Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Vanity, superficiality, and materialism

AuthorMessage
Defender
Nov 24, 2012
This is a topic I've been wanting to post for a quite a while now. Initially, I wanted to respond to a user named Snee432 in the following thread: thread. I contemplated whether or not I should take such action, for the three conceps depicted in the title of this thread may prove to be uncomfortable to chat about. That is understandable; however, I believe such concepts should not go unmentioned. Frankly, I'd be surprised to see this topic get posted.

I've faced players like the one Snee432 described in his/her second post. Players who deem those with unstitched beautiful gear as losers. Or people who depict virtual players as ugly. Yes, virtual. We have players calling others ugly. I often overhear players call other players ugly while passing by The Commons. I find it quite saddening.

I had a friend in the game who told me she wore a mask (in the game) because players found her ugly. When she told me this, I admit I was rather confused; I didn't get it. I did not understand how such thing could be possible. People have grown concerned over their and others' appearance—not just in real life, but inside the virtual world too. Often times when I've had a bad day, I like to unwind in this game, forgetting about everything else—forgetting about the real world outside. But it is these things that bring me back to reality.

I've, too, experience this type behavior from players. I remember being in a PvP match while a friend watched. I remember that right after I lost the match, I teleported away. It wasn't minutes after I received a message from my friend, "Wow. They are talking trash about your gear," she mentioned. "What are they saying?" I asked curiously. "That you're trash. Your resist is trash." I was considered trash because my gear was not acceptable. I tried not to think about it, but I admit that experience ruined my day.

Frankly, I've grown bored over this appearance issue in the game. Every time I enter the arena, everyone looks the same. I see everyone wearing the same face, elegant gear, warlord gear. This is not to bash players for wearing what they please, but rather a reminder that not everyone wants to look like you. I'd like to state, however, that there is a beautiful advantage inside all of this ugliness. People's superficial assumptions can be used to one's advantage. Wear strong gear and stitch it with gear others deem unattractive (make sure the stitched gear is gear your level, so it seems legit), go to the arena, and voila! Let people's assumptions on how trash you are run wild; they'll be more inclined to make more mistakes because in their heads, they have already won. They won't expect you to be any good even though you are.

I'd like to hear from you guys and possibly read your own stories and how you're all dealing with it.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
All the trash talking you've mentioned is exactly why I stay FAR away from PVP. There's enough bullying and judgement in the world already, why do they feel the need to bring it into a children's game?! I know that not all PVPers are toxic like this, but enough are that, sadly, they poison the entire arena.

I do see wizards with random, mismatched gear in other areas of the Spiral. My immediate assumption is that it's probably a kid. Little kids get so excited when they win something that they put it on right away - they don't care if it "matches." Also, they may not have crowns to stitch items so they just wear what they can find.

Many of them end up on my friends list if they ask me, precisely because I suspect they're young. I've played with very young kids often enough to recognize the traits they bring to their wizards. They're more free-spirited, not so deep "into appearances" as older players get. They don't read all the guides, they don't grind for perfect gear, they just play the game because they they enjoy running around pretending to be wizards. It's refreshing to be around them.

Alia Misthaven

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
My death was facing a balance from second in a 1 v 1 tourney. First thing that anyone said was a friend of theirs, who told me I already lost before I played a card. At one point I played a bad juju to prevent a big hit and they were like "who uses that in quick match". In the end I did win, to which my opponent said "get a new face". LOL it made me laugh pretty hard.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Angel of Solitude on Sep 6, 2017 wrote:
This is a topic I've been wanting to post for a quite a while now. Initially, I wanted to respond to a user named Snee432 in the following thread: thread. I contemplated whether or not I should take such action, for the three conceps depicted in the title of this thread may prove to be uncomfortable to chat about. That is understandable; however, I believe such concepts should not go unmentioned. Frankly, I'd be surprised to see this topic get posted.

