Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Text Chat

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jan 30, 2014
I don't have text chat. Here's why.

Level 30 fire, around my first year of playing. I walk in the little nook behind Headmaster's house to find a fire wizard and a death wizard text chatting. I was trying it out at the time. They were doing rather weird things. Such as putting dots in between their words to get through filters like >> t.h.i.s. I was thouroghly disturbed as I was told by my sister that she would take off our text chat ability. I left them and they tried to friend me. I denied.

Just didn't know if you added a filter for that yet...

Also, when I tell some one Sorry I don't have text chat they simply ignore me and continue to text chat to me. I'm wondering if you could add chat bubbles about that.

Thanks,

Alexis

Defender
Jul 27, 2011
ThisGirlIsOnFIRE00... on Feb 26, 2017 wrote:
I don't have text chat. Here's why.

Level 30 fire, around my first year of playing. I walk in the little nook behind Headmaster's house to find a fire wizard and a death wizard text chatting. I was trying it out at the time. They were doing rather weird things. Such as putting dots in between their words to get through filters like >> t.h.i.s. I was thouroghly disturbed as I was told by my sister that she would take off our text chat ability. I left them and they tried to friend me. I denied.

Just didn't know if you added a filter for that yet...

Also, when I tell some one Sorry I don't have text chat they simply ignore me and continue to text chat to me. I'm wondering if you could add chat bubbles about that.

Thanks,

Alexis
Best you can do if this annoys you, turn it back on and report these people. The more reports that come in, the more likely moderators will catch this and mute them.

I'll be honest, if someone can only use menu chat with me, I'll help them, but I don't talk to them or add them to my list. Mainly because they're most likely kids and I have my own questing I want to do without being bombarded with messages that isn't easy for me to respond to. It's the downside of choosing to use menu chat, people will ignore you because it's easier. Btw, the whole dot thing to get through censorship is more of an "Open Chat" thing, you wouldn't be able to do that on "Text Chat." So perhaps, use text chat and you won't see those sneaky ways that go around the censorship. I don't know what chat bubbles you mean, they could choose to talk to you through menu chat so you could understand, they just don't. Can't force someone to use menu chat if they don't want to. Rather, it's easier for you to use text chat and avoid open chat.

In case you're confused:

Menu Chat: Predetermined phrases a user can select from to communicate. Recommended for players who are about 11 and under.

Text Chat: Able to type responses, but all words have to spelled correctly and you can't add dots in-between letters to say things. This chat is recommended for teenagers, so about 12+.

Open Chat: Have to be 18+ to use and make a purchase through credit card to verify age. There is still censorship in this, but not as restrictive. Example, you could say "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" whereas you wouldn't be able to say that on Text Chat.

Again, I recommend using Text Chat and as long as you're a member, report people who are breaking rules. Or put them on ignore list.