Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ban Treasure Cards from Ranked PvP matches

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 18, 2008
10
Totally disagree. What happens to the fun and things after you don't have treasure cards?

Survivor
Apr 24, 2009
38
Wow, so in pvp you are meant to stand very still so the other guy can kill you. NO shields, no healing just stick out chin so it can be clearly seen.

gotcha'

Survivor
Mar 15, 2009
29
It's unfair to usre treasure cards since they are more powerful attack cards. Also if you use healing spells the battle will kepp going on and on. So neither one of these should stay in Ranked PvP matches. And none of us(wizard 101 players)should be spoiled sports we should just have fun with each other. All of us will stand strong! :) :) :) :-) :-) :D :D

Survivor
Mar 15, 2009
29
skbronco6 wrote:
Treasure cards can keep a match going forever or cause a match to end in a minute. Also, it isn't as much fun battling someone with say 20 tower shield treasure cards in a ranked match. In practice matches it would be fine because there is nothing at stake but it takes the fun out of ranked matches when people are just using suked up treasure cards to win every battle.
I agree with all of the messages here. So together we can make Ranked PvP matches more fun and fair.

Survivor
Mar 15, 2009
29
windtracer wrote:
glamourboy wrote:
I totally disagree with this. Because Tower Shields are the only shields against balance opponents. Think about it, without that shield, how can you defend against judgement? Besides Absorb which doesnt really do much.




A++ I agree, can't argue with that
I also think that no doubt about it here.

Defender
Apr 25, 2009
104
I was going to guess I wasn't the only one angry about this. There is no way a Hero of Unicorn way should kill everyone with an earthquake. I think in duels you should only be able to use the card if you're a high enough level to actually use it. Just "buying" the duel isn't fair at all. Sure, I guess it brings some surprise when you think you're safe and the lowest level on the other team pulls out an uber card and kills your whole team, but that's not really the kind of surprise I enjoy. I say ban them from PvP or put a level restraint on them.

Survivor
Dec 23, 2008
15
Now, as from experience from it myself, some lower level people that have like storm grandmasters make wild bolts with keen eyes and then totally kill people like in 2 times as a master! IT really annoys me, because they were also both life so when me and my friend tried to kill one, the other one healed him and then eventually wild bolted, so please let the treasure cards take its decent from PvP. Now, the only thing good about the treasure cards if your on the team that is using them, i like the fact that there is tower shields in the library because some people aren't ice or part ice thats what is cool about to treasure cards. So basically treasure cards has its up and downs, they're annoying, yet useful at the same time, so i dont know if you should bann them or not, or you tell me!

Survivor
Sep 01, 2008
21
i like it with the treasure cards because what if you run out of cards like i once did you have to use treasure cards if you equiped them of course if you dont have treasure cards and your opponent does then its like you already lost the game mostly if you dont have reshuffle

Defender
Sep 22, 2008
117
MasterCowboy wrote:
This is definitely a double edged sword. I recently was a victim of one level 18 myth wizard who very rarely threw any of his own level school spells. They were all treasure cards from ice shields to Orthrus. Was it because that was the only way he could win? That I can not say as like I stated he rarely if any ever threw his own school level spells. Should they be banned? No, I can not see banning as a solution. Should they be limited? No, that is not a viable solution either. Should they continue to be allowed. Yes, I am afraid so. This is after all, a game where treasure or gold cards are as big if not more a part of your deck as your own school is. Do I like the fact that with the right deck you can "load up" on treasure cards and win all your battles with them? No, I can't say as I do. Then of course I have to realize that I look at the arena a whole different way then do some. I see it as a place of honor and a place that you can face an opponent, do battle and then walk away with a different outlook on whatever happened. I did not say win the match. I mean you can come away with a little knowledge that you could use the next time. I new technique, or a new strategy or even a new friend. The arenas, since times of the knights, have been a place to face opponents and match your wits against each other. A place of honor and "civilized" combat. Do I still see that today? Its rare but yes, and those are the fights that keep me coming back to the arena. The fact that there are still some who strive to higher levels. Maybe one day we can all be able to do battles that way. Where we can do harm to one another and be safe in the fact that the arena is the only place that anyone actually dies only to be met outside by a smiling face and a "Good match."

Face me and do so with honor. You may win or lose but you will always get a fair fight. Regardless of the outcome.

James DeathHammer
lvl 50 GrandMaster
Master of Death
No Retreat No Surrender
And No One gets
left Behind
Inspirational man, you should be the spokesman of some huge company, you'd have everyone crying at the end of every one of your speeches, as for your challenge, how can I take you up on that? I realy want to see how a fight without stupid treasure tower shields ends up.

