Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Headless Horseman Spell

AuthorMessage
Defender
Sep 29, 2010
I have to say its one of my favorite spells in the entire game. I don't care how much damage it does or what after affects it doesn't do, it looks amazing when it rides out onto the battle field. However, you only get the spell from the jack-o-lantern pet from one of the halloween packs and you only get ONE. That begs the question, will we be able to actually acquire the spell officially? Will death students do a special quest to obtain this spell during halloween or will we be able to craft it like deer knight? Heck I wouldn't mind if we could get it from packs. Maybe there could even be a special spell recipe vendor who only appears in October to sell the recipe. I really want to see this spell become legitimate and be able to use it without having to have the jack-o-lantern pet with me at all times.

The learned/crafted spell could even be slightly different with a small upgrade, the same animation as before and the same damage but after slicing the enemy with his axe, he rears up on his horse and hurls his pumpkin head at the enemy, possibly making a +%30 hex or a -%25 weakness charm.

Anyone else think the spell should be truly learnable or craftable?

~Wolf Nightbreeze~

Explorer
Sep 19, 2016
CaptainAureus on Sep 13, 2017 wrote:
I have to say its one of my favorite spells in the entire game. I don't care how much damage it does or what after affects it doesn't do, it looks amazing when it rides out onto the battle field. However, you only get the spell from the jack-o-lantern pet from one of the halloween packs and you only get ONE. That begs the question, will we be able to actually acquire the spell officially? Will death students do a special quest to obtain this spell during halloween or will we be able to craft it like deer knight? Heck I wouldn't mind if we could get it from packs. Maybe there could even be a special spell recipe vendor who only appears in October to sell the recipe. I really want to see this spell become legitimate and be able to use it without having to have the jack-o-lantern pet with me at all times.

The learned/crafted spell could even be slightly different with a small upgrade, the same animation as before and the same damage but after slicing the enemy with his axe, he rears up on his horse and hurls his pumpkin head at the enemy, possibly making a +%30 hex or a -%25 weakness charm.

Anyone else think the spell should be truly learnable or craftable?

~Wolf Nightbreeze~
I second this statement. This is a fantastic idea.

Delver
Dec 18, 2011
A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
YES!! Please, we'd love to craft the Headless Horseman spell!

Alia Misthaven
Fallon Raven

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Defender
Jul 27, 2010
That would be awesome, I really like the Headless Horseman spell. A crafted/trainable version would be great

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Yes, death is really in need of a low pip hard hitting spell for pvp. Decrease the damage slightly and this spell would be a great addition.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Maybe they could add the Horseman spell as a permanent spell, with rare win ability, to one of the packs? Or as a drop of some sort in Halloween battles?

I have the pumpkin pet with the Horseman spell but only use it at Halloween. There are better pets and spells IMO although the animation does look amazing!

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I am not against the spell being craftable but if so, change it slightly. I bought the pumpkin pets, and if people can later craft the same thing for free, I'd be a bit chapped. I'd get over it though :p

Defender
Jan 24, 2009
Death should get Monster mash and headless.I feel death should get both because from the passing updates its been schools that got 3 and 2 spells back to back so why not give death 2 more. I would say nerfed the damage a bit on Mash to where its 1170 with enchant, which is the orignal damage of the tc. Let me kinda justify it being 1170 with epic. Burning rampage is 1,046 in total with enchant and its uncounterable which second can be combo'd even with its lingering effect. Mash is more pips(6) and you can't follow up with another attack because the beguile. Lastly i agree with nerfing headless a bit but it will need a good side effect

Defender
May 11, 2013
Eric Stormbringer on Sep 15, 2017 wrote:
Yes, death is really in need of a low pip hard hitting spell for pvp. Decrease the damage slightly and this spell would be a great addition.
"Yes, death is really in need of a low pip hard hitting spell for pvp. Decrease the damage slightly and this spell would be a great addition." Yeah lets nerf the spell so Death can be at the same spot it already is the bottom of the chain while storm stays on top.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
RedDragon877 on Sep 15, 2017 wrote:
"Yes, death is really in need of a low pip hard hitting spell for pvp. Decrease the damage slightly and this spell would be a great addition." Yeah lets nerf the spell so Death can be at the same spot it already is the bottom of the chain while storm stays on top.
First of all you do realize that in Ranked 1v1 max lvl pvp storm is the second worst school right after death right? Secondly, it is the worst 1v1 school at virtually all level ranges. Here are some articles for your enlightenment:

