Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Balance, AKA, the weakest school.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 09, 2009
Hello! I just wanted to talk about how balance really is the weakest school for the story line, so basically the whole game. The accuracy is just, meh. 85% isn't horrible but when you have damage that is basically 85-100 damage a pip, it doesn't add up. So here is a "balanced" list of all the improvements needing to be made to the school.

-Damage or accuracy. Please take damage up to about a basic 100 per pip instead of around 85-90. Or just boost the accuracy to 90% or 95%

-Give balance more tactical spells. Balances best spell hands down (tactial/pvp wise) is mana burn. Not only does it do mega damage to high pip people, it eliminates 4 of the pips, power pip or not! You can literally take out 8 pips with this spell. So what am I asking? More excellent and useful, emphasis on useful, spells. Like elemental and spiritual diffusion is the worst spell I have ever seen.

-Health on balance I would say is fine, if anything, just a tiny boost would be ok, but that's not really a problem.

-More heals. Wizard101, you claim in every summary I have have seen you publish about balance as being a well rounded school with attacks, bladeing, and healing. There are literally like two heals so out of the 50 spells that exist for balance, there are two heals. For one heal spell, there will be 24 other spells. Wow. That's what I call balanced. Not. We could use just a couple more spells to help heal. And I know we arn't life or anything but that really would "balance" up our spell set.

-And finally, the most ironic and annoying thing balance lacks, blades. Every single time a shield is put up. I have to wast EVERY single blade and trap I worked up for to finish the attack. All gone. Balance I know is the boosting school but still, we need the spells currently offered, and alot of balance specific blades. Then, we wouldn't even need a damage boost! And also the final thing in this catagory and in general is a prism to revert to death or life. It is unbelievibly hard to fight balance monsters and ecspecially bosses. I mean for gosh sake, fire can put on a prism on ALL enemies, in ONE spell! And we have to armor pierce up the wazoo just to get a little hit.

Thank you for reading over this, and post any comments/ suggestions you might have!

~Balance Master Ryan~

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
Balance is great. Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.

The only real fail is the lack of a useful bubble. PowerPlay really needs to be replaced (and why did that useless card get put on otherwise nice high level wands?)

No, there's no prism, but balance can do other school damage with power pips and native spells. Balance can boost ANY school damage effectively. Those are unique and powerful abilities.

Use Pierce to remove shields, not wand hits. It's an easy card to get, and since there is no specific shield against Balance (another plus) all you have to worry about is tower.

No prisim? Train Infallible (or carry TC) for balance vs balance, or get yourself a Harpy or Therizinosaurus pet, or level up and Shrike, or buy/farm a mastery.

I'd like to see the bubble upgraded, and balance spear trainable. Ideally Balance gear should have universal damage boost, rather than school specific (the way ice gets universal resist).

Other than that, Balance is fantastic.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Seriously not a single item on your list is needed for Balance. Balance damage is balanced, BECAUSE unlike every other school, there is no Balance shield. Every other school has 30, 50, 55, 70, 70, 75, 75, 80 all stackable. Only the 3 lowest affect Balance. This is the same reason Balance doesn't need it's own Blade or Prism. You claim that Balance is the weakest school. It's one of the strongest but it requires skill to play. As for fighting Balance bosses, it's actually rather simple. My Balance just fought Belloq alone the other night. As a Balance wizard you can gear up to even higher Balance resist than the boss and still have a huge attack boost. Chimera, Hydra and Spectral Blast are all very effective spells. You can also easily blade and trap up for ANY off school spell you like. I generally like to use a Sun boosted Wraith with all the blades and traps.

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
ElectroCat on Mar 16, 2014 wrote:
Hello! I just wanted to talk about how balance really is the weakest school for the story line, so basically the whole game. The accuracy is just, meh. 85% isn't horrible but when you have damage that is basically 85-100 damage a pip, it doesn't add up. So here is a "balanced" list of all the improvements needing to be made to the school.

