Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is Anyone Else Feeling a Little Burned Out?

AuthorMessage
Defender
May 09, 2010
Anyone else notice that to 2 top comments are coming from parents? Well, you guys may see the world differently, and that's understandable. This game ain't for everyone, and it certainly ain't perfect. I've burned out many times before, each time I was so sure that I would never see the spiral again. But I came back every time. I got the time and effort to go through the darkmoor dungeons, which is good, but I completely understand how unfair things seem for those who might not be able to reach their full potential in the dungeons. I wouldn't say that KI is trying to attract that "hardcore" set of players, because to be honest, the dungeon is fairly simple. It's just the TIME that bothers people. That's what I've noticed. And although I got plenty of free time to play this awesome game, I do see why "wasting" time on the dungeons is despicable. But it's just what players have been asking for, A more difficult dungeon with higher level rewards. And no one's forcing you to do it. If you still want gear that's good, there's plenty to buy in the crown shop, and at one point I considered buying it, but Decided not to, and it payed off. (Got the entire Darkmoor set. Lucky me) But the point is, every MMO (some people might not consider this an MMO, but I think it's close enough) has people complaining about difficulty, but just know that it's KI's job to make things as evened out as possible, and user friendly. And as for the dark turns, I say it's a good thing. If everything in this game was super happy, then it wouldn't be that intriguing. Anyways, hope you understand, and i'll cya around in the spiral.

Blaze Stormmancer

Delver
Mar 05, 2013
lettup what's your point about the top 2 comments coming from parents? You started your post off with that, and then lost me.

Delver
Jun 17, 2012
I disagree. I think it will be much easier if you challenge Darkmoor IF KingsIsle releases the next world and you are 110 or something. Just do the regular story and ignore things like Darkmoor for lvl 100. For me, my highest level Wizard is my Diviner at 55 ('overleveled' as I am still in the Survey Camp/Grotto), and I haven't bothered with the Briskbreeze Tower quest since I realized that is where it is going. I won't deal with the Tower of the Helephant until Mid-Zafaria or Avalon. And I am not even good at video/computer games in general, this game included. Just be patient. Things are gonna get easier. . . Ooh, child. . .

David ThunderMancer 55

Delver
Jun 17, 2012
valdushawkflame on Jan 18, 2015 wrote:
lettup what's your point about the top 2 comments coming from parents? You started your post off with that, and then lost me.
I think he's implying that they are biased towards family values.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Nope. I'm not feeling burned out at all. This past year has been awesome. I love all the new stuff.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
lettup on Jan 15, 2015 wrote:
Anyone else notice that to 2 top comments are coming from parents? Well, you guys may see the world differently, and that's understandable. This game ain't for everyone, and it certainly ain't perfect. I've burned out many times before, each time I was so sure that I would never see the spiral again. But I came back every time. I got the time and effort to go through the darkmoor dungeons, which is good, but I completely understand how unfair things seem for those who might not be able to reach their full potential in the dungeons. I wouldn't say that KI is trying to attract that "hardcore" set of players, because to be honest, the dungeon is fairly simple. It's just the TIME that bothers people. That's what I've noticed. And although I got plenty of free time to play this awesome game, I do see why "wasting" time on the dungeons is despicable. But it's just what players have been asking for, A more difficult dungeon with higher level rewards. And no one's forcing you to do it. If you still want gear that's good, there's plenty to buy in the crown shop, and at one point I considered buying it, but Decided not to, and it payed off. (Got the entire Darkmoor set. Lucky me) But the point is, every MMO (some people might not consider this an MMO, but I think it's close enough) has people complaining about difficulty, but just know that it's KI's job to make things as evened out as possible, and user friendly. And as for the dark turns, I say it's a good thing. If everything in this game was super happy, then it wouldn't be that intriguing. Anyways, hope you understand, and i'll cya around in the spiral.

Blaze Stormmancer
You mention comments coming from parents. I find a very large portion of upper world players ARE parents whose kids have long given up on the game.

Explorer
Jan 05, 2013
Seeing as how KI built their reputation as a family friendly MMO-maker, it seems odd that the focus is now more on hardcore gamers whose main interest is farming for PVP gear than the actual storyline of the game. It's VERY offputting. Challenges are one thing, but maintaining a reputation seems like something that KI would be interested in rather than becoming the latest in the line of "this MMO changed and lost the fanbase that made it."