-3rd Age Leaderboard Analysis

-Max Lvl 1v1 Tier List

Now as to headless horseman. The spell is exceedingly powerful. It is more powerful than death's 4,5,6 and 7 pip burst damage spells. Headless horseman is more powerful than Storm's(the burst damage school) kraken. This puts it way, way above death's typical dpp range while still having more accuracy than a storm spell. Now, there is a precedent for giving a school higher dpp burst damage at the cost of accuracy with Myth's ninja pigs. However, you will notice that ninja pigs while far above myth's typical dpp still deals less damage than Stormzilla. Thus, I propose adjusting headless horseman to do less damage than Kraken while still retaining its status as far above death's normal dpp. Hence my suggestion for a slight damage reduction.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
"Lastly i agree with nerfing headless a bit but it will need a good side effect"

May I ask why nerf it?

I wondered that when someone else said it before but now it's been seconded. I like spells to have a lot of damage.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
SparkleTude on Sep 16, 2017 wrote:
"Lastly i agree with nerfing headless a bit but it will need a good side effect"

May I ask why nerf it?

I wondered that when someone else said it before but now it's been seconded. I like spells to have a lot of damage.
Its a game balance consideration. Certain schools have certain dpp (damage per pip) that is expected for their spells. They are compensated for this via various factors such as higher base accuracy, higher health, stronger blades etc. Headless Horseman is way, way above the dpp of a death spell and gives the death school a burst damage spell that exceeds Storm's cirrespinding 4 pip spell. Hence the calls for a minor nerf.

Defender
Jan 24, 2009
SparkleTude on Sep 16, 2017 wrote:

May I ask why nerf it?

You're right why nerf it but you know when it comes to death Kingsisle is never willing to give a good damage spell/ useful effect. But i would rather it stay the damage it already is. I literally think spells like empower, sac,bad juju and dark pact,animate,Lord of night should be changed all together

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
SparkleTude on Sep 15, 2017 wrote:
I am not against the spell being craftable but if so, change it slightly. I bought the pumpkin pets, and if people can later craft the same thing for free, I'd be a bit chapped. I'd get over it though :p
I can assure you, there's no such thing as crafting a spell "for free."

First, spell recipes tend to cost $60,000 gold.

Second, they require 100 ghost fire plus 100 pristine gems (of the school type in question). So there goes another $20,000 or more. Plus there are other reagents, most are rare, that must be gathered, gardened or bought.

Then there's the Amber.... All the recipes I've seen so far require a minimum of 12, and some demand 18. That's MONTHS of farming and gardening just to get those few, precious Amber. Turquoise is another painfully rare reagent that is required in high amounts on some recipes.

And finally, there's getting the actual, rare treasure cards. If a crafter is lucky, she might have a friend who will trade her some, or she might find a few in the Bazaar. Otherwise, the only way to get them is through Crowns packs, which means crafters end up buying packs just the same as you did to get the pet that came with the card "for free."

Alia Misthaven

Mastermind
Oct 21, 2013
Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Freshta on Sep 17, 2017 wrote:

Second, they require 100 ghost fire plus 100 pristine gems (of the school type in question). So there goes another $20,000 or more. Plus there are other reagents, most are rare, that must be gathered, gardened or bought.

Then there's the Amber.... All the recipes I've seen so far require a minimum of 12, and some demand 18. That's MONTHS of farming and gardening just to get those few, precious Amber. Turquoise is another painfully rare reagent that is required in high amounts on some recipes.

And finally, there's getting the actual, rare treasure cards. If a crafter is lucky, she might have a friend who will trade her some, or she might find a few in the Bazaar. Otherwise, the only way to get them is through Crowns packs, which means crafters end up buying packs just the same as you did to get the pet that came with the card "for free."

Alia Misthaven
Freshta, Wizard 101 gold does not cost actual money. Only crowns do.

Thanks.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016

Alia Misthaven
Who said the Headless Horseman crafted spell (which doesn't exist so far, right?) Would have any of those ultra rare things?

Other than possibly buying packs as a shortcut, everything you listed is free. Gold is free, reagents are free, anything bought with gold is free. If you're going to get philosophical and say time and energy are not free, well, people who buy things with crowns also put time and energy into the game as well.

Not all crafted items use super rare things like you mentioned. There's nothing saying this particular spell would. So I think you really mocked me and went low for no reason.

No one's saying anyone has to buy a pack just to make a crafted spell. That would not even make sense if you think about it. Not all crafted items cost anything like 60,000 either. Who says it would be that high of a level or use Amber or anything else you mentioned?

Gold = free, Crowns = not free. Crafted things do not require crowns in order to craft them. If you want to take a shortcut and use crowns, guess what. You can just buy the spell. It is already available that way, with the Jack O'Lantern pet. Like I said.

