Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Glitches and Exploits

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 27, 2010
I was just wondering, Me and my wife were in Azteca the other day, fighting the Quetzals and another player jumped into the combat circle. No problem with that. I did however notice that his health was at 1600. 1600 health and he was in Azteca? I mentioned to him that with his health at such a low level, He probably shouldn't be in Azteca for the main fact that he wouldn't survive very long. I was polite about it. Well, Me and the wife went to turn in a quest and he sent me a private message a few seconds later that stated, "My friend glitched the game for me so I could do Azteca quests." The players friend wasn't anywhere around and it was just him. That led me to believe that he was a really low level and didn't play thru the worlds to access Azteca. I did report him, but then I got to thinking and wondering, Is taking advantage of a glitch in the game for personal profit against the ToS? Any other MMORPG that I have ever played, Taking advantage of a Glitch or Exploit was against the rules and I wanted to make sure that I did the right thing.

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
Hunter Firethorn on Sep 3, 2013 wrote:
I was just wondering, Me and my wife were in Azteca the other day, fighting the Quetzals and another player jumped into the combat circle. No problem with that. I did however notice that his health was at 1600. 1600 health and he was in Azteca? I mentioned to him that with his health at such a low level, He probably shouldn't be in Azteca for the main fact that he wouldn't survive very long. I was polite about it. Well, Me and the wife went to turn in a quest and he sent me a private message a few seconds later that stated, "My friend glitched the game for me so I could do Azteca quests." The players friend wasn't anywhere around and it was just him. That led me to believe that he was a really low level and didn't play thru the worlds to access Azteca. I did report him, but then I got to thinking and wondering, Is taking advantage of a glitch in the game for personal profit against the ToS? Any other MMORPG that I have ever played, Taking advantage of a Glitch or Exploit was against the rules and I wanted to make sure that I did the right thing.
You definitely did the right thing. KI does not tolerate exploits. Maybe this will help:

"At Wizard 101, we do not tolerate harassment or the use of exploits either in game or on our website. If you are caught using an exploit or you harrass another player, KingsIsle reserves the right to take appropriate action against your account up to and including permanently suspending your Wizard101 account.

If you are harassed or witness harassment, please click on the character commiting the offense and hit the report button at the bottom of the list that appears.

If you witness an exploit while in-game, please click "Help" on our homepage and notify Customer Support through the "Contact Us" tab located on the Knowledge Base."

That information came from the Customer Support section on their website. Under "Player Misconduct", "Exploits..."

https://www.wizard101.com/CustomerSupport/game

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
What may have happened is, this person ported to a friend in AZ and marked the spot for future use. It is possible once there you can pick up side quests but no main quest line ones.

In the end all this wizard is is a burden on the wizards questing in the area and I find this behavior to be very rude and have actually fled, held back casting to defeat monsters causing them to be defeated etc. to avoid promoting this type of game play and being their pawn.

Nothing good will come from this since they will not level their wizard properly in the game, get frustrated and eventually quit. These are not wizards interested in the game just what they can cheat it out of. No one is earning unearned experience on my dime. I have worked the right way, very hard, to get my wizards where they are.

On the reporting though, I am not sure this is a reportable offense but if you don't make many false reports you should will be fine.

Explorer
May 17, 2010
AluraMist2 on Sep 4, 2013 wrote:
You definitely did the right thing. KI does not tolerate exploits. Maybe this will help:

"At Wizard 101, we do not tolerate harassment or the use of exploits either in game or on our website. If you are caught using an exploit or you harrass another player, KingsIsle reserves the right to take appropriate action against your account up to and including permanently suspending your Wizard101 account.

If you are harassed or witness harassment, please click on the character commiting the offense and hit the report button at the bottom of the list that appears.

If you witness an exploit while in-game, please click "Help" on our homepage and notify Customer Support through the "Contact Us" tab located on the Knowledge Base."

That information came from the Customer Support section on their website. Under "Player Misconduct", "Exploits..."

https://www.wizard101.com/CustomerSupport/game
This brings up a question of what is an "exploit". There are many things in W101 that can be done to circumvent the 'intended' flow, but are they "exploits"? For example in this case I agree that it sounds like that char ported to a friend, but that is clearly an allowed action even though it does circumvent the intended flow. What about some fights in some dungeons where you can send a single char into the next room alone to start the battle and attract only 2 enemies and then have the rest of the party come into the room after the battle started and join so they can fight 2 instead of 3 or 4 enemies? Again, not intended way it should work, but is that an 'exploit' or a strategy within the bounds of how the game works? How about in Waterworks when you could go in, out , and back into a room, start the fight and then it would end after 1 round (this bug was fixed a while ago)? I would say that was certainly a bug and not intended how it should work (and hence fixed), but at that time couldn't one consider it to be just a strategic play based on how the game is designed/works?
I would love to hear other opinions on this and other examples for us to chime in on.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
I suspect that what Northlite posted is closer to what actually happened. Lower level players that con't want to actually follow the stroyline, will port to friends in higher level worlds hoping to Power level. This is something KI has tried to prevent from happening since it is not how the developers intended the game to be played.

Even though some are still finding ways to level up, they won't be able to pick any of the main storyline quests without going back to their original location. My guess from the health you state this player had, he/she was probably questing in Krok originally.

There have been many threads asking KI to fix the game to prevent lower levels from porting to the higher worlds. To date, only a few dungeons have been made no port unless the other player has the quest for it or has already done it. As for Mob battles, unfortunately, those are still open to anyone wanting to join the battle and many don't ask to join, They just join. Even Mob or side quests should not be available to anyone that has not earned the right to be there.

There are some glitches that will get a player/s banned if they don't report it to KI immediately but do continue to use it.

If your report to KI was in regards to his comment about a friend glitching the game for him, KI may actually check into it but in all reality, it could also be considered a false report.

Most players in this game will report a glitch as soon as it is discovered and KI does try very hard to get them fixed as quickly as they can. If this player did have a friend do something to the game, he has just lost it. KI does not tolerate anyone tampering with the game mechanics in any way to give any player an advantage that is not already in the game by their design.