Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Challenge-Based Farming: A Better Way to Farm

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
Tylerwildpants on Jul 4, 2018 wrote:
Players want rare items in dungeons without having to farm them forever. Your dungeon token idea is brilliant and works extremely well to serve this purpose. Players still have to complete a dungeon before they're earned. And your idea is very doable, because the game already tracks items and regents. Even shared banks store up to 999 of the same item. So I'm not sure why anyone would argue, or be against your dungeon token idea. And you're spot on, when you say once a player obtains the item they seek, it becomes a mute issue to farm for additional tokens. Tokens could easily be used to buy rare items through vendors. Faction Vendors function this way. Players earn specific badges in order to gain access to the vendor's inventory. So why not have players earn a set number of tokens or badges to gain access to rare dungeon drops items too. I love and support your idea very much!
Read my response to Dayerider's response responding to my first objection to different token types. Basically, what you miss is, yes the game keeps track of items amd reagents, but the player also needs to, as I point out in the aforementioned response. Also, imagine all the new reagents they'd need to program, whereas some badges are already programmed that can work for the token system. Also, the badge idea was mine, his idea is having different token types for each dungeon, boss, mob, etc...

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Fable Finder on Jul 6, 2018 wrote:
Read my response to Dayerider's response responding to my first objection to different token types. Basically, what you miss is, yes the game keeps track of items amd reagents, but the player also needs to, as I point out in the aforementioned response. Also, imagine all the new reagents they'd need to program, whereas some badges are already programmed that can work for the token system. Also, the badge idea was mine, his idea is having different token types for each dungeon, boss, mob, etc...
You said:

Farming is a waste of time that defeats the point of gaming, which is to have fun.

Perhaps an idea you might like is a 'token system' that's been discussed before. Each battle you get a token towards crafting any item from the drop table?

With farming as it is now, you could finish tomorrow, or in 6 months. That mystery is one of the worst things about farming.

Then I said

The best way to make farming easier, in my mind, would be to remove the elite gear from big bosses and have them drop gear tokens instead. You would then take that token to a token vendor located outside of the dungeon where the boss is, and redeem it for whatever gear they offer that you want.

Having the Badge option as part of this would negate everything you stated in your original, and subsequent posts about how people feel about farming. The WHOLE point to this thread is to make it EASIER to get the gear without affecting the drop percentages. Requiring a badge is backwards progression. I'm all for making things a bit easier, but if the whole badge idea is implemented, they're better off not wasting the time coding it because it will take just as long that way. If I am not understanding your idea, then please, flush it out better so I have a better idea what you're trying to accomplish.

It SEEMS like you want us to farm for gear, forcing us to complete the dungeon a bunch of times to get the badge you require, and then we can pick and choose what gear we want, and for every elite dungeon, we get a neutral dungeon token that can be spent ANYWHERE. If the only way to prevent "fraud" is to use the badge idea you're talking about, then my dungeon specific reagent idea is better and requires less coding.

had to edit my post because I copied something accidentally

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Fable Finder on Jul 6, 2018 wrote:
I missed nothing. I support and agree with Dayerider's suggestions and comments 100%. Dayerider's logic and arguments are sound, backed by concrete examples of workable solutions.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
BTW, Loremaster should have spell tokens too. That's another heavily farmed area that runs into the same issue of getting spells that you can use, you dont want. For example, if I dont have a strategy for life attacks on my fire, what good does Goat Monk or Luminous Weaver really do me other than increasing the odds of getting a spell I want next time because I now have 2 spells already? No, I'd rather have Loremaster tokens and when I get one, get the spell I ACTUALLY want, not the one the horrendous RNG decides it wants me to have.