Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Updated Graphics

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 30, 2009
Hey guys,
I was really thinking that we should urge Kingsisle to make a better graphics option in this game. The main reason I'm saying this is because graphics is often the first thing anybody notices in any game. If there was just an option to turn the settings to something like the graphics in the commercial instead of how it is now, people could choose which option they liked. I'm proposing this idea because I honestly think that this game is incredibly captivating as you get into it, but the graphics can very easily turn people off when they are first playing. What do you think? They listened to us on critical. We should really make this the next big change in the game!

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
In a word: Minecraft.

In more words: I don't think that the graphics have to be the very best and that is what all players look for in a game. I mean if it's bad enough you can't tell what your doing and what not yes, that is a problem however, overall graphics isn't my first thing I look for, though it is nice. For example, have you played Star Wars Battlefront? The graphics in that are very very detailed compared to It's predecessors Star Wars Battlefront and Battlefront II. However both of these games for me anyway are a thousand times better because:
1. It was more fun.
2. I liked the character options more
3. The menus were much easier to work
4. More content/levels/worlds
5. It's just more fun!

I'd totally play the old ones on my Xbox One if I could instead of the newest Battlefront. I mean there are only 4 worlds (I think 6 if you pay more money) and yeah the graphics are really good, but I just feel it is inferior.

Also there is this whole idea of Minecraft- let's be honest those graphics are sub-par at best. However it's like the most popular game in the universe. Why? Because it is fun for people to play! (Also the App store went through this 2D 8bit phase for a while- that was weird.)

So in conclusion, I'd be very excited if Wizard101, got a "Graphics Update" however, I feel that this is second priority to developing new content. I agree that those commercial graphics look AMAZING, but having to recode everything with such detail might delay other content and I'd rather not have that. I think that their style is pretty good as is. That being said you can adjust graphics settings depending on the beefyiness of your computer. (Particles, Shadows etc.) Perhaps they can continue to work on graphics and maybe one day it will get to that desired level you seek, but I guess I'm just saying don't make that top priority KI, make delivering new worlds, stories, spells first and then maybe tweak the graphics as you have time is my request. Just my thoughts!
exp613

Defender
Feb 08, 2009
I think Kings-isle just needs to go back and polish up the first few worlds. (Marleybone and Mooshu should be easy since they have stuff from Pirate).

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Easier said than done. First of all it would require a huge cost for KI, which already had staff cutbacks and dropped some new game dev this past year. I also think it would have the opposite effect you think. This game demographic includes families and children, many of whom don't have access to the newest, fastest computers. A lot of kids play on hand-me-downs that could never handle high end graphics. The graphics have continued improving with every new world released. Doing a major overhaul would drive more players away than drawing new ones, in my opinion.

Explorer
Feb 10, 2012
I think everyone who suggests a graphics update misunderstands how graphics work in 3D environments.