Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Extreme Game Lag

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 23, 2009
Hi there,

For some reason when I start up Wizard 101 the game is extremely laggy and almost unplayable. I have a good PC, so I'm not quite sure why this is happening. I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I don't believe any of my in game settings are the cause, I feel it has to do with something else I may be missing.

From what I've noticed, my GPU Usage is extremely low. So I'm not quite sure why it is.

Settings are maxed out. Lowering them did not change anything.

Resolution I play on is 3440x1440. Lowering this did not change anything.

I disabled my GPU SLI, nothing changed.

Internet speed is not an issue, nor is connection issues.

Restarting the game and PC changed nothing.

All background applications are closed.

Anti-virus is not effecting it either.

The frames are pretty much unplayable sadly, mostly always 10 or less.

Hopefully you guys can help me out, I just bought a membership and would hate to lose game time!

----

PC Specs:

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.5Ghz

GPU: Dual 980 Ti Hybrids

RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 3000Mhz

Of course, there are more components, but I feel like these are the only important ones in my case.

Survivor
Dec 05, 2011
Same for me with exception that when I turned on my computer this morning, my pc went through MAJOR Windows 10 update that took over an hour. I uninstalled Wiz, am reinstalling but still horrible horrible lag....

Survivor
Nov 28, 2010
I have the same problem. Gtx970, 32gb ddr3 ram, and an fx8370. They said they are looking into it, and a lot of other players are having the same issue as well.

Survivor
Sep 02, 2009
Osto Gamer on Aug 5, 2016 wrote:
Hi there,

For some reason when I start up Wizard 101 the game is extremely laggy and almost unplayable. I have a good PC, so I'm not quite sure why this is happening. I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I don't believe any of my in game settings are the cause, I feel it has to do with something else I may be missing.

From what I've noticed, my GPU Usage is extremely low. So I'm not quite sure why it is.

Settings are maxed out. Lowering them did not change anything.

Resolution I play on is 3440x1440. Lowering this did not change anything.

I disabled my GPU SLI, nothing changed.

Internet speed is not an issue, nor is connection issues.

Restarting the game and PC changed nothing.

All background applications are closed.

Anti-virus is not effecting it either.

The frames are pretty much unplayable sadly, mostly always 10 or less.

Hopefully you guys can help me out, I just bought a membership and would hate to lose game time!

----

PC Specs:

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.5Ghz

GPU: Dual 980 Ti Hybrids

RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 3000Mhz

Of course, there are more components, but I feel like these are the only important ones in my case.
I have had the same thing happen to me too! It was better when the Summer update wasn't there, but now it's EXTREMELY laggy for me since the update. I crashed when I was in a Krokopatra Exalted Duel and used Hungry Caterpillar. It showed me a report to fill out and I'm sick off all these things happening.

I agree, it's getting hard to even play anymore, and I hate it so much.

-Tyler LifeRunner

Prodigious Theurgist

Survivor
Jun 06, 2009
It has to do with the new windows update and the new summer update. I heard that Kingisle is going to try to fix this "as soon as possible" but we all know they take years to solve issues like this.

Survivor
Aug 08, 2015
I have been having the same issues. It makes my game unbearable to play. I have played the game on this same laptop many of times without a single issue. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, twice. I have made sure all my drivers are up to date. I have done everything I know to do. I can get on my Xbox and play games just fine so I don't see it being the Internet.

Plus on top of the issues you commented, mine will stop working. The game won't FREEZE but I ant access any doors, mobs and wisps just go through the walls, and I can't even quit the game at that point.

Even worse while its downloading items in the background something will always get stuck at 0% and stay there.

I have contacted Kingsisle two times about my issues and they have not replied a single time. As far as I am concerned at this point I'm through with the game.

Survivor
Aug 17, 2009
What's your operating system? If it's Windows 10, then there is a bug that is causing extremely low framerate for that version.

