Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Which is greater - challenge or fun?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 17, 2010
If you'd like a short answer to my question in the title, here it is - fun. Fun is more important. But you might be wondering, "Why? Why is fun more important? Challenge is what makes a game interesting and fun; thus, challenge is superior, because fun will inevitably follow."

And to that, I would disagree.

Wizard101 seems to focus more on challenge than on fun in its later worlds. A great example of this is Avalon and Celestia - where a bunch of the bosses have very high health and love to cheat. In Avalon, some of these bosses must be fought solo - you cannot ask a friend to teleport and help you. This is ridiculous. It's a challenge, yes - but it's not fun at all, if you ask me! Celestia is probably my least favorite world in Wizard101, due to the sheer amount of dedication it took to get through it. The atmosphere grated on my nerves after a while; the world became repetitive and highly irritating. Not to mention all the cheating bosses. I'm not quite finished with Avalon yet, but I've heard infamous things about it from my mother, who also plays Wizard101. My point is this - these worlds are all challenging, but are they very fun? In my opinion, no, they are not.

I can't remember how long I've been playing Wizard101, but I first started to play just before Celestia came out. After I had been playing for just a little while, that was when Celestia was released, if I remember correctly. I don't know how long that's been, but I do remember when I first started the game - I was addicted to it until two in the morning! I could not pull myself away from the magical Unicorn Way and the enemies that plagued it. I wanted to save it, and I was having fun doing it! It was beautiful and new and fun and interesting! Some of the bosses were a bit challenging to me, since I was a brand-new player, but it the good kind of challenge - the fun kind.

Why has Wizard101 fallen away from this fun challenge? Instead we get tedious challenge with no hint of fun. The reason I'm only in Avalon and not Azteca (even though I've been playing Wizard101 for a while) is because... to put it mildly, I was frustrated with the game. Half-way through Celestia, I got so upset that I quit the game for a while. After that, I returned to the game and trudged my way through the horrible mud-pit that is Celestia, and I finally got to Zafaria. And halfway through it, I quit again.

Only recently have I rejoined, and I already feel like quitting again. Avalon is frustrating and boring to me. I'm just not interested in Wizard101 anymore. How can KI fix this? Well, they could balance challenge and fun, like they were doing in the first parts of the game, instead of focusing only on challenge. I find it ridiculous how your enemies start with four power pips, while you only get two, and they go critical far more often than I do (even though I have some nice critical gear). And the cheating - oh, the awful cheating!

KI could make Wizard101 fun and challenging without making it frustrating.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Silver moonshard on Oct 28, 2013 wrote:
If you'd like a short answer to my question in the title, here it is - fun. Fun is more important. But you might be wondering, "Why? Why is fun more important? Challenge is what makes a game interesting and fun; thus, challenge is superior, because fun will inevitably follow."

Wizard101 seems to focus more on challenge than on fun in its later worlds. A great example of this is Avalon and Celestia - where a bunch of the bosses have very high health and love to cheat. In Avalon, some of these bosses must be fought solo - you cannot ask a friend to teleport and help you. This is ridiculous. It's a challenge, yes - but it's not fun at all, if you ask me! Celestia is probably my least favorite world in Wizard101, due to the sheer amount of dedication it took to get through it. The atmosphere grated on my nerves after a while; the world became repetitive and highly irritating. Not to mention all the cheating bosses. I'm not quite finished with Avalon yet, but I've heard infamous things about it from my mother, who also plays Wizard101. My point is this - these worlds are all challenging, but are they very fun? In my opinion, no, they are not.

I can't remember how long I've been playing Wizard101, but I first started to play just before Celestia came out. After I had been playing for just a little while, that was when Celestia was released, if I remember correctly. I don't know how long that's been, but I do remember when I first started the game - I was addicted to it until two in the morning! I could not pull myself away from the magical Unicorn Way and the enemies that plagued it. I wanted to save it, and I was having fun doing it! It was beautiful and new and fun and interesting! Some of the bosses were a bit challenging to me, since I was a brand-new player, but it the good kind of challenge - the fun kind.

