Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Sun serpent in pvp

AuthorMessage
Hero
Dec 16, 2009
723
crystal2020164 on Dec 23, 2012 wrote:
Fateskin,you were the one that brought RoF up in the first place so cows has a good reason to bring it up to
No I wasnt the one who bought this up. You did actually on December 4th. Lets stick to the facts if we can, yes?

Survivor
May 21, 2010
44
Daniel have you played fire yet?sabertooth is amazing.it put a shield on you and is a pure balance type which balance hasnt had since ra.it atleast does about the same amount of chimera. Sun serpent does a lot less than RoF.If you read one of cows posts he does the math out and you will see the difference It also helps that ice can have IMMUNITY to fire and when it gets to the point that the attack HEALS them.Dont forget the other schools

Explorer
Jul 23, 2012
80
daniel river on Dec 23, 2012 wrote:
Yes, it's not a lot but consider this. With enough set ups, you could kill another high level on the opposing team with the damage focus while destroying the lower levels with less focused damage but still enough to defeat those without shields or good resistance. I really suggest you don't complain. Fire is already very powerful with RoF with the ability to wipe out shields on all enemies. Your all good is you face a legion shield spamming ice. Storm Owl is good because it gives Storm a pure damage attack to one enemy. Life got handed a good one, a DoT. Balance gets a bad one this time around. Ra isn't too good either. But i really can't complain about chimera power nova(weakness) and hydra. Those are great, but we can't have everything every single time. RoF, Efreet. Now now fire, let's not get greedy.
Do i need to remind you fire got 2 useless spells on avalon, detonate and backdraft

Explorer
Jul 23, 2012
80
Blaze W on Dec 24, 2012 wrote:
No i have to say they have a good point and some bad points RoF was a dot damage not a single hit card sun serpent is not DOT but more of a AOE attack. They are nothing alike. On is dot and the other is AOE. Now to the next thing Storm as gotten to much in there spells in the past. storm owl is a single hit attack so by right it will have little more attack storm owl is like 1650 ? Ok lets go with that, Sun serpent is lets go with the high number 1000 now you have 300 a player has two mobs normally ok so that is a other 300 damage per mob adding to 600 now we are at 1600 damage output now if players join and you have 4 mobs you go to 300 x 4 your at 1200 add the 1000 to that 2200 card damage. making this the most highest hitting 88 spell in game. So i have to say us fires got one nice spell. Have a nice day.
That is only with four mobs.

Survivor
May 21, 2010
44
Eric Stormbringer on Dec 24, 2012 wrote:
No I wasnt the one who bought this up. You did actually on December 4th. Lets stick to the facts if we can, yes?
I meant you brought up the DoT spells.

Delver
Jul 21, 2009
225
cowstastegood on Dec 24, 2012 wrote:
That is only with four mobs.
If you read the Whole post that is what I said. I broke the damage down from 2 mobs to 4 mobs. So people understand what this spell is and how it works.

Explorer
Jul 23, 2012
80
Blaze W on Dec 25, 2012 wrote:
If you read the Whole post that is what I said. I broke the damage down from 2 mobs to 4 mobs. So people understand what this spell is and how it works.
I did all the math out too and i am comparing it to rof and how much total base damage it does. sun serpent is only better than rof with 1 enemy in battle and rof is better with any other amount of enemies.

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
406
I really doesn't matter how powerful all spells compare to each other as long as they get the job done, rof for mobs, serpent for boss.

Survivor
May 21, 2010
44
AstroStorm on Dec 27, 2012 wrote:
I really doesn't matter how powerful all spells compare to each other as long as they get the job done, rof for mobs, serpent for boss.
we are talking about pvp not pve. sun serpent is a mess in pvp and rof is really good.it is easy to shield against ss and hard to shield against rof. ss still isn't good against mobs because you have to fight more of them and bosses still can shield.