I've faced players like the one Snee432 described in his/her second post. Players who deem those with unstitched beautiful gear as losers. Or people who depict virtual players as ugly. Yes, virtual. We have players calling others ugly. I often overhear players call other players ugly while passing by The Commons. I find it quite saddening.

I had a friend in the game who told me she wore a mask (in the game) because players found her ugly. When she told me this, I admit I was rather confused; I didn't get it. I did not understand how such thing could be possible. People have grown concerned over their and others' appearance—not just in real life, but inside the virtual world too. Often times when I've had a bad day, I like to unwind in this game, forgetting about everything else—forgetting about the real world outside. But it is these things that bring me back to reality.

I've, too, experience this type behavior from players. I remember being in a PvP match while a friend watched. I remember that right after I lost the match, I teleported away. It wasn't minutes after I received a message from my friend, "Wow. They are talking trash about your gear," she mentioned. "What are they saying?" I asked curiously. "That you're trash. Your resist is trash." I was considered trash because my gear was not acceptable. I tried not to think about it, but I admit that experience ruined my day.

Frankly, I've grown bored over this appearance issue in the game. Every time I enter the arena, everyone looks the same. I see everyone wearing the same face, elegant gear, warlord gear. This is not to bash players for wearing what they please, but rather a reminder that not everyone wants to look like you. I'd like to state, however, that there is a beautiful advantage inside all of this ugliness. People's superficial assumptions can be used to one's advantage. Wear strong gear and stitch it with gear others deem unattractive (make sure the stitched gear is gear your level, so it seems legit), go to the arena, and voila! Let people's assumptions on how trash you are run wild; they'll be more inclined to make more mistakes because in their heads, they have already won. They won't expect you to be any good even though you are.

I'd like to hear from you guys and possibly read your own stories and how you're all dealing with it.
I find it more than ridiculous that others will judge someone on their looks and clothes in a virtual game setting: really? There is only a small variation of appearance in character creation: chances are the player you call ugly looks like you! ( Think about that, eh? )
Now as to clothes: everyone has the right to wear what they deem is best for their character ( class stats or imaginative concept of what their character ought to look like. )
Not everyone has the crowns to stitch ( or even want to use their crowns to stitch. )
Individuality rocks!
And know that you are beautiful!

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
I totally get you. I'm sick of everyone wearing the same gear and this leaves stereotypes for them. It really annoys me how everyone wears the same exact look, I can't stand it, maybe if more looks were added into the game, it wouldn't be as much of an issue. Everytime I go into the hatchery everyone is wearing some sort of elegant gear. It makes me angry because I know right then and there that those people are condicending jerks. Now don't take that the wrong way, this is only because a majority of the people I have met in game wearing that gear have actually been like that and every single person I have seen in the hatchery wearing that gear has been like that. Yes, there will be people wearing that gear who won't be like that but really not likely to happen. In the comments I'll expect some bashing over this but seriously, what I say is very true. Also, if any of you is told in game you are ugly or are trash, they're wrong. They're trolls and you are perfectly fine as you are. Also if someone tells you that you're ugly then they're calling themselves ugly because everyone is based off the same face.

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
This is one of the biggest reasons why the pvp system sickens me.

Because I feel like more often than not if you're not a warlord with the dream team equipment and pet that not has amazing stats but looks of epic proportion than everyone acts like they're better than you or you're not worth cheering for.

Pvp should not be about glitz and glamour but about skill and strategy. It's part of why I feel that people she not be able to inspect a pvp duelist while they are dueling (even if they say something and their name comes up in the chat). That way duelists can be judged less on looks and gear and more on skill and strategy.

I also feel like fewer and fewer pvp players associate themselves with people outside of pvp. Not that this is a problem, people are allowed to be friends with whomever the like, it just makes the pvp world seem a bit disconnected for the rest of them game.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Wow. Words escape me. If that's the type of thing that goes on in PvP, then I'm glad I don't participate in that activity.

Ugly? in a game where the big differences in how a wizard looks are skin color, hair color and eye color? (No complaints on that regard.) But that is a real-world example of Dr. Suess' Sneetches.