Why has Wizard101 fallen away from this fun challenge? Instead we get tedious challenge with no hint of fun. The reason I'm only in Avalon and not Azteca (even though I've been playing Wizard101 for a while) is because... to put it mildly, I was frustrated with the game. Half-way through Celestia, I got so upset that I quit the game for a while. After that, I returned to the game and trudged my way through the horrible mud-pit that is Celestia, and I finally got to Zafaria. And halfway through it, I quit again.

Only recently have I rejoined, and I already feel like quitting again. Avalon is frustrating and boring to me. I'm just not interested in Wizard101 anymore. How can KI fix this? Well, they could balance challenge and fun, like they were doing in the first parts of the game, instead of focusing only on challenge. I find it ridiculous how your enemies start with four power pips, while you only get two, and they go critical far more often than I do (even though I have some nice critical gear). And the cheating - oh, the awful cheating!

I'm not even in Avalon and it's not through lack of skill. I just don't care anymore. I am SO tired of repeated tasks...and mind numbing 'do not collect' quests in Zafaria (I am almost finish with it and have just stopped).
I find it sad because I genuinely like the game but agree...it's not fun when the challenge level becomes more like work. (Not everyone has hour upon hour to play each day either... I have maybe an hour in the evening and even less in the morning)

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
Fun, Fun, Fun, Fun, Fun!

Welcome to the chorus of those of us who want the fun, whimsical delight of earlier worlds to return to the game again! Hopefully, with the updates coming up, it will. We shall see!

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
I agree in concept. Fun is better.

I think one big factor is that people become spread pretty thin after you finish the basic Three Streets and Krokotopia. Yes, you can join a crowded realm, but even then it's hard to find another living soul in Dragonspyre or at the Tower of the Helephant. If you don't have people around, it's just you vs. the machine. That gets lonely (although very challenging).

I like areas where people are forced to have chance encounters with one another. That's where you end up meeting your friends and hatching partners. Lately the best places to run into other people has shifted to the Garden of Hesperides and areas where there is a promise of new and powerful gear. I don't even know where people go just to have fun anymore.

Defender
Dec 12, 2012
well if it is too fun it not challenging but if it too challenging it not fun so both are important

Survivor
Oct 17, 2010
Thanks, everyone, for your input. ^^ I definitely think challenge is an important factor, but fun, in my opinion, is just more important. There's a certain video game I absolutely love, and while most of the boss fights in the game are not really that challenging, they're extremely fun. They just have a sort of entertaining appeal to them, and I love it. This certain video game does have a problem with generally being a little too easy in some parts, but it's so much fun that I personally don't care all that much.

But I do think it's really hard to walk that fine line in between challenge and fun. If KI could somehow fix Wizard101 to be challenging and yet entertaining at the same time, I'd be perfectly content! I understand it might be hard to implement both elements equally, but they should give it a try; see how it goes. c:

RavenLady - I just have to say something about your post... I completely, whole-heartedly agree with your "did-not-collect" comment. It's mind-numbing to fight hordes of the same enemies, over and over again, and to get the same message each and every time - "Did not collect. Please try again." It makes me want to cry from frustration, and it's one of the reasons I quit Wizard101 a while back.

One thing I especially hate is when you're forced to solo a boss. The boss has insanely high health, plus a minion, and both of them start out with three or four power pips, and they spam you with hits to the point where you can't even throw up a shield in time. At one of these boss fights, I was nearly done with it - the minion was gone and the boss was low on health - and then I ran out of cards. I could have brought a reshuffle, I know, so that's an error on my part - I will admit to that. But to create a boss that has so much health that you run out of cards to hit with? I think that's an error in and of itself, honestly.

Anyway. These are my problems with Wizard101. I do think it's fun to play for a little while, but then it becomes tedious...

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
There has been a heated debate on the message boards since Azteca came out, and now again with the new realm and updates, regarding whether the game should be more challenging or more fun.