Survivor
Aug 22, 2011
This is a problem that currently plagues any one whose computer has been updated to the Windows 10 Anniversary Edition. This update is similar to Windows 8's 8.1 update and the game obviously is having some issues with GPU usage in this update. As far as I know, Kingsisle is working on getting a patch out which I hope they complete soon, because more and more people are going to be affected as this Windows 10 Anniversary update continues to roll out. Right now, there is nothing we can do be wait, unfortunately.

Geographer
Jun 06, 2008
Hi! I just wanted to confirm what others are saying. We are working on a fix to the lag being caused by the Windows 10 anniversary update and hope to have a fix implemented sometime in the coming week. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Survivor
Feb 23, 2009
Dworgyn on Aug 6, 2016 wrote:
Hi! I just wanted to confirm what others are saying. We are working on a fix to the lag being caused by the Windows 10 anniversary update and hope to have a fix implemented sometime in the coming week. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Thanks for the reply, that is comforting to know. Though bummer I am already missing out on the membership I just purchased!

Hope to hear some good news soon about the update!

Survivor
Aug 14, 2008
So after experimenting for a bit with a few settings I can say that the only way to really fix it is to go back to the version of windows that worked. On the new version (the one with super game lag) you can do it through these steps:
1. Right click on your taskbar and click settings on the bottom. It has a gear next to it.
2. Click home (this is where i'm trying to remember what I did)
3. Click Update & security, which is the last one
4. Under one of these tabs it will have an option to go back to a previous version of windows
5. Go through the prompt from windows about why you want to roll back to a previous version
6. It will then restart your computer
Now something important that windows said is that your windows settings will also go back to what they were when you last had this version, and that it *MIGHT* do something to your computer files, although I don't think it did to mine.
One more thing, this worked for me but I don't know if it works for everyone since I don't know how many people have done this already. So don't blame me if anything screws up, but please post if it screws up because i'm sure we'd all rather wait a week for the update rather than screwing up our PCs.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
The problems aren't just affecting those with Windows 10. It is causing problems for many who do not have that OS. I for one have XP and others are using Windows 7 through 8.1.

What I have noticed through all the threads regarding this update is that it is affecting the various OS is different ways. For some of us, it was just disconnects, not being able to log in and excessive lag. Others crashed, white screens which they are not able to get out of unless they do a hard reboot (which isn't good for the computer if done too many times). So many different issues that it seems almost and impossible task to fix.

The main question is, Will this fix work for everyone? Not just those with Windows 10. We are now into the 2nd week of a wide range of issues that don't seem to be getting any better. I am now wondering if the problems may have actually started when Test first went online. I know I had an excessive amount of lag when I went into test from the beginning and it seemed to carry over to live. I did not experience the disconnects and unable to log into live until that hit on July 28th enmass.

Although I have been able to tend gardens which took 3 to 4 hours to do because of the lag, and switching characters was almost impossible. I have not and won't attempt to quest at this time.

Survivor
Feb 23, 2009
Gadinn on Aug 7, 2016 wrote:
So after experimenting for a bit with a few settings I can say that the only way to really fix it is to go back to the version of windows that worked. On the new version (the one with super game lag) you can do it through these steps:
1. Right click on your taskbar and click settings on the bottom. It has a gear next to it.
2. Click home (this is where i'm trying to remember what I did)
3. Click Update & security, which is the last one
4. Under one of these tabs it will have an option to go back to a previous version of windows
5. Go through the prompt from windows about why you want to roll back to a previous version
6. It will then restart your computer
Now something important that windows said is that your windows settings will also go back to what they were when you last had this version, and that it *MIGHT* do something to your computer files, although I don't think it did to mine.
One more thing, this worked for me but I don't know if it works for everyone since I don't know how many people have done this already. So don't blame me if anything screws up, but please post if it screws up because i'm sure we'd all rather wait a week for the update rather than screwing up our PCs.
Thanks for the tip.

Though after uninstalling the windows update even when I tried (Didn't have an option to go to a previous version), as soon as I booted up it just installed the update immediately.

