Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

So now Pet Training and feeding is a waste?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 12, 2011
Why bother taking time to select certain snacks to feed my pets, to get them to learn certain things I need them for in battle, if wizard101 is just going to control what they can or can not do?

I feed them, then Train them in battle to learn certain healing spells, they seemed to respond to what I do when I wanted them to do it. Now you have turned off the sprite if at full health.

Just another disappointment in this game. ( On top of many other changes over the past 3 years, not for the best. ) Why is it that if things are going good, they get changed to make the game less fun and harder?

My pets would cast the sprite ( while I was at full health ) depending on what I was going to cast.
Now they do not respond to what they had learned and I die in very simple battles, while trying to help others stay alive. I die every time because my pets no longer sprite if I have full health and the monsters hit me first, while I cast Sprite spells on my lower health team mates. ( who by the way, say "I do not need healing I have full health" until the monster hits them the very next turn ( Frog us all ) and cuts their health in half. Then it is "Ty Ty Ty".

Maybe I guess this game promotes the "Me First" and "Forget you" team tactics. ( Not good if you ask me )

So my questions are:

1.) why bother feeding pets snacks and training them in battle, when we no longer have any control on how they are going to respond?

2.) Why not just feed them a bunch of junk items to hurry and level them up and just get whatever wizard101 assigns them as their only talents?

Thank you for your time,
a very sad.
Sophia Dragonheart ( Used to be healer )

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
What you feed a pet has never been a factor on what talents they receive or how often they cast a spell. It is all random.

As for the sprite not casting when full health...I have no problem with this. My pets still cast spritely. In a way I welcome this small change. One time, I was part of a group in xibabla. Our pets cast spritely repeatedly even though we did not need the healing. At one time three of us had seven sprites circling us. Because of this, our battle took twice as long as it should have, which could be the reason behind this change.

In battle, you should never rely solely on your pet for healing. It is best to have regular heals because the pet MAY cast sprite or it MAY NOT cast. I prefer not to rely on something that is random and I cannot control.

Mastermind
Oct 15, 2010
Hannah Lifebringer on Aug 4, 2013 wrote:
What you feed a pet has never been a factor on what talents they receive or how often they cast a spell. It is all random.

As for the sprite not casting when full health...I have no problem with this. My pets still cast spritely. In a way I welcome this small change. One time, I was part of a group in xibabla. Our pets cast spritely repeatedly even though we did not need the healing. At one time three of us had seven sprites circling us. Because of this, our battle took twice as long as it should have, which could be the reason behind this change.

In battle, you should never rely solely on your pet for healing. It is best to have regular heals because the pet MAY cast sprite or it MAY NOT cast. I prefer not to rely on something that is random and I cannot control.
^^ read this.

The snacks you feed your pet and "training" it in battle have absolutely no effect on the casting rate or the talents it gets.

Survivor
Apr 12, 2011
Hannah Lifebringer on Aug 4, 2013 wrote:

Where Hannah says: "What you feed your pet"

If this were true, then all my pets would have random Talents when fed identical foods.

Sorry this is not the case. The talents my pets ( which are different types of Pets ) achieve are identical due to what they have been fed and how they are trained in battle.

I can take the exact same pet and feed it totally different foods and its talents will be different.
So sorry, Snacks matter.
( if not, do not bother with snacks, feed your pets junk clothes ) You will get whatever the basic talents are for your pet. I choose to work with and on my pets.

I do not rely on my pets to heal me, as I said, I am a healer, But it was nice to know that my pets would respond, depending on what I do in battle, and it was not just a random act.

And even if you believe it is just random, That was still better then the pet just shutting down.

And how fair is it that monsters can still cast sprites and unicorn, when they are full health right before I go to hit them and my pets cant?

Or that, other wizards pets can cast over and over fairy while they are at full health?

What was the problem with our pets casting a health spell, that it is now made to be a non-working pet?

I wish the person who shut them off would respond to my questions, and not people who just think they know what the answer or reason is.

Thank you for your time.
Sophia Dragonheart

Survivor
Jul 08, 2009
Um, exactly how do you train them in battle to learn certain spells?

Defender
Sep 19, 2010
Sophia Dragonheart on Aug 5, 2013 wrote:

If this were true, then all my pets would have random Talents when fed identical foods.

Sorry this is not the case. The talents my pets ( which are different types of Pets ) achieve are identical due to what they have been fed and how they are trained in battle.

I can take the exact same pet and feed it totally different foods and its talents will be different.
So sorry, Snacks matter.
( if not, do not bother with snacks, feed your pets junk clothes ) You will get whatever the basic talents are for your pet. I choose to work with and on my pets.