Survivor
Jul 23, 2009
I'm a parent. I'm starting to see that there have been some philosophical changes in the design of Wizard 101. It's more "gamer-y" now, with trickier monsters and other changes that seem unfriendly to more casual players.

I've been on both sides of that line, so it's not that I think "gamer-y" is automatically wrong. But I don't think it fits particularly well with being a game that harried parents can play with their kids. It's an interesting change.

But it leaves me feeling like maybe I should move on...

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Medicio on Jan 21, 2015 wrote:
I'm a parent. I'm starting to see that there have been some philosophical changes in the design of Wizard 101. It's more "gamer-y" now, with trickier monsters and other changes that seem unfriendly to more casual players.

I've been on both sides of that line, so it's not that I think "gamer-y" is automatically wrong. But I don't think it fits particularly well with being a game that harried parents can play with their kids. It's an interesting change.

But it leaves me feeling like maybe I should move on...
I am not a parent. But, as an adult with a job and social obligations, I completely agree with you.

This is not a casual game anymore; I see nothing wrong with a challenge, but those of us who used to play for fun have been completely alienated. The relaxed vibe I enjoyed so much is gone, replaced with a hard-edged, competitive, elitist attitude that has made its way from the arena into all of pve, and it drives me crazy.

I tried farming Darkmoor after a 2-month break (since I have nothing better to do while on medical leave) and, though it's gotten easier to keep track of the myriad of cheats, it's still a tall order for a casual player- someone who doesn't have a perfect team, the best gear/pets, or loads of free time.

I am back as a crowns player for the time being but, unless some major changes are made, I will not be renewing my subs. But I keep coming back to the game itself, because I have hope that the magic will, one day, be restored to the Spiral I once loved.

-von "priorities: i has them" shadowsong

Delver
Jun 27, 2013
Welcome back Von

Hope I see you in the Spiral

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
Antonio Shadowbrea... on Jan 21, 2015 wrote:
Seeing as how KI built their reputation as a family friendly MMO-maker, it seems odd that the focus is now more on hardcore gamers whose main interest is farming for PVP gear than the actual storyline of the game. It's VERY offputting. Challenges are one thing, but maintaining a reputation seems like something that KI would be interested in rather than becoming the latest in the line of "this MMO changed and lost the fanbase that made it."
Well said!

Survivor
Jul 05, 2009
I agree! They are losing the magic of what Wizard101 was... now it's more of a grind than fun lately, You don't have to make the dungeons that much of a grind or put in cheats in a way that frustrates gamers (stop taking the easy way out) so much. There are ways to make it a challenge but still fun. I too am looking at pulling my subscriptions, my kids don't play it much they say too much repetition, there are other RP games that are free and less stressful.

Poor Spiral..... :(

Defender
Mar 28, 2011
I was kind of bored a couple years ago, but not now. There is so much more to do.

Survivor
Dec 22, 2013
I completely agree with this. Many of the players who want more of a challenge, are ignoring the fact that this game isn't just adults, it's more children than it is adults. The players need to consider and understand than a ten year old child is NOT going to be able to solo Tartarus, Castle Darkmoor, or just some of the worlds in general. And by the way I am not an adult, and I still agree with this. It seemed that when I was in Celestia, I had to have help with every boss. I had to sit for countless minutes on team up just waiting and hoping someone would join me. And what really makes me sad is that when you finally get to a quest that is just to much for you and you leave the game for a while, and then you almost completely never get on. And most battles are so frustrating, not just boss battles, but collect and regular battles. I remember walking around Wizard City having the time of my life, but by mid Dragonspyre, last part of Celestia, I was a little annoyed and frustrated. They really need to bring back the happy cheery, and Family Friendly game they first came out with. But I will say Morganthe was a cool villain to have, but the trouble you go through just to end up watching her fall through a glass floor in Krhysalis, is not fun. The game is getting to difficult and I wish the KI staff would realize that.

Survivor
Nov 25, 2009
Sierra Deathshade on Jan 31, 2015 wrote:
I completely agree with this. Many of the players who want more of a challenge, are ignoring the fact that this game isn't just adults, it's more children than it is adults. The players need to consider and understand than a ten year old child is NOT going to be able to solo Tartarus, Castle Darkmoor, or just some of the worlds in general. And by the way I am not an adult, and I still agree with this. It seemed that when I was in Celestia, I had to have help with every boss. I had to sit for countless minutes on team up just waiting and hoping someone would join me. And what really makes me sad is that when you finally get to a quest that is just to much for you and you leave the game for a while, and then you almost completely never get on. And most battles are so frustrating, not just boss battles, but collect and regular battles. I remember walking around Wizard City having the time of my life, but by mid Dragonspyre, last part of Celestia, I was a little annoyed and frustrated. They really need to bring back the happy cheery, and Family Friendly game they first came out with. But I will say Morganthe was a cool villain to have, but the trouble you go through just to end up watching her fall through a glass floor in Krhysalis, is not fun. The game is getting to difficult and I wish the KI staff would realize that.
Woah, spoilers. Maybe a warning next time?