Stitching? no idea what you're talking about. I'm an older Wizard (read my kids are adults) I don't have crown because $9.99/month is about all my budget can handle for an online game. My gear has NEVER matched. I get what I can, with the stats that I like and fit my style of gameplay, from drops or the Bazaar and don't care how it looks.

To find out that in a VIRTUAL game where NONE of this real, people are being judgemental based on appearances. Again, wow, I have no words.

This might be a good place to request a guild system. One where the snobs can congregate and be snobbish and the rest of us can congregate and ignore their venom.

Steven Ghoststalker

Explorer
Apr 17, 2012
First off pvp. Can't stand it. It takes way to long to complete and I have no enjoyment in making little kids cry. Even though unlike the real world were everyone gets a trophy these days for just taking part. There should be a winner and loser.

Secondly. Really? It's a game people. Hello!!!! Doe it really matter what you look like or what your stats are? If it doesn't bother you then why should you even care what these kids. Or I should rephrase that. Little children say.

Third. There is a ignore button for a reason. I use it all the time. I love it. Best button on the entire game.

Defender
Nov 24, 2012
bob3567441 on Sep 7, 2017 wrote:
First off pvp. Can't stand it. It takes way to long to complete and I have no enjoyment in making little kids cry. Even though unlike the real world were everyone gets a trophy these days for just taking part. There should be a winner and loser.

Secondly. Really? It's a game people. Hello!!!! Doe it really matter what you look like or what your stats are? If it doesn't bother you then why should you even care what these kids. Or I should rephrase that. Little children say.

Third. There is a ignore button for a reason. I use it all the time. I love it. Best button on the entire game.
I always here people saying it is the little kids who act like this. From my experience, it is mostly teens in their late teens and young adults who posses such crude behavior. I know this because people often share their age. Or give away hints, like mentioning they have kids, are married, or what grade they are in. Most little kids don't care about such superficial things. They're too focused in the story line and PvE.

Explorer
Apr 17, 2012
Angel of Solitude on Sep 8, 2017 wrote:
I always here people saying it is the little kids who act like this. From my experience, it is mostly teens in their late teens and young adults who posses such crude behavior. I know this because people often share their age. Or give away hints, like mentioning they have kids, are married, or what grade they are in. Most little kids don't care about such superficial things. They're too focused in the story line and PvE.
Well I have to say that at my age they're all children. And secondly I've personally have met 30 something people that have the mentality of some 6 year olds. So Yeah again just because there physical age is older doesn't mean there brains are.

No matter how you look at it, its childish behavior which you don't have to put up with if you hit the ignore button.

Mastermind
Oct 21, 2013
Wear whatever you want. If it's elegant gear or not. I don't care.

It's fine if people are following the trend of wearing elegant gear but to bash on the people who don't is so stupid and just a waste of time.

Not everyone is in on PVP or getting the best gear. Some are just into the storyline. They don't have time/and or don't care enough to get the best gear and stitch.

This is a G A M E

Why is it so hard for people to notice that?

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
bob3567441 on Sep 8, 2017 wrote:
Well I have to say that at my age they're all children. And secondly I've personally have met 30 something people that have the mentality of some 6 year olds. So Yeah again just because there physical age is older doesn't mean there brains are.

No matter how you look at it, its childish behavior which you don't have to put up with if you hit the ignore button.
*mmfff* Yeah, I feel the same way.

But then Stupid knows no age limit, and we seem to have raised a generation (or two) where stupid is not only permissible but often rewarded.

Don't get me wrong, MOST if not ALL of the Wizards I've encountered during my play are kind, courteous, and gracious. It's the one that do have a an overflowing bout of the stupid that spoil it for everyone.

Steven Ghoststalker

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I could not care less what anyone wears.

Sometimes I see beautiful gear or a thoughtfully put together look, and I appreciate that. But the reverse isn't true. Just because someone has on mismatched colors or gear doesn't make me upset or think less of them. I think they probably just don't want to waste money on stitching or dyeing or they are moving so fast through the game it isn't worth it to them.

