Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Headless Horseman Spell

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jan 24, 2009
Eric Stormbringer on Sep 26, 2017 wrote:
The problem is that giving death a spell such as this simply compounds its problems. How can we pressure KI on good faith to nerf problematic spells while giving death a spell that is so blatantly op? How can death advocate for needed spell adjustments when KI can say nah you got monster mash? What happens when other schools correctly point out that they have no spell that is so clearly above dpp range with a powerful effect? Even meta defining spells such as efreet, lore and rampage pale in dpp comparison to an 870 monster mash when it's neutral dpp is 570.

Death does need help: A 512 headless horseman is a step in the right direction. A 870 monster mash is way overboard.
My point is you can't expect a school to settle for something average when they're outclassed and others are given broken spells. Which again burning rampage is 5 pips and 770 damage which is over damage range. Why can't death have a spell thats 6 pips and 870? Not like they can use a follow up hit to combo it because the beguile.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
wakaflame201 on Sep 27, 2017 wrote:
My point is you can't expect a school to settle for something average when they're outclassed and others are given broken spells. Which again burning rampage is 5 pips and 770 damage which is over damage range. Why can't death have a spell thats 6 pips and 870? Not like they can use a follow up hit to combo it because the beguile.
Burning Rampage is at a higher dpp because it combines 2 factors that raise dpp:

-It's a DoT which are given higher damage than burst hits.

-It's a side spell with no effect; every such side spell is given a higher dpp.

Now what makes Rampage op is not its damage which is within trends, but rather how that damage is distributed. Thats why an ideal nerf to Rampage would be letting it do 435 then 335 damage 2 rounds later. No decrease in damage but a redistribution that makes it a balanced spell.

As to Monster Mash- it has no factors that raise dpp. It's a burst damage spell with a 3 pip effect attached. Every side spell with a piped effect attached actually deals below dpp (look at catch of the day amd hephaestus). Now i think those spells and monster mash should be boosted to neutral dpp which would put mash at 570. We can see that KI in their only iteration of mash as a may cast has followed the trend
I pointed out giving it 415 damage(below dpp)

Now to understand exactly why mash at 870 would be so op- consider this. Only 4 spells in game are allowed 50%+ above their normal damage (like monster mash at 870) and each pays a price.

Wildbolt- 66% of the time its dealing far below dpp.

Insane bolt- It cannot be buffed by any trained spell within its school and kills the caster when it backfires.

Mana burn- Completely dependent on opponent's pip levels, cannot be enchanted

Supernova- Completely dependent on opponent having an aura, way lower accuracy than its school base acc.

An 870 monster mash pays no such price.

Defender
Jan 24, 2009
Eric Stormbringer on Sep 27, 2017 wrote:
Burning Rampage is at a higher dpp because it combines 2 factors that raise dpp:

-It's a DoT which are given higher damage than burst hits.

-It's a side spell with no effect; every such side spell is given a higher dpp.

Now what makes Rampage op is not its damage which is within trends, but rather how that damage is distributed. Thats why an ideal nerf to Rampage would be letting it do 435 then 335 damage 2 rounds later. No decrease in damage but a redistribution that makes it a balanced spell.

As to Monster Mash- it has no factors that raise dpp. It's a burst damage spell with a 3 pip effect attached. Every side spell with a piped effect attached actually deals below dpp (look at catch of the day amd hephaestus). Now i think those spells and monster mash should be boosted to neutral dpp which would put mash at 570. We can see that KI in their only iteration of mash as a may cast has followed the trend
I pointed out giving it 415 damage(below dpp)

Now to understand exactly why mash at 870 would be so op- consider this. Only 4 spells in game are allowed 50%+ above their normal damage (like monster mash at 870) and each pays a price.

Wildbolt- 66% of the time its dealing far below dpp.

Insane bolt- It cannot be buffed by any trained spell within its school and kills the caster when it backfires.

Mana burn- Completely dependent on opponent's pip levels, cannot be enchanted

Supernova- Completely dependent on opponent having an aura, way lower accuracy than its school base acc.

An 870 monster mash pays no such price.
Actually if you understand how beguile works it is a price to pay for using it. Beguile only stops a person from single hitting if you're second or if you're first the following turn but they can still single hit during the turn its cast.Your opponent always has a free aoe, shield or healing. Only time you may attack an opponent with beguile effect is if you 're on sun and even still they get first and can hit you before you hit them.

Also bolt is 10,100,1000 and enchanted 310,400,1300. I wouldnt say 400 is low damage for a 2 pip spell and 1300 is way overpowered for a 2 pip. So you literally have 1/3 chances for a bad hit with it. Also insane bolt can be buffed by storm bubble and it uses storm damage just dont attack on storm shields or resist, also has a higher chance of hitting its target than hitting the caster.

