Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wasted.

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Jun 01, 2009
I never thought I would complain about this, but in khrysalis, you are given too much experience. By the time you finish, you have wasted at least 2 levels worth of experience (an estimate) But all that experience is completely and utterly wasted, unless you decide to wait until the next update to complete the quests. If you ask me, the experience should either be lessened, or the requirement of experience to level up should be heightened.

-Jasmine Owltalon, level 95 myth

Defender
Mar 10, 2012
I am pretty sure there is more xp coming around in the next update.

Mastermind
Jun 01, 2009
MarvelDoctorDoom on Dec 15, 2013 wrote:
I am pretty sure there is more xp coming around in the next update.
... Just sayin', that has nothing to do with what I was talking about ...

Hero
Aug 23, 2009
I'm not understanding the problem, each world release always has tons of left over XP, I'm thankful KI gives enough for us to easily max out each time, unlike other games that make you fight tooth and nail to be underpowered and overwhelmed until the very end or not without exhaustive grinding. For some odd reason every time a world is released and there is ample XP it is somehow a problem, though I can't understand how as it isn't like KI leaves is out to dry; there's always enough to go around.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Omegagan on Dec 16, 2013 wrote:
I'm not understanding the problem, each world release always has tons of left over XP, I'm thankful KI gives enough for us to easily max out each time, unlike other games that make you fight tooth and nail to be underpowered and overwhelmed until the very end or not without exhaustive grinding. For some odd reason every time a world is released and there is ample XP it is somehow a problem, though I can't understand how as it isn't like KI leaves is out to dry; there's always enough to go around.
The problem is they give TOO much experience. There is no reason to max level halfway through just the storyline quests. That's assuming you start at 0 XP and lvl 90. There's no point in having 20 quests for XP if you only get XP for the first 10 because of the limits. They just need to balance out the calculations better. You reach lvl 95 doing NO side quests, starting 0 XP ant lvl 90, LONG before you get to the tower that gives you Shadow Magic that is supposedly lvl 92 minimum. That's just bad planning. The numbers should be sufficient to reach the limit, but not so excessive that you start to throw away all that XP when you're only halfway through the challenges. And why say Shadow is level 92 minimum if you HAVE to be level 95 to even get the quest?

Mastermind
Jun 01, 2009
seethe42 on Dec 16, 2013 wrote:
The problem is they give TOO much experience. There is no reason to max level halfway through just the storyline quests. That's assuming you start at 0 XP and lvl 90. There's no point in having 20 quests for XP if you only get XP for the first 10 because of the limits. They just need to balance out the calculations better. You reach lvl 95 doing NO side quests, starting 0 XP ant lvl 90, LONG before you get to the tower that gives you Shadow Magic that is supposedly lvl 92 minimum. That's just bad planning. The numbers should be sufficient to reach the limit, but not so excessive that you start to throw away all that XP when you're only halfway through the challenges. And why say Shadow is level 92 minimum if you HAVE to be level 95 to even get the quest?
Precisely.

Mastermind
Jun 01, 2009
In Azteca, not nearly as much xp was wasted. Actually i'm not sure any xp had to be wasted, I was doing side quests, so dunno. But in Khrysalis, I didn't do a single side quest, and yet I had tons of extra experience. It's just such a waste. A terrible waste of experience.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
I'm not seeing how that is a problem. You are going to reach max by the end of the world anyway. If you get it a little sooner, you can upgrade gear sooner. That's a win. Why complain about it?

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
MythWizardForeves on Dec 14, 2013 wrote:
I never thought I would complain about this, but in khrysalis, you are given too much experience. By the time you finish, you have wasted at least 2 levels worth of experience (an estimate) But all that experience is completely and utterly wasted, unless you decide to wait until the next update to complete the quests. If you ask me, the experience should either be lessened, or the requirement of experience to level up should be heightened.

I don't see what's wrong with this lol, It has always been like this in the past and hasn't effected anyone very negatively.