I do not rely on my pets to heal me, as I said, I am a healer, But it was nice to know that my pets would respond, depending on what I do in battle, and it was not just a random act.

And even if you believe it is just random, That was still better then the pet just shutting down.

And how fair is it that monsters can still cast sprites and unicorn, when they are full health right before I go to hit them and my pets cant?

Or that, other wizards pets can cast over and over fairy while they are at full health?

What was the problem with our pets casting a health spell, that it is now made to be a non-working pet?

I wish the person who shut them off would respond to my questions, and not people who just think they know what the answer or reason is.

Thank you for your time.
Sophia Dragonheart
After the first manifest of a talent, it shows up more often. Some people may argue against this, but I've been stuck with spritely in every single pet I've trained for the past year; feed pets whatever the heck you want, because chance's are they will get something they have gotten before.

You don't train pets in battle.

I use whatever snack I happen to have, have gotten a spritely quad resist for the last dozen tries now. Doesn't really matter how you feed it.

May cast means may cast; purely random. Kingsisle has said this in some other threads, look at some locked ones, they usually end with "May casts are random".

It doesn't cast when it doesn't effect that much, not "Shutting Down".

Most monsters don't cast random sprites and unicorns, and the unicorn really doesn't help them at full anyway.

Fairy is a better talent to apply this update to, since it doesn't have an overtime effect.

Still works, just not when its worthless.

Well we do know the answers and reasons, and Kingsisle has better things to do than repeat themselves over and over about why they do things.

I just donated a minute of my time, you're very welcome.
Mason Shadowwraith

Mastermind
Feb 06, 2010
It's totally random, it might not have cast sprite at full health and plus it made PvP balanced (Except for those darn puppets) and PvE faster. Whoever said pet training is a waste just because of one little pet talent? Besides now I can successfully infect when my opponent is at full health and they can too. Plus how do you train them in battle? There are certain triggers and I'm positive it has been tested. Plus bosses can cheat. Because we beat them when they have more health they added cheats for the bosses. It's just how it is. Plus all talents are pre-decided at birth.
My answer to your question.

Survivor
Apr 05, 2013
wow, you seem quite confused.

First off, the only thing snacks effect is the experience gained. they have no effect whatsoever on talents. What I think happened is that you made false assumptions off a very small sample group. There is, however, strong evidence (more than one set of data) to support "genes" in pets, ie pets from the same lineage developing the same talents. for example, my onyx shenlongs usually develop healing current early in their development.

I guess the moral of the story is not to make assumptions, or you will start making topics like this

ps: how do you train pets in battle

Survivor
Jul 08, 2009
whatsup76 on Aug 8, 2013 wrote:
wow, you seem quite confused.

First off, the only thing snacks effect is the experience gained. they have no effect whatsoever on talents. What I think happened is that you made false assumptions off a very small sample group. There is, however, strong evidence (more than one set of data) to support "genes" in pets, ie pets from the same lineage developing the same talents. for example, my onyx shenlongs usually develop healing current early in their development.

I guess the moral of the story is not to make assumptions, or you will start making topics like this

ps: how do you train pets in battle
I'm not sure if you were teasing or not with asking how do you train pets in battle. Since I have tons of pets with pretty much every talent mix (I'm a perfect pet addict lol) I'd sure like to know how to do this. While from everything I've read or experienced I don't think it is possible, I'm curious as to the OP's thought process behind it. :)

And I agree with you about the talents and the 'gene pool'. Trust me, I've hatched and trained hundreds of times and whatsup76 is absolutely right.

Explorer
Jun 05, 2011
Well, there's more than just Sprite for healing. These talents are difficult to get, yes. But it'll benefit in the long run. There is Unicorn, Healing Current and Fairy. Those haven't been nerfed like Spritely.

Survivor
Aug 03, 2009

So sorry, Snacks matter.

Thank you for your time.
Sophia Dragonheart
I'm sorry but feeing you pet certain snacks has absolutely no effect on what it gets. I feed all of my pets random stuff and pretty much every single on of them continues the end up with spiratly and accuracy. The snacks have absolutely no effect, your pets talents are decided when it is hatched and there is no way to change that.

Survivor
May 21, 2013
Sophia Dragonheart on Aug 3, 2013 wrote:
Why bother taking time to select certain snacks to feed my pets, to get them to learn certain things I need them for in battle, if wizard101 is just going to control what they can or can not do?

I feed them, then Train them in battle to learn certain healing spells, they seemed to respond to what I do when I wanted them to do it. Now you have turned off the sprite if at full health.

Just another disappointment in this game. ( On top of many other changes over the past 3 years, not for the best. ) Why is it that if things are going good, they get changed to make the game less fun and harder?

