Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

10 Things that KI can do to fix PVP (Hotfixes)

AuthorMessage
Delver
Mar 31, 2015
1: Make Enfeeble a readily available TC.

2. Give players the option to Draw after 10 minutes, where neither player wins (kind of like Chess). Neither player gains or loses Rank. (Or, both players gain a small amount; but that is prone to boosting which also shouldn't be allowed but whatever).

3: Force a draw for PVP matches lasting longer than 45 minutes.

4: Increase the Pip cost of Sanctuary to 5 or 6.

5. Increase the Anti-heal of Doom and Gloom to 85%, and decrease its Pip cost to 1.

6. Make the frustrating and low-counterplay cards like Elucidate, Bad Juju, Icebird, Fire Beetle, Burning Rampage, and Guardian Spirit NO PVP.

7. Increase Main Spell Deck Capacity to 120 or 140, and Side Deck to 60.

8. Create a stat called Armor Pierce Resist, and ensure that there is never too much of it on any one item. So that to have an amount of 20% or so, one would have to be wearing a full set of APR gear.

9. Show some love towards crafting; where are the crafted items that are genuinely better than Darkmoor gear? Crafted items should be far better or at least decently better than dropped gear.

10. Oh, and finally... please playtest your own game. Here's looking at you, Reshuffle.

That's all I can think of for now.

Adrian, Level 115
(Rated 1329).

Defender
Nov 24, 2012
Exabytes on Jan 11, 2017 wrote:

2. Give players the option to Draw after 10 minutes, where neither player wins (kind of like Chess). Neither player gains or loses Rank. (Or, both players gain a small amount; but that is prone to boosting which also shouldn't be allowed but whatever).

5. Increase the Anti-heal of Doom and Gloom to 85%, and decrease its Pip cost to 1.

6. Make the frustrating and low-counterplay cards like Elucidate, Bad Juju, Icebird, Fire Beetle, Burning Rampage, and Guardian Spirit NO PVP.

8. Create a stat called Armor Pierce Resist, and ensure that there is never too much of it on any one item. So that to have an amount of 20% or so, one would have to be wearing a full set of APR gear.

9. Show some love towards crafting; where are the crafted items that are genuinely better than Darkmoor gear? Crafted items should be far better or at least decently better than dropped gear.

10. Oh, and finally... please playtest your own game. Here's looking at you, Reshuffle.

Adrian, Level 115
(Rated 1329).
In other words, to summarize your post, ban Angels from PvP.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
1. Do people really bladestack that much that Enfeeble is that important?
2. Not sure if I support draws.
3. Maybe instead of forcing a draw you go into Sudden Death after a certain amount of time/rounds. Damage and pierce slowly ramp up while heals weaken. This ensures the match has to end in a reasonable amount of time rather than someone with high heal boost and resist being able to drag it on forever.
4. Life already suffers enough in the bubble war with a bubble that boosts something just about everyone does and costs more than the bubbles of other schools. Making it 5-6 pips effectively bans it from PvP for everyone except jades who won't spend their pips on hits.
5. Doom is in a good place, if you ask me.
6. First of all, do people actually use elucidates? Second of all, since you give up 300 base damage at higher levels, is it really that overpowered? I see no reason to remove Bad Juju when the issue is spamming it. There's plenty of counterplay to it otherwise. Fire Beetle, Burning Rampage, and Guardian Spirit should just be nerfed, not removed. Icebird seems similar to Death Scarab, so I'm not sure why it needs a nerf.
7. Why?
8. I think this is an interesting statistic, but don't you think we have enough stats already? Besides, what would make me want it over resist, which protects me in all cases?
9. Why should crafted gear be better than Darkmoor gear?

Delver
Mar 31, 2015
Robobot1747 on Jan 17, 2017 wrote:
3. Maybe instead of forcing a draw you go into Sudden Death after a certain amount of time/rounds. Damage and pierce slowly ramp up while heals weaken. This ensures the match has to end in a reasonable amount of time rather than someone with high heal boost and resist being able to drag it on forever.
4. Life already suffers enough in the bubble war with a bubble that boosts something just about everyone does and costs more than the bubbles of other schools. Making it 5-6 pips effectively bans it from PvP for everyone except jades who won't spend their pips on hits.
6. First of all, do people actually use elucidates? Second of all, since you give up 300 base damage at higher levels, is it really that overpowered? I see no reason to remove Bad Juju when the issue is spamming it. There's plenty of counterplay to it otherwise. Fire Beetle, Burning Rampage, and Guardian Spirit should just be nerfed, not removed. Icebird seems similar to Death Scarab, so I'm not sure why it needs a nerf.
7. Why?
8. I think this is an interesting statistic, but don't you think we have enough stats already? Besides, what would make me want it over resist, which protects me in all cases?
1. In PVP, yes. Ice, Life, Myth, and Death especially love bladestacking. Ice is the most oppressive, because at higher rank any half-decent Ice will have set resist to the top 3 schools (). Tower spam + Weaver spam + Icebird spam + Frostbite spam really makes it extremely difficult to deal with a good Ice, especially from second. I can only have so many Ice shields.