Explorer
Nov 11, 2012
seethe42 on Dec 16, 2013 wrote:
Actually You dont have to be max level to get the Shadow quest....its a main quest that doesnt happen until towards the end of the first part of Khy...and in general I dont really see the issue with xp every world they always boost up xp because the xp total to actually level up is high....and a lot of wiz leveled up to max so fast because of previous side quests they did from other worlds...I was level 93 when I got into Khy

Why do people think its a waste of xp??...You have to think that most wiz have reached the previous max level of 90 before the arc was even reached...the xp is fine as it is...why complain when they make the next level arc you are still going to be max level for each world until a new one is made....its been like that for a while so either stop and wait until the next part of the world comes out but no point of complaining about the xp.

Mastermind
Jun 01, 2009
Keena0823 on Dec 31, 2013 wrote:
Actually You dont have to be max level to get the Shadow quest....its a main quest that doesnt happen until towards the end of the first part of Khy...and in general I dont really see the issue with xp every world they always boost up xp because the xp total to actually level up is high....and a lot of wiz leveled up to max so fast because of previous side quests they did from other worlds...I was level 93 when I got into Khy

Why do people think its a waste of xp??...You have to think that most wiz have reached the previous max level of 90 before the arc was even reached...the xp is fine as it is...why complain when they make the next level arc you are still going to be max level for each world until a new one is made....its been like that for a while so either stop and wait until the next part of the world comes out but no point of complaining about the xp.
It hasn't been like that for a while, actually. Only for Azteca and Khyrsalis. In the past worlds you could start at the lowest level possible and do only the main quests and at the end you would either barely reach the level needed for the next world, or sometimes not even reach the level. I'm not even positive there's excess xp in Azteca. All I know is there's certainly more extra than in Avalon. (I did side quests in Azteca, dunno if you would reach 90 if you didn't do any.) However, in Khrysalis if you do 0 side quests you still receive double the experience you need. Even if you did wait until the next part of the world came out, I doubt that you would even finish the first half before maxing out again. It wasn't like this before. Before, you received barely enough experience to reach the level you need, and I was happy with that. Now it's just ridiculous. That much experience is definitely not needed. I'm sorry if in my annoyance I come across as rude. I just find that much excess xp as pointless.

Defender
Jan 31, 2010
I'm not seeing how this is a problem.... I maxed out before I finished Zafaria! And that was with sides... Without the sides I'm fairly certain I still would have maxed... Personally, I find it better to max out and finish the world than not maxing and finishing the world... Notice how the lowest level for Azteca was 80 and the max was 90? This is a pattern that is repeated with every new world... Plus at you max level, you really don't worry about how much XP your getting for a quest... Once I max, I more or less focus on the gold aspect of the rewards... Once I'm done with the world, I am looking forward to the next world instead of behind to previous worlds... So I really do not see how this is a problem...

Defender
Jan 31, 2010
Gemma Luna on Dec 17, 2013 wrote:
I'm not seeing how that is a problem. You are going to reach max by the end of the world anyway. If you get it a little sooner, you can upgrade gear sooner. That's a win. Why complain about it?
Exactly!

Survivor
Oct 14, 2012
I stopped turning in side quests in Azteca that way the experience is not "wasted". I did not know that this was the case, but it seemed pretty obvious that I would have at least 2 extra and possibly three extra levels when I left Azteca and I did. Just over Level 93 starting Khrysalis.
It might not be the ideal approach, but I don't think there is anyway for KingIsle to guess how much experience you are going to end up with after progressing through all those world. There are just too many variables such as how many times you go through a dungeon. How much you help others, and how many battles you do, since you gain experience for each battle.