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
406
crystal2020164 on Dec 29, 2012 wrote:
we are talking about pvp not pve. sun serpent is a mess in pvp and rof is really good.it is easy to shield against ss and hard to shield against rof. ss still isn't good against mobs because you have to fight more of them and bosses still can shield.
So a spell is only good to anyone if it's good in pvp, every notice how storm owl can be shield so easily and yet i've never seen one person complain about this, i never even see it used in pvp. Sunserpent has it's own unique battle style that can only be used at a given time, if your think relying on this spell everytime you get 10 pips, of course it's going to be a mess. I've played pvp with a lot of fire friends and they say sun serpent is great just when the time gives it.

Defender
Jan 25, 2009
173
Every spell has their own time of necessarity. For example, Efreet is perfect to use right before a person attacks as well, due to that painful weakness. Rain of Fire is perfect to use against 4 mobs or a 4v4 PvP, as it is the strongest DoT in the game so far, breaks shields, and beats up those pesky minions in a boss fight, where as it's not as useful in 1v1 as Efreet would be.

Given the example, Sun Serpent is pretty useful in it's own way too. I like to use Serpent in 2v2 when one of the opposing players is REALLY close to dying (say, he has like 300 health left). Not only does Serpent finish him off, but it also inflicts 1200-1300 damage (plus boosts and all) on the other player. See?

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
406
KorekuEternal on Jan 4, 2013 wrote:
Every spell has their own time of necessarity. For example, Efreet is perfect to use right before a person attacks as well, due to that painful weakness. Rain of Fire is perfect to use against 4 mobs or a 4v4 PvP, as it is the strongest DoT in the game so far, breaks shields, and beats up those pesky minions in a boss fight, where as it's not as useful in 1v1 as Efreet would be.

Given the example, Sun Serpent is pretty useful in it's own way too. I like to use Serpent in 2v2 when one of the opposing players is REALLY close to dying (say, he has like 300 health left). Not only does Serpent finish him off, but it also inflicts 1200-1300 damage (plus boosts and all) on the other player. See?
Also the initial strongest hit of sun serpent is immune to the effects of beguile, so if your going second and someone beguiles you, you can still hit them hard, and everyone else on your team doesn't suffer as much as they would if it were rain of fire or another aoe.

Defender
Sep 29, 2008
146
I think that sun serpent has an instant kill glitch on it cause it instant killed me in jade gear when i fully blocked the first hit that had a ton of traps on(for the first hit only) second hit only had feint and 2 blades plus gear boost minus 79resist but it instant knocked me out when i had about 1500 health left and a tower...

Survivor
May 21, 2010
44
AstroStorm on Dec 29, 2012 wrote:
So a spell is only good to anyone if it's good in pvp, every notice how storm owl can be shield so easily and yet i've never seen one person complain about this, i never even see it used in pvp. Sunserpent has it's own unique battle style that can only be used at a given time, if your think relying on this spell everytime you get 10 pips, of course it's going to be a mess. I've played pvp with a lot of fire friends and they say sun serpent is great just when the time gives it.
So. I pvp because beat Azteca. What am I supposed to do?i could finish every single quest but questing is boring.what else is there to do solo the whole game or get all wizards of every school to lvl 90? Uh NO!!!

Explorer
Aug 23, 2012
84
Sun serpent in my opinion is meant for PvE Bosses, using blade stacking and auras to gain damage. If you use enough blades and traps, it will kill the boss and the minion(s) in one hit.

Survivor
May 21, 2010
44
CatcherFire on Apr 2, 2013 wrote:
Sun serpent in my opinion is meant for PvE Bosses, using blade stacking and auras to gain damage. If you use enough blades and traps, it will kill the boss and the minion(s) in one hit.
I think I know the power of SS because I am fire and use it in pve. Other schools got good pvp spells. Life got their first DoT, ice got a move that can take away pips and it can stop the opponent's attacks, storm got a massive hit, myth gets a sort of power hit and it takes a pip. I haven't seen anyone use sabertooth yet in pvp. Avenging fossil is a lot like sun serpent.

