Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why can’t I shake this Thinkin’ cap talent?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 31, 2017
im trying to make my first perfect pet and have now gotten my 17th fail. 14 of these have all failed by getting Thinkin’ cap and it seems that no matter what I do I end up with this talent. Anyone have any advice on how to rid of this meddlesome talent?

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Sayaka115 on Nov 11, 2018 wrote:
im trying to make my first perfect pet and have now gotten my 17th fail. 14 of these have all failed by getting Thinkin’ cap and it seems that no matter what I do I end up with this talent. Anyone have any advice on how to rid of this meddlesome talent?
Hiya!

It sounds like one of two things - either you're getting very unlucky or there is a problem with the pools you are using. The best way to stop the talent manifesting is to get it completely out of the talent pool so it can't pop up! It's obviously quite strong in your pool for manifesting, so kicking it out completely would be easiest and best imo.

How are you at pool reading? Do you know the full pool of the pets you are hatching together?

I'm happy to help in any way I can! What is your 'perfect' pet (what do you want to achieve)?

If you could post the two pools, labeling the talents you know, that would be helpful in working out if you can achieve it with those pets or need a different pet to help kick out Thinkin' Cap. Whenever we think about what we don't want in the pool, we also need to think about what we DO want - kicking out a talent involves replacing it with something else

I have good pets with clean pools so hopefully if you need a different pet to hatch with I'll have something lovely to help you achieve your goal! I'm happy to help you every step of the way so you get exactly what you want

Survivor
May 31, 2017
thanks for taking the time to respond. The talents I’m trying to get are: spell proof, spell defy, relentless, powerful and mighty. The pet I have used to hatch is the base enchanted armament (dropped my gladiator demachrias) Its Base talent pool is: pain giver, spell proof, mana boost, thinkin’ Cap, health boost, sword and shield, relentless, powerful, and mighty. The only talent I need that this armament pet doesn’t have is spell defy, so I’m hatching it with any pet that has defy and hoping for the best.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Sayaka115 on Nov 12, 2018 wrote:
thanks for taking the time to respond. The talents I’m trying to get are: spell proof, spell defy, relentless, powerful and mighty. The pet I have used to hatch is the base enchanted armament (dropped my gladiator demachrias) Its Base talent pool is: pain giver, spell proof, mana boost, thinkin’ Cap, health boost, sword and shield, relentless, powerful, and mighty. The only talent I need that this armament pet doesn’t have is spell defy, so I’m hatching it with any pet that has defy and hoping for the best.
I'm going to make a few assumptions based on your original question and subsequent info provided, so please forgive me if I am wrong and know that I'm trying to help not patronise!

I'm assuming you're quite new to pet-making and that you're wanting to boost proof and defy to their max possible. It's an ambitious project that will take A LOT of working on and unfortunately I don't have a max stat pool to just give to you. However, it can be achieved and the following is how I would go about it...

The stat bars (strength, agility etc) can be 255 250 260 260 250. This is known as 'max stat'. When we fill those bars through training they affect talents that boost by percentage (which you know because you've chosen exactly the right selfish talents to boost resists). You've said you're using an enchanted armament with first generation talents - is the pet first generation or have you kept the pool while maxing the stats?

If the pet's stats are not maxed I would work on that first because they will boost the percentage of the resists the most and provide the max base percentage before boosts are added.

I'd max the pet while keeping the selfish talents in pool:

Hatch with Smelly Hannah Bloodbat from the kiosk (I'll put a bunch of them in and they are all identical in stats and pool). Smelly Hannah is max stat on a body that is easy to change out, but has only common or uncommon talents - easy to see the pool change and easy to hatch out her talents on completion.

CONT...

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
CONT...

Step 1:
Looking at the pips on the circles we have:

Smelly Hannah ~ 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 1
Your Armament ~ 3 4 1 3 1 4 3 3 3 3

Top to bottom, the order of both pet talents put in a row is: 1 1 3 4 1 1 0 3 1 0 0 0 0 4 3 3 3 3 1 1

You need the baby to keep the green talents in pool and have increased the stat bar numbers.
The red number is a talent to beware of. Unless you have got all four ultra-rare or proved it's not sabotaging your pool (by manifestation) there is no way to know if it is 'Brilliant' instead of one of the talents you want.
The blue numbers are potentially saboteurs so make sure there are some of the black numbers between to know you have the correct talents in pool still. EG if your epic (4) is directly above your group of ultra-rares it is possible it is sword and shield not proof...if there are common talents above it then it is definitely sword and shield (proof has no common talents above it). If the pool is 1 1 3 4 3 3 3 3 1 1 then it is not possible to determine without manifestation whether the epic is proof or sword and shield.

Only take the baby to adult if it has the green talents in pool and the stat bars have increased, then hatch again...repeat until the stat bars are 255 250 260 260 250. There will be a lot of hatches that fail to achieve the correct pool. I wouldn't worry if the body type changes to a bat though because....step 2...

Step 2: Once it is maxed and has the right talents in pool we need to get defy into pool. Hatch with a max stat enchanted armament that has defy manifested. If you get the body type and retain your green talents train it to adult for future hatches to get defy into pool. If you get defy into pool while retaining your talents train to adult and use this to hatch for the body type. Don't worry about the talents that are not green...you want 5 specific talents to manifest so the others are 'fail talents' no matter what they are.

CONT...

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
CONT...

Step 3: When you have a max stat armament with all 5 desired talents in pool make a second identical as a parent pet. You might choose to use your previous pet (the parent of the perfect one) or the armament you were using to get the body and defy. Select which to use according to which pool is closest to the perfect one. Hatch the 2 perfect ones together and train the babies until you manifest the full combo. You'll probably want to switch out the parents as babies get the desired talent, making the next hatches more likely to manifest those.

This is a hugely ambition project to attempt from scratch so if you take it on please be ready for A LOT of failed hatches where the pool messes up. The only short cut is to find someone with a pet already made or close to what you want so you can either copy it or skip some of the work involved. I couldn't find one in the kiosk though.

I hope this helps and feel free to post how you're getting on and ask anything you need help working out!

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Are you using the same parent every time? If so, don't. It's likely that one of your starting pets has Thinkin' cap dom, in which case it's likely to keep coming up.