Defender
Sep 22, 2008
117
firedestroyer113 wrote:
Now, as from experience from it myself, some lower level people that have like storm grandmasters make wild bolts with keen eyes and then totally kill people like in 2 times as a master! IT really annoys me, because they were also both life so when me and my friend tried to kill one, the other one healed him and then eventually wild bolted, so please let the treasure cards take its decent from PvP. Now, the only thing good about the treasure cards if your on the team that is using them, i like the fact that there is tower shields in the library because some people aren't ice or part ice thats what is cool about to treasure cards. So basically treasure cards has its up and downs, they're annoying, yet useful at the same time, so i dont know if you should bann them or not, or you tell me!
If you use a treasure card like the wild bolt, then how does your opponent feel about the whole thing? If you don't like treasure cards but use them anyway then it doesn't really come out and say anything except, I don't like anything that unfairly turns the duel against me, but if I unfairly turn the duel against them, I am fine with it and have done nothing wrong. At least, that is what I get from what you're saying.

Defender
Sep 22, 2008
117
Nosleep wrote:
Wow, so in pvp you are meant to stand very still so the other guy can kill you. NO shields, no healing just stick out chin so it can be clearly seen.

gotcha'
That isn't what I said, I think that you should use what you have in your deck and if someone lands a huge blow on you, then oh well your deck wasn't with you that fight, pick your self pitying self up and fight again, or give-up and know you shied away from an actual challenge.

Defender
Sep 22, 2008
117
Another thing that drives me crazy is the lower-levels becoming warlords from treasure cards, honestly I have seen at least 5 people below level 30 that are warlords/commanders just because they have a wild bolt treasure card and I faced a balance guy (he had all of the shields already) but he decided to still use treasure card tower shields, because apparently having a shield for every other school wasn't enough! (I am fire school too)!

Explorer
Dec 29, 2008
56
I think they should sell more treasure cards or make crafting interesting to make treasure cards and only allow cards that are sold in the library,drops and crafted cards to be used. They should remove selling TOUGH AND KEENEYES and all accuracy buffs (KI can keep it as drops on quests and fights). These cards are the cheap way of making treasure cards,and defeats the purpose of crafting, as well as second and third schools.
I am ok with shields as treasure as anyone can use it and doesnt require accuracies and pips, and doesnt really damage your oppoment.

Grandmasters - Life, Death, Storm, Death, Balance
Magus - Myth
Noob - Fire

Delver
Mar 15, 2009
203
T-cards are fine in PvP but if there a problem limit how many that can be used in a match,say 3-5 T-cards.

I didnt use them before but i started, but it makes a match last way to long and boring,I like get in fight see who wins,not a 45min fight of T-cards,like i said limit how many T-cards that can be used in a match,3-5 should be good, you still can use T-cards just need to plan witch ones you will use a little better and matchs will not go forever an ever.


michael redblood
level 50 death/lighting

Defender
Sep 28, 2008
105
skbronco6 wrote:

as for your challenge, how can I take you up on that? I really want to see how a fight without stupid treasure tower shields ends up.


To take me up on a challenge as you put it is simple, be in the arena when I am. Another way of doing so is to name a place and time, realm and time, and give me two alternatives, there is still real life to deal with lol, so that we may attempt to find each other. I enjoy a good fight and look forward to seeing you there.

James DeathHammer
GrandMaster level 50
No Retreat, No Surrender
and No One gets left Behind
USArmy Retired

Delver
Mar 15, 2009
203
Treasure cards in PvP should be taken out,I started using them(an started winning) and i dont care for it i rather use my school spells and know i won or lost because my skills failed me not someone using treasure cards.
Arena should be determinded on your school spells not T-cards.

PvP should be sectioned out in to groups by level such as:1-20,21-40,40-50 (yes 40 level can play in two groups) no treasure cards.
Practise arena is like that why not ranked arena,
Ticket awards remain the same for all levels.

I know it may bring a lot of disagreement from some ppl but it should stop some most of the complaining about using T-cards and losing to lower level players using them.

michael redblood
level 50 death/storm

Delver
Mar 15, 2009
203
Firefly555 wrote:
yes please ban treasure cards from pvp and then make it menu chat only.
Consider rewarding players for being helpful to other players to encourage good behavior on the game. pvp has created a hateful atmosphere.


I agree 100% there is more bad behavior then when i 1st started name calling,more ppl scaming cards for codes when most codes are free.

I see ppl trading codes for cards alot,one child lost his T-cards to a non-usable code so I replaced them an a few more,it made him happy again an thanked me over an over.

Again I agree with you 100%

M Redblood
death 50level.

Survivor
Nov 16, 2008
17
Seems that everyone I play uses treasure cards. I do often stop if my openent obviously does not use them.

What annoys me is that some will complain that I used a treasure card, and them try to fry me with a wild bolt (as a non storm wizard!). Trust is hard to come by. Especially when they are better at casting it than my storm wizard is!

