Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Any reason steam progression is separate?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 22, 2015
Would it really have been THAT hard to integrate KI login with steam? No it wouldn't have, steam has a very intuitive login API and I've seen multiple MMO's have a download client and a steam client, with linked progression. So why can't this be the reality in wizard101?

For anyone out of the loop KI revealed that even though steam version will be on the same server, for some reason that hasn't been explained yet, they aren't going to be linking the KI login so you can play your existing wizards on the steam version. (Play steam you gotta make new wizards as your steam acc won't be treated as your KI acc)

I've had people say that it's such a minor thing but that's what I'm saying, it's so minor how can it not be a feature? It's exceedingly easy to do unless there's some hold up in the login system on the KI side which i would understand and accept if they simply said it.

I don't know, what are your opinions wizards?

Administrator
CubYT on Aug 21, 2018 wrote:
Would it really have been THAT hard to integrate KI login with steam? No it wouldn't have, steam has a very intuitive login API and I've seen multiple MMO's have a download client and a steam client, with linked progression. So why can't this be the reality in wizard101?

For anyone out of the loop KI revealed that even though steam version will be on the same server, for some reason that hasn't been explained yet, they aren't going to be linking the KI login so you can play your existing wizards on the steam version. (Play steam you gotta make new wizards as your steam acc won't be treated as your KI acc)

I've had people say that it's such a minor thing but that's what I'm saying, it's so minor how can it not be a feature? It's exceedingly easy to do unless there's some hold up in the login system on the KI side which i would understand and accept if they simply said it.

I don't know, what are your opinions wizards?
Hi CubYT! We've tried to answer that question in the Steam FAQ posted here:

https://www.wizard101.com/game/steam-faq

It was essentially a better situation all-around for the game to have this separation in place.

Survivor
Jan 26, 2018
Sparck on Aug 22, 2018 wrote:
Hi CubYT! We've tried to answer that question in the Steam FAQ posted here:

https://www.wizard101.com/game/steam-faq

It was essentially a better situation all-around for the game to have this separation in place.
No where does it state on that page that says why you guys cannot incorporate login APIs from steam to the KI Launcher. Multiple other games have their own launchers; Paladins, for example. Downloading from the website or steam will allow the same progression on that game. Is there some sort of altercation about KI? I'd love to play my wizard on steam but I don't want to start over, I'm level 90...

Survivor
Feb 17, 2012
The simple answer is:

Steam is greedy and Kingsisle is forced to make steam created accounts separate due to steam API.

The complex answer is:

Steam's API and database must be properly sync'd with the the Wizard101 servers to track transactions and be able to properly process purchases made with steam accounts. As such, in order to properly sync an existing non-steam account with steam's servers would require Kingisle to transfer character and account data over to the steam database.

This is time consuming and potentially costly to Kingisle(Steam may charge for doing something like this). The more obvious reason for this however is that new accounts don't have access to any of their content from their old accounts and as such if they want to play through steam, must buy crowns to get everything back and steam takes a percentage of the profit from each and every transaction made through their API/client.