2. Ok.

3. Interesting. I like it.

4. Sanctuary in my opinion is far too powerful for its pip cost, and since we have maycast Sanctuary pets but not maycast Doom and Gloom pets, and since Jades abuse it quite often as well, making it 5-6 pips is justified.

5. Doom is in a good place, until you face wizards with 55 resist, 74% inc. and 81% out. . Then Doom ain't gonna do $#3#.

6. Yes. And Yes. You don't use Elucidates for damage spells usually, but rather for stuff like Dispels, and heals, and utility effects like Mana Burn, which can't be Damage-enchanted anyway. 0 Pip dispels (usually ) are fun ya know, cause you get a free turn while guaranteeing that your opponent's next spell will fizzle. 2 Pip Satyrs? Gotcha. No, Elucidate isn't really an issue till you reach 1300+ rank in PVP, but it's enough of one for me to mention it.

7. There are simply too many strategies in PVP to counter with a set of only 64 cards. (Unless you're , or a Jade ). If I wanted to go full pierce and add lots of Shrikes and Counterforces and Infallibles and Dooms, enchanted blades and hits for a OHKO, sure I could do that, but I wouldn't be able to beat a more traditional opponent that you know, actually attacks. especially has this problem. You can't bladestack for a OHKO without requiring lots of Cleanse Charm + Shatter, but you can't leave out shields or heals or you'll be crippled by everyone else that will just DPS you to death. Due to the nature of my kit, I am forced to choose whether I want to itemize vs Jades or itemize vs 'Normal' players. This is not fair. This is why I say to increase the deck limit.

Delver
Mar 31, 2015
Robobot1747 on Jan 17, 2017 wrote:
7. Why?
8. I was a little vague when I talked about APR. An fine example of APR gear would be:

Armor of the Sand Scales ()
Level 120+

+915
+120 Critical
+120 Block
+ 15% Resist
+ 3% Armor Piercing
+ 7% Armor Pierce Resist
+ 25% Damage
+ 15% Power Pip Chance
+ 150 Pip Conversion

so as you can see APR gear would have resist, just not obnoxious amounts of it, and little in the way of healing.

9. This is really only my opinion. Crafting takes effort and time. But right now crafting is more focused on aesthetics (like custom Azteca houses, house portals, random objects, etc). Earlier on in the game's progression, crafted gear actually felt worth having. But now, crafting just feels 'meh' when it comes to offensive gear. Which would you rather, doing an obnoxious dungeon repetitively to get your gear which drops first time for some people and after 30x for others, or to actually feel like yeah man, I did the Novice/Apprentice/Initiate/Master/Legendary/Transcendent/Promethean/Champion crafter quests, I deserve to get gear that's actually good, even if I have to craft it. IMO, crafted gear doesn't have to be 'the best', but it should at least be on par with dropped gear this late into the game. And if we're going to go with 'but you have crafted Loremaster its OP OP', well ok. That was Avalon, 60 levels ago. Give us more crafted spells, not just Myth or Storm or whatever.

Delver
Jun 14, 2016
First thing: why have armor pierce resist when it's going to be less useful than resistance anyway?
Armor pierce was a hackish stat anyway; what KI should have done was have resistance reduce damage to base / (1 + resist) instead of base * (1 - resist). But I'm getting off point.

Agreed than Enfeeble should be auctionable, but having cards that remove ALL blades makes blades a lot less useful. Earthquake should remove 1 positive charm and ward each instead, and Enfeeble should just remove 4 positive charms. Sirens would be better off removing only one charm. But then we might need higher health buffers to compensate for more effective blade stacking.
I'm also against May Cast Enfeeble pets for the same reason. Might be a good idea to make it a May Cast Disarm.

Having Sanctuary be more expensive isn't much of a problem since we still have Namaste, but even that's far more expensive than the typical damage bubble.

Elucidate is probably going to die out eventually since there are only so many times it can be used. I'll support bringing back Simplify as at least a more readily available treasure card if it can't enchant dispels or Juju (or other annoying cards).

Finally, agreed on increasing deck size, but I'm not sure how it would be done since there's room for only 64 cards.

Defender
Nov 24, 2012
Exabytes on Jan 11, 2017 wrote:

Adrian, Level 115
(Rated 1329).
Let me go through some of your suggestions to "fix" PvP. It is very evident that you are targetting specific strategies.