-Damage or accuracy. Please take damage up to about a basic 100 per pip instead of around 85-90. Or just boost the accuracy to 90% or 95%

-Give balance more tactical spells. Balances best spell hands down (tactial/pvp wise) is mana burn. Not only does it do mega damage to high pip people, it eliminates 4 of the pips, power pip or not! You can literally take out 8 pips with this spell. So what am I asking? More excellent and useful, emphasis on useful, spells. Like elemental and spiritual diffusion is the worst spell I have ever seen.

-Health on balance I would say is fine, if anything, just a tiny boost would be ok, but that's not really a problem.

-More heals. Wizard101, you claim in every summary I have have seen you publish about balance as being a well rounded school with attacks, bladeing, and healing. There are literally like two heals so out of the 50 spells that exist for balance, there are two heals. For one heal spell, there will be 24 other spells. Wow. That's what I call balanced. Not. We could use just a couple more spells to help heal. And I know we arn't life or anything but that really would "balance" up our spell set.

-And finally, the most ironic and annoying thing balance lacks, blades. Every single time a shield is put up. I have to wast EVERY single blade and trap I worked up for to finish the attack. All gone. Balance I know is the boosting school but still, we need the spells currently offered, and alot of balance specific blades. Then, we wouldn't even need a damage boost! And also the final thing in this catagory and in general is a prism to revert to death or life. It is unbelievibly hard to fight balance monsters and ecspecially bosses. I mean for gosh sake, fire can put on a prism on ALL enemies, in ONE spell! And we have to armor pierce up the wazoo just to get a little hit.

Thank you for reading over this, and post any comments/ suggestions you might have!

~Balance Master Ryan~
You really don't have the patience and will to be in balance. All you want are just quick easy attacks like Storm, or as I like to call it, the win or lose school.

Balance has unlimited power if you actually try. I've seen in pvp a level 39 balance wizard beat a level 69 ice wizard.

If you don't like balance, join another school and leave us be.

Melissa Smith
Magus Sorcerer
Honorary Engineer

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010

~Balance Master Ryan~
Balance is probably the toughest school I played. I had issues figuring out how it was suppose to be done.

I am not sure if you see the Broken Mold guide which actually did help me out a bit.

http://wizard.mercenaries101.com/category/gameplay-guides/school-gameplay-guides/balance/

Mary

Archon
Oct 24, 2010

~Balance Master Ryan~
This has been complained about and addressed many, many times, and in fact was just posted recently. Balance seems to do fine at lower levels; it's once you are past level 60 or so that things get iffy.

The damage and accuracy are fine. This cannot be changed as it would thrown the entire balance of the game off. If you are having difficulty with 85% accuracy, get gear to boost it. I very rarely fizzle and have no boost. If you want more power, there are blades and traps for that, as well as gear to give you more strength.

No on more healing spells. Ice has zero healing spells (as an example). Balance does not need more. And everyone has Pixie. Use it if you need it or train Life as a secondary. Life is seriously lacking in damage spells due to the massive amount of healing spells... there's a lesson there.

The fact that Balance has no Balance-only blade/trap is a valid one and one KI has yet to address. I agree it's totally annoying and needs to be changed/updated. Also spirit and elemental prisms would be an easy addition to the game for Balance v Balance boss battles.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
as a balance wizard who doesn't really care for the school but has made the best of the situation anyway, here are my thoughts on your post.

1) balance is a mixed bag.

we are the middle ground~ we have a powerful x-pip spell (like storm), a heal over time (life/fire), some cool shields (ice), pretty good accuracy (death), and multiple minions (myth).

the only thing i'm not keen on is the reliance on off-school spells. at my level, a myth mastery amulet is practically a requirement for balance (even in pve), but i've done the best i can without one and still turned out okay.

2) accuracy

i would like to see an accuracy increase (since we, along with life and death, can't get good accuracy without tanking our other stats). but, at the same time, i understand why it is the way it is. your best bet is to get a pet with sharp shot or add balance.

