Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Bug/Cosmetic Issue for Maycast Pet Talents

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 22, 2010
Before the Summer Update, there was a clear distinction between maycast pet talents and card-giving pet talents. Unfortunately, with the update, it's now impossible to tell the difference!

For example, when I go to the pet kiosk, I want a pet with maycast balanceblade, however there's two talents with the name "Balanceblade": one of them is supposed to be a maycast and the other is a card-giving talent. I want the maycast talent.

Prior to the summer update, I could scroll over the pet talent and more information would be given--it would say "maycast balanceblade" if it was the maycast talent, and it would just show the card if it was the card-giving talent. Now it's not possible to tell the difference. One of the balanceblade pet talents simply has a smaller image of the card but they both just show the balanceblade cards. How am I supposed to tell the difference?

I noticed this problem for other maycast pet talents as well where it's not clear whether the talent is giving me a card or a maycast. It's really confusing, and I'm putting my pet training on hold until this gets clarified or resolved.

Administrator
Talon SoulCaster on Jul 30, 2021 wrote:
Before the Summer Update, there was a clear distinction between maycast pet talents and card-giving pet talents. Unfortunately, with the update, it's now impossible to tell the difference!

For example, when I go to the pet kiosk, I want a pet with maycast balanceblade, however there's two talents with the name "Balanceblade": one of them is supposed to be a maycast and the other is a card-giving talent. I want the maycast talent.

Prior to the summer update, I could scroll over the pet talent and more information would be given--it would say "maycast balanceblade" if it was the maycast talent, and it would just show the card if it was the card-giving talent. Now it's not possible to tell the difference. One of the balanceblade pet talents simply has a smaller image of the card but they both just show the balanceblade cards. How am I supposed to tell the difference?

I noticed this problem for other maycast pet talents as well where it's not clear whether the talent is giving me a card or a maycast. It's really confusing, and I'm putting my pet training on hold until this gets clarified or resolved.
Hi Talon! Thank you for the post! Does this only occur at the pet hatching kiosk? If it occurs elsewhere, please let us know. If there are other examples, such as hovering over a pet in the backpack and not being able to tell the difference, let us know.

Survivor
May 22, 2010
Hi, yes, when hovering the cursor over my pets in my backpack, the description does have "maycast" before the spell, if applicable. It's only confusing when in the pet kiosk or when you click "i" and hover the cursor over a specific pet talent, that it's not possible to tell the difference--other than two different-sized images of the spell, as I'd described.

Regarding my issue in the pet kiosk, I managed to figure out that the smaller-sized images of spells means it's a maycast talent and the large-sized images of spells means it's a card-giving talent. I understand the appeal that showing the card has--prior to the summer update, one of the Balanceblade talents only said "maycast balanceblade" without showing the spell, which some people might want to see--but it should be clear which type of talent is which, between maycasts and card-giving talents.

Squire
Apr 18, 2013
Maceryn on Jul 30, 2021 wrote:
Hi Talon! Thank you for the post! Does this only occur at the pet hatching kiosk? If it occurs elsewhere, please let us know. If there are other examples, such as hovering over a pet in the backpack and not being able to tell the difference, let us know.
Thank you Talon SoulCaster for reporting this.

-The backpack view is fine. It has the word 'maycast'.
-Backpack view right click reads 'maycast'. However, pressing TAB shows each card and have 'maycast' only when scrolled over.
-Using hotkey 'I' (pets page) is as confusing as the kiosk. The word 'maycast' is missing. It makes it seem as if the talent is the actual card.
-Comparing pets is fine.
-Hatchmaking kiosk - very confusing. I browse it for 'fairy' and it looks like a fairy card.
-Hatchery - every maycast looks like a card. So I do not want to hatch until this is fixed.

One more thing is the WillCast talents do not show at all in the following scenerios:
-backpack view
-backpack right click/TAB
-comparing with another wizard

Survivor
Jun 06, 2020
Here is what I have noticed about the maycast spells or the card spells with the pets. For example "maycast Unicorn" now just says UNICORN with a small version of the spell card. Gives card Unicorn spell it still says UNICORN but with a BIG VERSION of the spell card. Took me a while of comparing what the different in size of displayed spell cards actually meant.

I have a pet that has may cast pixie, may cast unicorn, and may cast pigsie. When I checked it thru the backpack and the pet tab I got confused at first. Because at first glance I thought it was giving me cards for my deck for those spells. But when I checked my deck nothing changed and those spells were not there.

So my best guess is if the spell picture is small its MAY CAST, and if spell picture is big then its GIVES CARD. The sizes are quite noticeable cause I actually need to put my glasses on to read the small version spell. I hope this helps with any confusion.

Squire
Apr 18, 2013
plumpixie15 on Aug 5, 2021 wrote:
Here is what I have noticed about the maycast spells or the card spells with the pets. For example "maycast Unicorn" now just says UNICORN with a small version of the spell card. Gives card Unicorn spell it still says UNICORN but with a BIG VERSION of the spell card. Took me a while of comparing what the different in size of displayed spell cards actually meant.

I have a pet that has may cast pixie, may cast unicorn, and may cast pigsie. When I checked it thru the backpack and the pet tab I got confused at first. Because at first glance I thought it was giving me cards for my deck for those spells. But when I checked my deck nothing changed and those spells were not there.

So my best guess is if the spell picture is small its MAY CAST, and if spell picture is big then its GIVES CARD. The sizes are quite noticeable cause I actually need to put my glasses on to read the small version spell. I hope this helps with any confusion.
Even so, we'd still need both talents to compare sizes. Plus, using different resolution sizes can make this difficult. It's easier if the game is just upfront with the talents. This was not an issue before the update but they go and change things that were perfectly fine. They should just put it back to the way it was.

Can someone from KI please respond to this. Or just put it back to the way it was at the next maintenance.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
stemogstel on Aug 31, 2021 wrote:
Even so, we'd still need both talents to compare sizes. Plus, using different resolution sizes can make this difficult. It's easier if the game is just upfront with the talents. This was not an issue before the update but they go and change things that were perfectly fine. They should just put it back to the way it was.

Can someone from KI please respond to this. Or just put it back to the way it was at the next maintenance.
I agree, the kiosk was better they way it was before.

If some reason it can't be changed back, can we get a green line/glow around the maycast cards to at least distinguish them from the item card versions (like how it is distinguished in other icon only formats)?

Survivor
May 22, 2010
I agree with the most recent comments: it's not intuitive to have different resolutions/sizes to distinguish May Cast vs. card-giving talents.

The only reason I'm writing here is to emphasize what stemogstel said in their Aug 2nd post: Will Cast talents do not show up at all which is a serious problem. I recently obtained a pet with a Will Cast talent and realized this issue right away. So there are problems with both May Cast talents and Will Cast talents.

Survivor
May 22, 2010
I cannot emphasize enough my disappointment that this issue wasn't addressed in the November update--at least what I've seen from the testing realm.

I hope that by adding pictures that I can more effectively communicate the issues I've been having for the past four months now.

To summarize: In the pets page (click "i"), the hatchery (at the page when hatching), and the hatchmaking kiosk, you cannot tell the difference* between maycast talents and card-giving talents. Here are pictures which very clearly show the problem. (*The only difference is different-sized resolutions of the spell, which is confusing and not intuitive.)

Separately, as stemogstel pointed out in their August 2nd post, Will-cast talents do not show up at all in the backpack view or when comparing pets with another wizard. Arguably, that is an even greater problem.