Some of us (myself included) think the game got too dark and difficult in the second arc since Celestia, and especially in Azteca. Many players left the game for Pirates or for other venues altogether. Others have stuck around, but feel frustrated and saddened by the amount of time and work it now takes to complete battles and quests. We welcome proposed easing of difficulty in the updates and would like to see even more of this easing, and a return to the lighter more family-friendly style of game we had in the first arc.

Others in the Wizard101 community really like the challenge and want more of it. They like having to strategize more, they like some of the darker turns, the enjoy the difficulty. They don't like the proposed changes to Azteca in the new updates, and they want things to get even more challenging.

Well, today it occurred to me that the Spiral is big enough for all of us!

For some reason, I thought of ski resorts I have been to -- the whole mountain is there for everyone. There are central area and lodges where all skiers gather. But then we go off to different level difficulty ski runs -- some bunny hills, some green dot easy runs, some intermediate, and some black runs for advanced skiers. What if the Wizard101 world was organized in a similar fashion?

What if the main quest line and all the essential spell level quests and activities, were really accessible to everyone to complete in a relatively family-friendly way? Things would still be level-appropriate, so the difficulty level would rise as our characters do. However the main line areas/quests/activities would be relatively moderate in the level of challenge, and no single part of them would be dramatically time-consuming.

Then there could be sideline quests and areas which vary in degree of challenge -- some for "green dot" folks who like it easy, some "blue diamond" areas for moderate difficulty, and some "black square" runs for the real hard core gamers. We already have this to a degree, with dungeons like Helephant, waterworks, or Aquila being harder, and places like Wizard City and Wisteria being easier. But what if we made it more clear, so that as a dungeon or quest line is introduced, it could say "intended for advanced difficulty players at "x" level", so we know that at that level this area is supposed to be hard. Then any one who goes in has no business complaining about it!

But then, also, anyone who wants a lighter kind of game, is not forced into a hard-core one.

What do folks think of this idea? KI, other wizards, would this help solve the debate?

Delver
Aug 26, 2012
Silver moonshard on Oct 30, 2013 wrote:
Thanks, everyone, for your input. ^^ I definitely think challenge is an important factor, but fun, in my opinion, is just more important. There's a certain video game I absolutely love, and while most of the boss fights in the game are not really that challenging, they're extremely fun. They just have a sort of entertaining appeal to them, and I love it. This certain video game does have a problem with generally being a little too easy in some parts, but it's so much fun that I personally don't care all that much.

But I do think it's really hard to walk that fine line in between challenge and fun. If KI could somehow fix Wizard101 to be challenging and yet entertaining at the same time, I'd be perfectly content! I understand it might be hard to implement both elements equally, but they should give it a try; see how it goes. c:

RavenLady - I just have to say something about your post... I completely, whole-heartedly agree with your "did-not-collect" comment. It's mind-numbing to fight hordes of the same enemies, over and over again, and to get the same message each and every time - "Did not collect. Please try again." It makes me want to cry from frustration, and it's one of the reasons I quit Wizard101 a while back.

One thing I especially hate is when you're forced to solo a boss. The boss has insanely high health, plus a minion, and both of them start out with three or four power pips, and they spam you with hits to the point where you can't even throw up a shield in time. At one of these boss fights, I was nearly done with it - the minion was gone and the boss was low on health - and then I ran out of cards. I could have brought a reshuffle, I know, so that's an error on my part - I will admit to that. But to create a boss that has so much health that you run out of cards to hit with? I think that's an error in and of itself, honestly.

Anyway. These are my problems with Wizard101. I do think it's fun to play for a little while, but then it becomes tedious...
Fun is way more important to me. Though challenge is still important. Did not collect quests? Hate them! You just have to fight endless hoards of the same thing just to get something. In Celestia science center I spent 30 minutes fighting endless hoards of Water-Matons just to get there stuff for a fountain. Then 10 more minutes to get there fuses! And then 20 more minutes to get a cogitator! And all where Water-Matons! I'm really glad I finished the science center the day I started it. And the solo bosses? I quitted my Ice wizard for a while on the quest for snow angel.

