Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is Anyone Else Feeling a Little Burned Out?

AuthorMessage
Hero
Feb 26, 2012
After this last update with Castle Darkmoor and the other dungeons, something just kinda fizzled in me regarding this game. I (and several other voices on these threads) have been asking over and over again for a return to the fun family-friendly light-hearted game that Wizard101 started out to be. But the game keeps barreling along into harder and harder things.

I'm getting tired of even trying to post about it anymore, and wondering if the game is too far gone to bother with anymore. My oldest daughter rarely plays now, and though my youngest daughter thinks she would like to start, I'm not sure that will happen, since I may not keep up the subs. It was fine when the spirit really was family friendly. But with this new hard-edged spirit in the game, I'm not so sure about it.

Personally, I found the new lower level dungeons about right for my higher level wizards to go through and still enjoy. Darkmoor I don't even want to try -- it is just a waste of time and a source of frustration to spend hours fighting cheating bosses, for the slim chance of moderate rewards.

Usually this time of year with the holiday stuff and all, I am really loving the spiral. Usually I have been eager for new updates. This year, not as much. I loved the light joy this game had. But there is a heavy feel in the spiral now, too much seriousness, too much competition. It leaves me feeling a little burned out.

Anybody else feeling this way?

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
I agree 100% about the family-friendly, lightheartedness being almost completely gone from the game. I have one wizard who is level 97, and that's where she's going to stay. My son logs on every once in awhile, my main wizard is just fishing, and I think I've run the first two new dungeons.

A return to more fun and less grinding would be delightful, but I think it's up to us-the casual players-to design our own adventures within W101. What's funny is that I have spent quite a bit of money on this game, as have many, many other casual players, so it does leave me a bit befuddled as to why our voices are rarely heard.

Finn, have a wonderful holiday, and know you have a lot of people who feel the same way you do.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
After this dungeon update, I think a lot of people became more certain about what their priorities are for Wiz101.

I have a suggestion thread somewhere in the dorms about random quest generation that would be great for casual or family-friendly play. It requires coding, but would use the NPCs and worlds that already exist. Storylines would be pretty simple to ad lib. If nothing else, it would hold players over until KI releases a new world. I didn't get any positive comments on it though.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
I did them in test. I've soloed the first few in live realm on some wizards. For the most part I've been just logging in, checking gardens, training pets, fishing and leaving since the new update. Aquila and Loremaster worked in between worlds last time to keep some interest. This update just doesn't do it for me. Those who know me in these forums know that I'm not one to shy away from challenges. This just took all the fun out of it for me though. I can team up and beat these dungeons, but it's completely devoid of any fun at all.

Defender
Jun 02, 2013
As a primarily solo player I feel much of your frustration regarding Wizard101's latest endgame content. The new dungeons are great at the lower levels, with all the new-er looking mobs/bosses, and the A.I. is stepped up as well making it more difficult for the average player. The level 100 dungeon is very challenging with many of the enemies having 40% Pierce or higher, combined with cheats that are triggered by casting Blades.

Unfortunately, for many in the adult world, RL responsibilities take priority over progressing through the Spiral, and so many players get left behind in the dust cloud of those with more time on their hands.

I offer my abilities to those in need, if you would like to establish a meet and greet for future group play in Wizard101. I'm an adult with RL responsibilities, and so my time is valuable, which may limit my availability to assist you. NOTE: I don't wish to "carry" anyone through progression. There are 3rd party websites which already offer such services, but if you are wanting to add a long term gaming partner to your list, or create a new one, and have patience, by all means my door is open.

@Finn,

I am 99.9% with just about every one of your thread posts/responses since I've joined these message boards, and I would enjoy the opportunity to partner up with you in PVE content (I don't PVP).

I play on the Lincoln Realm for it's low pop less drama atmosphere, and I'm on PST time. My play time is somewhat erratic due to RL, but with planning I'm sure I can arrange a block of time for fun.

