Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A new way of surveying players

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 23, 2009
Hey everyone,

As some of you may know, the @Wizard101Devs account on Twitter has put out surveys so that people can vote for which spells they would like to see be trainable in the game. However, this way of collecting data is biased since they are only collecting data from a convenience sample...people who have a Twitter account. To truly gather a better representation of what players would like to see as trainable spells, I think it would be a good idea if the developers could figure out a way to send the survey out through the game but only to a random sample of players.

They could do one of the following:
The developers send the survey out through the game to a random number of active wizards of each school of magic.
The developers send the survey out through the game to a random number of active players of each age group.
The developers send the survey out through the game to a random number of active players of each player longevity group (meaning players who have played the game for less than a year, players who have played 1-2 years, players who have played 3-5 years, and players who have played 5+ years).

Each of these ways would be unbiased, as long as the samples selected are random, and it would truly make sure that all players are represented when surveys are conducted and data is collected.

Administrator
twinabc on Jan 25, 2021 wrote:
Hey everyone,

As some of you may know, the @Wizard101Devs account on Twitter has put out surveys so that people can vote for which spells they would like to see be trainable in the game. However, this way of collecting data is biased since they are only collecting data from a convenience sample...people who have a Twitter account. To truly gather a better representation of what players would like to see as trainable spells, I think it would be a good idea if the developers could figure out a way to send the survey out through the game but only to a random sample of players.

They could do one of the following:
The developers send the survey out through the game to a random number of active wizards of each school of magic.
The developers send the survey out through the game to a random number of active players of each age group.
The developers send the survey out through the game to a random number of active players of each player longevity group (meaning players who have played the game for less than a year, players who have played 1-2 years, players who have played 3-5 years, and players who have played 5+ years).

Each of these ways would be unbiased, as long as the samples selected are random, and it would truly make sure that all players are represented when surveys are conducted and data is collected.
I like the idea of in-game resources like this, something I hope we can do in the future.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
You should have also posted this to your facebook page. I don't mean posting the link to the twitter poll, I mean post the poll itself. You'd have another avenue for opinions. Why didnt you post it here to the forums? You guys can do polls and reach a HUGE amount of people here. If you want the most feedback, then you should post things like this everywhere you can.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
I feel like even having something in the launcher as a notification would be better that links to the Wizard101 website. On Twitter you can have people that don't even play the game just voting to vote.

Defender
Jul 26, 2012
Great idea! I think an important aspect of retaining players both old and new is a feeling that developers are listening to players and at the very least considering their feedback when making changes. More communication channels between the players and developers will boost the game's overall longevity.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
Great Idea but I am confused why do you have to ask a player of each school, age group etc. There might be an life wizard that is obsessed with anything related to fire because it seems you are assuming that a wizard from a certain school must have a certain personality. Also I think everybody here is underestimating the individual power of a 12 year old because there will be the little kids group 3-13 and the older kids 14-17 and adults 18+ but it actually should be little kids 3-8 older kids 9-17 and adults 18+ if you were going to make the second option great but I have met a good amount of people who underestimate 13 people of age 13 and below

Defender
Jul 26, 2012
Coyle IceBalanceSt... on Jan 27, 2021 wrote:
Great Idea but I am confused why do you have to ask a player of each school, age group etc. There might be an life wizard that is obsessed with anything related to fire because it seems you are assuming that a wizard from a certain school must have a certain personality. Also I think everybody here is underestimating the individual power of a 12 year old because there will be the little kids group 3-13 and the older kids 14-17 and adults 18+ but it actually should be little kids 3-8 older kids 9-17 and adults 18+ if you were going to make the second option great but I have met a good amount of people who underestimate 13 people of age 13 and below
Asking players questions based on their school could be very important for changing spells or adding new spells to that particular school.

For example, some Twitter polls during the spell audit asked players if Mystic Colossus should remove a ward before hitting in exchange for slightly less damage or retain the old effect of hitting first with greater damage followed by ward removal. Marking feedback as being from actual Myth wizards is going to give developers a much more better sense of what players of that school would like to see done.

The inverse could also be important for PvP issues. For example, lets say we had a poll asking if treasure cards like Ice Bird, Ice Elf, and Arcticzilla should remain No-PvP. If Ice wizards overwhelmingly vote "no" but players of every other school overwhelmingly vote "yes" then I think it would more clearly demonstrate that these treasure cards did upset PvP balance in favor of the Ice school.

Age range may help give better feedback in regards to the type of content players would like to see added. For example, younger players might like to see interactions with pets be expanded while older players would like to see more challenging dungeons added. It could also influence tweaks to the menu, text chat, and open chat system. For example: What phrases need to be added to menu chat?

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
Tanner Silver on Jan 27, 2021 wrote:
Asking players questions based on their school could be very important for changing spells or adding new spells to that particular school.

For example, some Twitter polls during the spell audit asked players if Mystic Colossus should remove a ward before hitting in exchange for slightly less damage or retain the old effect of hitting first with greater damage followed by ward removal. Marking feedback as being from actual Myth wizards is going to give developers a much more better sense of what players of that school would like to see done.

The inverse could also be important for PvP issues. For example, lets say we had a poll asking if treasure cards like Ice Bird, Ice Elf, and Arcticzilla should remain No-PvP. If Ice wizards overwhelmingly vote "no" but players of every other school overwhelmingly vote "yes" then I think it would more clearly demonstrate that these treasure cards did upset PvP balance in favor of the Ice school.

Age range may help give better feedback in regards to the type of content players would like to see added. For example, younger players might like to see interactions with pets be expanded while older players would like to see more challenging dungeons added. It could also influence tweaks to the menu, text chat, and open chat system. For example: What phrases need to be added to menu chat?
Yes but if lets say a fire wizard is fine with putting fire under the bus and try to make myth more OP whats the point of asking him/her. And maybe a young person thinks this game is WAAAAAY too easy and everything should be harder and cares nothing about interacting. All of these things are possible so you stereotype people like that.

Defender
Jul 26, 2012
Coyle IceBalanceSt... on Jan 29, 2021 wrote:
Yes but if lets say a fire wizard is fine with putting fire under the bus and try to make myth more OP whats the point of asking him/her. And maybe a young person thinks this game is WAAAAAY too easy and everything should be harder and cares nothing about interacting. All of these things are possible so you stereotype people like that.
They were just examples my dude. At the end of the day the purpose of random polling would be to help developers get a better idea of where players stand regarding changing things in the game or adding new content. Being able to further identify distinctions between player demographics can improve the quality of information developers receive and help influence their priorities and decisions.