1) Don't have much to say about this.

2) 10 minute match? Seriously?

3) PvP is turning more into tournaments.

4) As Robobot explained, Life already has trouble playing bubble wars, compared to most schools' 2 pip bubble. Playing bubble wars leaves us pipless. Racing its pip cost to 5 or 6 is just embarrassing.

5) Are you even serious? Let's make Sanctuary 5 or 6 pips, and on top of that, let's make Doom 1 pip and raice it to 85%. Why? Because that's only fair.

6) I agree with you. Let's ban the frustrating and low-counterplay spells from PvP—wait, we are forgetting some low-counterplay spells. I suggest also banning Loremaster, Manaburn, and Supernova. Weird that you're Balance and forgot to mention those spells, right? You just want to go back to spaming your usual spells.

Seems like the things you mention are things you personally find a problem.

Delver
Mar 31, 2015
Angel of Solitude on Jan 19, 2017 wrote:
Let me go through some of your suggestions to "fix" PvP. It is very evident that you are targetting specific strategies.

1) Don't have much to say about this.

2) 10 minute match? Seriously?

3) PvP is turning more into tournaments.

4) As Robobot explained, Life already has trouble playing bubble wars, compared to most schools' 2 pip bubble. Playing bubble wars leaves us pipless. Racing its pip cost to 5 or 6 is just embarrassing.

5) Are you even serious? Let's make Sanctuary 5 or 6 pips, and on top of that, let's make Doom 1 pip and raice it to 85%. Why? Because that's only fair.

6) I agree with you. Let's ban the frustrating and low-counterplay spells from PvP—wait, we are forgetting some low-counterplay spells. I suggest also banning Loremaster, Manaburn, and Supernova. Weird that you're Balance and forgot to mention those spells, right? You just want to go back to spaming your usual spells.

Seems like the things you mention are things you personally find a problem.
1. Ok.

2. Sure, if both players want to draw, why not? There is something called real life, you know?...that thing called outside Wizard101? Besides if one player does not want to draw, he or she would simply decline the draw or ignore it altogether. Common sense.

3. Ok.

4. You are half right. The second half is that for the rest of us wanting to use Doom that are not wizards, the pip war evens out, as 2 pips used to cast a foreign card = 2 Power Pips from a turn perspective.
Also note that I am speaking from a perspective of countering the Jade Life and Angel (and some Juju) strategies, which employ extensive use of Sanctuary. But be honest, Life does not even need a Bubble. They are the only school that can consistently heal and stack Absorbs with Caterpillar. They can revive themselves after dying. Over and over. They can bladestack, trapstack. They can Triage DOTs. They even have a DOT!

5. So yep, it is kinda fair.

6. I personally don't think Supernova is OP, but sure why not. I'm all for removing Lore and Mana Burn and even Supernova too if that means we get rid of Fire Beetle and the like, but then don't complain when I say we need a only Blade, or other spells to offset what is you basically removing half of our main deck. It's not like Balance has much in the way of other strategies to use unfortunately...kinda like Storm.

7. And yes, I personally find Jades and Angels a problem. So do many other people. Look at a few Hot Topics. I'm not the only one.

Delver
Sep 25, 2008
I think the best way to fix PVP tournaments is to get rid of enchantments. I got killed before I even got to do anything. I think it cheating! I was just checking it out and not fair putting me up against warlords in the tournament even if same health. Ages ago, a couple of years ago when I was playing it was fun random pvp with random teams. I'm glad you changed the normal one where pvp for similiar levels so it not unfair being against a high level if low or low level if high.

I started playing this game more for the quests but just saying my opinion. I guess people who are good at being warlord have nothing to complain about. I hate 1vs1! Yet the other ones, not good if the other person flees too, so change it that people can't flee if left on own in random teams.

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
fyi Elucidate and Simplify were removed from the game a year ago; if anyone has any in stock, it can still be used but you won't see these much going forward if at all.

Eyecaramba pet has may cast doom as a talent, unless they updated it? or use the tc version for higher impact?

Enfeeble was always an auction card until recently (last year); there is a reason it was removed. You can get a jewel that gives the card though (and it can be reshuffled).

to address blade stacking, pack some balance dispels.

um #6 - you should join tourney with no ammy, pet, etc. (classic) because it sounds like you don't want any side strat?

I am not a fan of the rampant Jade players; not fun when a match lasts over an hour with no win in sight.
not sure what the solution would be though.

Defender
Oct 15, 2009
Since most of the issues comes down to who is going first, a Reversal spell will balance PVP. When the card is cast from person going second it stuns the first wizard (unless blocked). After which the person going first is now going second.