How about a simple set of combat options before you do your quick join? 2 checkboxes can be provided by KI.

allow treasure cards - yes/no
allow only players close to my level - yes/no

Everyone can be happy then. All the whining will hopefully move on to new topics (or back to old like Judgement). I seriously doubt you will find many who do battle without the cards though. Yeah, yeah, I'm sure I will get a couple hate messages for this comment, but the numbers just don't lie.

Treasure cards are tools of planning and preparation. Yeah, the battles are kind of long, but noone likes to lose.

Also, please lower those severly rediculously overpriced treasure cards back to pre-Grizzleheim days?

Survivor
May 06, 2009
1
Treasure cards simply make choosing a secondary school mean nothing, so a player can choose life as there secondary and still cast tower shield. That's ridicules there are ways to get around balance without tower. For all you ice wiz out there that say well i have tower any way yes and with a treasure card you can have two tower shields stack to down 105% of damage. You call that fair, take out the treasure cards and make people spec into these skills to use them in ranked play.

Survivor
Jun 23, 2009
9
When you really, really think about it- what it boils down to...is the competitive nature we all have.

Do you like to lose?
Do you want to win?

Those that lose a match- try to look for the reason why and instead of coming up with the real (or valid) response...search for the scapegoat. During my time at the arena- I've seen folks not wanting others to heal...or even shield. They want a quick "I win" button...because they are such talented players that you should roll aside for them?

...or is it- that they are just slightly impatient players wanting easy matches?

Take the time to develop a reasonable strategy, understand that like all things...your ranking may depend on a little time, energy and frustration at certain moments.

Like all good things...winning is about those key elements- not the scapegoat response.

If you look outside of wizard 101 and took this to a friendly game of paintball:

Player 1:
"Hey, that's no fair- he was hiding behind a tree!"

Player 2:
"?"

Player 1:
"Hey, that's not right- he was RUNNING!"

Player 2:
"??"

Player 1:
"Hey, that's no fair- you stood still this time and didn't hide...but you fired faster than me. You CAN'T DO THAT!"

Player 2:
"???"


Something tells me- that the problem rests within player one...for he can not be satisfied unless he wins all the time. Sure, there are valid difficulties such as the chain stunning that needed addressed. Perhaps even upping the pips of Wildbolt to four instead of two...but nothing as radical as some would like to think.

It's a game...

and as with most games- there is one player/team that wins...as another is defeated.

Most learn to take it well...and become better players as a result.


Survivor
Jul 05, 2009
6
motleychic wrote:
Treasure cards simply make choosing a secondary school mean nothing, so a player can choose life as there secondary and still cast tower shield. That's ridicules there are ways to get around balance without tower. For all you ice wiz out there that say well i have tower any way yes and with a treasure card you can have two tower shields stack to down 105% of damage. You call that fair, take out the treasure cards and make people spec into these skills to use them in ranked play.


First, I agree with you, but I would argue that treasure cards take away the need of choosing ANY school, primary OR secondary. Why worry about playing my school cards when I can just play treasure cards. It takes away any strategy of using what your primary, secondary, or tertiary schools have to offer, and takes away from the intent of PvP imo.

If I beat a FPS with cheat codes, replensihing health/armor when it gets low, then did I really beat the game? The ability to use treasure cards devalues the ranks we see, especially when you find a level 20 with commander, just as using cheat codes in an FPS devalues beating the game.

If you can't beat other players playing your class cards, did you truly beat the other player? The answer is no, but call me a purist.

Survivor
Aug 01, 2009
3
The treasure cards add a bit of spontaneity to the rock/paper/scissors formula. I like the concept. I'd say if there's any tuning to be done, they should either reduce the amount of treasure cards you can have in a deck, OR enact diminishing returns so we don't see as many of them spammed. 1st TC you use in a match is 100% effective, 2nd one is 75% effective (or however they scale it), etc.

I'm sure that dimishing returns on consumable cards is going to make people think really hard about whether they want to use it or not...

Survivor
Jun 09, 2009
39
i think we should keep treasure cards in pvp so that we can use the mutate storm snowman or mutate blaze beetle and all those cards.


jacob boomwalker lvl40 ice

Survivor
Jun 14, 2009
4
Militarymage wrote:
I COMPLETELY DISAGREE! Treasure cards are the only way to keep the duels from being "he/she that goes first wins." It mixes things up so you dont see the same deck from the same school over and over again.
i disagree why should a master or grand die to a jorneyman etc. when they truly earned there cards. yeah people who earned the cards can use traps and blades but people who use wildbolts to times and it doesnt fizzle and your dead that is just plain WRONG!

Robert GriffinHaven -MYTH CONJUERR
master level 46

Explorer
Dec 29, 2008
56
I think what this topic really is about "Enchanted" treasure cards. These are the cards created through keen eyes and other accuracy cards and as well as tough. If they wanted to retain making of cards these ways, KI should restrict trading of these "enchanted" cards as the other post suggested. This way you can still make those and use yet you cant share those.
All other "real" treasure cards that are sold in the library, bazaar , and drops can be traded.