Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

So When Will We Be Allowed to Change Our Names?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 04, 2016
I think that it would be a really bad idea to be allowed to change our names
i don't know if anyone ever thinks of this but we star people for our favorites or we look
for a certain name to see if our friend is on and if they randomly change the name
and we don't know then we might not think its them or delete them or not even
know that they are on. i just think it would be too confusing

Defender
Feb 22, 2016
dayerider on Apr 5, 2016 wrote:
There have been suggestions in the past to make the friends list tied to account names and not wizard names. The argument FOR it was, "It wont matter which wizard they're on, I can always find them" and "It would multiply, by a lot, how many wizards we could have on our friends list because one account can hold 6 wizards". The argument AGAINST it was the security issues, that if people chose poor passwords,m they could get their wizards stolen. All in all, changing a name should be easy to do (the process to change it not necessarily the process to program it into the game)
I said a unique account name that would differentiate you from everyone else.

Not username! who on earth would want their log in credentials prominently displayed to the general public, or even friends and family?

So yes, the two of you did misunderstand.

Defender
Feb 22, 2016
dayerider on Apr 3, 2016 wrote:
wont cost me a thing to change my name. if it costs actual dollars, I wont do it; end of story. I think you're being a little over-dramatic about how it would influence the game.
Name change tokens are generally marked as premium items and therefore cost money.

At least that's the way it usually goes. Who knows, maybe they'll add the option to buy with in game currency. *shrugs*

As for the impact of having your friends list cleared, there's nothing over-dramatic about it.

What I said was the simple truth, nothing more, nothing less.

Defender
Feb 22, 2016
Soul330 on Apr 3, 2016 wrote:
That's a great idea, and it sounds like the easiest solution to the problem!
Right?

No more guessing who is who.

Awhile back I had a friend, who had the same mount, and the same clothes, and the same name, and his friend ported to him and couldn't figure out which of us was which.

A unique name that leaves no question of who you are is more or less a must.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Uncle Sweeney on Apr 6, 2016 wrote:
I said a unique account name that would differentiate you from everyone else.

Not username! who on earth would want their log in credentials prominently displayed to the general public, or even friends and family?

So yes, the two of you did misunderstand.
alas, it is you who misunderstood. *I* never said any of what I posted. I stated quite clearly that there were arguments for and against, and listed the arguments. Those werent MY arguments. In your admirable haste to want to uphold account security, you allowed yourself to misread what i wrote. it's all good though, Im glad you're erroring on the side of player safety :) Have a good day in the spiral

Defender
Feb 22, 2016
dayerider on Apr 6, 2016 wrote:
alas, it is you who misunderstood. *I* never said any of what I posted. I stated quite clearly that there were arguments for and against, and listed the arguments. Those werent MY arguments. In your admirable haste to want to uphold account security, you allowed yourself to misread what i wrote. it's all good though, Im glad you're erroring on the side of player safety :) Have a good day in the spiral
You listed arguments against having your username displayed, misunderstanding what I meant when I said an account name.

"The argument AGAINST it was the security issues, that if people chose poor passwords, they could get their wizards stolen."

I suppose not everyone can be egoless.

That being said, I always find people who own up to mistakes more admirable.

People who vehemently refuse to admit to mistakes, especially when the mistake is minor and understandable, tend to come off as insecure or lacking in strength of character.

It reveals a lot.

As for having a good day in the spiral, I'm taking a break from the game for a bit.

A few recent ill informed transactions and subsequent sales and promotions have left me with a bitter taste in my mouth, but that's another story for another day.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Uncle Sweeney on Apr 6, 2016 wrote:
You listed arguments against having your username displayed, misunderstanding what I meant when I said an account name.

"The argument AGAINST it was the security issues, that if people chose poor passwords, they could get their wizards stolen."

I suppose not everyone can be egoless.

That being said, I always find people who own up to mistakes more admirable.

People who vehemently refuse to admit to mistakes, especially when the mistake is minor and understandable, tend to come off as insecure or lacking in strength of character.

It reveals a lot.

As for having a good day in the spiral, I'm taking a break from the game for a bit.

A few recent ill informed transactions and subsequent sales and promotions have left me with a bitter taste in my mouth, but that's another story for another day.
no, I simply listed the arguments people have had. it's ok though. Either KI will do this, or not. At the end of the day, I would like to see the feature, but it wont make or break the game for me

Explorer
Feb 10, 2012
I honestly don't see how there can even be an argument against name-changes. Pretty much every other big MMO out there allows it, and there aren't any issues.

Defender
Feb 22, 2016
Soul330 on Apr 7, 2016 wrote:
I honestly don't see how there can even be an argument against name-changes. Pretty much every other big MMO out there allows it, and there aren't any issues.
Like I've been saying, it's unique to this online community, hence why I'm flabbergasted.

Defender
Feb 22, 2016
dayerider on Apr 7, 2016 wrote:
no, I simply listed the arguments people have had. it's ok though. Either KI will do this, or not. At the end of the day, I would like to see the feature, but it wont make or break the game for me
Right, you listed the arguments people had- against having your username displayed.

Like I said, you misunderstood. Nobody here is saying usernames should be displayed.

A unique name tied to your account, just a display name, something that sets you apart.

Heck, they could even have a policy forbidding your display name from matching your username.

Likewise, I'd like to see this feature implemented, but I'll live if they don't.

It seems like a wasted opportunity not to capitalize on all this want though.

- and of course, once they do add it, there can stop being a billion threads about this.

Seriously, I don't think they understand.

For as long as this game exists, there will be players wanting to change their names. It's inevitable.

Survivor
Dec 15, 2010
Hi everyone. Back in 2014 I contacted the Customer Support to change my name, since it is quite embarrassing(Tyler Unicornleaf). They replied to me with this. ''We're sorry for the inconvenience, but there is no way to change a character's name, gender, or physical features. In Wizard101, the School of Focus of a character cannot be changed. In Pirate101, the Pirate Class of a character and the character's flag cannot be edited as well. You'll simply have to create a new character with the desired traits. Let us know if you have other questions or concerns''. I guess we'll never get that feature.

Defender
Feb 22, 2016
TylerUnicornguy on Apr 10, 2016 wrote:
Hi everyone. Back in 2014 I contacted the Customer Support to change my name, since it is quite embarrassing(Tyler Unicornleaf). They replied to me with this. ''We're sorry for the inconvenience, but there is no way to change a character's name, gender, or physical features. In Wizard101, the School of Focus of a character cannot be changed. In Pirate101, the Pirate Class of a character and the character's flag cannot be edited as well. You'll simply have to create a new character with the desired traits. Let us know if you have other questions or concerns''. I guess we'll never get that feature.
I too actually contacted customer support once about this issue and received a similar response.

Right now, it simply isn't an option.

However, this is the section of the message board where we suggest improvements to the game.

Things might change in the future.

I mean, if KI pays attention to the message boards, they'll know a lot, A LOT, of players want these changes.