Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Rework of Player Stats

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 22, 2009
I am sure i am not the only wizard who has realized that the current way stats are presented and accounted for are not a good way of showing character growth in becoming a stronger wizard. What I mean by this is that there is going to be a point (which i think Wizard101 has already hit IMO) where a percent based system isn't going to show character growth.

Damage
Damage as a percent system honestly isn't a huge issue as of right now. Gear can continue to grow and your character can have over 100% in damage and it won't break the game in anyway. However, just to play devil's advocate over the subject; I think that moving to a system like Crit Rating is at currently would be a nice way of dealing with any future problems.

What I propose is a damage rating like Crit Rating. The only big difference is that every 10 levels your damage rating gives you a new percentage of damage your character will do. So, level 1-10 may be like a rating of 20 will give you 6% but levels 11-20 with a rating of 20, 3%. The scale shown is not something I am suggesting but the idea is more important.

Resistance
This is where a percent based system starts to break. Having 100% resistance to every school I believe is achievable at the moment. This of course is with the help of a strong pet and of course a certain gear set. However, I personally believe that immunity is not conducive of a fun game experience. Having 0 struggle and no strife when it comes to damage makes the game incredibly easy and takes away any risk or strategy in a fight.

I realize that this is combated with pierce, but as a player pierce is something you have to gear up for. There really is not good set that gives good pierce, good attack, and good resistance all at the same time. As for PvE, enemies have pierce once getting to the higher level which to me doesn't make sense. Why do these creatures have some ability to take away our resistance from their magic. In the story, getting to the Arcanum is like joining the Avengers. As a wizard you are a mighty hero with incredible powers, so why does some random Prickly Bear in Mirage able to pierce my resistance.

I know that pierce was a form to combat (pun not intended) resistance but it seems almost lazy and even inefficient. I think a more simply solution is to again adopt a rating and if needed a cap for that rating. So say maybe a player can only get a rating high enough to get 80% resistance in any one school. Once that player achieves that, it frees up gear slots to better other stats which I think shows versatility in this rating system.

Pierce
I have already talked a little bit about pierce in the resistance section but I wanted to flush out my thoughts on it as a system. As of right now I still hold to my opinion that pierce is just a counter to resistance and that is it. Sure, we can use it to break off a lot of damage reduction from shields, and for that I LOVE the system. But, I think if this was also a rating it would softly counter resistance, mostly counter shields, and just be a good way to balance out all schools with getting max resistance.

The only place I still don't agree it being is in those random "mob" fights that every wizard encounters throughout their adventures. (already hit on this in resistance so I wont restate.)

Conclusion
If there was a rating system for these 3 places that deal with combat and how it is preformed I think every wizard could feel stronger as they go on their adventures. I also believe that it enables easier creativity for the team of Wizard101 as they would not longer have to say "Well, we can't raise that gears resistance anymore as it would make them immune, again." I think Wizard101 could do with some upgrading to the system of combat and stats and I don't want to claim this would be the only way because I truthfully do NOT think this system is the best and only way. I would love to hear what some other wizards have thought about this system. Let me know with some replies!

Explorer
Feb 21, 2010
I don't think they are reducing player stats as the game grows. they are however abusing the enemy damage out and pierce and giving them near perfect blocking systems to almost every hit they do take. I can tolerate the damage out and the high pierce but I do think that the enemies block should be reduced for players with greater than a hundred percent critical rating. that would make the vengeance spell more attractive and bring some of the hard earned stats back into alignment.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Spell Weaver22 on Apr 14, 2020 wrote:
I don't think they are reducing player stats as the game grows. they are however abusing the enemy damage out and pierce and giving them near perfect blocking systems to almost every hit they do take. I can tolerate the damage out and the high pierce but I do think that the enemies block should be reduced for players with greater than a hundred percent critical rating. that would make the vengeance spell more attractive and bring some of the hard earned stats back into alignment.
They are reducing stats as you grow. if you dont change your gear, you start losing critical hit and block % as you level up.

Personally, I think they should just get rid of the Critical hit/block systems in PvE all together. They would have to lower all monster HPs to account for it, and figure out what to do with those pieces of gear that have critical stats on them, but I feel that the system is just broken.

I am FINE with every monster having its own rating, and actually enjoy that part. Previous, if one blocked, they all blocked, which wasnt fair. now, however, as stated above, they tend to block everything we throw at them barring the highest of critical hit percent.

They already start off with more pips, more health and spells we cannot access or do not have access to at the time, but the critical block rate is insane.

Explorer
Jan 11, 2013
Mattnetic and Ratbeard have mentioned on twitter that an overhaul to the stat system is coming soon TM.