Defender
Jan 08, 2010
104
crystal2020164 on Dec 3, 2012 wrote:
i have used sun serpent many times in pvp and i find it to be a pretty weak spell comepared to other spells fire has gotten.i understand it is supposed to hit one person for 900-1000 damage and hit everyone for 300 damge, but i feel like the damge to everyone should be 400-550. What is everyone else's thoughts about it. Im not saying it is bad or ki isnt putting thought into spells just wondering why it does a low amount.i am just disappointed.
Fire isnt storm, they are slightly weaker, but if you up the overall damage the total is about 1300-1550 which is just as strong as storm owl AND stom owl only hits one person with 0 effects. Sun serpent hits just 100 more than rof because its a unique spell, it hits the first person for 900-1000, then hits the same person for 300 damage and then 300 damage to everyone else. I have almost lost a pvp match because it is similar to myth's minotaur and orthrus. I dont think any of it needs to be changed.

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
523
My fire wasn't too excited to get the Sun Serpent spell, but when my other wizards were one hit killed several times in PvP by a well timed and boosted Sun Serpent, I realized it at least had some good value for PvP.

Survivor
Oct 16, 2011
5
this is angel blade hunter There alot of error and problems with the fire school spells 1 heck hound need to strike a damage as soon as it blows fire first like every other schools over time spells plus why is our hit damage the lowest and only reach up to 60 in damage point in our clothing gear in wich the fire spell panel says we was the strongest out of all schools. and it take like four to five pips to cast a decent spell. Another problems is it seem all the over time spells are low hit damage and mainly close so the same damage hit dragon shouldntt be near scold and rain of fire shouldnt be near dragon and kills the shit out your pips. Another problems is why all other schools got a copy of our spells all schools should have there own uniqe spells to cast no ccopy cats. swear wish i was a game programmer i would of made ever thing equal but with diffrent advantage wich means not showing favritism to certain school wich these programers did. there alot of bugs and error need to be fix with this wizard101 game you shouldnt have to use your training point to by each level spell first before getting it if your level 58 then you should be able to get it not get level 1 first to get that one ther alot of fishy things going on with this game i notice hope it aint just me. it seem its just a hustle to spend money and to take alot to gain training points. this needs a whole upgrade on alot of issue in this game.

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
393
I don't know if anyone has noticed this but even with colossal on sun serpent efreet does more up front damage then sun serpent(with colossal of course). I mean after all its the first attack that counts when it comes to bosses right(unless you bladed up for heck hound)?

Explorer
Nov 17, 2012
91
pethatcher1 on Dec 3, 2012 wrote:
Sun serpent is the only spell that actually hits all enemies. All the other schools only hit one person. So that 300 seems like a pretty fair amount and that would make sun serpent even closer to the amount storm owl does.
actually i have casted avenging fossil on an oponent and it hit one person then put DOTs on all the enemies (Blaze Moonmender promethean)

Defender
Dec 18, 2008
105
cowstastegood on Dec 24, 2012 wrote:
Do i need to remind you fire got 2 useless spells on avalon, detonate and backdraft
Detonate and Backdraft are useless? That is as far from the truth as you can get! I'm sorry, but fire hasn't had a bad spell since Rain of Fire. You are clearly not using what your school gives you properly. I would suggest not playing fire at all if you can't learn how to use their spells effectively.

Survivor
Jan 03, 2011
14
You serious? Sun Serpent is by far the best Azteca spell alongside Storm Owl and you are asking for a buff? Balance needs a change if anything, nobody wants the dang spirit shield.

Survivor
May 02, 2012
11
1. ss is a great spell if you wait for a good timing. 2. fireblades still affect the 300. 3. if you critical it becomes one of the best spells and fire has the highest critical as far as i can tell.
& so i understand both points.

Explorer
Nov 17, 2012
91
corybur96 on May 20, 2013 wrote:
You serious? Sun Serpent is by far the best Azteca spell alongside Storm Owl and you are asking for a buff? Balance needs a change if anything, nobody wants the dang spirit shield.
unless you're fighting balance,death,myth, or life you do lol