Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Learning other school paths

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 10, 2009
So something I noticed that was expanded on with the Arcanum was the fact that you can now learn other schools higher level spells. Like being able to learn Storm lord or Forest lord. I was wondering if this was going to be expanded on in later expansions.

For example one of my dreams that I have had since about 2008 would be a way to enroll into another school. Either by paying a certain amount of crowns or by having a max level character reset down to level 1. I think it would be a really cool way of adding more variety into each wizard build. Instead of just learning ice up to tower shield or death up to feint. On pretty much every character. I would really love to see more variety in the way that Wizard101 is played. Giving that option to expand into another class fully.

I know from a PvP stand point this would make characters much harder to balance, but I am sure that there would be a way to do it with out disrupting the entire game completely.

I would love to hear others thoughts and get feedback on what others think about this idea. And hopefully I will see you around the spiral!

Alex IceHeart

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Agreed. When I first heard about training in a second school, I was really excited! I thought it would be like "minoring" in college.

There had to be a benefit to going all the way, right? There had to be a reason why we should spend training points, so I hoped it meant we would gain access to useful second school utility cards such as the blades. I even thought we might be rewarded with a school-specific side quest after we'd trained all the possible spells.

But ... none of that happened.

I also hoped that we would at least be able craft treasure cards in that second school (we can't), or craft and equip school-only gear in that second class if we committed to learning all the possible spells from that second school. Also, it seems pointless to have a wizard at level 100, who can only train damage spells in a second school up to level 50. That's so low, why bother?

Basically, I wanted to see a return on my commitment to spending so many training points on a second school. But there's nothing special there and never has been. Even when we only had the first arc, the second school became useless by level 30 because we didn't have mastery amulets back then. To this day, there really is no benefit in fully training a second school that you couldn't get just from using treasure cards and a mastery amulet.

So after my first wizard was so disappointed I never bothered to fully train a second school again.

Alia Misthaven

Survivor
Feb 07, 2014
Also agreed.
I mentioned a similar idea here: www.wizard101.com/forum/the-dorms/better-secondary-school-support-8ad6a4246584c0ec0165a422928c1a44?page=1

Ambrose even specifically mentions a secondary school when you first start getting training points, only it really isn't a secondary school at all. You can spend your training points on any school equally as any other. It just doesn't feel special.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Freshta said: "or craft and equip school-only gear in that second class"

If they expanded Mastery amulets to allow this, it would be nice. I'll give a perfect example. Being a healer. ANY school can be a healer. With a Life Mastery amulet, my fire wizard played healer in Tower of Helephant, and NOBODY died. If I could have used Life school gear when wearing the amulet, I might have had better outgoing healing.

Almost 4.5 years ago, I made THIS THREAD that talked about expanding Mastery options. I feel we should have Mastery Decks that allow the same benefit of "in school" copies, but for 2 schools. it also goes on to mention about all the extra Sun and Moon blades/traps/shields. Since then, we've seen even more with things like Wraith Blade etc.

Since Jewels have come out, we have yet to see Mastery Jewels. This would be an AWESOME option to free up the Amulet spot and allow us greater flexibility. They should be NON-shatterable so we can trade them around in our sharebank. Like Mastery Amulets, there should be various levels of them.

They could also expand secondary school spells by allowing people with mastery amulets to go on the quests from the secondary schools and learn those spells. The caveat is that you can only learn & use those spells if you have mastery in that school. You would need mastery in the second school to get the quest, to learn the spell, and separately, once learned, you would need a mastery item equipped to load those learned spells into your spellbook. This way, there is a specific set of circumstances with how you could use your secondary school.

Also, with a Mastery Amulet, you could buy that school's spells for free. So, if you were to buy all of the Life school spells and you were fire, with the Amulet, you could buy them for free. These spells would be exempt from the mastery amulet requirement to load them into your deck because anybody can buy them, they just cost less with the mastery amulet.