Hope to hear from you, and best of luck in and out of the Spiral
Happy Holidays,

Gabriel

Delver
Apr 16, 2014
Well last night I finally did the upper level of Caste Darkmoor and had a lot of fun with the team I was with. I loved the challenge and best of all got the best Shadow Robe. The gear that is dropped is awesome and really rounds out all your stats. I for one grew really tired of Hades in Tartraus and did not find it much of a challenge anymore. Casual players who don't have the time or inclination to fight Malistaire are not required to go in. There is plenty of family fun and easier things to do and occupy your time in the spiral. I know plenty of people who play and have a great time that don't feel like doing all the hard dungeons. My Balance is Exalted and enjoying the status immensely. But I am also having a great time starting a new Fire Wizard and going through The Spiral with it and friends. I feel there are so many diverse things to do and accomplish that no need to worry about the dungeons if it is not your cup of tea. Enjoy the more passive activities then, such as fishing, which was an awesome addition this year I may add. There is home decorating, gardening, crafting, plenty of pvp opportunities, either casually with your friends, or rank up in competition. I love farming for various items and pets. I have soloed Hisser quite a few times to get the awesome pet he drops. No need really to complain about the new dungeons. There are lots of people who enjoy those type of challenges and want the great gear. But getting such good gear should not be easy. But the best thing about these add on dungeons is that you are not required to do them to enjoy the game.

Please no Flames! This is truly Just My Humble Opinion.

Scarlet ShadowStone Exalted
Scarlet SwiftRiver Level 26
Scarlet FireEyes Level 23

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
FinnAgainWindrider on Dec 8, 2014 wrote:
After this last update with Castle Darkmoor and the other dungeons, something just kinda fizzled in me regarding this game. I (and several other voices on these threads) have been asking over and over again for a return to the fun family-friendly light-hearted game that Wizard101 started out to be. But the game keeps barreling along into harder and harder things.

I'm getting tired of even trying to post about it anymore, and wondering if the game is too far gone to bother with anymore. My oldest daughter rarely plays now, and though my youngest daughter thinks she would like to start, I'm not sure that will happen, since I may not keep up the subs. It was fine when the spirit really was family friendly. But with this new hard-edged spirit in the game, I'm not so sure about it.

Personally, I found the new lower level dungeons about right for my higher level wizards to go through and still enjoy. Darkmoor I don't even want to try -- it is just a waste of time and a source of frustration to spend hours fighting cheating bosses, for the slim chance of moderate rewards.

Usually this time of year with the holiday stuff and all, I am really loving the spiral. Usually I have been eager for new updates. This year, not as much. I loved the light joy this game had. But there is a heavy feel in the spiral now, too much seriousness, too much competition. It leaves me feeling a little burned out.

Anybody else feeling this way?
This is essentially what I have been talking about in the Castle Darkmoor Nerf! thread in The Dorms. But for me it started even before these updates. Essentially it started back when Azteca was released. Most of my friends had way more time than me, barrelled through Azteca and Khrysalis while I was at work, and now most of them are gone.

Some have unfriended me to make room for new friends who were able to keep up with them. Others have quit playing. Some have even less time than me so we seldom catch one another online. Of all my really good friends that I had gathered in the past 4 years, I've only seen one of them on since August, and that was last weekend. We were going to do Darkmoor on Sunday, but I wound up having to go out and pick something up so I couldn't make it. The friend I saw in August still has me on his friends lists, but he hasn't been on since then... at least not when I'm on.

My daughter doesn't play anymore. When she does, it's only if one of her friends is online and they accept her request to help them. She doesn't quest herself, all she does is look for others to play with. But again, most of her friends are gone too, so of the 5 times she's played this year, she's maybe put in an hour of game time.

