Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Which is greater - challenge or fun?

AuthorMessage
Archon
Sep 17, 2012
FinnAgainWindrider on Nov 7, 2013 wrote:
Belgrim, I quoted your second post, because it was the most recent. But as for the character attack, you know full well I was referring to your first statement, which said I was posting merely to try to stoke up a hot topic. (see your post Nov 5, 8:41am). There is no "truth" in that statement, merely a character attack.

That not only I took your comment that way, but several other people also posted to that effect, belies your comments here.

As far as your saying it is a duplicate and not useful, that is your opinion, not the "truth." And I might add, it does not "hurt" -- it is just inconsiderate and "not helpful."

So do you have anything helpful to add to this topic, that would actually move the conversation toward a solution?
Sorry but you're just as guilty of it, that entire post had nothing to do with the thread as was totally personal, off-topic and completely not helpful.

Fun vs Challenge is not a either or as you like to put it. For it to be fun it has to have a challenge, otherwise you might as well play tic-tac-toe by yourself and consider the time passing as "fun". I agree that challenge needs to be appropriate to satisfy the largest median group. The problem is that it's NOT. With Azteca they made it harder for everyone so the "It's too hard" group had no fun. Now they made the new test world with weak Avalon,Azteca and Khrysalis that are all easier than Zafaria, so the "It needs a challenge" group isn't having fun. They need to stop the drastic changes from one spectrum to the other and find middle ground.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Challenge is needed in any game but when it overpowers fun and enjoyment, it has gone too far.

I have 12 wizards spread out all over the spiral and have completed Az with only 1. WHY? Because it is no longer FUN. The more extreme challenges and imbalance has taken all the fun away.

I am tired of all the "did not collects", having to fight the same mobs over and over and over. Remember when in the first arc, you could get your main story quests and pick up side quests at the same time and be able to STACK many of those mob battles? Can't do that in the second arc, right? Even fixing that would be a big help.

Increasing numbers of cheating bosses has become a chore, more solo bosses and mobs that are more stressful than fun.

Like many others, I had family that played. They left post CL. Many of my friends left post CL. Yes, I made many new friends, but again post Az, some of those left as well and more since then. I have barely been in live game for more than a couple of hours over the past few weeks. The fun and enjoyment I had in the first arc just isn't there. I don't even care to run the wizards I have in the first arc. I see no point if I can't enjoy the whole game. Like a couple of others here, I am very close to shutting down my subs. The game is no longer family friendly.

The screams for more and harder challenge has clouded the game and if KI can't or isn't willing to see that, then many of us won't be here. We won't be referring this game to other family members or friends since it is not what it was and still is advertised as.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
seethe42 on Nov 7, 2013 wrote:
Sorry but you're just as guilty of it, that entire post had nothing to do with the thread as was totally personal, off-topic and completely not helpful.

Fun vs Challenge is not a either or as you like to put it. For it to be fun it has to have a challenge, otherwise you might as well play tic-tac-toe by yourself and consider the time passing as "fun". I agree that challenge needs to be appropriate to satisfy the largest median group. The problem is that it's NOT. With Azteca they made it harder for everyone so the "It's too hard" group had no fun. Now they made the new test world with weak Avalon,Azteca and Khrysalis that are all easier than Zafaria, so the "It needs a challenge" group isn't having fun. They need to stop the drastic changes from one spectrum to the other and find middle ground.
Seethe42, I apologize. What happened is that I started a different thread, and they merged it in with yours. The back and forth with Belgrim started there, and I got caught in it. Then it spilled over to here. Sorry to sidetrack your thread. Again, I apologize, and will leave off that line of posting.

And I agree with you totally. It is the middle ground that I too would like to find, for the majority of the game play, with some side areas that can cater to either end of the spectrum.

Explorer
Dec 01, 2012
Thank you for posting that!!!
I do think that Kingsisle should do something to the quests to make them more fun, because I am getting really bored with my quests and that's led me away from the game, even though the game rocks. I am in Avalon, and I am getting really tired of it because it's all either fighting some enemies over and over or doing some boss that takes me like 90 tries.

Defender
Jun 02, 2013
In browsing these message boards, the dilemma facing many players is "challenge or fun". Those that play solo more often are on the side promoting "fun", while those that have an active player list to choose from request more of a "challenge". These are two extreme ends of the entertaining gaming spectrum.

I would love to see KI implement an additional method or two to seek out players which would increase the fun factor and allow people who often play solo, experience more content, thereby fulfilling the challenge aspect of Wizard101.

I also understand it is a top priority for KI to keep the identity of their players as safe as possible and apologize if this was already proposed and explained in a previous post. I believe that those that seek to take advantage are the minority and I am confident that most are like my family and I and just want to enjoy Wizard101 to the fullest.

So once again, as in my other posts, I am announcing to any "casual" player with a progressive play style, I would love to meet and group up with you. I am on the Lincoln realm most often for its low population and currently questing in ZF, Stone Town. I say casual because I don't log in at the same every day, but I do play almost every day for several hours mostly PM times.

I understand that group content may not go as expected a few times, but through trial and error it can be beaten with patience, positive attitudes and teamwork. By grouping up with those that share your play style, both aspects of the game are met in my opinion.

Best of luck to us all searching for that happy medium.

Gabriel Level 72

Survivor
Jul 28, 2010
These posts should be put up during test realm*

Anyways, fun is a good factor but now that the worlds are released they would have to shut down W101 for a month or several to "ease" the pain players have influenced. Sooo, if they DID ease up on Khrysalis pt. 2 then it would probably be a twin in difficulty to Azteca or Avalon so really this complaint is really useless in a way, not to mention the new Shadow Spells/Astral/School(12-14 pip or more ) later on. Trudge through the mud to become one of the best sounds like a pretty good idea to me But anyways it doesn't seem that hard but I respect your opinions and actually agree 80% of the time . Khrysalis in my opinion is where the frustration kicks in with me But I agree fun is STARTING to look like the one being left out .

Level 92 Gabriel DragonRider

Level 91 Gabriel StormStrider