Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

$60 On Packs. Why?!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 22, 2017
I know you've spent probably over 60USD dollars on packs before because of something you really wanted. I know I have, more then once too! Lets talk about that.

The ongoing issue of spending so much money for that 1 item that you really want. What they need to do is implement a system where when you buy 10-15 packs in a row, you should be able to pick what you want on the 11th pack. Consider this as a loyalty system. With this loyalty system, it makes your money seem more worth it and allow you to get even more packs to get items you been wanting. thus stretching that dollar more than ever!

Champion
Nov 22, 2008
Part of the issue is that there are so many filler items in the packs. I don't think its a good idea to give a player whatever item they want for 5 bucks. I think packs on the US server are random for a reason and wether that's good is up for debate.

What I'd prefer and think is more likely to happens is a guarantee of no repeat drops of a certain rarity until all drops of that rarity have been given to that wizard at least once, sort of like how many other digital cardgames do their packs. I think Spellemental packs would have to not limit spellementals in doing this, but that would just make getting spellementals easier.

Delver
Mar 31, 2015
Brianna DeathHeart on Feb 23, 2021 wrote:
I know you've spent probably over 60USD dollars on packs before because of something you really wanted. I know I have, more then once too! Lets talk about that.

The ongoing issue of spending so much money for that 1 item that you really want. What they need to do is implement a system where when you buy 10-15 packs in a row, you should be able to pick what you want on the 11th pack. Consider this as a loyalty system. With this loyalty system, it makes your money seem more worth it and allow you to get even more packs to get items you been wanting. thus stretching that dollar more than ever!
While I agree with this, if KI actually wanted to make it fair, they would.

At the end of the day they are a for-profit business, so the marketing department has to believe that there is a higher profit margin by making drops fair (i.e. more total players would buy packs if a drop was guaranteed (eventually), than would just shell out the money regardless for a pseudorandom chance to obtain the same Crowns item regardless of its drop rate).

Personally I think KI would make more money by guaranteeing a drop of one's choice after a certain number of drops, provided that the number is reasonable. There are plenty of packs that have interesting items that I just don't bother to purchase due to the randomness involved. But at the moment KI does not believe this.

Survivor
Jul 22, 2017
rest on Feb 25, 2021 wrote:
Part of the issue is that there are so many filler items in the packs. I don't think its a good idea to give a player whatever item they want for 5 bucks. I think packs on the US server are random for a reason and wether that's good is up for debate.

What I'd prefer and think is more likely to happens is a guarantee of no repeat drops of a certain rarity until all drops of that rarity have been given to that wizard at least once, sort of like how many other digital cardgames do their packs. I think Spellemental packs would have to not limit spellementals in doing this, but that would just make getting spellementals easier.
I did Say more at the ending of the second paragraph, creating a 3rd paragraph of sorts. But Kingsisle decided to remove what was said. It wasn't anything bashful or harmful. It was pointing out an exploiting behavior from buying packs to certain individuals, thus using the system I've provided would've avoided such an event. I've asked countless of times through emails but no reply. Lastly, I do appreciate the time you took to write this out for me to read. I mean it.

If my comment seems very vague, I apologize because whatever is being posted is being removed due to the monitorization they have on the forums before a comment goes through.

We really can't say how the pack system works, I've spent on my other account probably around 300-400 dollars trying to get Deer Knight. I did get it eventually, But I kept getting the same items in the pack. The randomizer system within the packs feel more like loot boxes or a gacha system than based on a rarity system. As a parent I mostly feel concerned for children who are paying into this inappropriate exploit of a gamble system. This isn't my first time doing this either because of something I just wanted nor will it be my last. Terrible business practice but gives great results it seems.

Survivor
Jul 22, 2017
Exabytes on Feb 25, 2021 wrote:
While I agree with this, if KI actually wanted to make it fair, they would.

At the end of the day they are a for-profit business, so the marketing department has to believe that there is a higher profit margin by making drops fair (i.e. more total players would buy packs if a drop was guaranteed (eventually), than would just shell out the money regardless for a pseudorandom chance to obtain the same Crowns item regardless of its drop rate).

Personally I think KI would make more money by guaranteeing a drop of one's choice after a certain number of drops, provided that the number is reasonable. There are plenty of packs that have interesting items that I just don't bother to purchase due to the randomness involved. But at the moment KI does not believe this.
Mnh. If Kingsisle were to implement this, how would you believe the guaranteeing of a drop would work? just wanting to get some thoughts and opinions on this.