I give the developers a lot of credit for the work they've put into the game and the effort they make because the game is beautiful, but the family element that KI promoted so much is gradually slipping away with every update. Younger kids could have a lot of fun in Wizard City. I'd be surprised if you could find many younger kids who have fun in Khrysalis, especially if they happen to join a duel with an infallible strategist. I don't even like joining duels with those people, or perhaps more accurately I don't like it when they join my duels... barking orders, telling me what spells I should cast when they don't even know what cards I have loaded in my deck.

I just don't have fun like I used to. I find myself more frustrated than anything. And it's a combination of so many things. I still like the game, and I'm really trying to get past this bad feeling, but it's hard. I can totally relate to what you're saying.

Explorer
Jul 01, 2009
I feel the same way as the OP. This game used to hold so much magic for me, but the magic started dying a long time ago, with the change in game philosophy that came with the second arc. I remember hearing people wanting more challenge, saying the game was too easy. I know even then where that would one day end up. :(

Unfortunately, I feel that the hardcore players won this battle. They are thrilled with the game as is, and some would like it even harder I'm sure. I just wish the Spiral could have stayed more inclusive of everyone, like it was in the past. Not geared to the top or bottom players, but the middle of the road. I was all for relatively easy storyline quests, with challenge stuff, like Darkmoor on the side, but the problem is that by having the strongest gear in those challenge dungeons, the strong just get stronger, and the average just fall further and further behind. As a result of this, content that the strong (more hardcore) consider easy or moderate, is a nightmare for those players who are under geared, as a result of all the decent stuff being dropped in the challenge dungeons. For those who say one can get by without that gear: how many of you would take a player in bazaar gear through Darkmoor? Everyone knows that gear is key or they wouldn't be farming so hard for it.

My personal way of coping with this dilemma has been to stop playing the level up game. I have two wizards at level 100, with one who has finished the game. They will never see the third arc. I have made that executive decision for them. I have no desire to ruin whats left of the tiny bit of magic that remains in my heart, so my gals are going to go into the decorating business. This way I can still visit with the friends I have remaining, and still enjoy the lower level worlds. Bye bye stress! I know this is not a solution for everyone. I just hope that something can be done to bring the magic back for the average wizard.

Defender
Oct 22, 2012
I pretty much been burnt out for a little while. I am a avid solo player. And the way its going no chance on getting the new spell or gear. I would like to get them, but since solo is what I like and the next world or worlds it doesn't look like that will be a option. I know it's a mmo so I can't expect to be playing. I really have liked the game though.

Explorer
Jun 26, 2012
I miss the level of simplicity we had back in Dragonspyre. It seems like every battle these days is just a stressful battle for time. I don't have the time anymore to grind for 3 hours just to get one piece of gear every 10 runs. My honest opinion is that Wizard101 is supposed to be a FAMILY FRIENDLY GAME, and in the past few major updates I have not seen that. The average 10 year old would not be able to make it past Avalon without help, as I see it. Let alone find the time to spend 3 hours in a dungeon just to be frustrated at the end after not getting anything. Why can't things just be simpler? Throughout the first arc worlds, I remember being able to solo practically everything except some harder dungeons such as Big Ben and the Labyrinth. My first journey through the second arc I had to get help with practically every single boss, and even some street fights. My storm wizard is now sitting in Khrysalis and I honestly haven't any motivation to move him further. My ice is sitting in Celestia with the same fate. Lately I've just been playing on my balance, whom is now in Marleybone, because I am sick of the sheer difficulty of 2nd Arc worlds. Although I know Kingsisle will not listen to our plea, as they never have before, PLEASE nerf the 4 new dungeons.

Sean Firesword Exalted
Sean Stormsword Promethean
Sean Icesword Grandmaster
Sean Magus

Defender
Apr 05, 2013
I personally have no problems at all. I actually like the darker feel, since I like dark things. Don't bash me for this, but I like the higher level worlds a bit better than let's say, Marleybone.