Mastermind
Jun 01, 2009
TerrifiedSubject on Jan 4, 2014 wrote:
I stopped turning in side quests in Azteca that way the experience is not "wasted". I did not know that this was the case, but it seemed pretty obvious that I would have at least 2 extra and possibly three extra levels when I left Azteca and I did. Just over Level 93 starting Khrysalis.
It might not be the ideal approach, but I don't think there is anyway for KingIsle to guess how much experience you are going to end up with after progressing through all those world. There are just too many variables such as how many times you go through a dungeon. How much you help others, and how many battles you do, since you gain experience for each battle.
Yes, I'm pretty sure the reasons that you list are true with Azteca, however, it is much different in Khyrsalis. In Khrysalis, if you did every dungeon you need to only once, helped not a single person, received no experience for the battles, and did only the main quests, you would still receive enough experience for at least 2 more levels, if not more. I think KI could've at least added up the quest experience and seen if there would be much extra. Perhaps they did, and they wanted it to be like that. *sigh* Just seems like a waste to me.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Malorn AshThorn446 on Jan 3, 2014 wrote:
I'm not seeing how this is a problem.... I maxed out before I finished Zafaria! And that was with sides... Without the sides I'm fairly certain I still would have maxed... Personally, I find it better to max out and finish the world than not maxing and finishing the world... Notice how the lowest level for Azteca was 80 and the max was 90? This is a pattern that is repeated with every new world... Plus at you max level, you really don't worry about how much XP your getting for a quest... Once I max, I more or less focus on the gold aspect of the rewards... Once I'm done with the world, I am looking forward to the next world instead of behind to previous worlds... So I really do not see how this is a problem...
The problem is, you can be maxed out now when just starting Khrysalis. Players who finished Azteca before the cap was raised started at lvl 90 and 0 XP. There was lost XP in finishing Azteca and now more in Khrysalis. So players coming later to the game automatically will get higher and higher level with less work as it compounds with each new world. It's just an imbalance that should be corrected before it gets out of hand.

Survivor
Oct 14, 2012
Again I am coming back to a theme, it is impossible for KI to control that, since it all depends on how much xp you have gained throughout the game. The only way it can be controlled is if you as an individual stop turning in side quests, and maybe start that way before the level cap you can potentially reach. Especially if you are participating in other activities that gain xp but are not part of the story/quest line, such as farming for items, all of those activities gain xp, and add to your xp going toward the level cap.
The only way to solve this problem would be if KI does have a level cap but not a xp cap this would allow the gain of xp without leveling. Then when the next level cap is reached that xp applies, this might cause other problems idk.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
I don't mind this. I can enjoy questing for the sake of questing, rather than worry about doing extra grinds to get level.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
I also don't see any problem here. This whole idea of XP being wasted seems a bit silly to me, actually. We get enough XP in the game to reach our levels. That is good. So we can enjoy playing the game, doing the quests, following the storyline. There is no need to make a complaint out of being able to reach our levels, without having to do every side-quest available. As long as we are able to meet our next challenge and level of difficulty adequately, why fuss about whether or not every battle we are in adds to our XP total?

Mastermind
Jun 01, 2009
TerrifiedSubject on Jan 6, 2014 wrote:
Again I am coming back to a theme, it is impossible for KI to control that, since it all depends on how much xp you have gained throughout the game. The only way it can be controlled is if you as an individual stop turning in side quests, and maybe start that way before the level cap you can potentially reach. Especially if you are participating in other activities that gain xp but are not part of the story/quest line, such as farming for items, all of those activities gain xp, and add to your xp going toward the level cap.
The only way to solve this problem would be if KI does have a level cap but not a xp cap this would allow the gain of xp without leveling. Then when the next level cap is reached that xp applies, this might cause other problems idk.
I'm getting the feeling you didn't read my post that is currently 2 posts above yours. Look up, lol.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
FinnAgainWindrider on Jan 6, 2014 wrote:
I also don't see any problem here. This whole idea of XP being wasted seems a bit silly to me, actually. We get enough XP in the game to reach our levels. That is good. So we can enjoy playing the game, doing the quests, following the storyline. There is no need to make a complaint out of being able to reach our levels, without having to do every side-quest available. As long as we are able to meet our next challenge and level of difficulty adequately, why fuss about whether or not every battle we are in adds to our XP total?
It's a point of fairness really. It might not matter to wizards who only play a single wizard. Why should my Storm wizard who sailed through Azteca (skipping all side quests) just before Khrysalis start at level 90 when my Ice Wizard who waited and also skipped side quests starts at lvl 93? They both completed the exact same quests and trials. Shouldn't they both have the same rewards? This has only been an issue with Azteca and Khrysalis, but if it continues to escalate like this it becomes a real problem.

