Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Over Powered, unfair matches in ranked PvP!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 07, 2012
Whenever i search a match with my Level 56 Balance, (Ranked); I always get someone who is either a Commander or higher, i find this completely unfair.. It says: "Looking for an opponent in your skill range" so it only looks for people around your level.. but what about actual PvP rank!? I'm only a private because i can't find people who are starting it like me. It would only make sense if you had to fight people in your rank, and level range. This is making me struggle a lot. Not to mention the struggle with 1st or 2nd age PvP warlords able to start over with all that gear they had previously. If they start over, they should have to legitimately start over...PERIOD.
People want to try out PvP but they can not. How can we try to be good at something if we can't even learn. We can get defeated easily fighting these ranks. Please Kingslse, fix this.

Sincerely,
Joshua

Defender
Jan 16, 2010
Seconded, man, seconded.

I had a bad experience with my level 14 Ice yesterday. It was my first time in PvP, and I can say with complete certainty that unless changes (serious changes) are made to the system, it will be my last time in PvP.

I wouldn't count on anyone from Kings Isle addressing this issue though. I've seen more than one post like yours, and they don't seem to care about posting a reply all that much. Even one that says "yes, we're aware of the issue, and we are going to address it" would be nice.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
DefenderSchools on Mar 26, 2016 wrote:
Whenever i search a match with my Level 56 Balance, (Ranked); I always get someone who is either a Commander or higher, i find this completely unfair.. It says: "Looking for an opponent in your skill range" so it only looks for people around your level.. but what about actual PvP rank!? I'm only a private because i can't find people who are starting it like me. It would only make sense if you had to fight people in your rank, and level range. This is making me struggle a lot. Not to mention the struggle with 1st or 2nd age PvP warlords able to start over with all that gear they had previously. If they start over, they should have to legitimately start over...PERIOD.
People want to try out PvP but they can not. How can we try to be good at something if we can't even learn. We can get defeated easily fighting these ranks. Please Kingslse, fix this.

Sincerely,
Joshua
The thing about the matching system is you can only be matched up with people who are actually in the queue with you. So if you happen to join up when there isn't someone your level or rank the search gets wider. That will include people of higher rank. There is a huge learning curve for people just starting out in PVP(Not sure if you are new, just a guess maybe I'm wrong. Apologies if I am). I recommend you watch some matches of people in your school and around your level but of higher rank. You can even watch YouTube vids of PVP, there are a ton of them. This will help get an idea of what you're up against, and how other players in your school respond to it.

As for the gear well as someone who owns said gear I'd be a bit annoyed if after the hard work I did to get it and now not being able to use it. I probably feel that was because that's the way it was implemented and has always been like that. But I see your point. The problem is the gear has no rank requirement to wear. Just to buy it.

In fairness if there were to be an overhaul of PVP(*cough* *cough* *cough*) to put everyone on a fair playing ground there probably should be a rank requirement to wear it and buy it. It's a legacy item(Passed down from Age to Age) and you should have to earn the right to wear it again. Just my opinion.

Seeing as how your rank can fluctuate from time to time, say you have the gear on, and then you lose a few matches and then you go from warlord to commander. Your gear should be immediately dropped to your backpack or chest or gear vault(Woot! Love these).

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
I understand what you mean. I disagree a bit, though. Rank just means they have done more matches than you have and have got their own style going. Mr Talon gave great advice - watch some matches that are your own school and level, take some notes and find your own Style.
An unfair match, in my opinion, is facing a level 110 when you are Legendary (my main pvp char is level 63). At lower levels you can counter with tc to a certain extent; but facing Shadow enhanced spells, It's pretty much game over ( rank and gear doesn't help at all with that lol).
Check out the Duelist101 website for great advice on deck builds and strats for your school and your level; definitely watch some matches like Mr Talon said; maybe try some practice matches to try out deck set ups.
Don't give up - I've made some of my best friends in the arena, and many are willing to help out either with advice or pet hatches to help with stats.
All started at private just like you, You can do it

P.S. totally disagree with comments regarding gear; it's not just rank to buy it, but many tickets; Lots of hard work to get pvp gear. Check out the vendors that sell it, it takes thousands of tickets to get some gear.