My pets would cast the sprite ( while I was at full health ) depending on what I was going to cast.
Now they do not respond to what they had learned and I die in very simple battles, while trying to help others stay alive. I die every time because my pets no longer sprite if I have full health and the monsters hit me first, while I cast Sprite spells on my lower health team mates. ( who by the way, say "I do not need healing I have full health" until the monster hits them the very next turn ( Frog us all ) and cuts their health in half. Then it is "Ty Ty Ty".

Maybe I guess this game promotes the "Me First" and "Forget you" team tactics. ( Not good if you ask me )

So my questions are:

1.) why bother feeding pets snacks and training them in battle, when we no longer have any control on how they are going to respond?

2.) Why not just feed them a bunch of junk items to hurry and level them up and just get whatever wizard101 assigns them as their only talents?

Thank you for your time,
a very sad.
Sophia Dragonheart ( Used to be healer )
What you feed your pet is so totally a myth!!! The talents you get depends on hatching with other pets! I have too pets a forest lord and rain beetle that have basically same talents. I hatched with a friend and got rain beetle his talents was sprite, unicorn, life bat, balance blade, and spell proof. After feeding and yes feed high mega snacks that was just random i still got four out of five talents as sophie my friends rain beetle. The talents are already set to learn when hatched. So you use diffferent pets etc to get exact talents you want. And also feeding certain foods for example feeding pets life food will not make it cast healing spells more that is totally random.

So sorry to correct you but you need to experiment more to get that right info..

Jasmine Dragonrider

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
Echoing what half a dozen people here have already said.

Your pet's eventual talents are already decided at birth. You just "discover" them through leveling up your pet, using whatever snacks give your pet xp.

Spritely still works, it's just that you will be taking a little damage first before your pet might have a chance to cast it.

So if it's important to you to have a healing aura before you take damage, you must use sprite in your deck or sideboard.

Pets do not learn anything in battle. Only through training and feeding pets in the Pet Pavilion will your pet make progress towards one of his five predetermined talents.

Survivor
Apr 12, 2011
Just a quick "Thank You" for having Fixed the problem :)

Thank you
Sophia DragonHeart

Oh and for those of you Looking for the "How to Train Pet to sprite." in battle...
that was covered on a different board topic. And I am still right, it does matter not only what you feed your pet, but how you train it in battle, to teach it talents not basic to that pet.

Let me be clear as to what I mean:
Feeding is Feeding and Training is totally done away from that Pet feeding center, it is in battles.

Also, I was not talking about any hatched pets..

I am talking about first generation pets that I have gotten from drops.. pets that my friends said, "That pet will never learn to do that." it does not have that talent. Well, sorry I proved them wrong. :)

P.S. I am the happy owner of a first Generation dog that Unicorns. <--- It is Not a hatched pet.

Mastermind
Oct 15, 2010
Sophia Dragonheart on Sep 21, 2013 wrote:
Just a quick "Thank You" for having Fixed the problem :)

Thank you
Sophia DragonHeart

Oh and for those of you Looking for the "How to Train Pet to sprite." in battle...
that was covered on a different board topic. And I am still right, it does matter not only what you feed your pet, but how you train it in battle, to teach it talents not basic to that pet.

Let me be clear as to what I mean:
Feeding is Feeding and Training is totally done away from that Pet feeding center, it is in battles.

Also, I was not talking about any hatched pets..

I am talking about first generation pets that I have gotten from drops.. pets that my friends said, "That pet will never learn to do that." it does not have that talent. Well, sorry I proved them wrong. :)

P.S. I am the happy owner of a first Generation dog that Unicorns. <--- It is Not a hatched pet.
That "dog" happened to have Unicorn in its first generation pool. you sound really really really confused though...

Survivor
May 17, 2012
to be honest i just feed my pets junk that helps them level up i dont care what they like and don't like

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
All the talents on your pet are set when it hatches. If it is a dropped or bought pet, they are from a preset list for that specific pet. If it is a hatched pet, they will be from the pool of talents of both parents, chosen by chance.

Nothing you do after the pet hatches can change what talents it has. Snacks, games, or what you do in battle don't matter at all. You get the talents you want by hatching with pets that have those talents, training, and often hatching again until they come up.

Survivor
Nov 23, 2011

So sorry, Snacks matter.

Thank you for your time.
Sophia Dragonheart
The problem with you is that you need to do stuff yourself, your pet can't take care of the healing for you. A pet is a friend not a slave, so use it as one. And for the pet feeding stuff when a pet is born it's talents are already there, you just got to train it to get it unhidden. It does not matter what you feed your pet. You could feed it a snack something to help resist and get mana gift.