Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Solo school specific gauntlets

AuthorMessage
Defender
Mar 08, 2011
Theoretically, each w101 school has its strengths, weaknesses, and specialties. That said, since everyone fights the same enemies with very little exception, the strategy for everyone has basically turned into blade and aoe. Maybe you'll have someone play support for large bosses, but that's about it. This is necessary because it would be frustrating to fight enemy mobs that need specific school specialties.

Another thing is that a lot of fights are just against a lot of mobs. The Karamelle bosses have taken advantage of the aoe thing really nicely, but I really miss one vs one duels against intense bosses like the Dragonspyre ones.

With all this in mind, what if there were solo school specific boss battles designed to use your school's strength? An ice wizard would fight enemies with a lot of damage, a myth would need to stun, summon minions, and pierce a lot of shields, a storm would have to burst down a lot of health, a fire would have to use dot, a life would have to heal a lot, a balance would have to pocket a hitter, a death would have to self sustain, or something like that. Maybe make cheats that force you to have a minion, dot, shield, certain percentage of health, etc.

Overall, as a myth I have all these minion, stun, and armor piercing spells that I never use. I can remember very few times where I genuinely felt like I needed to use myth specialties. I would love something that lets everyone use those cool spells they haven't used in forever and feel like their own school.

Survivor
Nov 11, 2010
I definitely love the idea. I actually never would've thought about something like that. I have only little experience with the "deckathalon" events so I couldn't tell if there are any bosses up there with cheats. Regardless, using your original character, without the need for tc's (again, if I understand deckathalons correctly; I'm sorry if I don't) sounds like a cool endeavor.

To share my experience, when I was playing through the later game areas as a fire, I definitely found a bit of annoyance when a new spell was a DoT. It felt as if my initial hit's damage was being "sapped away" by the DoT's presence in a place where there's a lot of focus on getting that initial hit just right. The recent update of the damage cap bubble definitely makes it much more useful, but there's still the idea traps. Fire seems to be more focused on traps instead of blades, which is a big detriment to DoT's. Often times I don't feel the need to ever set up something like a fuel or a detonate to get full use out of DoT's and may just opt for non-DoT's and feints anyway (again, with exception to damage-capped fights). I'm willing to accept that this was a design move to balance fire wizards' arsenal, but getting the chance to fully explore what I can do with DoT's around an interesting mob's set of cheats would be a massive refresher.

Also, I definitely don't want to imply that fire's are worse off than myth's in the general game. This is my first post to a message board, so I hope this came off supportive!