Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Lets talk about lvl 88 spells...

AuthorMessage
Champion
Dec 01, 2011
Am I the only one who thinks that the 3v1 fight we had in Azteca was harder than the 2v1 cheating boss we had 30 lvls ago?!

Kingsisle, I beg you to bring back the magic in this game, PLEASE!

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
popcicool7777777 on Mar 3, 2013 wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks that the 3v1 fight we had in Azteca was harder than the 2v1 cheating boss we had 30 lvls ago?!

Kingsisle, I beg you to bring back the magic in this game, PLEASE!
no, you are not the only one.

i died 29 times before my balance wizard got her level 88 spell. no one should ever have to go through that~ casual players don't have time for it, and it is quite annoying.

my death wizard is level 85 and will be doing his own quest soon enough. i seriously hope that it's not as ridiculous as the balance one was.

-von

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
I have a wizard just a little bit of XP shy of level 88 and just from the Astral Spell quests, I don't care if I get there or not.

Von, I feel for you. I would not have gone 29 times for it.

3 vs 1 is well beyond reason.

Defender
Dec 31, 2010
I know the feeling, my lvl 58 spell was hard enough for me (57 runs……yes, 57)

and then 88! What now?!

The fact that you can't get help with spell quests annoys me. I would be fine by myself….if they weren't insane.

Champion
Dec 01, 2011
Keira Dreamleaf on Mar 6, 2013 wrote:
I know the feeling, my lvl 58 spell was hard enough for me (57 runs……yes, 57)

and then 88! What now?!

The fact that you can't get help with spell quests annoys me. I would be fine by myself….if they weren't insane.
Yeah and you know what?

They make this because they want to force us to buy henchmen. And its not gonna happen. Nope.

Think about it - about 6 hoard packs in one year! No wonder why they released a new pet lvl and games! To make us buy energy with crowns!

I looked at my gear the other day. Most of it was either WW, Crafted, or Crowns (And yes, I do have overpowered gear with my 75% damage 295 critical, with 34% resist)

Seems like if you want to succeed, you have to have the $_$

Defender
Jan 25, 2009
popcicool7777777 on Mar 7, 2013 wrote:
Yeah and you know what?

They make this because they want to force us to buy henchmen. And its not gonna happen. Nope.

Think about it - about 6 hoard packs in one year! No wonder why they released a new pet lvl and games! To make us buy energy with crowns!

I looked at my gear the other day. Most of it was either WW, Crafted, or Crowns (And yes, I do have overpowered gear with my 75% damage 295 critical, with 34% resist)

Exactly. It almost seems like we're forced to buy crowns. It's kinda sad actually, back when KI was a low budget company with a single game that was gradually gaining players, they didn't make us pay 300+ for henchmen. They actually improved on things instead of throwing hoard packs at us to stop the weeping. Players didn't have to gather the finest material (Legendary crafting, ugh) just to have good gear, and whether you won in PvP or not didn't depend so much on the pet... this game slowly loses its magic; I can't pin-point it directly, but one thing I'm sure about is, the amount of crowns we've been having to spend is a contributor.

I need a break from this game lol.

Champion
Dec 01, 2011
KorekuEternal on Mar 8, 2013 wrote:
Exactly. It almost seems like we're forced to buy crowns. It's kinda sad actually, back when KI was a low budget company with a single game that was gradually gaining players, they didn't make us pay 300+ for henchmen. They actually improved on things instead of throwing hoard packs at us to stop the weeping. Players didn't have to gather the finest material (Legendary crafting, ugh) just to have good gear, and whether you won in PvP or not didn't depend so much on the pet... this game slowly loses its magic; I can't pin-point it directly, but one thing I'm sure about is, the amount of crowns we've been having to spend is a contributor.

I need a break from this game lol.
Exactly, and you know what? The first arc is where I belong. The spell quests where you had to get some TC and try 2 or 3 times before gaining their spell (Thief of spells, I was thinking of you when writing this)

But now, here we are, with our crazily underpowered wizards, facing some 6 and 7 power pips starting Boses with twice our health and its 2 overpowered minions trying to survive while they use all their pips during 4 rounds.

Is it magical? No. At all.

Survivor
Dec 16, 2008
Hi,

Sure the quest is very hard, but isn't that what we look for in this game? Everyone wants a challenge to keep the game fun, don't they? I find it fun that it is such a challenge to acquire the level 88 spell.

-Joshie

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
popcicool7777777 on Mar 8, 2013 wrote:
Exactly, and you know what? The first arc is where I belong. The spell quests where you had to get some TC and try 2 or 3 times before gaining their spell (Thief of spells, I was thinking of you when writing this)

But now, here we are, with our crazily underpowered wizards, facing some 6 and 7 power pips starting Boses with twice our health and its 2 overpowered minions trying to survive while they use all their pips during 4 rounds.