There is something to be said for saving your gold when you are a new player. Also in the early levels it doesn't make a lot of sense to keep stitching or dyeing because you will want to change clothes for every piece of gear that gives you even one more health point or stat.

Honestly if someone is so bored or mean they want to make fun of toons, mute them. They can't think of anything better to say, after all.

Explorer
Mar 11, 2009
This is one reason why I dont do PVP....too much negative remarks and a lot of ego on the line.....however, would it not be nice if they had a separate pvp section with NO ranking...just duel for the fun of it....I might try it then as the "ranking" wizards would not be interested since there was no advancement....but right now it is what it is.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Pink Bunny on Sep 9, 2017 wrote:
This is one reason why I dont do PVP....too much negative remarks and a lot of ego on the line.....however, would it not be nice if they had a separate pvp section with NO ranking...just duel for the fun of it....I might try it then as the "ranking" wizards would not be interested since there was no advancement....but right now it is what it is.
There's practice PVP, as a non-member I sometimes try it out. However, I haven't done this in a while because the same attitudes are present there - not just competitors but spectators and why subject myself to those pathetic souls who boost their ego by slamming others?
Alternatively, you could PVP with friends at their house or yours, if you have an arena. This is likely to be more pleasant, since friends ( if they're really friends ) won't treat you like dirt.

Survivor
Dec 14, 2013
I am an older wizard and wear mismatched gear. I do so because I don't want to spend a lot of money on crowns.

We live in a superficial world, where appearances often matter more than reality.

Explorer
Jan 03, 2014
This is why I suggested they move PVP off to a solo game with no access to I from the base game. PVP should also be membership ONLY to keep out the free to play riff-raff and no gear or pets. PvP should be PvP. Both players the same exact level, same exact deck, no treasure cards, no gear boosts, nothing else.

PvP is a total waste of time.

As for the rudeness prevalent in the PvP arena, it isn't just found there. It is prevalent throughout the game in EVERY area and EVERY world. I have found that 80% of the people playing this game are pompous, rude, arrogant and on my ignored list (no jokes).

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
ghowriter on Sep 10, 2017 wrote:
This is why I suggested they move PVP off to a solo game with no access to I from the base game. PVP should also be membership ONLY to keep out the free to play riff-raff and no gear or pets. PvP should be PvP. Both players the same exact level, same exact deck, no treasure cards, no gear boosts, nothing else.

PvP is a total waste of time.

As for the rudeness prevalent in the PvP arena, it isn't just found there. It is prevalent throughout the game in EVERY area and EVERY world. I have found that 80% of the people playing this game are pompous, rude, arrogant and on my ignored list (no jokes).
80%? Wow, I do feel sorry that you seem to have a knack for finding the worst players.

I've found the reverse to be true. But then that could all be a matter of what time we play. I'm on in the mornings or late evenings during the week and mainly afternoons on the weekends.

Steven Ghoststalker

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I have some castles with PVP arenas but I've rarely used them. I still find PVP stressful. I am just not a competitive type of person. I do not get the point of PVP, to be blunt.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
SparkleTude on Sep 12, 2017 wrote:
I have some castles with PVP arenas but I've rarely used them. I still find PVP stressful. I am just not a competitive type of person. I do not get the point of PVP, to be blunt.
I can definitely agree with you. I prefer PvP with close friends.

Delver
Dec 18, 2011
First off i want to say im not defending anyone but i do understand why people are judgemental on gear stats, although how the gear looks is fine by me. If someone is trying to do darkmoor and they have waterworks gear or hades gear then people know that they are serious and will want to get the best gear and are more likely to finish the dungeon, whereas if the person has a mix of level 70 and 80 or 90 gear then they prob dont care much about getting the best gear and they cant survive as well in a hard dungeon. This means people dont want them on their team as they will have to heal them the whole time.

Dont get me wrong im not saying people have the right to be mean to these people but i can understand why they wouldnt want them on their team.