Reasons:
1. Solo battle
2. Ridiculous amounts of HP both boss and minion
3. Cheat: Every time you use a charm or global or trap, you get a curse
4. Both started with 3 pips, so you are firezilla-ed and orthrus-ed on the first turn. I mean who does that?

I agreed with you

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
Luckily health and starting pips in Azteca and Avalon are being nerfed down.

I would love to see bosses start to have aggression and actual damage and piercing. That would be an interesting concept. It would be both challenging and fun. Trying to manage your health, and the opponent doing the same. A new AI system... Would be interesting.

Squire
Jul 28, 2011
The challenge should be fun in a game....Although fun is way more important, cause this is a game after all.

Explorer
Sep 19, 2010
I think you are trying to stoke up another debate all for the purpose of having your thread as a "hot topic"
Cheerio Mate

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
FinnAgainWindrider on Nov 1, 2013 wrote:
There has been a heated debate on the message boards since Azteca came out, and now again with the new realm and updates, regarding whether the game should be more challenging or more fun.

Some of us (myself included) think the game got too dark and difficult in the second arc since Celestia, and especially in Azteca. Many players left the game for Pirates or for other venues altogether. Others have stuck around, but feel frustrated and saddened by the amount of time and work it now takes to complete battles and quests. We welcome proposed easing of difficulty in the updates and would like to see even more of this easing, and a return to the lighter more family-friendly style of game we had in the first arc.

Others in the Wizard101 community really like the challenge and want more of it. They like having to strategize more, they like some of the darker turns, the enjoy the difficulty. They don't like the proposed changes to Azteca in the new updates, and they want things to get even more challenging.

For some reason, I thought of ski resorts I have been to -- the whole mountain is there for everyone. There are central area and lodges where all skiers gather. But then we go off to different level difficulty ski runs -- some bunny hills, some green dot easy runs, some intermediate, and some black runs for advanced skiers. What if the Wizard101 world was organized in a similar fashion?

What if the main quest line and all the essential spell level quests and activities, were really accessible to everyone to complete in a relatively family-friendly way? Things would still be level-appropriate, so the difficulty level would rise as our characters do. However the main line areas/quests/activities would be relatively moderate in the level of challenge, and no single part of them would be dramatically time-consuming.

Then there could be sideline quests and areas which vary in degree of challenge -- some for "green dot" folks who like it easy, some "blue diamond" areas for moderate difficulty, and some "black square" runs for the real hard core gamers. We already have this to a degree, with dungeons like Helephant, waterworks, or Aquila being harder, and places like Wizard City and Wisteria being easier. But what if we made it more clear, so that as a dungeon or quest line is introduced, it could say "intended for advanced difficulty players at "x" level", so we know that at that level this area is supposed to be hard. Then any one who goes in has no business complaining about it!

But then, also, anyone who wants a lighter kind of game, is not forced into a hard-core one.

What do folks think of this idea? KI, other wizards, would this help solve the debate?
..."What if the main quest line and all the essential spell level quests and activities, were really accessible to everyone to complete in a relatively family-friendly way? Things would still be level-appropriate, so the difficulty level would rise as our characters do. However the main line areas/quests/activities would be relatively moderate in the level of challenge, and no single part of them would be dramatically time-consuming."...

..."Then there could be sideline quests and areas which vary in degree of challenge -- some for "green dot" folks who like it easy, some "blue diamond" areas for moderate difficulty, and some "black square" runs for the real hard core gamers. We already have this to a degree, with dungeons like Helephant, waterworks, or Aquila being harder, and places like Wizard City and Wisteria being easier."...

I think that this is a wonderful suggestion! Since we already do have areas like this as you mentioned (Wysteria, Crab Alley, Aquila, etc.), I don't see this as being impossible to put in the game.

