Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Less XP from Khrysalis, please

AuthorMessage
Delver
Jun 14, 2016
DragonLady1818 on May 26, 2017 wrote:
Some of us like to be over level when we enter a new world. So if I have a wizard that is lvl 90+ entering Khrysalis, I should be able to do all quests including sides if I choose to be as high a level as possible. If my wizard is lvl 106 or higher when she enters Polaris, I consider that to my advantage.

The old level requirement for entering Khrysalis was lvl 90 but has been lowered to 85. As I see it, my lvl 90+ is at a better advantage by being at least 5+ levels higher than the required level.

All the level requirements were reduced in 2014 because many didn't want to do the sides. KI made it possible for them to enter at lower levels and the XP in general is a necessary factor for them to do so. Those who don't do sides will need all they can get in XP. Those of us that do all quests have the added levels.

The worlds that have already been nerfed, especially those quests that are "Collect" x number of items did have their XP adjusted to compensate for the quests that are no longer in the game. And yes, there are quests that are not there. I know this because I used to print off the guides so I would have them on hand to aid my younger wizards in the rise in the Spiral. If KI had not adjusted the XP on some of the remaining quests to compensate for the removals, then I suspect that many wizards would not be able to enter CL at lvl 44 without at the very least, picking up a few levels in WT.

I have already stated that I disagree with the reduction of XP in Khrysalis.
So what if you want to be over-leveled? You can complete sidequests, and they'll get you way over even the old level requirements.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
I can kind of see what sKochiya is saying. Wizards who got a later start are getting over-leveled and yes, the advantage actually does go to those who went through earliest when xp was capped.

Over-leveled as a handicap? That's called irony.

As more and more worlds come out with more and more side quests, over-leveling has had a multiplier effect. My oldest wizards that I started back in 2009, who finish each world as it comes out, are leveled appropriately for each new world. Alia recently hit 120 and is poised to finish Mirage by the end of the month. Even if she could still get xp, she'd only be level 122 tops when the next world comes out.

Now, take a different wizard. I started Fallon Raven last October and did every side quest with her. I also paused here and there to farm the various dungeons for the best gear available to her. So in addition to the added xp from dungeons that didn't exist back in 2010, she kept accumulating xp at the end of Dragonspyre instead of topping out. At the end of Celestia instead of topping out. And of course, all of Wintertusk, without topping out. The result is that she's level 74 ... and just starting Zafaria. She's 14 levels ahead! And frankly it stinks. It's frustrating. A lot of the cheating bosses were nerfed already and that, combined with her being so over leveled makes it too easy.

*Gasp!*
(Yeah, I can't believe I just said that. )

Also, she should be able to train for a number of utility spells in Avalon, yet is stuck one full world behind. By the time she actually gets to those NPCs, she'll probably be level 80 or more, finally catching up on spells she should have been able to train at level 72-78. This problem will repeat in Azteca and Khrysalis...

If I were doing PVP, this would be a serious handicap.

KI did actually solve some of this by removing all xp from the side quests in Mirage. Eventually the xp advantage will level out. But yeah, at levels 60-100 right now there's a problem.

Alia Misthaven

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
would like to say congratulations! you reach " Hot Topic Status" but in my fair opinion, this post didnt deserve to be dragged this long.... if your main goal is to be lvl 100, with 2 shadow pips.... for pvp.... have fun, i dont see why people care so much for defeating a virtual character in a virtual game......it' pointless.... 90% of this post disagrees.... can we move on? Khrysalis is already the longest world in the game, even if you reduce the xp given, by a million.... you'll still walk out pushing pass lvl 100

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
sKochiya on May 28, 2017 wrote:
So what if you want to be over-leveled? You can complete sidequests, and they'll get you way over even the old level requirements.
Seriously???? I have done and will continue to do sides. I purposely want my wizards to be over level which also helps in defeating some of those SOLO BOSSES.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Freshta on May 29, 2017 wrote:
I can kind of see what sKochiya is saying. Wizards who got a later start are getting over-leveled and yes, the advantage actually does go to those who went through earliest when xp was capped.

Over-leveled as a handicap? That's called irony.

As more and more worlds come out with more and more side quests, over-leveling has had a multiplier effect. My oldest wizards that I started back in 2009, who finish each world as it comes out, are leveled appropriately for each new world. Alia recently hit 120 and is poised to finish Mirage by the end of the month. Even if she could still get xp, she'd only be level 122 tops when the next world comes out.