3) "tactical" spells

i don't pvp, so i have no use whatsoever for mana burn, or any so-called "utility" spells. the primary focus in the game is pve (could've fooled me, ki), so the spells need to work just as well for those of us who don't want to use a pvp mindset in pve.

4) health/healing

i'm quite happy with my 5000 health. but balance does not need more healing; not because "it's life's job", but because the 2 heals we have are more than enough. if you're that desperate, use your pixie.

5) blades

yes, i agree that balance needs a buff (blade/trap/something) that benefits it exclusively. not being able to get rid of weakness or shields (ie: having to waste pips or rounds on shatter/cleanse charm) is a huge pain and something i would like to see fixed.

off my soapbox for now,
-von "the awesome sauce-erer" shadowsong

level 95 x3

Delver
Jan 13, 2010
Balance is actually good. They are not bad at one thing, nor good at one thing.

They have the medium in every single thing. In accuracy, like you said, not bad. Damage,not bad. Health, not bad. Spells: Not bad. And then if you add them all up, it equals really good.

Cole Dunerunner

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011

~Balance Master Ryan~
I disagree, Balance used to be underpowered but after the most recent worlds came out, they became more powerful. Balance has availing hands which I think is good enough. It heals a lot and balance is not supposed to be like life. You complain about only having two heals while there are other schools without any heals. You guys only have to deal with tower shield and fire isn't the only school with a mass prism. Health is fine the way it is. Your damage is balanced. Balance does not need any boosts. Balance may seem underpowered because it has disadvantages that other schools don't have, but they do have advantages over the other schools.

Explorer
Oct 20, 2011
There is a spell called "Judgement" that takes 100 damage per pip. But it takes up all your blades. There isn't any healing spells in Balance etiher. So i guess Wizard101 should do something about this

Delver
Aug 10, 2010
It comes from back in the "old days". It used to be that because Balance had no opposite, that there was no "resist" against Balance but there was also no "boost" when you cast a Balance spell. So when you cast a Judgment for 100/pip, that's what you got, there was NO resist.

Well, PvP players cried that "Judgment/Balance is overpowered" and gear with universal resist came out, then they cried some more and they got "Unbalance". Balance players have complained that because there is now resist and dispel that we should get a real Balance blade & trap but it has pretty much fallen on deaf ears.

The biggest advantage Balance has now is Spectral Blast, Hydra and Chimera. When you're up against a Balance boss, you have spells that you don't need a mastery amulet for that do non-Balance damage, but now you're subject to the shields and resist for the other schools.

Mastermind
Jan 05, 2014
Balance may not be a strong as death or fire, but calling it weak is an exaggeration. Yes, shields are annoying and you can't burn them without burning your traps... but the only shield your enemies can use is tower shield, which is only a 50% reduction, other schools face shields with 80% damage reduction. Judgement is an awesome spell whose utility few other schools can match, you can throw it with as many pips as you need to defeat the target, to get that flexibility other schools have to clutter their deck with several different attack cards of different strengths. You complain that balance only has two healing spells... but why would you want more? Availing hands is a great spell, if you think in terms of power pips it is more pip efficient than the life spell regenerate. Granted, balance has no heal all spell, but perhaps we should leave life something no other school can do.

And speaking of life -- this is a truly weak school. Balance doesn't even begin to be as weak as life.

Survivor
Apr 23, 2009
85% accuracy is the second highest accuracy in the game (besides 100% spells), which is not too bad. Judgement is 100 damage per pip, although you're probably talking about spells like Locust Swarm and such. It's not the weakest damage-per-pip ratio. Look at Ice, they have 80% accuracy with lower damage for the same amount of pips.

-Neither of these need to be increased necessarily. Balance has the second lowest chance of fizzling. Their damage isn't the worst, either.

-Balance also has many sweet spells going for them. Just like Arthur Wethersfield said the school could change the rules of combat, many spells of it do. You have plenty useful spells: Reshuffle, Mana Burn, Supernova, Loremaster, elemental and spirit shields, etc.