I have already lost two family members who have stopped playing, and I am losing interest quickly. I have only one wizard that has gone as far as Mirror Lake in Zafaria, and I don't think I will be taking her any further. The other wizards I have are currently resting in Dragonspyre, Mooshu, and Marleybone. I am trying to decide if I am going to invest any more time or money (subscriptions) in the game. Time will tell...

Delver
Mar 10, 2009
BELGRIM 101 on Nov 5, 2013 wrote:
I think you are trying to stoke up another debate all for the purpose of having your thread as a "hot topic"
Cheerio Mate
That's a little harsh. Fin's posts have proven again and again to be highly useful.

Delver
Mar 10, 2009
FinnAgainWindrider on Nov 1, 2013 wrote:

I like it. No, I love it. It would solve a lot of the problems. Those that are just tired of getting pummeled to death can finally finish the story and the hard core ones can get their fun too. Well thought out and a really great idea that I really hope they can implement.

Explorer
Sep 19, 2010
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Nov 5, 2013 wrote:
That's a little harsh. Fin's posts have proven again and again to be highly useful.
This is already being discussed in the test realm thread and is highly duplicative, and therefore, not useful

Delver
Dec 30, 2012
This is already being discussed in the test realm thread and is highly duplicative, and therefore, not useful
This is a suggestion to the test realm thread, which by the way, will be deleted once the test realm goes live. So, no, he is not trying to start a debate at all. Think before you post. That was kind of rude of you.

I agree with Finn, this is a cool idea. Harder tasks should harbor more rewards.

Defender
Jun 02, 2013
I can understand Belgrim's intent to keep the amount of duplicated thread topics in the forums as low as possible, however, Finn's posts are very informative, easy to understand, and extremely helpful.

Now for a player like me, this specific thread subject would go unnoticed due to the fact that I don't peruse the Test Realm section. I am not yet level 90 and have no interest in content I am not eligible for.

In my short time frequenting these forums I have found that Finn is one of the most active participants and I enjoy his/her thoughts and opinions on several aspects of the game. I am also enjoy Dr. Von's comments, and Northlite, among a few others who's usernames escape me at the moment.

Don't mean to sound like a cheerleader, but I give credit where it is due (most times)

Gabriel Legendary Necromancer
Brahm Spellbreaker Legendary Sorcerer

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
First, there are many who do not go to the test realm, Belgrim, who are also interested in this topic. It is something I have thought a lot about lately, and I am trying to add something constructive to the conversation that moves beyond people arguing and toward a solution.

Second, it is just plain rude to make a character attack. The comments you have made here are neither constructive nor appropriate. I have never insulted you or attacked your character. If you have an opinion that is on-topic, that is one thing. Attacking someone personally is quite another. Snide comments like these say a lot more about your own character and outlook than they do about mine. If you have something constructive to say, by all means say it. If you don't agree with me, then feel free to disagree. If you don't like my posts, then don't read them. So join the conversation, or stay out of it -- but please don't just try to put other people down while really saying nothing at all.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
Defender
May 11, 2012
Absolutely love this idea I am a middle-age woman who has been stuck in the same place in Avalon since at least May or June. I miss the first arc when things were fun and enjoyable and relatively stress-free. That's what I was looking for in a game. The game isn't fun anymore. Nobody on my friends list is on anymore, and I just don't have time to devote hours and hours to a fight with a cartoon. All I do anymore is come on and do some gardening and sell off what my plants give me. I am waiting to see what happens when the test realm goes live. If Avalon is not significantly easier, and dungeons much, much shorter, I am afraid I am going to have to tell KI good-bye, which I hate to do with all the time and money I spent on this game. Wizard has been such a big part of my life for so long, saying goodbye is going to be like losing a part of myself. But, how does the saying go? To every time there is a season. Maybe this season is over.
Autumn FairyDreamer

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
FinnAgainWindrider on Nov 6, 2013 wrote:
First, there are many who do not go to the test realm, Belgrim, who are also interested in this topic. It is something I have thought a lot about lately, and I am trying to add something constructive to the conversation that moves beyond people arguing and toward a solution.