Survivor
Jan 25, 2012
Yes sometimes. The dungeons were getting too hard for me as a level 100 Life wizard, so I created a Storm wizard who is now level 93. I just got into Khrysalis, but the first dungeon for me was so hard, took me a half dozen attempts to finally defeat them. Hours went buy just for just the first dungeon. Had to take a break.

Yes I hate leveling up my pets, but that is really the only way you have a chance at defeating some of the bosses when stuck in a solo dungeon. I suppose I could spend crowns, but I'd rather buy a new pair of shoes than spend a bunch of crown money on a battle in this game.

Also, I just spent about 40 dollars trying to get the Robe of the Furious Winter from Yuletide packs. I never got the robe I wanted. So heartbroken, I almost feel like giving up this game. I've waited all year for a chance to get that robe.

Survivor
Dec 02, 2014
I do love this game very much and I've spent years playing. I made many high level wizards and loved going through each one of them. But I do really miss the older days of the game. Where it wasn't about grinding to get the best gear and turn out on top of everyone else. Spending countless hours training and hatching pets to get absurd stat boosts. Ever since Celestia, the game lost its child-friendly touch. It's now just for seriously competitive gamers. Hope someday we can make that lighthearted feeling back.

Survivor
May 11, 2011
Burnt out sounds about right. Getting to the higher levels, it can get overwhelming. I like to solo, but there are some areas that certain schools are simply not designed to solo, so time is wasted waiting on someone else to join you. Not everyone has a perfect strategy to play the game. I for one will probably never have a spell hit at 10k-15k or more, every battle, as I have seen others. Being able to do that seems to be a requirement as you near the end of Azteca. It is difficult to feel like you are progressing in the game when you get maybe and hour to play, and in the hour you have had tiem to talk to one or two people and defeat on whole boss, and that is providing you did not already die and have to start the battle over. i understand that when new worlds come out they are OP for the die hard fans, but its getting ridiculous. There is too much frustration and it becomes exhausting.

Survivor
Dec 24, 2008
I play 2 accounts at the same time, four wizards in total. After farming darkmoor multiple times on each wizards and still not receiving a WAND I'm completely burnt out. I farmed this place about 20 times and only thing I haven't gotten is a wand. I'm DONE with darkmoor now. Its taken so much time and energy I give up on farming for a wand. I have a full time job as well, so farming darkmoor once a day and not getting anything really did it for me :/

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
Snee432 on Dec 8, 2014 wrote:
I agree 100% about the family-friendly, lightheartedness being almost completely gone from the game. I have one wizard who is level 97, and that's where she's going to stay. My son logs on every once in awhile, my main wizard is just fishing, and I think I've run the first two new dungeons.

A return to more fun and less grinding would be delightful, but I think it's up to us-the casual players-to design our own adventures within W101. What's funny is that I have spent quite a bit of money on this game, as have many, many other casual players, so it does leave me a bit befuddled as to why our voices are rarely heard.

Finn, have a wonderful holiday, and know you have a lot of people who feel the same way you do.
Thanks for the support and the holiday wishes -- same to you!

"What's funny is that I have spent quite a bit of money on this game, as have many, many other casual players, so it does leave me a bit befuddled as to why our voices are rarely heard."

I too have found this puzzling -- I know I have spent a lot of money on this game as well. I know of others, also good paying customers for years, who have recently left the game. It seems very odd to me that our voices seem to be heard so little.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
seethe42 on Dec 8, 2014 wrote:
I did them in test. I've soloed the first few in live realm on some wizards. For the most part I've been just logging in, checking gardens, training pets, fishing and leaving since the new update. Aquila and Loremaster worked in between worlds last time to keep some interest. This update just doesn't do it for me. Those who know me in these forums know that I'm not one to shy away from challenges. This just took all the fun out of it for me though. I can team up and beat these dungeons, but it's completely devoid of any fun at all.
I know you have been a supporter of the challenges -- we have often had our differences on these matters!