I personally wear darkmoor gear stitched to elegant styled gear and i think it looks quite cool, but i still think the normal darkmoor gear looks sweet. I also love how people like Zenmasterblue stitches his gear to look like each world (until recently). So i dont judge if people wear random gear, i just wouldnt want them on my team on a hard dungeon as they simply dont have the stats to stay alive easily in most cases.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
RYAN DEATHSTORM on Sep 14, 2017 wrote:
First off i want to say im not defending anyone but i do understand why people are judgemental on gear stats, although how the gear looks is fine by me. If someone is trying to do darkmoor and they have waterworks gear or hades gear then people know that they are serious and will want to get the best gear and are more likely to finish the dungeon, whereas if the person has a mix of level 70 and 80 or 90 gear then they prob dont care much about getting the best gear and they cant survive as well in a hard dungeon. This means people dont want them on their team as they will have to heal them the whole time.

Dont get me wrong im not saying people have the right to be mean to these people but i can understand why they wouldnt want them on their team.

I personally wear darkmoor gear stitched to elegant styled gear and i think it looks quite cool, but i still think the normal darkmoor gear looks sweet. I also love how people like Zenmasterblue stitches his gear to look like each world (until recently). So i dont judge if people wear random gear, i just wouldnt want them on my team on a hard dungeon as they simply dont have the stats to stay alive easily in most cases.
If those people are trying to get that gear, then they will have 10X the difficulty in getting it because of "gear snobs". And they may be just as dedicated as you, but haven't had the luck to get a good drop.
1. You can't get the good gear unless you farm.
2. You need a team up for many of the higher level dungeons
3. But you can't get the gear because "nobody" wants you on their team.
Don't you see whats wrong with what you've said in this post?
When I tried to do the last part of Darkmoor, I was rejected by a player like you. Then a team took a chance on me and helped me through most of it until the final battle when I was able to aid them with support and heals.
No player is absolutely "useless".
We're supposed to be a team - that means we help each other, even if they may not have the best gear and stats.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I backed out of a key room team up once (only after I got there), and told them why. They were all under Level 10. I was about Level 20 at the time, I think. I had answered it in hopes of exchanging my room key for someone with high enough stats to beat the boss in the room. Instead, all 3 other people who answered the team up were half my level, when I did not consider myself a high enough level to play that room; and all 3 other people had no room key.

We were all cool with it, and they understood that it would just be a waste of time and key, and if we didn't win no one would get drops anyway.

No one was mean about it so no one was upset about it.

In fact one of them stayed behind anyway and friended me, and then messaged me to say they had found a higher level, and if I'd still use my room key, he thought they could help us win. So that's how it ended up. Even then it took a long time to battle, because most of us were really not up to it.

As for how things look -- I enjoy trying to match my look to each world, because after all I'm there a long time. It is not only for 'looks' but for the roleplay aspect. I'm an 1800s person in Marleybone and a dinosaur in Azteca and a bug in Khrysalis. But as said before, I don't care at all what others wear. That's up to them.

Defender
Nov 24, 2012
RYAN DEATHSTORM on Sep 14, 2017 wrote:

I respect your informed opinion, and I understand what leads people to make judgements about certain players.

Like Anecorbie explained, players who do not posses the best stats in the game already have a hard time finding a team for dungeons. If such players are trying to do Darkmoor, it is most likely because they are making an effort to obtain the best gear in the game but fail to do so because of the lack of players willing to help. I've come across such players—players with average stats—, and I make an effort to help them; however, not everyone is willing to help. That often leads me and the other player alone in the dungeon. Players who have the hardest time finding a team are often children without text or open chat; they are unable to fully communicate with others, which just makes it even harder for them to find a team. It's completely up to you whether you choose to help these players; you'll never be forced to help them. What I stated is only another way of seeing things.

(I liked to mention that I never farmed for Wateworks or Hades gear; I did help friends with these dungeons but never with the intent of obtaining such gear myself. I wore whatever mobs and bosses dropped, and I did completely fine in PvE and in Darkmoor.)