The thing that I liked best back then was the battles were slow and relaxed so you can enjoy the battles, now it feels like we're forced to do the battles.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
JoshuaGhostblade98 on Mar 9, 2013 wrote:
Hi,

Sure the quest is very hard, but isn't that what we look for in this game? Everyone wants a challenge to keep the game fun, don't they? I find it fun that it is such a challenge to acquire the level 88 spell.

-Joshie
A challenge is one thing, Insanity is a whole different ballgame. The Spell quests in Az are insane. The Astrals for the most part are useles.. The only ones I find to be of use are the Sharpened blade and Potent trap. As for the rest, not wasting training points on them. If we could dump about half of the spells in our spell books, we might actually be able to configure a great working deck or two.

What I see and hear from a lot of players is the fact that they are having to buy Henchmen of which some are usless, but it is a PAY TO WIN situation. I won't hire henchmen and if I can't beat the quest after a couple of times (not more than 5 times) trying and tweaking my deck, then forget it. It is not worth it.

Champion
Dec 01, 2011
DragonLady1818 on Mar 10, 2013 wrote:
A challenge is one thing, Insanity is a whole different ballgame. The Spell quests in Az are insane. The Astrals for the most part are useles.. The only ones I find to be of use are the Sharpened blade and Potent trap. As for the rest, not wasting training points on them. If we could dump about half of the spells in our spell books, we might actually be able to configure a great working deck or two.

What I see and hear from a lot of players is the fact that they are having to buy Henchmen of which some are usless, but it is a PAY TO WIN situation. I won't hire henchmen and if I can't beat the quest after a couple of times (not more than 5 times) trying and tweaking my deck, then forget it. It is not worth it.
I know. If I use a Blade Combo (Sharpened, Regular, Item) the damage will be 2x better than Sun Serpent on my Meteor Strike.

But I did it SOLO just for the satisfaction to have my spell :)

Explorer
Apr 09, 2011
DragonLady1818 on Mar 10, 2013 wrote:

i hear you GD18.

it is is insane. especially for the storm spell quest.
you have to have highly geared pets and maybe a spell from the recipes like deer knight.
the storm quest is such. if you have no recipe spells or a pet with 9% proof and spritey do not even bother with it or use level 50 fire henchmen. there is a method to do it but it takes luck and timing. otherwise you have to do it various amount of times.it would be like 30-40 times. storm is definitely Pay TO WIN.

i do know KI did nerf the myth spell quest as even with two henchmen people still couldn't get it. and i know they changed the fire quest by making the boss life instead of fire.

the balance and the death spell quest i was able to do without henchmen. again it is the gear and pets.

the casual player or players with moderate skills and/or equipment which is the most common sort are resorting to henchmen.

Survivor
Mar 23, 2011
AstroStorm on Mar 9, 2013 wrote:
The thing that I liked best back then was the battles were slow and relaxed so you can enjoy the battles, now it feels like we're forced to do the battles.
We are being forced to do more in Az. Av and Az especially are set so that you really have no choice as to when you pick up and do certain quests. The storyline is all over the place and lost for long periods of time. It litereally makes no sense. The same is true with the Side quests in both. Spell quests now are much later in the new worlds that by the time you get them, it is almost not worth it.

I don't know if you would be able to decline a side quest without it throwing you off on the main quests. Az is pure grind. I have not been back with my life in over 2 weeks to finish it and not in any rush to do so. She has completed the first 2 spell quests in Az but does not have the desire right now to continue.

With another close friend quitting the game as of tomorrow, it just seems like it is no longer worth the effort to try to continue. Players are frustrated over the effort they have been putting forth for usless rewards.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
popcicool7777777 on Mar 11, 2013 wrote:
I know. If I use a Blade Combo (Sharpened, Regular, Item) the damage will be 2x better than Sun Serpent on my Meteor Strike.

But I did it SOLO just for the satisfaction to have my spell :)
My fire wiz is using Meteor, Scald, and Phoenix more that she has in the last 3 worlds. She does load a couple of Firedragons but that is all. Even for Boss battles, she only loads 2 Efreets at the most just for that off chance she can use it but will stick to the lower rank spells for faster hits. Her resists aren't high enough to go for those one hit kills. She does not have WW robe but is using a Zf crafted robe and boots that does give her high Block.

