Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

School Choosing

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jun 23, 2012
I have heard and listened to some people asking which school would be best right now I have a fire, ice, life, and death. Trying to figure out which next and last school should come either myth or balance. I have determined not to do storm, sure it can heal at a high level and gets some good armor with its high damage but in the beginning its hard to master and fight alone usually for most or some people. So I want to hear peoples opinions which school do you think would be best to choose Myth or Balance?

Survivor
Aug 27, 2010
If you want to work alone at a low level I'd choose myth. If there was a life option I'd go with life because it is very easy to work alone, But myth is as well. I do not have a Myth I used to, And it was easy working alone because you get minions at low levels So if there was more options in solo classes i'd think i would still go with myth, at a low level you get minions also when you are a higher level the spells are epic. I hope i helped

Survivor
Jan 15, 2009
Dont do balance, you'll come to realize that balance has no converts making fights against balance bosses darn near impossible

Survivor
Jan 23, 2013
When you choose your own school, you want to get something that you think will help you a lot. I am going to tell you the differences in the schools.

1. Storm has really strong spells but you don't get very much life.
2. Ice gets a lot of life and it helps a lot. (I'm ice and I love it but this is just my own personal opinion.)
3. Death can damage and heal at the same time that helps really well.
4. Life helps a lot because it can help you heal others a lot easier.
5. Fire can help you a lot by healing and attacking with one spell.
6. Myth can summon a lot of minions which can help you a lot because it can save you a lot of money and you won't have to buy minions from the crown shop so often.
7. Balance can help you a lot when you get hydra and others like that. They actually cast different schools and the blades you get help a lot.

Survivor
Jan 15, 2009
Chigger14 on Apr 11, 2013 wrote:
When you choose your own school, you want to get something that you think will help you a lot. I am going to tell you the differences in the schools.

2. Ice gets a lot of life and it helps a lot. (I'm ice and I love it but this is just my own personal opinion.)
6. Myth can summon a lot of minions which can help you a lot because it can save you a lot of money and you won't have to buy minions from the crown shop so often.
7. Balance can help you a lot when you get hydra and others like that. They actually cast different schools and the blades you get help a lot.
But I was talking like real bosses....
It is very hard for a balance wizard to beat a balance boss in azteca. Hydra wont do good there.

Mastermind
Jun 01, 2009
i love both balance and myth and have had many troubles with them in the past here's my opinion

Myth: very easy in the beginning, but as you get to the higher levels you realize there are not very good attack all spells for higher level myth

Balance: medium difficulty most of the time, but you realize: oh, no! i have no prisms and i'm fighting a balance with great resist!

Explorer
Jun 23, 2012
Ok, so far as I have seen, it will be Myth, despite the fact I like balance for its decent damage, high health and accuracy, and the spells Chimera and Sabertooth.

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
Darkness Guardian on Apr 10, 2013 wrote:
I have heard and listened to some people asking which school would be best right now I have a fire, ice, life, and death. Trying to figure out which next and last school should come either myth or balance. I have determined not to do storm, sure it can heal at a high level and gets some good armor with its high damage but in the beginning its hard to master and fight alone usually for most or some people. So I want to hear peoples opinions which school do you think would be best to choose Myth or Balance?
Thus far, you've done two Spirit and two Element schools.

You are likely to eventually do both Myth and Balance, so the order is not really critical -- but Myth will be another Spirit School. Maybe you should try Balance so you can branch out a bit and see what it's like to not be tied to any school's approach.

As you have probably already figured out, the schools themselves are not better or worse -- what matters is how you relate to the school. Which you can't know until you run it.

Myth has minions at lower level, Earthquake at mid level, Basilisk and Medusa at high level -- the tendency is to be disruptive of enemy actions while making progress on your own attacks. Decent Health, too.

Balance is flexible. Instead of Prisms (converts), it has attacks in every school. It has heals. It has the second most accurate spells in the game. And if planned properly, it tends to one-shot enemies in the street battles for the first forty or fifty levels -- less true when playing with Sandstorm, of course.

