Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Tournaments Cost Crowns? This Won't End Well.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 18, 2013
Talon DragonBreake... on Jun 22, 2013 wrote:
Love the idea for tournaments; however hate that my friends and I MUST pay crowns to play. Personally KI needs to setup two type of tournaments: Gold Entry and Crown Entry.

Gold Entry
Everyone buys in for a fixed gold amount (ie 50,000). Prize pool is as follows: 1st Place 60% of the total buy-in, 2nd Place is 25%, and 3rd place is 15%. So everyone with a subscription can enjoy tournaments

Crown Entry
Just the way you have it.
I think its graet Idea. It also seperates the crown users who buy rediculous armor from the non crown users so everybody has a fair chance

Survivor
Jun 20, 2010
cost of tourney should go up with level of wizard, 90's pay full price, level 10-20 free, 21-30 20% etc
otherwise you price out all the new guys

Survivor
Apr 22, 2012
Money.. That's all this game is about....
I spent a lot of money on crowns over the past year. I think it's outrageous to charge members who already pay enough money to join tournaments. I bet my opinion doesn't matter, but its just gone too far with the crowns and marketing. To be frank, I think everyone who is a member who pays and pays so much for a virtual game that's not real and can't get a simple feature like tournaments can't get it for free is just so cruel. I think that if Kings Isle still wants to get their money, they should let members play one tournament per day. Then after that, they can charge us, if they still want their money (of course, they will, lol) Really, members should have it completely free, or at least pay with gold! Non-members should be charged. Kings Isle, not everyone can spend all their money on virtual currency :(! Overall, Kings Isle is really letting me down. It's true. I'm planning to quit Wizard101 actually, and I am still very disappointed about the tournament thing, but my feelings probably don't matter anyway.. xD Will anybody's? I'm guessing no.. but that's the way Kings Isle is..............

*sigh*
~Jenna, the ice wizard

Survivor
Jun 28, 2012
i would also agree. but it would be nice if they let us have a trial in the tournament for only one time to see how it is.

Survivor
Mar 07, 2013
Mr Talon on Jun 19, 2013 wrote:
Or perhaps two kinds of tournaments. Just as there is Ranked and Practice PVP, maybe have two types of tournaments. One with no rewards and free to join, and the other with high rewards that cost crowns to join. That way everyone can participate in a tournament and as Tyler Durden would say.... You decide your own level of involvement.
I So agree. Great Idea

Survivor
Sep 07, 2012
Why do you have to use crowns?!

Explorer
Jun 20, 2013
I've always wanted the Coat of Invincibility and now it's even harder to get. I know a lot of people feel the same way. We have enough stuff that cost crowns. Why PVP? It's unfair and doesn't make any sense.

Survivor
Jan 27, 2010
Talon DragonBreake... on Jun 22, 2013 wrote:
Love the idea for tournaments; however hate that my friends and I MUST pay crowns to play. Personally KI needs to setup two type of tournaments: Gold Entry and Crown Entry.

Gold Entry
Everyone buys in for a fixed gold amount (ie 50,000). Prize pool is as follows: 1st Place 60% of the total buy-in, 2nd Place is 25%, and 3rd place is 15%. So everyone with a subscription can enjoy tournaments

Crown Entry
Just the way you have it.
Well then if the winners got that much gold they would probably max out their gold and not get all of their winnings. Maybe other solutions are available.

Blaze StormStone 90

Survivor
Oct 13, 2010
The rewards for 500 crowns are phenominal. Not only can you get crown items/pets, I lost all 4 matches on my life wizard in a tournament and got 680 arena tickets. If you ask me an exchange of 500 crowns for 680 arena ticket's is in no way a bad deal.

Survivor
Jul 19, 2009
Why would tournaments have to cost crowns wth KI its bad enough that i had to get a membership that took me a long time to work for.
Level 78: JeffreyRavenBlade

Survivor
Jan 24, 2010
Aurora Griffin on Jun 19, 2013 wrote:
I never really cared for PvP anyway and don't usually bother much with it.

