people using treasure cards in pvp. I mean really? pvp is about using your skills and spells not wasting your money and pips on tc. I keep getting killed in pvp cause of tc. I know "why don't I use treasure cards then? well I do not like to play like that.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Stormy101XD on Jun 30, 2014 wrote:
I am so tired of people using treasure cards in pvp. I mean really? pvp is about using your skills and spells not wasting your money and pips on tc. I keep getting killed in pvp cause of tc. I know "why don't I use treasure cards then? well I do not like to play like that.
LOL. it's clearly not "wasting your money and pips on tc" if they are winning. PvP is about using your skills and all tools available to your wizard to win. You decide to only use half the toolbox, others choose to use everything the game makes available to them. You really cannot blame losses on TC, blame it where it belongs on your own lack of strategy to counter them.

Survivor
Feb 20, 2012
It should still be allowed. and so what if they're using tc they are low level so just shield and if the attacks failed probably on next turn they all cannot draw a single card so you win by default!

James ShadowBlade 27

Survivor
Aug 25, 2012
Ok so i was on my magus storm commander close to warlord and i fight this level 50 private. i was thinking ok easy win.
but then first round towers, second round towers, third round towers... he ended up casting 20 tc towers and ran me out of cards. Then right after he said "not that your bad but i am better" like come on KI do something please. oh i have a idea for it. maybe put a max spells on tc as well so you are only allowed 4 tc in your side at once. and dont say oh you could have shattered because i like to pvp legit and if i did he would just cast another amking me lose 3 pips for pretty much nothing. please add this because this is just out of control and now people who all they need to do is click are becoming warlords... not fair.

Survivor
Aug 25, 2012
Joshua Starflame on Jun 30, 2014 wrote:
You wanna know how it's fair and how you can counter it? Simple. You can use TC as well. Keep your secondary school and try going for a third one that is TC based. You'll be able to adapt much more efficiently and find your odds might be more even.
dude i have been doing well in pvp working on my fourth overlord without tc. people can win without it. thats how you can pick apart the skilled from the non-skilled most of the time.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
Really, this same topic has come up so many times now it is just beyond ridiculous.

TC are allowed in PVP. They are part of the overall array of tools that people can use in the arena, and they add a level of challenge and unpredictability to PVP that makes it more interesting. In fact, PVP is really where TC are most useful -- most of them are not really needed in PVE, and staying in-school (or with regularly trained spells) in PVE is generally more effective. But in PVP, staying exclusively in-school is too predictable and easy to counter. Allowing people to get creative and think outside predictable and easy to counter patterns is exactly what makes PVP a different and interesting challenge from the rest of the game. That is exactly the challenge of PVP -- dealing with people who think and do things differently from what you expect, and learning how to develop flexible and effective strategies for coping with different strategies you encounter. TC are part of the PVP package -- and even a good part that makes people think outside their little boxes of what they expect.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
"Don't say oh you could have shattered because I like to play pvp legit"
Good for you. Too bad your opponent has no such qualms. If you choose to complain rather than use the tools given to you, that's your problem.

Explorer
May 08, 2014
I am a life warlord and I agree that people who do that are really annoying. But I cant say that I haven't made someone run out of cards before its pretty easy when they don't have a reshuffle. But the best thing I can tell you buy an In ice dispel and reshuffle in that way you can prevent someone from casting tower shield and reshuffle if you run out of cards.

Survivor
May 17, 2009
Using Tc's in PvP in no way shape or form unfair. It is a legitimate strategy rather anyone thinks it's unfair or not. Now about you case specifically.

A. Never go into a match expecting people to not use Tc's

B. Think about the level difference, I added up the level of your team and the level of the opposing team and in all there would be a 90 lvl difference between your team and their team. Also, yes they were warlords and you were privates but only because of the extreme level difference.

C. Honestly, if they hadn't of used Tc's they would have been destroyed and only may have won by amazing play by their team, sloppy play on your team, and luck.

D. Lastly and I'm not insulting you, but high level Tc's are easily countered for the most part. Ra's can be easily dealt with by Tower Shields, Weaknesses, Dispells, and more, same goes for the Storm Lord. You can also counter Tc's by using Tc's, but again I will bring up A. Tc's have been a huge part of PvP for a long time now. Always expect Tc's.

In conclusion there is nothing wrong with the use of Tc's because if there were issues with them KI would have placed lvl caps, bans, or something along those lines. Always expect Tc's, keep practicing, and if you need PvP advice I would be more than happy to help. If you think I know nothing of PvP, I am a owner of many warlords and have won matches against some of the best.

Jacob Pixie/Thunder/Frost/Lotus/Dragon/Dream/Griffin/Raven Caller ~ Spectral Evidence ~

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
PVP Master12321 on Jul 5, 2014 wrote:
dude i have been doing well in pvp working on my fourth overlord without tc. people can win without it. thats how you can pick apart the skilled from the non-skilled most of the time.
Skill in this game is using all of what's available to you efficiently. Don't get me wrong some people do amazingly well without TC and that's pretty impressive on your part. But not everyone is that lucky and some use their skills to get inventive with strategies and that's where TC come in. I mean me I'll readily admit I have no skill in PVP but that's because of how used I am to PVE... and before you ask I tend to not use TC regardless and try to save them for tough enemies in PVE. If I used them and used them efficiently I could probably do good. Notice I said efficiently. If they just use random TC with the belief that they'll win with it then yes I'd say they need work. TC are not instant wins, they just level the playing field... or admittedly in the case of level differences they could seal an opponents fate. Hey when you give both sides the option to use it there's going to be that eventuality.