The issue isn't which school is better -- it's which school you will relate to.

And since you will eventually do them both -- why not try something new?

I love both Myth and Balance, but I will admit my first and second favorites are Life and Balance. So my opinion is of course a bit biased.

And don't buy into that "Support Class" stuff people will try to stuff into your head -- I ran both my Life and my Balance solo long before I ran them in teams. They are strong of their own right, but you can't learn that if you only serve others. Mixing solo work with team work is great way to learn any school.

You have to choose -- but absent any particular reason to the contrary, I'd recommend you give Balance a shot.

- Stephen Earthmender
Life Wizard, Pixie Realm

Explorer
Jun 23, 2012
Stephen EarthMende... on Apr 15, 2013 wrote:
Thus far, you've done two Spirit and two Element schools.

You are likely to eventually do both Myth and Balance, so the order is not really critical -- but Myth will be another Spirit School. Maybe you should try Balance so you can branch out a bit and see what it's like to not be tied to any school's approach.

As you have probably already figured out, the schools themselves are not better or worse -- what matters is how you relate to the school. Which you can't know until you run it.

Myth has minions at lower level, Earthquake at mid level, Basilisk and Medusa at high level -- the tendency is to be disruptive of enemy actions while making progress on your own attacks. Decent Health, too.

Balance is flexible. Instead of Prisms (converts), it has attacks in every school. It has heals. It has the second most accurate spells in the game. And if planned properly, it tends to one-shot enemies in the street battles for the first forty or fifty levels -- less true when playing with Sandstorm, of course.

The issue isn't which school is better -- it's which school you will relate to.

And since you will eventually do them both -- why not try something new?

I love both Myth and Balance, but I will admit my first and second favorites are Life and Balance. So my opinion is of course a bit biased.

And don't buy into that "Support Class" stuff people will try to stuff into your head -- I ran both my Life and my Balance solo long before I ran them in teams. They are strong of their own right, but you can't learn that if you only serve others. Mixing solo work with team work is great way to learn any school.

You have to choose -- but absent any particular reason to the contrary, I'd recommend you give Balance a shot.

- Stephen Earthmender
Life Wizard, Pixie Realm
Well, Balance does have some high health, accuracy, and good attacks. Maybe I should give it a try, after all not the majority of basic enemy's and bosses are Balance. The only reason I like is its good attack rate.

Survivor
Feb 26, 2011
I am having trouble to should i do life or myth i heard myth is really fun, but i heard life is too so if anyone tcan tell please do.

Survivor
Dec 02, 2012
The Big Bang on Apr 18, 2013 wrote:
I am having trouble to should i do life or myth i heard myth is really fun, but i heard life is too so if anyone tcan tell please do.
life school is more funner cuz you can heal other wizards to

Survivor
Feb 26, 2011
Thanks but i got one more question what would you choose ice or life?

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012

Yes, Link and Powerlink are good spells, but for healing, you get more benefit from Sprite. As a 2 effect spell, I think it does a great job, and I used to carry it around a lot. It's a great "in a pinch" spell that you can heal with while using powerpips.

I haven't tested/noticed this, but does it get boosted by Sanctuary or Life Trap? If it doesn't, that's not a bad thing, but it would be better if it did. now, I know that it's a FIRE spell, but it's a LIFE SPELL effect (unlike Death school spells, yeah they heal, but it's not by a LIFE character. Link and Powerlink get healed by a Pixie/Fairy/Whatever you want to call it.... which is a LIFE creature).

Explorer
Feb 29, 2012
crackerjack323 on Apr 11, 2013 wrote:
But I was talking like real bosses....
It is very hard for a balance wizard to beat a balance boss in azteca. Hydra wont do good there.
I am a lvl 87 balance and it is pretty easy for me just stack blades and use chimera, but if you are picking a school with good stats don't choose balance at the start the power isn't even there until about lvl 10

Explorer
Jun 23, 2012
The Big Bang on Apr 18, 2013 wrote:
Though Life seems like it doesn't do a lot of damage you should do it. They have the ability to heal themselves without learning as secondary as well as they can get rid of overtime spells. Now if you don't have a problem with learning health as a second school and have good attack rate you should choose myth. Hard decision isn't it.