-The health on Balance does not need much improvement. Up until level 49, Balance has the second highest health in the game. Even after that, it's not much behind Life in health.

-Balance has two heals. That's more than many other schools have. Life is all about healing, so they are supposed to have plenty. Balance is not supposed to be better at healing than Life is, but they still can do it. Myth doesn't have any heals, so be a little more grateful.

-Balance doesn't have its own shield to combat Balance damage either. The only spells to weaken them are Tower Shield, Weakness, and Plagues. That's not too much to handle compared to the school specific shields other schools need to face. Balance also does not need a prism because they can simply use spells dealing other school damage, like Elemental Blast, Hydra, and Chimera. Balance really has more going for them than you're giving them credit for.

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
Raspykoo653 on Mar 16, 2014 wrote:
There is a spell called "Judgement" that takes 100 damage per pip. But it takes up all your blades. There isn't any healing spells in Balance etiher. So i guess Wizard101 should do something about this
Balance does have healing spells. In fact they have 2 healing spells, helping hands and availing hands. A boost is not necessary for balance.

Delver
Mar 05, 2013
All the rebuttals I had thought of have already been covered by other posters. I'll just say this. If Balance is so weak how come there are so many Promethean Balance Wizards who have finished Khrysalis Part 1 (like myself)? How come so many people complain about Balance being overpowered in PvP? I've said it before, it's not the School, it's the Wizard. You're going to run into problems along the way with any School. I know this as I have Storm, Death, and Myth Wizards I'm bringing along. Every school has it's advantages and disadvantages. I honestly don't think you can rank one ahead or behind any of the others. It's all in how you play it. I'll close with this. Balance is by far the most versatile school of all. With proper use of gear and spells the sky is the limit. I have getting involved in the school vs. school arguments, because they are all moot. And, quite frankly, unwinnable. But I do like reading people's opinions.

Explorer
Nov 27, 2011
WEAK!?!?!?! hahahahaha, no, it isnt weak you must learn to use it, it can actually be the hardest school to solo the game, but once you learn to use them, they're very powerful. The same with Ice, and Myth

Richard FrostBreeze level 77
Brahm NIghtshade level 31

Defender
Mar 30, 2010
This thread title is absolutely ridiculous.

How can the school with the most power and versatility be the weakest?

It can't. is ok where it is at, if anything it needs to be weakened not strengthened.

Defender
Jul 10, 2009
Oathkeeper and Obl... on Mar 17, 2014 wrote:
85% accuracy is the second highest accuracy in the game (besides 100% spells), which is not too bad. Judgement is 100 damage per pip, although you're probably talking about spells like Locust Swarm and such. It's not the weakest damage-per-pip ratio. Look at Ice, they have 80% accuracy with lower damage for the same amount of pips.

-Neither of these need to be increased necessarily. Balance has the second lowest chance of fizzling. Their damage isn't the worst, either.

-Balance also has many sweet spells going for them. Just like Arthur Wethersfield said the school could change the rules of combat, many spells of it do. You have plenty useful spells: Reshuffle, Mana Burn, Supernova, Loremaster, elemental and spirit shields, etc.

-The health on Balance does not need much improvement. Up until level 49, Balance has the second highest health in the game. Even after that, it's not much behind Life in health.

-Balance has two heals. That's more than many other schools have. Life is all about healing, so they are supposed to have plenty. Balance is not supposed to be better at healing than Life is, but they still can do it. Myth doesn't have any heals, so be a little more grateful.

-Balance doesn't have its own shield to combat Balance damage either. The only spells to weaken them are Tower Shield, Weakness, and Plagues. That's not too much to handle compared to the school specific shields other schools need to face. Balance also does not need a prism because they can simply use spells dealing other school damage, like Elemental Blast, Hydra, and Chimera. Balance really has more going for them than you're giving them credit for.
Life has 90% accuracy. so Balance's is third highest. Other than that, I agree with all of your points.

I think that if Balance gets increased accuracy, so should Ice.