But what you last described (" I can team up and beat these dungeons, but it's completely devoid of any fun at all.") is largely how I have felt since Xibalba.

Before this, though I really felt charged to try to do something about it. Now, I just feel tired.

Like you, I have mostly been doing the side activities of gardening and fishing, and only for short times, and less often. I think about logging on, but as often as not I then go do something else instead.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
mmoluvr on Dec 8, 2014 wrote:
As a primarily solo player I feel much of your frustration regarding Wizard101's latest endgame content. The new dungeons are great at the lower levels, with all the new-er looking mobs/bosses, and the A.I. is stepped up as well making it more difficult for the average player. The level 100 dungeon is very challenging with many of the enemies having 40% Pierce or higher, combined with cheats that are triggered by casting Blades.

Unfortunately, for many in the adult world, RL responsibilities take priority over progressing through the Spiral, and so many players get left behind in the dust cloud of those with more time on their hands.

I offer my abilities to those in need, if you would like to establish a meet and greet for future group play in Wizard101. I'm an adult with RL responsibilities, and so my time is valuable, which may limit my availability to assist you. NOTE: I don't wish to "carry" anyone through progression. There are 3rd party websites which already offer such services, but if you are wanting to add a long term gaming partner to your list, or create a new one, and have patience, by all means my door is open.

@Finn,

I am 99.9% with just about every one of your thread posts/responses since I've joined these message boards, and I would enjoy the opportunity to partner up with you in PVE content (I don't PVP).

I play on the Lincoln Realm for it's low pop less drama atmosphere, and I'm on PST time. My play time is somewhat erratic due to RL, but with planning I'm sure I can arrange a block of time for fun.

Hope to hear from you, and best of luck in and out of the Spiral
Happy Holidays,

Gabriel
Thank you for the post, and for you generous offer. I am on eastern time, so getting together may take some doing, but it could be fun. My highest wizard (Finn) has yet to finish Khrysalis, but is close to the end, so I imagine in the final dungeons I will need help. The trick for me is to find a long enough block of time to try it, when I also have the desire to try it. Lately, I'm not up for it -- more in the mode of gardening, fishing, or playing lower level wizards. Also, if you would rather just do lower level things for the fun of it and no dungeon stress, that would be just fine with me. While I will likely need help in the final dungeons, until I get the motivation, there may not be much point in trying them.

But perhaps if we look to a weekend sometime we might be able to manage it. I suspect that week nights the time difference will be too great for me to stay awake.

Anyway, thanks again.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
And to all of you who have posted, whether I single you out by name or not, thanks! It is good to know I'm not the only one feeling this way.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
hopefulz33 on Dec 8, 2014 wrote:
Well last night I finally did the upper level of Caste Darkmoor and had a lot of fun with the team I was with. I loved the challenge and best of all got the best Shadow Robe. The gear that is dropped is awesome and really rounds out all your stats. I for one grew really tired of Hades in Tartraus and did not find it much of a challenge anymore. Casual players who don't have the time or inclination to fight Malistaire are not required to go in. There is plenty of family fun and easier things to do and occupy your time in the spiral. I know plenty of people who play and have a great time that don't feel like doing all the hard dungeons. My Balance is Exalted and enjoying the status immensely. But I am also having a great time starting a new Fire Wizard and going through The Spiral with it and friends. I feel there are so many diverse things to do and accomplish that no need to worry about the dungeons if it is not your cup of tea. Enjoy the more passive activities then, such as fishing, which was an awesome addition this year I may add. There is home decorating, gardening, crafting, plenty of pvp opportunities, either casually with your friends, or rank up in competition. I love farming for various items and pets. I have soloed Hisser quite a few times to get the awesome pet he drops. No need really to complain about the new dungeons. There are lots of people who enjoy those type of challenges and want the great gear. But getting such good gear should not be easy. But the best thing about these add on dungeons is that you are not required to do them to enjoy the game.