Its true mana burn does depend on the pips of the target but its still a means to disrupt any combo and does damage. And for death they have to build pips and they cant just spam their pips away like other schools because balance would destroy them.

Supernova i would say its the only spell thats not so bad on this list.

Now lets look at what price any one pays for using efreet?

Also if you going to throw in risk fact death still has biggest with. Empower, Dark pact, bad juju, sacrifice,beguile,animate,feint,doom.Which if half of these spells were used on other schools there would be no risk at all which you're fully aware of.

Dont think the Mash maycast damage being 415 means anything because the maycast wand for rebirth is 400 and we know the original.

My period still reminds if kingsisle isn't willing to do anything about these op spells, then why should death settle for the bare minimal or something average.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I agree wakaflame.

It seems most high hitting spells in the Death school come at a cost to the caster. The scarecrow in a field spell is nice though but I wouldn't call it a hard hitting type of PVP spell, for those who PVP.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
wakaflame201 on Sep 28, 2017 wrote:
Actually if you understand how beguile works it is a price to pay for using it. Beguile only stops a person from single hitting if you're second or if you're first the following turn but they can still single hit during the turn its cast.Your opponent always has a free aoe, shield or healing. Only time you may attack an opponent with beguile effect is if you 're on sun and even still they get first and can hit you before you hit them.

Also bolt is 10,100,1000 and enchanted 310,400,1300. I wouldnt say 400 is low damage for a 2 pip spell and 1300 is way overpowered for a 2 pip. So you literally have 1/3 chances for a bad hit with it. Also insane bolt can be buffed by storm bubble and it uses storm damage just dont attack on storm shields or resist, also has a higher chance of hitting its target than hitting the caster.

Its true mana burn does depend on the pips of the target but its still a means to disrupt any combo and does damage. And for death they have to build pips and they cant just spam their pips away like other schools because balance would destroy them.

Supernova i would say its the only spell thats not so bad on this list.

Now lets look at what price any one pays for using efreet?

Also if you going to throw in risk fact death still has biggest with. Empower, Dark pact, bad juju, sacrifice,beguile,animate,feint,doom.Which if half of these spells were used on other schools there would be no risk at all which you're fully aware of.

Dont think the Mash maycast damage being 415 means anything because the maycast wand for rebirth is 400 and we know the original.

My period still reminds if kingsisle isn't willing to do anything about these op spells, then why should death settle for the bare minimal or something average.
Of course beguile isn't an effective 1v1 combo spell. It was designed as a defensive team spell. That being said, it os still one of thr best defensive spells in the game since only 2 schools use aoe attacks in 1v1 (storm and death). Even if your opponent does use an aoe, the spell had the effect of preventing them from using a much more damaging single target hit.

Regardless if you consider 410 a low hit, it is still far below storm's dpp. An epic enchanted lightning bats deals 545 so my point still stands. Insane bolt's damage is not buffed by the storm bubble. As for the other spells, no one is saying thry are not effective- what i am saying is that they all pay a price for 50%+ increased dpp.

Efreet isn't 50%+ over fire's dpp, is not a side spell with a pipped effect and is not a 5-6 pip spell. From what we've seen from KI trends once a spell hits 8+ pips it is allowed to have a pipped effect at neutral or above neutral dpp. I have no problem with a 870, 8-9 pip mash.

I'll concede the point on maycasts- youre right in that they aren't always accurate reflections of trained spells.

We both agree that death needs help, we both agree bare minimum spells wont do it. A 512, 4 pip horseman is above average and fair. An 870, 6 pip monster mash is way overboard.

Delver
Dec 08, 2016
One thing I'm only worried about is if Death does get a new 4-pip spell that can be spammed in PvP, it will most likely get nerfed . Most of our hard-hitting spells either requires too many pips or have been nerfed in the past (e.g. Khrulhu, Avenging and Bone Dragon). Kinda unfair. We can't even fully enchant our drains.

Survivor
Aug 22, 2012
Freshta on Sep 18, 2017 wrote:
Yes Turquoise is rare. Generally there are only 1-5 for sale at any given time, and usually for over $1000-$3000 gold each. That's a sign that it's rare. Like Aether, Sunstone, Fossil, etc. When they do end up in the Bazaar, they go fast and for a very high price.

Amber, on the other hand, is "No Auction."

Alia Misthaven
Turquoise is NOT rare. I see around 10-12 every time I go to the Bazaar. Every time I fight Cronus, I get at least 2 so no Turquoise is NOT a rare reagent.