Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Indemnity on DoTs? Aegis on HoTs?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 23, 2009
Hey everyone!

I thought of an interesting idea that could really impact the game, both in PVP and PVE. Currently, the spell Indemnity protects traps and weaknesses on an opponent from being removed. However, what about if DoTs could be protected as well by enchanting it with Indemnity? This would make it difficult for opponents to cast triage to remove the DoT or cast shift to move the DoT to the player who originally casted the DoT on them or someone on that player's team.

Similarly, the spell Aegis protects shields and blades from being removed. However, what about if HoTs could be protected with the Aegis enchant? The only thing is that, as far as I can think of right now, there is really only one counter to a HoT which is Snow Drift. I am not sure how many ice wizards carry Snow Drift in their deck or if they use it at all LOL. I feel like an Aegis HoT would only be beneficial if there were more HoT counters. Hmm maybe there will be more HoT counters in the future?

I'd love to see how others feel about these ideas; I think they are cool and worth discussing, but some may find these ideas overpowered/broken. Let's start a conversation!

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
I definitely like the idea as a death wizard. What's the point of using Skeletal Dragon if it's just going to get triaged, or even worse shifted? KI has already restricted Shift to Myth's main deck, but Triage is still around and could be next on the chopping block. I do think this would be a big buff to DOT based schools, maybe too big though.

Defender
Jul 26, 2012
I think this would be a cool idea. The Balance Fairy Beastmoon form at least comes with some DoTs that are protected with Indemnity so the basic mechanic must exist in the game already. Making it a Sun enchant would also help balance things out since you could either have a stronger DoT/HoT or one that is harder to remove but not both.

I was always surprised there was never a Triage-equivalent for HoT spells. It seems like it would be a Death utility since they have the whole "anti-healing/Anti-Life" shtick. They should definitely add it next time they implement a series of new utility spells, though I wouldn't complain if they added it in sooner!

Survivor
Aug 23, 2009
Tanner Silver on Feb 1, 2021 wrote:
I think this would be a cool idea. The Balance Fairy Beastmoon form at least comes with some DoTs that are protected with Indemnity so the basic mechanic must exist in the game already. Making it a Sun enchant would also help balance things out since you could either have a stronger DoT/HoT or one that is harder to remove but not both.

I was always surprised there was never a Triage-equivalent for HoT spells. It seems like it would be a Death utility since they have the whole "anti-healing/Anti-Life" shtick. They should definitely add it next time they implement a series of new utility spells, though I wouldn't complain if they added it in sooner!
I feel like there wouldn’t need to be a new sun enchant, rather, the current Aegis and Indemnity cards can be updated with more capabilities. I agree with your statement of how players can make the DoT/HoT stronger or more difficult to remove but not both. That’s exactly how I would picture it working. You can’t enchant a card with more than one enchant!

Another cool thing too that I didn’t add in my original post is that auras could be enchanted with Aegis as well (not may casts). This would be a great counter to Supernova. However, since Supernova only costs two pips, Balance wizards may not find it too inconvenient to have to cast it two rounds in a row in order to remove an opponent’s aura (first cast removes protection, second cast removes aura). Aegis auras could be really interesting :)

Lastly, I’m surprised that death doesn’t have some kind of utility that removes a HoT. Maybe KI has one in the works behind the scenes... but I agree that death would be the perfect school to have this kind of utility where they can remove HoTs.

I feel like all of these could really shake things up in Wizard101, especially in PvP but also in PvE as well. I’d love to know what others think too. These conversations are important to have and it’s great to be able to read others’ opinions on this as well from either the PvP or PvE perspective. I’m sure KI loves fresh new ideas too, so it would be great to hear from the creators to hear their opinions and whether these ideas can be implemented in the game!

Defender
Dec 20, 2008
This could be very interesting to see. It would be amazing to see in pve mainly. It would also make people in the pvp community happy since the overuse of Triage has been a major complaint for a long while now.

Explorer
May 14, 2011
Why don't we just have triage tcs made no pvp?

Delver
Mar 31, 2015
Hate to disagree with this because it's a good idea in principle, but this would make any school without a trained DOT unplayable in PVP, and it would make Fire and Ice even more OP than they already are.

Shift TC shouldn't have been removed in the first place. And Triage TC definitely shouldn't be removed, since it is the only utility card of its kind obtainable by all wizards.

If we make this PVE only, then I'm down.

Mastermind
Mar 19, 2011
twinabc on Jan 30, 2021 wrote:
Hey everyone!

I thought of an interesting idea that could really impact the game, both in PVP and PVE. Currently, the spell Indemnity protects traps and weaknesses on an opponent from being removed. However, what about if DoTs could be protected as well by enchanting it with Indemnity? This would make it difficult for opponents to cast triage to remove the DoT or cast shift to move the DoT to the player who originally casted the DoT on them or someone on that player's team.

Similarly, the spell Aegis protects shields and blades from being removed. However, what about if HoTs could be protected with the Aegis enchant? The only thing is that, as far as I can think of right now, there is really only one counter to a HoT which is Snow Drift. I am not sure how many ice wizards carry Snow Drift in their deck or if they use it at all LOL. I feel like an Aegis HoT would only be beneficial if there were more HoT counters. Hmm maybe there will be more HoT counters in the future?

I'd love to see how others feel about these ideas; I think they are cool and worth discussing, but some may find these ideas overpowered/broken. Let's start a conversation!
I only PvP as Balance, so this wouldn't directly affect me, but I don't like your idea because I want the schools of Life and Myth to have their own peculiar and annoying spells. It's a school identity thing.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
While idea behind this has an interesting concept, we all have to understand that Dot specifically are in itself a damage utility. The ability to by pass shields and deal a chunk amount of health with sufficient buffs makes dot a formidable strategy, as with the old days when triage wasn't accessible in huge amounts. I feel like having the ability to protect such spells while mechanically fundamental, should have some sort of restriction in place.

The last thing we need is to give ice more viability into just blade stack and frostbite, as already being a school with immense tanking potential.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
twinabc on Feb 2, 2021 wrote:
I feel like there wouldn’t need to be a new sun enchant, rather, the current Aegis and Indemnity cards can be updated with more capabilities. I agree with your statement of how players can make the DoT/HoT stronger or more difficult to remove but not both. That’s exactly how I would picture it working. You can’t enchant a card with more than one enchant!

Another cool thing too that I didn’t add in my original post is that auras could be enchanted with Aegis as well (not may casts). This would be a great counter to Supernova. However, since Supernova only costs two pips, Balance wizards may not find it too inconvenient to have to cast it two rounds in a row in order to remove an opponent’s aura (first cast removes protection, second cast removes aura). Aegis auras could be really interesting :)

Lastly, I’m surprised that death doesn’t have some kind of utility that removes a HoT. Maybe KI has one in the works behind the scenes... but I agree that death would be the perfect school to have this kind of utility where they can remove HoTs.

I feel like all of these could really shake things up in Wizard101, especially in PvP but also in PvE as well. I’d love to know what others think too. These conversations are important to have and it’s great to be able to read others’ opinions on this as well from either the PvP or PvE perspective. I’m sure KI loves fresh new ideas too, so it would be great to hear from the creators to hear their opinions and whether these ideas can be implemented in the game!
I don't think should have counters to counters, that would just neutralize the aspect of playstyles. If by means that super nova would still deal damage and prevent the aura from being removed then yes i would agree with this concept. That would mean players would still take risk when facing balance schools.