Now, take a different wizard. I started Fallon Raven last October and did every side quest with her. I also paused here and there to farm the various dungeons for the best gear available to her. So in addition to the added xp from dungeons that didn't exist back in 2010, she kept accumulating xp at the end of Dragonspyre instead of topping out. At the end of Celestia instead of topping out. And of course, all of Wintertusk, without topping out. The result is that she's level 74 ... and just starting Zafaria. She's 14 levels ahead! And frankly it stinks. It's frustrating. A lot of the cheating bosses were nerfed already and that, combined with her being so over leveled makes it too easy.

*Gasp!*
(Yeah, I can't believe I just said that. )

Also, she should be able to train for a number of utility spells in Avalon, yet is stuck one full world behind. By the time she actually gets to those NPCs, she'll probably be level 80 or more, finally catching up on spells she should have been able to train at level 72-78. This problem will repeat in Azteca and Khrysalis...

If I were doing PVP, this would be a serious handicap.

KI did actually solve some of this by removing all xp from the side quests in Mirage. Eventually the xp advantage will level out. But yeah, at levels 60-100 right now there's a problem.

Alia Misthaven
Currently, most of my wizards are well behind as far as worlds in which they are able to train for spells. But as I mentioned in my last post, by being over level, it makes it easier to defeat many of those Solo Bosses.

The fact that KI did remove all XP from Sides in Mirage, will also determine how much further I will play this game.

You also have to remember that KI made some changes in 2014 that allows wizards to enter their next world at about 5 levels lower than previously set. By that fact, why should those of us who purposely have worked to be several levels above the Old levels, have to enter at even lower levels than desired. At some point, those who are struggling now are going to give up.

Many are not going to beat our heads against the wall to Farm those optional dungeons for the gear. As with Tartarus, I did it once but won't do it again. 4 of my 12 wizards earned WW gear within 10 runs but the remaining 8 finally stopped running WW and crafted lvl 56-58 gear in WT. Most of the gear on all my wizards now is crafted.

So, losing addtional XP levels for many really is not a good option.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
LOL. This topic is making me chuckle. It appears that some people can't let go of this issue and it's becoming an argument. Yes, I can see where sKochiya is coming from but Khrysalis is already set within the line of the other worlds when it comes to xp amounts, the level, the gear and spells for that level range. Any more tweaking can mess things up. Ki is doing their best to make this game enjoyable to everyone. All I can tell you people is just sit back, relax and have fun doing what you like to do; have fun. If Khrysalis's set up bugs you to much, why not tell them directly. They can help you more then we can.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
camahawk on May 29, 2017 wrote:
would like to say congratulations! you reach " Hot Topic Status" but in my fair opinion, this post didnt deserve to be dragged this long.... if your main goal is to be lvl 100, with 2 shadow pips.... for pvp.... have fun, i dont see why people care so much for defeating a virtual character in a virtual game......it' pointless.... 90% of this post disagrees.... can we move on? Khrysalis is already the longest world in the game, even if you reduce the xp given, by a million.... you'll still walk out pushing pass lvl 100
PVP isn't a 'virtual character,' it's live combat against another real human being. That's the draw. PVP is like a chess match against another person rather than a mere "video game."

As I understand it, the ranking system that puts two wizards together for a match only looks at their "experience" levels but not where they are in terms of questing. There is indeed a problem because people of the same level on the surface, in terms of experience points earned, may not be anywhere near the same level in terms of spells they actually have access to.

Thus my post to sort of agree with sKochiya.

While I don't think reducing the experience we can earn on the main quest lines is the answer, I do agree that there's a problem and it definitely impacts PVP players far more than it hurts those of us just questing through the worlds. But that's not to say PVE isn't also running into issues caused by over-leveling. Take the Daily Assignments, which are assigned based on xp alone. Being sent to a place we haven't unlocked yet through questing is still a frequent complaint on these boards. So yes, over-leveling is impacting us PVE players, too, just not to the same degree.

As far as solutions, KI has stopped giving xp for side quests in Mirage. That's a start. They could reduce the xp for side quests in all the lower worlds too, but that still wouldn't address the immediate problem sKochiya is describing. Maybe KI also needs to redesign the matching system to look at where a wizard has quested rather than what xp level they've reached....

Alia Misthaven