Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Second School Help

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 28, 2009
Ok so i am a level 10 necromancer ( death wizard ) and i am gonna pick my second school what is a good second school for me ? I solo A LOT i have a friend who is a Myth/Storm so i was wondering what is a good second school ohhh and i dont really do a lot of PvP

Explorer
May 09, 2009
Well if you like to solo I think I would choose Life.

You can attack/heal and heal all in the same deck!

Survivor
Jul 11, 2009
How do you "second school"? Is that the same as creating a new wizard? I've gone to a level 15 in a short time just by hit and miss and so I'm afraid I've skipped over some important aspects to the game. I do love it though!
Thanks for any insight you can give.

Defender
May 29, 2009

As you progress through the game and level up, you will receive something called training points. You get training points at level 4, 8, 12, 16, 20. And from then on, one training point every 5 levels. You also earn a training point by completing the Prospector Zeke quests (one in each world).

These training points allow your wizard to learn spells from other schools. However, you can't just pick the spell you want to learn, you have to learn them in order (lowest to highest).

Some things to keep in mind about "second" schools. It's not really a second school -- meaning you don't have the chance to learn all the spells for that school. It's just the spells taught by the various teachers in Ravenwood and a few other locations. Also, are you aware of power pips? The yellow pips that show up around you in the battle circle? those count as two pips. However, spells that are NOT from your primary school will count this as one pip only.

Having said all that, I think choosing a second (or third school) comes down to what complements your primary school the best. I'm fire so I can do plenty of damage with the fire school spells, so I chose to train life spells (up to satyr) so I can heal myself and others. Then I wanted better defenses so I chose to train ice spells up to tower shield. I almost never use any of the ice spells except tower shield and I almost never use any of the life spells except the pixie and satyr healing. That's just one strategy -- I'm sure there are others that work as well.

LadyJo wrote:
How do you "second school"? Is that the same as creating a new wizard? I've gone to a level 15 in a short time just by hit and miss and so I'm afraid I've skipped over some important aspects to the game. I do love it though!
Thanks for any insight you can give.

Survivor
Jun 24, 2009
It depends on how many crowns you're willing to spend...

I really like the path I took as Death but it cost about 3k in crowns to do it. I went Balance until level 12 to get weakness and then respec'd out of it (for free) at level 12 to go Ice. Then I went Ice to 16 for tower shield, got the spirit trap at 20/blade at 25 and Balance to Weakness. Once I got enough training points to get Satyr, Tower Shield, and Spirit Blade I respec'd again to drop the Balance to Weakness.

At this point I'm faced with the choice of picking Weakness back up with my last 3 training points or getting the healing aura with 2 of the points and reshuffle with the last point. Grabbing Weakness would be more of a balanced (pardon the pun) approach and would help you more in duels. Weakness tends to be weaker (again, pardon the pun) against the standard game though as monsters don't tend to stack a lot of blades/traps. Since the monsters also don't tend to heal that often I'm leaning toward using the max-life to get the aura and then reshuffle for lack of another place to put that last point.

Defender
May 29, 2009
As death, you can heal yourself already, so I wouldn't choose Life. I think you need a good AoE spell (area of effect -- a spell that damages all enemies at once). Death school doesn't have one until scarecrow, but that's not until level 48. AoE will be really helpful in dealing with mobs in krokotopia and beyond.

So you have a choice between Fire (Meteor strike), Myth (Humongofrog), or Ice (Blizzard). Ice takes 7 training points to get and isn't as powerful. Fire and Myth AoE takes 6 training points to get. Meteor strike will do a big more damage than Humongofrog. Both cost 4 pips to cast.

If I were you, I'd choose Humongofrog. Why? Because with another training point, you should get the Spirit Blade (life, death, myth combo blade) from the balance tree in krokotopia. It will increase the damage you can do with your death spells since it will stack on top of your regular death blade. Also, this will give you a myth blade that you can use with humongofrog that will do about 450 damage to all enemies. With meteor strike, you will have an unbladed attack that will do about 330 damage to all enemies.

sure you can spend another training point and get the elemental blade that gives you a fireblade, but you'll probably never even put it in your deck since it doesn't help your death spells.

good luck with your decision.

munkeyboy54 wrote:
Ok so i am a level 10 necromancer ( death wizard ) and i am gonna pick my second school what is a good second school for me ? I solo A LOT i have a friend who is a Myth/Storm so i was wondering what is a good second school ohhh and i dont really do a lot of PvP

Defender
May 29, 2009

The beauty of death school is that he can do this already. Not only in the same deck, he can attack and heal in the same spell.

He already has Ghoul which can do limited healing. At the end of wizard city, he'll get Sacrifice which can heal, and at level 16, he'll get Vampire which can also heal. And I think everyone gets the healing fairy spell.

With ghoul and vampire, death wizards don't have to make the decision to attack or heal, they can do both at the same time. By the time he's level 16, he'll have 4 spells that can heal in some way.

I'm not a death wizard, but my next wizard might be. ;-)

Rho170 wrote:
Well if you like to solo I think I would choose Life.

You can attack/heal and heal all in the same deck!