Historian
May 06, 2009
seethe42 on Jan 7, 2014 wrote:
It's a point of fairness really. It might not matter to wizards who only play a single wizard. Why should my Storm wizard who sailed through Azteca (skipping all side quests) just before Khrysalis start at level 90 when my Ice Wizard who waited and also skipped side quests starts at lvl 93? They both completed the exact same quests and trials. Shouldn't they both have the same rewards? This has only been an issue with Azteca and Khrysalis, but if it continues to escalate like this it becomes a real problem.
"It's a point of fairness really. Why should my Storm wizard who sailed through Azteca (skipping all side quests) just before Khrysalis start at level 90 when my Ice Wizard who waited and also skipped side quests starts at lvl 93?"
How is that a problem? I don't think or see this as fairness at all.

I have 7 players, 6 on a personal account, and 1 on another account. My highest player is Death, at Level 95 and all my others are Level 39 and below. My level 95 did a majority of side quests, side worlds, everything really. I plan to do the same for my other players over time. I know that because of all the updates that have come, all my other players will start worlds largely above level than where my Death wizard was. Is that a problem? Not at all. My Fire wizard was level 25 going into Wysteria, and came out at 28. Now he's Level 30 in Marleybone. This isn't stopping me from playing my players to the fullest.

I don't understand why all this Experience conscious behavior comes about. The only point of XP is to get you to the next level. That's it. It doesn't do anything else for you. KI gives us plenty of XP to get use to Max level, which is the whole point. I would rather be at Max level and have all this XP I don't need, than get all this XP and still be barely at max.
I would agree with other players above, there's no way KI can calculate getting to Max right at the end of a world. You have side worlds like Wintertusk and Wysteria that give you this massive amount XP at lower levels, dungeons people do over and over and then you have XP requirements reaching over 1 million. It's just easier to give enough XP so that the player can get to make level. If you want KI to decrease the XP in Azteca and Khrysalis or massively increase the mac experience requires at Level 50+, so be it. But I don't see this as anything worth complaining over as it doesn't halt gameplay.

The only major problem I could see with too much experience, is being at a high level, but not have access to an area you need for a spell. My Balance player was Level 38 starting MooShu, but isn't at Shiritaki Temple to get Spectral Minion, which is fine. It's happened to all my players, but it doesn't detour me from going along as I wish.

If I'm spending money on this game, I'm not going to stop playing because I hit max. I'll just continue onward, knowing that all this XP is just shaved ice off an ice statue; I don't need it. You can't collect all the XP this game has and I don't think it needs to be the most important thing to players as they play. If KI gives ample enough XP, why complain? The only solution I could that makes sense to this issue, is just have KI massively increase experience requirements from Level 50 or Level 80 all the way to 100. Otherwise, I think players should just continue the game at max level or not.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Cunning Finnigan S... on Jan 7, 2014 wrote:
"It's a point of fairness really. Why should my Storm wizard who sailed through Azteca (skipping all side quests) just before Khrysalis start at level 90 when my Ice Wizard who waited and also skipped side quests starts at lvl 93?"
How is that a problem? I don't think or see this as fairness at all.

I have 7 players, 6 on a personal account, and 1 on another account. My highest player is Death, at Level 95 and all my others are Level 39 and below. My level 95 did a majority of side quests, side worlds, everything really. I plan to do the same for my other players over time. I know that because of all the updates that have come, all my other players will start worlds largely above level than where my Death wizard was. Is that a problem? Not at all. My Fire wizard was level 25 going into Wysteria, and came out at 28. Now he's Level 30 in Marleybone. This isn't stopping me from playing my players to the fullest.

