Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Classic Mode For Character/Gear Models

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 06, 2010
There was a post similar to this, but it was on the summer test realm forums (which I think is gone now), so I'm posting this idea here again.

Recently, there was a massive update to the graphics of our characters and the clothing in the game as well. As I've observed on the W101 Twitter and some of the larger YouTube channels, there is a huge divide over the quality of the update. Like many others, I am not very satisfied with the changes to the character models, and would really appreciate an option where we can revert to the classic models that we have used for 12> years.

Right now, classic mode only works for select places in Wizard City, but I think it should be expanded to all areas of the game, including the recent gear and face changes. For example, those that want to enjoy the new update and visuals can choose to do so by keeping classic mode off. Then for those that want to enjoy the game before the visual updates can also choose to do so by turning the classic mode on. I made another post as well that touched on this, where the "updated" classic mode will be client based, so the players that don't use classic mode will see others as if they're using the updated models to prevent a mesh of old and new faces.

Personally I like to play the game in classic mode as I love the nostalgia this game gives me, as well as the overall aesthetic of the old game. It's pretty jarring to play in classic mode with updated models (both player and npc), as the characters are so "fresh" compared to the old style. I love plenty of options in games, and would really love to see an option where players can enjoy the old art style as well.