Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Gender Neutral Pronouns in Menu Chat

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 10, 2014
Title. There are a lot of instances of "He will do this," "Can you do this to him," in the Menu Chat, specifically in the battle-section. Please change these to something along the lines of "The boss will cheat if you..." or "They will cheat if you..." (instead of "He will cheat if you..."), as well as all the others will male pronouns. Not only is this not inclusive but it can cause confusion for Menu Chat players when fighting female bosses.

Thanks for considering

Survivor
Mar 27, 2017
It'd be a good idea to change this, I agree

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Just change to "they/them"

Also I feel like it's because many of the cheating bosses are male.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
Dont change it, if a person is actually a he, he probably would want to be called he, just add the gender neutral ones, you dont have to delete the ones the have a specific gender.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Cori Blue on Mar 12, 2021 wrote:
Title. There are a lot of instances of "He will do this," "Can you do this to him," in the Menu Chat, specifically in the battle-section. Please change these to something along the lines of "The boss will cheat if you..." or "They will cheat if you..." (instead of "He will cheat if you..."), as well as all the others will male pronouns. Not only is this not inclusive but it can cause confusion for Menu Chat players when fighting female bosses.

Thanks for considering
Doesn't KI use "She" in the case of a female boss? Inclusivity can become ridiculous.

Survivor
Jun 10, 2014
To update, because some seem to be confused:

I am only suggesting changing "He/Him" to "They/Them" in the Battle Section Menu chat options. I am not suggesting to add "She/Her" variants of all the existing "He/Him" phrases, but to change them all to "They/Them." These menu chat options are only available within the battle section of menu chat in reference to enemies or bosses, NOT players.

Champion
Nov 22, 2008
I will also point out that there are many cases (Robots, golems, etc) where there is no gender, but you still want to discuss the mob/boss. BunDozer is one people are probably familiar enough with by now, and it is a golem. The game calls the BunDozer and it and so it would make sense to refer to it with they/them.

It's not just about inclusivity, people. While that is a MAJOR reason, it's important to remember that not everything in Wizard101 has a gender and that we don't need to give everything a gender.

I fully support the suggestion to change boss phrases from He/Him to They/Them.