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
Right then you really ought to have seen these replies coming. I've told you before TC are fair as you can use them as well. You choose not to. Yes I know you're working on your fourth warlord without TC and while I am impressed... Just because someone is beating you with TC doesn't mean it needs nerfing. As it is there's drawbacks to relying on TC already.
1. You gotta discard to use them.
They have to get rid of back-up spells in order to use TC in the first place.
2. They are one-use
Yeah, one-use spells. They have to constantly re-stock on them and can't use individual ones more than once per game which brings me to
3. Money money money
Think about it. Constant TC purchases are expensive. While you have more time to devote to your strategy, they will have to go and farm gold in order to continue their strategy.
and finally
4. Sidedecks are already small
Take a look at your sidedeck if you doubt this one. It's at max half the size of your deck and at least a third. They have much less spells to work off of than you do unless you run a painfully small deck.

That was a low blow the guy sent to you and I'll admit that. You don't taunt opponents that you beat, not even with half-compliments. But I will continue and say that usage of TC alone does not determine skill nor is it cheating as everyone can use it. How you use the TC determines it and I'd say this guy would be a skilled turtle... pity he's not turtley enough for the turtle club.

Survivor
Aug 25, 2012
Robobot1747 on Jul 6, 2014 wrote:
"Don't say oh you could have shattered because I like to play pvp legit"
Good for you. Too bad your opponent has no such qualms. If you choose to complain rather than use the tools given to you, that's your problem.
dude read the rest even if i shattered he would just place another and i waste 3 pips.

Survivor
Aug 25, 2012
Joshua Starflame on Jul 7, 2014 wrote:
Right then you really ought to have seen these replies coming. I've told you before TC are fair as you can use them as well. You choose not to. Yes I know you're working on your fourth warlord without TC and while I am impressed... Just because someone is beating you with TC doesn't mean it needs nerfing. As it is there's drawbacks to relying on TC already.
2. They are one-use
Yeah, one-use spells. They have to constantly re-stock on them and can't use individual ones more than once per game which brings me to
3. Money money money
Think about it. Constant TC purchases are expensive. While you have more time to devote to your strategy, they will have to go and farm gold in order to continue their strategy.
and finally
Take a look at your sidedeck if you doubt this one. It's at max half the size of your deck and at least a third. They have much less spells to work off of than you do unless you run a painfully small deck.

That was a low blow the guy sent to you and I'll admit that. You don't taunt opponents that you beat, not even with half-compliments. But I will continue and say that usage of TC alone does not determine skill nor is it cheating as everyone can use it. How you use the TC determines it and I'd say this guy would be a skilled turtle... pity he's not turtley enough for the turtle club.
skilled lol? all he did was use tower. how is that skill.

Survivor
Aug 25, 2012
2. They are one-use
3. Money money money
and finally

you forgot the up sides. you can use any ranked spells at low lvl, you can get spells that only schools can get aka rebirth, you can draw at anytime, you get third tc extra spells, you can have tons of one spell, you can stack tc with normal spells, and you can get extra high damage spells.

Survivor
Aug 25, 2012
Ricochety on Jul 6, 2014 wrote:
I am a life warlord and I agree that people who do that are really annoying. But I cant say that I haven't made someone run out of cards before its pretty easy when they don't have a reshuffle. But the best thing I can tell you buy an In ice dispel and reshuffle in that way you can prevent someone from casting tower shield and reshuffle if you run out of cards.
yea i know thats my fault i normally 2v2 with my balance friend so i dont have reshuffle trained but whats ice dispel gonna do waste to of my pips so he can use zero?

Survivor
Aug 25, 2012
Skill in this game is using all of what's available to you efficiently. Don't get me wrong some people do amazingly well without TC and that's pretty impressive on your part. But not everyone is that lucky and some use their skills to get inventive with strategies and that's where TC come in. I mean me I'll readily admit I have no skill in PVP but that's because of how used I am to PVE... and before you ask I tend to not use TC regardless and try to save them for tough enemies in PVE. If I used them and used them efficiently I could probably do good. Notice I said efficiently. If they just use random TC with the belief that they'll win with it then yes I'd say they need work. TC are not instant wins, they just level the playing field... or admittedly in the case of level differences they could seal an opponents fate. Hey when you give both sides the option to use it there's going to be that eventuality.
ya i guess but i dont think tc should be so good that it changes the game to make the more skilled person lose.

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
PVP Master12321 on Jul 7, 2014 wrote:
you forgot the up sides. you can use any ranked spells at low lvl, you can get spells that only schools can get aka rebirth, you can draw at anytime, you get third tc extra spells, you can have tons of one spell, you can stack tc with normal spells, and you can get extra high damage spells.
True enough. There are pros and cons to everything. The issue is most people only look at one side of things. I am well aware of the pros and cons but most people ignore one side. This is known as confirmation bias and it basically states that evidence that is derogatory to one's original idea is ignored... Happens all the time my friend and unfortunately I see it constantly on these boards.