Champion
Dec 01, 2011
DragonLady1818 on Mar 12, 2013 wrote:
My fire wiz is using Meteor, Scald, and Phoenix more that she has in the last 3 worlds. She does load a couple of Firedragons but that is all. Even for Boss battles, she only loads 2 Efreets at the most just for that off chance she can use it but will stick to the lower rank spells for faster hits. Her resists aren't high enough to go for those one hit kills. She does not have WW robe but is using a Zf crafted robe and boots that does give her high Block.
I have the complete WW set. And trust me - I deserved it. Anyways, I think that giving us spells right after we need them is totaly wrong. Here are the most common spells in my deck: Meteor, Scald, Helephant (Or phoenix, depending on pips) and sometimes dragon. Thats it.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
My Death School wizard turned level 88 last night and i did the school spell quest. It was a complete non-event. Seriously, not trying to brag. I just went and killed a some bad guys and Dworgen gave me the spell.

It was very simple. No strategy required. The dungeon had three guys that weren't tough at all. Walked in, killed them, walked out.

Explorer
Feb 10, 2009
Continuously dying trying to get Sabertooth. I don't understand why the lvl 68 spell quest only had us defeat a boss and now we have to fight a boss and two henchman?? That doesn't make sense. Balance doesn't do well against mana burn, weakness, black mantle and tower spamming. I really wish they would take away the minions, or at least let friends port in.

Explorer
Dec 02, 2010
popcicool7777777 on Mar 7, 2013 wrote:
Yeah and you know what?

Amen to that! For anyone that doesn't believe you need money to have a chance at this game, I dare you to go on the W101 Central wiki and compare the power of various crown wands versus in-game wands (whether crafted, no auction, or dropped).

Here, let me throw a couple out for you!

Hungry Caiman's Staff (Level 80+, Myth crowns wand)
Coatl's Sharp Obsidian Kiss (Level 85+, Myth crafted in-game wand)

...And sadly, you can find many, many more examples of in-game wands being drastically inferior to crowns wands. Now, I sort of get the fact that people pay real money for crowns items and that's why they are powerful like they are..but do the in-game wands have to be so...weak in comparison? I don't think you can continue to ignore the facts after that kind of evidence. W101 is essentially now Pay-to-Win.

W101 is becoming slowly becoming like MAPLESTORY (in that regard).

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Yohko86 said:

"For anyone that doesn't believe you need money to have a chance at this game..."

My level 88 Death Wizard would disagree.
- First time wizard, started playing in October
- No crown gear
- No crown pet
- No perfect pet
- Never hired Henchmen (not once)
- One(1) crown purchased mount
- No power leveling
- No shared banking gear from other wizard
- No waterworks gear
- Never used die-port-die-port strategy
- Very rarely die
- Solo almost entire main quest and most side quests
- Hardly ever use tc's (just reshuffle)
- Purchased 3 houses with in-game gold
- Team play with others for fun
- Currently questing in Alto Alto

Of course you must purchase your monthly memberships to play the game.

But I do strongly agree with Yohko that offering crown items that are superior to in-game items is not right.

Happy Wizarding!

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Energeia on Mar 18, 2013 wrote:
Amen to that! For anyone that doesn't believe you need money to have a chance at this game, I dare you to go on the W101 Central wiki and compare the power of various crown wands versus in-game wands (whether crafted, no auction, or dropped).

Here, let me throw a couple out for you!

Hungry Caiman's Staff (Level 80+, Myth crowns wand)
Coatl's Sharp Obsidian Kiss (Level 85+, Myth crafted in-game wand)

...And sadly, you can find many, many more examples of in-game wands being drastically inferior to crowns wands. Now, I sort of get the fact that people pay real money for crowns items and that's why they are powerful like they are..but do the in-game wands have to be so...weak in comparison? I don't think you can continue to ignore the facts after that kind of evidence. W101 is essentially now Pay-to-Win.

W101 is becoming slowly becoming like MAPLESTORY (in that regard).
Very well stated.

As Popcicool stated it is as if they want to force us to buy henchmen which for the most part are usless. I WON'T buy them. I have in the past used the level 40 Life and Death henchmen but will not use the higher ones and the lower ones don't last long enough in Av or Az.

I am fortunate enough to have a wonderful friend that has gifted me the level 90 (crowns) Life wand. I would not have bought it for myself and had never even mentioned it to anyone. Crowns Items are not an option for a lot of players. At one time there was drops that were fairly equal to SOME of the crouwns items, but now, if you want to beat the Spells quest, as you say, it is PAY-TO-WIN. Not happening with me. If I don't beat it, at least I went in FAIRLY and gave it my best shot.

Champion
Dec 01, 2011
RottenHeart on Mar 18, 2013 wrote:
Yohko86 said:

"For anyone that doesn't believe you need money to have a chance at this game..."

My level 88 Death Wizard would disagree.
- First time wizard, started playing in October
- No crown gear
- No crown pet
- No perfect pet
- Never hired Henchmen (not once)
- One(1) crown purchased mount
- No power leveling
- No shared banking gear from other wizard
- No waterworks gear
- Never used die-port-die-port strategy
- Very rarely die
- Solo almost entire main quest and most side quests
- Hardly ever use tc's (just reshuffle)
- Purchased 3 houses with in-game gold
- Team play with others for fun
- Currently questing in Alto Alto

Of course you must purchase your monthly memberships to play the game.