But if I needed any incentive to be discouraged to bother with Tournaments, the Crown cost is it. ... Sorry, but I can think of better things to waste my monthly Crown allowance on.

I know, I know, if I don't like it, I shouldn't worry about it. Well. Don't worry, I won't. I just thought I'd toss in my two cents on the concept and say that it's a waste of Crowns.

I usually spend my Crowns on things that I can keep forever, like mounts, for example. Or if I do use them for intangible things, Henchmen in an emergency -- and only in I tried to beat a boss first without.

I seriously do not see the idea of Tournaments costing Crowns to be a good idea that will really get off of the ground, except with players and users that are pretty much rich in RL.
i agree with you no one will actually spend crowns because we dont want to spend them on tournaments

Survivor
Jan 02, 2012
Yes, I would rather tourneys be free, but they aren't and never will be. I never hear anyone say ill just play ranked instead because I don't have crowns, it's always off to the message boards to complain about how not everything in this game is free. Tourneys are for people who are serious about pvp, and people who are serious about Pvp would rather spend 500 crowns on a tourney than a henchman. It's all about what you enjoy in this game and how you want to spend your crowns. I don't pay the crowns hoping to get something worth my money, I pay it simply to enjoy competing for something more than just having the highest rank.

Champion
Jun 16, 2009
Why do people EVEN like pvp anyway?

Former Wizard101 player myself, personally.

PVP Is just something you can do, not be a fancy-scmancy pants.

I don't even see a POINT in tournaments.

People are just going to use ranked pvp and have a person count out who's next.

I mean 500 crowns is pretty cheap, but yet KI should make a price for it in the "choosing crowns" side.

-Wolf
Former Wizard101 Player, not playing anymore. I will be floating on the message boards.~
Level 64

Survivor
Aug 21, 2012
It's fairly clever what KI did, actually. They have put out new PVP gear with high armor pierce, and priced it at a ticket level (thousands per item) that would take months to get by playing ranked matches. So instead, they award an insane amount of tickets if you play in tournaments that cost crowns, and you can have a full set of the newest, latest and greatest PVP gear in no time.

The hardcore PVP'ers will play these tournaments for the tickets alone, until they have enough to get their new gear, and then I suspect they will quit playing them and go back to ranked matches. At that point, KI will be forced to decide what to do about the ridiculous entry fee for tournaments.

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
I agree. I think for members they have a option to pay 30,000 gold as a entry and the crowns price will be knocked down to 125 if not free. Non-members should get it knocked down to 399.
-Jasmine FireBlade, level 86 pyromancer.

Survivor
Feb 02, 2013
I hate that i'm a member and i have to waste money on crowns just for a single tourney. What happened to the free family game this is just outrageous. I think there should be a high price of gold and crowns should be as they are right now.
Isabella firegem

Explorer
Apr 01, 2011
Spending money for a membership is bad enough. Why should we have to waste more money on crowns for tournaments? Just the idea that they demand more money out of the pockets of members makes me very annoyed ! I feel a little better knowing that free to play players have to pay more than members do though.

Rebecca Bright Level 87

Survivor
Nov 30, 2011
The thing about tournaments is paying with crowns. If you pay crowns, but you dont get matched, you get a free credit. Here's the thing though. If you get a free credit, you're really getting nothing. You payed for something you didnt get to do. Getting a free credit would really just redeem the fact that you already paid crowns. So really you're getting nothing. I think it should at least move you up in a tournament. Cause after all, if you join a tournament without a friend, it says before you get matched, "the teams may be unfair".

Defender
Apr 22, 2012
I think that it should cost crowns for NON-MEMBERS only. With me, my mom says either crowns OR membership, on a rare occasion I get crowns, and I use those for pve gear. It is unfair for membership payers to have to pay for tournements, so I sill have not competed in one :(

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
DANEgerus on Jun 22, 2013 wrote:
cost of tourney should go up with level of wizard, 90's pay full price, level 10-20 free, 21-30 20% etc
otherwise you price out all the new guys
This doesn't work.