And I believe their are two threads going around right now about how Balance is weak. People, please give them a break.

Survivor
Feb 15, 2009
While I admit you do have a point (The tower shield should be in balance, I'm super cereal), I'd have to disagree on the whole "Weakest School" Bit. On my Balance Character (Who, by the way is my main character, the one I use most often when playing.) I went practically all the way through Krok on my own. Sure, I was a way higher level than all the bosses, but I still did it solo. If you focus in Balance and tack on something else with higher damage (*Cough Cough*I'mlookingatyoustorm*Cough Cough*) you can be pretty dang powerful solo. Use lots of blades and traps, and get gear that give you a little bit of oomph in the damage department.

~M.E.B

Explorer
Nov 23, 2011
I also disagree that Balance is weak at all, let alone the weakest. I had a life wizard at 95 and my Ice and Myth wizards in the 60s when I started my balance wizard, and wound up binging on her. She has cruised to 90, and it was only toward the end of Avalon that she began needing help in boss fights. I think Balance is less straight-forward than other schools, but that does not make them weak.

-Michael

Champion
Dec 03, 2012
Survivor
Jul 30, 2013

~Balance Master Ryan~
Well Ryan I thank you are Wong about balance being the weakest of all the schools Is the weakest it gives life but gets nothing in return fire Is the strongest to bad

Steven owl heart

Survivor
Apr 23, 2009
Haley MoonHeart on Mar 21, 2014 wrote:
Life has 90% accuracy. so Balance's is third highest. Other than that, I agree with all of your points.

I think that if Balance gets increased accuracy, so should Ice.

And I believe their are two threads going around right now about how Balance is weak. People, please give them a break.
Actually, I was excluding the 100% accuracy spells because they don't really represent the fizzle chances each school has. I was meaning that Life had the highest accuracy, while Death and Balance had the second highest accuracy.

Defender
May 29, 2013
No school is the weakest. You just need to work with what you have and stop asking for handouts.
The only thing worth agreeing with here is the blade thing, as it IS pretty annoying to waste one every time they cast a weakness or shield.
  • I've seen Wizards of all schools lay the smack down on other wizards quite easily.
  • I agree that Hydra and Chimera aren't the best spells to use, since the hits themselves aren't very strong, but then again they add up. Many good balance wizards have destroyed with these spells
  • The tie for second-best accuracy isn't something to complain about
  • The healing thing isn't an issue if you know what you're doing (but then again, that goes for every other problem in the game.) It definitely beats wasting 4 pips on a Satyr (unless there's life mastery or Life wizard). Other schools have to have Life Mastery to avoid destroying their pips to heal. Balance doesn't need it
  • There are no shields against Balance, besides Tower and Natural Resist
  • Power isn't even an issue. It's quite balanced. Tied for 3rd highest output behind Fire and Storm, and tied with Myth or Death.
  • It's proven to be the hardest to get the "1 In A Million" Badge with Balance, yet there are plenty of Balance Wizards that boast having it
  • The only thing I suggest for Balance School is direct healing and not HoT via Avail and Helping Hand
  • Balance School isn't made for reaping souls like Storm or giving life like, well........... Life. It's made to buff your team, not be some hero
This whole post is just a pile of complaints
Work with what you have, or give up the school

Alexander Earthbane Lvl 84
Aedan Blade Lvl 48
Logan Lvl 32
Alexander Firebane Lvl 24
Flint Stone Lvl 23

Survivor
Apr 23, 2009
LIFE WIZARD74203 on Mar 22, 2014 wrote:
Well Ryan I thank you are Wong about balance being the weakest of all the schools Is the weakest it gives life but gets nothing in return fire Is the strongest to bad

Steven owl heart
"Weakest school" doesn't really mean how hard it hits. Life is not a weak school when it comes to healing.

You probably mean by how much damage each school can hit. If that's the case, Life is not the weakest school. Life actually hits harder than Ice on average. Fire doesn't hit the hardest, either. Storm hits harder than Fire.