But I do strongly agree with Yohko that offering crown items that are superior to in-game items is not right.

Happy Wizarding!
We Casual Players are a minority compared to the Players who enjoy a challenge. Some have the skills, timing, and preperation, as well as proper mindset to be able to enjoy a challenge. Even though it is understandable that the feeling of Victory is greater the more the challenge is big. That I can understand.

But the opportunity of creating your own challenge cannot be missed. How about using Zafaria gear instead. Is Azteca still doable?

Sure, Malistare Drake is easy. But with some MooShu Gear and up to level 50 spells?

See, you Hardcore Gamers have the choice of creating your very own challenge. But how can we make this easier? Oh yeah, of course, farming Waterworks 4638293382709883737101919282828373737328101919012838383873746557848492383839382829282928101929101929101922928201912927447792729182828928 time could work. No. How about staying on for 727 hours and passing greater oportunities in the real world? No.

Or, maybe by buying crowns for 80$ and not getting the right gear we want in hoard packs? No.

See, the players who have the time and/or the money to spend on extra crowns will succeed. Again, its a pay to win situation.

As always, thanks for your politeness and your understanding.

#TheCasualPlayers

Survivor
Jun 17, 2011
I don't know what the other schools quests are like but for Death i've never had a problem with their spell quests even in Azteca(though it was way more challenging). As for the Astral spell quests they do let your friends in not sure if that was around when you posted though.

The only thing i can say to help with the bosses is to change gear and experiment to see what works for you. When i was getting Bone Dragon i stacked all my gear to make my Death resist 75% or something around there and my attack was at around 70.

With the pay-to-win i agree, though only with the wands if i used a drop wand i wouldn't have survived the critical of some bosses in Azteca.

Good luck questing-Deathrider

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
popcicool said:

"See, the players who have the time and/or the money to spend on extra crowns will succeed. Again, its a pay to win situation. "

Yes crown purchases provide short cuts. But the game is supposed to take a long time. If KI hadn't made the worlds sufficiently large people would be complaining that its way too small and its a crumby small-scale game. Its supposed to take weeks, months, even years to complete some things.

Certain dungeons are made challenging as a test before letting you move on elsewhere in the game. If you can't complete the test then you just aren't ready yet. Get better gear, level up more, or practice and learn better strategy.

There is certainly no shame in slowing down a bit. Have some fun with side quests. Farm bosses for interesting stuff (like free easter stuff from Lord Nightsgade!). Help out strangers. The spiral isn't a race. Focus on enjoying the game, not completing it. The best rpg's have no finish line.

Happy Wizarding!

Champion
Dec 01, 2011
RottenHeart on Mar 24, 2013 wrote:
popcicool said:

"See, the players who have the time and/or the money to spend on extra crowns will succeed. Again, its a pay to win situation. "

Yes crown purchases provide short cuts. But the game is supposed to take a long time. If KI hadn't made the worlds sufficiently large people would be complaining that its way too small and its a crumby small-scale game. Its supposed to take weeks, months, even years to complete some things.

Certain dungeons are made challenging as a test before letting you move on elsewhere in the game. If you can't complete the test then you just aren't ready yet. Get better gear, level up more, or practice and learn better strategy.

There is certainly no shame in slowing down a bit. Have some fun with side quests. Farm bosses for interesting stuff (like free easter stuff from Lord Nightsgade!). Help out strangers. The spiral isn't a race. Focus on enjoying the game, not completing it. The best rpg's have no finish line.

Happy Wizarding!
I dont want to get into a fight there... but have you read my whole post??!

I wasnt even talking about what you told me. WHEN did I talked about the game's lenght?

What I am trying to say is that if you guys (hardcore players) want a challenge - you have the chance to make your own.

But we do not have the chance to make it easier.

Sorry, but I have a problem here.

Explorer
May 17, 2009
popcicool7777777 on Mar 8, 2013 wrote:

I too am a first arc person. Azteca is a chore more than a fun challenge. I was all motivated from Avalon and when I got to Azteca I got bored and tired, very quickly. I used to be a "hardcore" player, as I once soloed the whole game up to CL in less than four weeks (I was very focused on the game.) But Azteca finally persuaded me to play like a casual player, then after a while it made me not play at all. I didn't even enjoy my favorite worlds (MooShu, Marleybone, Krokatopia.) I used to LOVE this game, as I would always log on and never get off, but as I leveled up and got into the higher worlds, my intensity level went down. I am probably no longer going to play this game. Azteca in a nutshell: Long, work, exhausting.