Defender
Jul 27, 2010

Alia Misthaven
Turquoise is considered rare? I always find like 5 of them at the bazaar whenever I'm there. I guess I just got lucky

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
SparkleTude on Sep 18, 2017 wrote:
Who said the Headless Horseman crafted spell (which doesn't exist so far, right?) Would have any of those ultra rare things?

Other than possibly buying packs as a shortcut, everything you listed is free. Gold is free, reagents are free, anything bought with gold is free. If you're going to get philosophical and say time and energy are not free, well, people who buy things with crowns also put time and energy into the game as well.

Not all crafted items use super rare things like you mentioned. There's nothing saying this particular spell would. So I think you really mocked me and went low for no reason.

No one's saying anyone has to buy a pack just to make a crafted spell. That would not even make sense if you think about it. Not all crafted items cost anything like 60,000 either. Who says it would be that high of a level or use Amber or anything else you mentioned?

Gold = free, Crowns = not free. Crafted things do not require crowns in order to craft them. If you want to take a shortcut and use crowns, guess what. You can just buy the spell. It is already available that way, with the Jack O'Lantern pet. Like I said.
There have been numerous incidences where spells that were once available only via pack have become craftable and/or dropped from certain bosses. I see no reason to exclude headless horseman from this trend.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
SparkleTude on Sep 18, 2017 wrote:

Obviously you have never crafted a spell. Look up the spell recipes and you will see that all of them have the kind of requirements I've mentioned.

Having a pet with one or two copies of the spell that can not be enchanted is not at all the same as having the trained spell that you can place many times in your deck, can enchant, etc.

Here's a few that I would consider equivalent to the Headless Horseman spell.

Athena Battle Sight
http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Recipe:Athena_Battle_Sight#axzz4sD8wcGV1

Deer Knight
http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Recipe:Deer_Knight#axzz4sD8wcGV1

Lord of Night
http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Recipe:Lord_of_Night#axzz4sD8wcGV1

Goat Monk
http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Recipe:Goat_Monk#axzz4sD8wcGV1

Athena and Krampus spells do cost much less gold (only $10,000-$12,000 in those cases), but all the others are $60,000. So with two exceptions, all spell recipes cost $60,000 gold. All the spell recipes require a minimum of 12 Amber except for Athena, she requires 18. All of them require 100 pristine gems except for Athena, she requires 120. All of them require 200 Ghost Fire. All of them require 50-100 rare reagents such as Nightshade, Turquoise, Sunstone, Astral Shard, etc. Every. Single. One.

So why would the Headless Horseman spell be any different...?

Alia Misthaven

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
chocoluver18 on Sep 18, 2017 wrote:
Turquoise is considered rare? I always find like 5 of them at the bazaar whenever I'm there. I guess I just got lucky
Yes Turquoise is rare. Generally there are only 1-5 for sale at any given time, and usually for over $1000-$3000 gold each. That's a sign that it's rare. Like Aether, Sunstone, Fossil, etc. When they do end up in the Bazaar, they go fast and for a very high price.

Amber, on the other hand, is "No Auction."

Alia Misthaven

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Eric Stormbringer on Sep 18, 2017 wrote:
There have been numerous incidences where spells that were once available only via pack have become craftable and/or dropped from certain bosses. I see no reason to exclude headless horseman from this trend.
Eric I never said it should be excluded.

Maybe scroll up where I said:

"I am not against the spell being craftable"

Thanks.

I'm not sure why my post wasn't read or wasn't read more carefully. Now I have people arguing with me that gold and reagents are not free (they are, no matter how many are required, which we do not even know, yet), and that I said not to make the spell craftable.

The winky face at the end should've indicated that I was joking about being bothered at all (because I bought a pet) anyway. I don't care! Hope that makes it crystal clear.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
I looked up "Headless Horseman" doing 530-590 damage vs. "Kraken doing 520-580 damage and both are a 4 pip spells. Guys, "Headless Horseman" is not that bad for the amount of damage is does. If it is a little overpowered, so what. Many spells are overpowered in this game. Some spells are more powerful than others having the same pip casting requirement. That's the way it is in this game. I don't hear those reject their overpowered spells. Why reject other's as you see fit. Why signal out PVE players just so you PVP players can have an ease to win. Sorry but PVP is meant to be challenging in every way. If people are so in to a game balance consideration, Then maybe they have the wrong game in mind. This is WIZARD101 not AD&D. This game is not designed to be perfectly balanced in fairness otherwise KI would have done something about it; staring with all the overpowered spells