Please no Flames! This is truly Just My Humble Opinion.

Scarlet ShadowStone Exalted
Scarlet SwiftRiver Level 26
Scarlet FireEyes Level 23
I agree with you that there are other activities, and if you read through, you will notice that most of us are in fact doing those other activities.

There have also been some great updates in the past year -- fishing, and the Dr. Who-themed-event foremost among them. Both of these I think were great additions to the game. And of course, there are still kind and good people in the game, and there are still many delightful activities.

But the general tenor of the game has shifted, especially as we go forward into new worlds, and to me it has become unbalanced, hard-edged, and competitive. It is not generally kind and friendly -- let alone family-friendly -- in the same way it used to be. It used to be most of the people I played with or ran into were mostly just fun. Now, as often as not, if I do run into others I would rather not play with them, because they get too impatient or bossy (as High Five Ghost mentioned in his post). But at the same time, the content has gotten so much harder, that it is really hard to complete things solo, especially without spending money on henchmen. It is very frustrating.

I also used to be able to handle most everything in gear I got from the Bazaar. Now, even with crowns gear and boss-farmed gear, and pets that I have spent many hours hatching and training, I am still unable to complete a lot of the content in the game without help from others -- and sometimes even with help it is too much for me. And that really is just no fun.

Delver
Oct 18, 2009
There are so many things that leave me burnt out in this game its not even funny. Darkmoor is by far the worst of all of them (that dungeon takes so long that I lose server connection half the times I'm in there) I also don't like playing with people because of the whole super strategists telling me whats wrong with my everything. Yes I know I'm fire, yes my damage is low for my school, no I will not use my only reshuffle on you just so you can leave me up the creek without a paddle when my spells run out.

I get that people like to use the little duelist 101 suggested builds (no hate for duelist 101) but crit and hit doesn't work for everyone and a lot of PvP players who decide to join my PvE battles don't seem to understand that there is more than one way to play your school.

The gear grind is insane with 1 percent and lower drop rates I have to do dungeons literally hundreds of time to get anything worth while (I cant even find the "motes of whatever" for crafting the new decks). Plus with the whole 'perfect team' ideals it can be hard to find a group.

I come to play this game because it lets me have fun and forget about the fact that i cant run and walk like others my age, and forget about all the difficult classes i have to take. Now this game is just another stressful thing on my list

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
I'm sorry you feel that way, but no, I'm more excited about the game than i have been in years. In the past I've had times I wasn't excited, so I know what you mean. I just take a break if I get bored, then it always seems fun again. Right now there are a lot of new things so I'm happy.

Defender
May 09, 2010
In some cases I agree, a little less grinding, more fun. BUT I think that anyone who has a membership that feels bored, can put in a lot more replay value with these new dungeons. But what I don't hope is that these dungeons become a yearly thing. I don't want to try to replace my gear every year. let is sit for a bit, ya know?

Survivor
Jun 05, 2011
I echo your sentiments especially with gear drops, but unfortunately its the way the math works.

The probability of anyone getting a piece of gear is the same no matter how many times you farm it 5% during the first try is 5% during the 500th try too. So it doesn't get any more "fair" as the more times you do it which I admit is quite frustrating with the long hours associated with these dungeons. I think they should give players that have gone through these dungeons for days or weeks at a time, some sense of assurance that they will get what they want after a certain amount of runs. Otherwise you'll never know when (or if for that matter) you're effort is going to pay off.

Blake TitanCaller Lvl 100

Explorer
Jun 13, 2010
I understand how you feel... maybe I am worse in that aspect. I have been playing since 2010 and only yesterday I managed to get my first (main) wizard through celestia. Yes it took me 4 years to get through celestia. I took a long break from wizard101 and created other schools and leveled them up instead just to avoid doing it (also canceled my subscription a couple times). I don't even want to know what zafaria will be like, but one thing is for sure: this game has gotten less fun and more tedious.