I hope this comes soon, I'm losing my days of membership I bought recently, which is a bummer!

I know the staff is working hard on a fix though.

Explorer
Mar 14, 2010
Hi, I would like to contribute that I am using a laptop with Windows 10 built-in and every since the last patch I have been slowed to a crawl. My laptop is no spring chicken, but this is recent for me.

Survivor
Jul 02, 2016
This happened to me too and i just bought my membership and some crowns and i really want to use them so please fix this fast

~Brian Wintersword level 35

Survivor
Dec 01, 2012
Yep, game play is just not happenin' if you can't even move around .. and I shut off all the effects too.. no difference. And, upon exiting had to reboot since it totally screwed with the system level graphics performance as well .. what a mess.! -yes, using Win10 Anniversary Edition. Nvidia GTX960 .. so, no real problem with my hardware.

Best of luck guys, I'll check back in a month or so and see if its better.

Defender
Jul 16, 2014
A month? Lol guess you don't play much. They said possibly fix will be tomorrow morning if all goes well. No need to wait a month.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
The problem is in Widows, not the game. Especially windows 10.

If you can stop using windows 10, I suggest you do so.

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
It is unreasonable to expect people to rollback an OS and stay on that outdated OS for a single game. KI knows this, because they fixed their incompatibility issue.

Curious, what is the problem with Windows 10?

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
PaigeGoldenspear on Aug 10, 2016 wrote:
It is unreasonable to expect people to rollback an OS and stay on that outdated OS for a single game. KI knows this, because they fixed their incompatibility issue.

Curious, what is the problem with Windows 10?
It may be a little unreasonable, but I have been using XP since it was released. I have had no problems until this latest update to the game. I can play any game or just plain surf the web.

As for the problems with Windows 10? Some research into that OS might have saved some headaches. It was known to be bugged from the beginning and when I researched it, it had several open back doors. In other words, it was easy to hack.

Survivor
Aug 04, 2009
I thought this was just my problem. I have windows 10 and since the latest game update my game would not complete loading, it would hang up in Arcanum with Wizards Graphical Client exe.....sooo, I tried to reinstall the game, as I've done in the past when things go weird, and no luck. I can't get the game to load anyhow.

I know y'all are working on this, it's just hard not to know how long you think it might be before we can play again.

Good luck on the fix and putting up with our impatience!

Geographer
Jun 06, 2008
Alexis Moonhaven on Aug 12, 2016 wrote:
I thought this was just my problem. I have windows 10 and since the latest game update my game would not complete loading, it would hang up in Arcanum with Wizards Graphical Client exe.....sooo, I tried to reinstall the game, as I've done in the past when things go weird, and no luck. I can't get the game to load anyhow.

I know y'all are working on this, it's just hard not to know how long you think it might be before we can play again.

Good luck on the fix and putting up with our impatience!
The issue with Windows10 and the lag experienced in Wizard101 was fixed on Wednesday, 10 August. If you're still having trouble connecting, please contact Customer Support to see if they can assist you further.

Email: support@wizard101.com
Web: https://www.wizard101.com/CustomerSupport/game

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
I'm not sure if anybody else is experiencing this, but I've been finding a lot of lag around housing. At first it only seemed to be the multi-plot gardening spells. The animations would run normal, but it took forever for the affects to be applied to the plants. During that time the entire window would slowly progress. Every movement took like 3 to 4 seconds to register. It took about 2 minutes for a spell like Grand Magic to finally end and motion to return to normal speed.

Then just last night I was setting up a new 69 plot garden, and moving my crates started lagging too. When I placed them, it would be about 1 - 2 seconds after I set them down before the placement sound would play and I could move on.

I have experienced some slight lag issues elsewhere in the game, but the housing seems to be the worst. It's definitely not an issue of having too many items placed because it was a brand now castle I had just bought a couple of days ago. The only thing placed at the time were my 8 crates and a few garden plots.