Second, it is just plain rude to make a character attack. The comments you have made here are neither constructive nor appropriate. I have never insulted you or attacked your character. If you have an opinion that is on-topic, that is one thing. Attacking someone personally is quite another. Snide comments like these say a lot more about your own character and outlook than they do about mine. If you have something constructive to say, by all means say it. If you don't agree with me, then feel free to disagree. If you don't like my posts, then don't read them. So join the conversation, or stay out of it -- but please don't just try to put other people down while really saying nothing at all.
there was a thread called "which is better challenge or fun" on first page in the dorms the day before this got past moderation

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
critical blizzard on Nov 6, 2013 wrote:
there was a thread called "which is better challenge or fun" on first page in the dorms the day before this got past moderation
My point in this topic is precisely to say that phrasing the question as "which is better?" is not the way to a solution! That "either/or" phrasing of the question is what leads to argument. But the answer to "which is better?" is a matter of preference, and therefore just leads to more debate.

What I was trying to do by making this a separate topic, was to re-frame the question as less of a debate, and more of a constructive conversation that would stimulate solutions, rather than back-and-forth argument about who is right.

When it comes to preferences, we all have a right to our own tastes. So my question is, how do we create a conversation, and a game-playing environment, in which everyone can win?

So I am a little disappointed that this topic got moved into the other one today. We have already been having the "who is right/which is better" talk -- but that is getting nowhere. What I would like to see is a conversation about how we can come to a mutually beneficial agreement that makes the spiral more welcoming to a variety of preferences. This was intended to take the conversation in a different direction.

Explorer
Sep 19, 2010
Being an intelligent human, I fail to see where the personal attacks are in the following phrase: This is already being discussed in the test realm thread and is highly duplicative, and therefore, not useful . Sometimes truthfulness hurts, my apologies, please don't take your ball and run home.

Belgrim Anvil Lv 30

Belgrim BoomHammer Lv 90

Belgrim Dust Lv 90

Begrim Emeraldbane Lv 90

Belgrim Fist Lv 90

William Wildweaver Lv 90

Survivor
Jun 06, 2009
Silver moonshard on Oct 28, 2013 wrote:

That's a simple question ... I think. I'm guessing they "should" go hand in hand. If it was challenging, it would not be fun. If it wasn't fun, it would n't be a game, would it? Come on, if Azteca and all the other world were easy, people would start complaining about how the worlds are too easy, just like they did for the Mallistaire updates. Anyways, if you don't think it's fun, just trying making it fun. I know that all these new worlds are supposed to be for a mature audience, but it isn't exactly a jigsaw puzzle. (or something like that) I agree with you about the cheating boss and creatures starting out with the max pips, but isn't that what makes the game challenging? This is my opinion on this situation.

Charles Nightsword, Level 37 See you in the Spiral! (or not)

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
BELGRIM 101 on Nov 6, 2013 wrote:
Being an intelligent human, I fail to see where the personal attacks are in the following phrase: This is already being discussed in the test realm thread and is highly duplicative, and therefore, not useful . Sometimes truthfulness hurts, my apologies, please don't take your ball and run home.

Belgrim Anvil Lv 30

Belgrim BoomHammer Lv 90

Belgrim Dust Lv 90

Begrim Emeraldbane Lv 90

Belgrim Fist Lv 90

William Wildweaver Lv 90
Belgrim, I quoted your second post, because it was the most recent. But as for the character attack, you know full well I was referring to your first statement, which said I was posting merely to try to stoke up a hot topic. (see your post Nov 5, 8:41am). There is no "truth" in that statement, merely a character attack.

That not only I took your comment that way, but several other people also posted to that effect, belies your comments here.

As far as your saying it is a duplicate and not useful, that is your opinion, not the "truth." And I might add, it does not "hurt" -- it is just inconsiderate and "not helpful."

So do you have anything helpful to add to this topic, that would actually move the conversation toward a solution?