I don't understand why all this Experience conscious behavior comes about. The only point of XP is to get you to the next level. That's it. It doesn't do anything else for you. KI gives us plenty of XP to get use to Max level, which is the whole point. I would rather be at Max level and have all this XP I don't need, than get all this XP and still be barely at max.
I would agree with other players above, there's no way KI can calculate getting to Max right at the end of a world. You have side worlds like Wintertusk and Wysteria that give you this massive amount XP at lower levels, dungeons people do over and over and then you have XP requirements reaching over 1 million. It's just easier to give enough XP so that the player can get to make level. If you want KI to decrease the XP in Azteca and Khrysalis or massively increase the mac experience requires at Level 50+, so be it. But I don't see this as anything worth complaining over as it doesn't halt gameplay.

The only major problem I could see with too much experience, is being at a high level, but not have access to an area you need for a spell. My Balance player was Level 38 starting MooShu, but isn't at Shiritaki Temple to get Spectral Minion, which is fine. It's happened to all my players, but it doesn't detour me from going along as I wish.

If I'm spending money on this game, I'm not going to stop playing because I hit max. I'll just continue onward, knowing that all this XP is just shaved ice off an ice statue; I don't need it. You can't collect all the XP this game has and I don't think it needs to be the most important thing to players as they play. If KI gives ample enough XP, why complain? The only solution I could that makes sense to this issue, is just have KI massively increase experience requirements from Level 50 or Level 80 all the way to 100. Otherwise, I think players should just continue the game at max level or not.
"I would agree with other players above, there's no way KI can calculate getting to Max right at the end of a world. You have side worlds like Wintertusk and Wysteria that give you this massive amount XP at lower levels, dungeons people do over and over and then you have XP requirements reaching over 1 million."

Repeating dungeons doesn't give more XP after the second run, which only gives half. Side quests are just that SIDE QUESTS. Up through Zafaria, they were needed to reach the next world. I finished Dragonspyre at 45, had to level up. Finished Celestia at 57, had to level up. The point is, the XP shouldn't exceed the amount needed, and YES they CAN calculate it. When you finish a world starting at 0 XP and do NO side quests and still reach the point where you get Shadow Spells at level 95, the numbers are bad. Why make spells that are supposedly available at level 92 when it is numerically impossible to reach that stage before being level 95?

As for my point on fairness, if two players complete all the same tasks/quests they should both get the same XP. The way the system works right now, they don't.That is what is unfair about it. The XP counter should continue to tally quests above the limit and add them in when the limit is raised. I didn't stop doing the world over this, but wizards who do worlds later, after the limit is raised have it easier because they get free extra levels.

Historian
May 06, 2009
seethe42 on Jan 8, 2014 wrote:
"I would agree with other players above, there's no way KI can calculate getting to Max right at the end of a world. You have side worlds like Wintertusk and Wysteria that give you this massive amount XP at lower levels, dungeons people do over and over and then you have XP requirements reaching over 1 million."

Repeating dungeons doesn't give more XP after the second run, which only gives half. Side quests are just that SIDE QUESTS. Up through Zafaria, they were needed to reach the next world. I finished Dragonspyre at 45, had to level up. Finished Celestia at 57, had to level up. The point is, the XP shouldn't exceed the amount needed, and YES they CAN calculate it. When you finish a world starting at 0 XP and do NO side quests and still reach the point where you get Shadow Spells at level 95, the numbers are bad. Why make spells that are supposedly available at level 92 when it is numerically impossible to reach that stage before being level 95?

As for my point on fairness, if two players complete all the same tasks/quests they should both get the same XP. The way the system works right now, they don't.That is what is unfair about it. The XP counter should continue to tally quests above the limit and add them in when the limit is raised. I didn't stop doing the world over this, but wizards who do worlds later, after the limit is raised have it easier because they get free extra levels.
"Repeating dungeons doesn't give more XP after the second run, which only gives half."
When I say repeating dungeons, I'm refering to the fact that, you will collect XP points from battles. I understand after awhile, dungeon quests XP diminishes as you redo them, but you will still collect XP points from battles and those points do add up.