A lot of pvp warlords are level 16 and below.

People are already complaining about how pvp players deliberately underlevel so they can squeak into a low level bracket and still have several additional train points, full set of commander gear, and perfect pets.

They also complain about the puppeting, which is hard enough to control in single matches, let alone tracing it through an entire tournament.

Giving low level wizards a steep discount will skew more and more pvp warlord activity into the lower levels. This would defeat the purpose of having a discount for low levels - to encourage younger players or newbies to enter tournaments.

I totally agree with separating amateur and expert ladders and tournaments.

Amateur - gold to enter, lower level of prizes (mostly just slightly more arena tix per tournament match than you get for regular match)
Expert - 500 crowns to enter, higher level of prizes (drops, high payoff of tix, promo items that cost a lot of tix)

Survivor
Dec 23, 2012
A Balanced Life on Jun 19, 2013 wrote:
I see where you're going, but Kingsisle is basically only charging us 500 crowns for crowns items that are very valuable, just to be good at pvp. You can get mounts, pets, trophies, most of these things cost crowns to buy. This is a good deal, and I want to keep it this way.
I can't buy crowns because my parents say membership is enough money and I agree. KI, please make tournaments free and for everyone. Otherwise, free and exclusive to members. Just make it free!

Daniel Moonthisle, pyromancer:, lvl. 20.

Defender
Feb 16, 2010
i have an idea...... just not do it at all -_- its that simple.

-jack skullbreeze master of fire

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
Kane Soulblood on Jun 24, 2013 wrote:
It's fairly clever what KI did, actually. They have put out new PVP gear with high armor pierce, and priced it at a ticket level (thousands per item) that would take months to get by playing ranked matches. So instead, they award an insane amount of tickets if you play in tournaments that cost crowns, and you can have a full set of the newest, latest and greatest PVP gear in no time.

The hardcore PVP'ers will play these tournaments for the tickets alone, until they have enough to get their new gear, and then I suspect they will quit playing them and go back to ranked matches. At that point, KI will be forced to decide what to do about the ridiculous entry fee for tournaments.
The new tournament gear, except for the rings and athames, is bad. Little or no block. No resist. Low critical. Not good for a defensive or offensive strategy. At low levels, commander and glendemming gear are better. At higher levels, crafted gear is better.

Survivor
May 04, 2009

But if I needed any incentive to be discouraged to bother with Tournaments, the Crown cost is it. ... Sorry, but I can think of better things to waste my monthly Crown allowance on.

I know, I know, if I don't like it, I shouldn't worry about it. Well. Don't worry, I won't. I just thought I'd toss in my two cents on the concept and say that it's a waste of Crowns.

I usually spend my Crowns on things that I can keep forever, like mounts, for example. Or if I do use them for intangible things, Henchmen in an emergency -- and only in I tried to beat a boss first without.

I seriously do not see the idea of Tournaments costing Crowns to be a good idea that will really get off of the ground, except with players and users that are pretty much rich in RL.
I see your point in that I usually don't even care for PvP, but there is a vendor, and there are some mounts, and some other things that I so desperately, am willing to do the work and earn them. Though, i only get a small amount after each duel, it would take forever. But the tournaments give a good amount, and i was excited for them! :D ( i actually leveled up a few times and practiced to be good :/)

Finding out they cost 499 each duel, was really upsetting. I read an idea about members could be free to tournaments, and and nons could pay ( especially since i have been a paying member for over a year now) I could see a point in that. Anyhow, i will either have to waste money on crowns, and power my way through, or just waste two months getting around 10,000 arena tickets. As you said, this probably won't end well.

Vanessa IceBreeze

Champion
Aug 20, 2010

Wait, you get crowns monthly? I don't think there is anything wrong with tournaments, in fact if I didn't just spend 3 thousand crowns on keeper's lore pack, I would participate for the first time. It's okay if you don't like tournaments, I just wanted to say I would spend them on this rather than feed my addiction of opening packs.