Explorer
Jun 23, 2012
I'm only gonna put the options between myth or balance. If I do storm I would have to waste more money buying crowns for some armor and life mastery amulet. Also one of the other main reasons I don't want to do storm is I don't want to ask for constant help like I have done a bit with my fire wizard. Balance has decent attack, health, and accuracy rating, but when you go up against balance itself your options are limited; Myth is has great attack rating, decent health and accuracy; the only part I don't like is the minions, they eventually don't become useful when you get to places like Celestia, Zafaria and so on. Plus as Balance my secondary's was going to be Storm and Life so I can have some more options in the long run.

Survivor
Feb 15, 2013
You should do myth cause i have a lvl 11 myth and he's great

Justin Spellslinger lvl 39 necromancer

Survivor
May 11, 2009
I think you should choose balance. It really is the perfect school. And I know there aren't any converts, but when you are battling balance bosses you use Spectral Blast, Hydra, Chimera, and Mana Burn.

Defender
Aug 12, 2012
Well that depends on what you feel best suits you.
If you want the whole game to be hard, then choose fire.
If you want the game to be moderate, then choose balance, myth, death, or ice.
If you want the game to be easy, choose life or storm.

Hope this helps!

Nathaniel Redflame. (Please add if you see me!)

Survivor
May 25, 2012
I think you should get myth. i hate myth but you can get a prism to help you! My advice is to get storm or life as your secondary school. Having the opposite can be really helpful so you can get a boost on myth bosses. I personally have an ice character with a life secondary school. it is nice to have life spells to help you So you should pick myth

Survivor
Feb 26, 2011
Darkness Guardian on Apr 20, 2013 wrote:
Though Life seems like it doesn't do a lot of damage you should do it. They have the ability to heal themselves without learning as secondary as well as they can get rid of overtime spells. Now if you don't have a problem with learning health as a second school and have good attack rate you should choose myth. Hard decision isn't it.
i am having another trobule again lol, i chose myth but now i have one space left and its a decision between ice and life life ehals and has good health and can do a lot of damage. But ice has really cool spells, good health, and good resist so its a really hard decision what should i choose?

Explorer
Jun 23, 2012
The Big Bang on Apr 22, 2013 wrote:
i am having another trobule again lol, i chose myth but now i have one space left and its a decision between ice and life life ehals and has good health and can do a lot of damage. But ice has really cool spells, good health, and good resist so its a really hard decision what should i choose?
Well, that depends. If you want a school with good accuracy, ton of health and accuracy, but not much power then go with Ice. Life has moderate damage and health with really high accuracy. Though I wouldn't be in your situation since I chose both I think personally you choose Ice since it is the only school that can withstand a fight longer and take a lot of damage. Plus in PvP they are a pain to kill.

Survivor
Feb 26, 2011
Explorer
Jun 23, 2012
Ok, I finally figured it out.... I have chosen Balance. I like Balance of its combination being able to shield all other schools, heal, and have a variety of attacks. Sure it may not do good when they go against balance itself but I have a storm secondary school to cover that. It has a good mix adding more blades, traps, and not to mention balance has precision to increase accuracy. Would have chosen myth though because I like its high to decent attack rating, decent accuracy, manageable health, and the mythology factor. As well as for balance I have around 7 attacks on my level 80 prediction deck.

Defender
Jun 18, 2012

1. storm gets the coolest spells
2. ice has taunt, stun, and tower shield. I am ice, I hate that most of the bosses are ice, but I can get a long way as long as its not a balance, fire, or ice monster.
3. death can attack and heal at the same time and does minor damage to self for blades, shields, traps, pips, or even more health
4.life has some handy healing spells, gnomes, and forest lord.
5.fire does minor damage, but gets more powerful each round
6.myth has minions and minotaur
7. balance can give your friends pips and get a better power pip chance

by the way, we should have mana spells