"Side quests are just that SIDE QUESTS. Up through Zafaria, they were needed to reach the next world. I finished Dragonspyre at 45, had to level up. Finished Celestia at 57, had to level up."
What you're decribing to me, seems like a complete hassle and unneeded. The main quest line should get you to the max level so you can go to the next area. It's reasons like this that would always annoy me because players who finished Dragonspyre are trying to beg higher level players to take them to high level dungeons to level themselves up. It wasn't everyone, but I saw a lot of it happen. I don't advocate this. All worlds should level you up to make it to get to the next part without needed to go back and redo side quests that could've done anyway or by other means. Side quests in my eyes should just be quests or more content left on the side so you can do them if you want, but should've become a hinderance to your play. You shouldn't have to do them to get to max.

"As for my point on fairness, if two players complete all the same tasks/quests they should both get the same XP. The way the system works right now, they don't.That is what is unfair about it."
If you play one Wizard all along the content updates, they are going to start at world lower than a Wizard you may have left behind. This is because you're first wizard was going through content in increments and had max level restrictions on each update. But when you start another player, months or years after that update, they are going to gain all those points, because the content is now connected in their experience, rather than just added to the game. If a 2014 players started this game now, they would get more experience than the person who started in 2008, because the 2014'ner's content is already there, while the 2008 player had to progress as new content was added. My Death player had to go Celestia, then stop, then came Zafaria, then stopped, then came Avalon, and stopped. But someone who comes in after all this, doesn't have to wait and gets to zip through Celestia to Zafaria to Avalon to Azteca to Khrysalis. I'm sorry if you find that unfair, but it's just how it goes.

If you want KI to make it so you get to Lvl 94 and you have to do side quests to go to Lvl 95, fine. If you want to be at Level 97 , at the end of Khrysalis Part 2 and have to do side quests to reach max,fine. As it would sound like, you want KI to equate side quests, which you don't have to do, into Max level factors, and make Wizards to side quests to reach max instead of the main story taking you to max and beyond. I find this to be a huge hassle because not everyone does side quests.

Historian
May 06, 2009
seethe42 on Jan 8, 2014 wrote:

"Why make spells that are supposedly available at level 92 when it is numerically impossible to reach that stage before being level 95?"
If that is the problem, why not ask KI to increase the Level requirement from Level 92 to Level 95? I'll be willing to compromise on Khrysalis' XP being heavily decreased so you finish Fort Rachias at or close to Level 95 (which is a complete stretch), but it's just not something I see being a huge factor. I've already suggested that to fix this problem, and what I find to be the simplist, is to increase XP point requirements significantly from Level 50-95. So at level 94 where you needed 900,000 to level to 95, it could be now 250,000,000. That's what I'm suggesting, if we are trying to find a solution at all.
If you want KI to just go through every world and severely decrease all the XP you gain to make room for side content XP, I just find this unnecessary. Players who start at different times of a game, are going to have different experiences as content is added. Again, a players who starts a game before the whole second arc started will collect XP in increments, while a player who starts after will gain more because all the content is there.

I think it's more practical to just leave this as is. The XP points have served their purpose by taking your wizard to max level. That's all they are meant for. I don't know where this need or feeling of "wasting" XP came about, but I think it needs to stop. XP is only for leveling up. You can't waste it if more is coming. That's why KI as increased the amount of XP in Azteca and Khrysalis and up. If you are to loose XP in those areas, more content will give you replacement XP. There will be plenty to go around. I don't see why this should be made into a big deal.

"I didn't stop doing the world over this, but wizards who do worlds later, after the limit is raised have it easier because they get free extra levels."
So if an amusement park adds new rides after you went there, you're going to call it unfair to all the riders who come when that new ride is placed in because they have access to another ride you didn't get to when you got there? That doesn't make sense to me. Players are going to come into KI's games at different times and KI can do absolutely nothing about that. Some players will even start raising levels at different times when KI adds new areas. KI has to stop at certain points to work on future projects and some players will reap the ability to do added content already mapped out. If we are discussing this, then I find it pointless. KI has to add to areas and some players will come after this. Are we really going to shoot an arrow to the knee on KI or those players? It's a small factor that can't be helped.