Explorer
Jul 01, 2009
I got burned out from the "farming for gear" grind. I know its a big thing in the more mainstream, "dime a dozen" MMOs, but it wasn't such a big focus when Wizzy was more of a casual, family friendly game. Yes, there was farming, but aside from Mali, you could farm single bosses for most end game gear. There was some gear in the Labyrinth, but as I recall those pieces were a level 50 balance sword and some card decks. Also, there was no cheating, so battles were a lot faster, making it much less tedious for the farmer. As a result, farming was a more light hearted, and fun, social event. It may be a social event still, but its anything but light hearted IMO.

If I had wanted a more mainstream type of MMO, that's what I would have started playing. I picked Wizzy specifically because it was different. What I am looking for in a game has not changed. This GAME has changed. Its not what I signed up for, so I feel betrayed and let down.

In spite of that, I decided to stick around for old times sake. I had given up the thought of leveling up anymore because I had no desire to have to farm long, tedious (for me), cheating dungeons, or to craft gear that needs reagents from said dungeons. Without decent gear we all know the game will be much more difficult and the battles a lot longer. No thanks!

So I decided to get into housing. I have yet to do much with it. I thought that it would hold more of my interest than it has, but I guess my burn out has gotten to me more than I thought. I now realize that I really want to be able to continue to keep up with the storyline, but because of the way the game has changed over the years, I am coming to the sad conclusion that I may be hanging up my wizard hat for good once and for all.

Defender
May 09, 2010
FinnAgainWindrider on Dec 9, 2014 wrote:
I agree with you that there are other activities, and if you read through, you will notice that most of us are in fact doing those other activities.

There have also been some great updates in the past year -- fishing, and the Dr. Who-themed-event foremost among them. Both of these I think were great additions to the game. And of course, there are still kind and good people in the game, and there are still many delightful activities.

But the general tenor of the game has shifted, especially as we go forward into new worlds, and to me it has become unbalanced, hard-edged, and competitive. It is not generally kind and friendly -- let alone family-friendly -- in the same way it used to be. It used to be most of the people I played with or ran into were mostly just fun. Now, as often as not, if I do run into others I would rather not play with them, because they get too impatient or bossy (as High Five Ghost mentioned in his post). But at the same time, the content has gotten so much harder, that it is really hard to complete things solo, especially without spending money on henchmen. It is very frustrating.

I also used to be able to handle most everything in gear I got from the Bazaar. Now, even with crowns gear and boss-farmed gear, and pets that I have spent many hours hatching and training, I am still unable to complete a lot of the content in the game without help from others -- and sometimes even with help it is too much for me. And that really is just no fun.
Try changing your strategy when you do fights, it could help your problems with that. But seeing people snark on a game I and many others love so much is hard on me. I want this game to be good for as many people as possible, but saying you can barely handle anything (emphasis on anything there) without the dungeon gear is a overstatement. This game is trying hard to keep people satisfied, but I think broke itself up with the Darkmoor release. I just wish people could look harder and think deeper. I hope for the future of this game, and although many can't see through the hardships now, do not fear: the fog will clear.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Historian
Nov 28, 2010
Black Pearl on Feb 3, 2015 wrote:
I got burned out from the "farming for gear" grind. I know its a big thing in the more mainstream, "dime a dozen" MMOs, but it wasn't such a big focus when Wizzy was more of a casual, family friendly game. Yes, there was farming, but aside from Mali, you could farm single bosses for most end game gear. There was some gear in the Labyrinth, but as I recall those pieces were a level 50 balance sword and some card decks. Also, there was no cheating, so battles were a lot faster, making it much less tedious for the farmer. As a result, farming was a more light hearted, and fun, social event. It may be a social event still, but its anything but light hearted IMO.

If I had wanted a more mainstream type of MMO, that's what I would have started playing. I picked Wizzy specifically because it was different. What I am looking for in a game has not changed. This GAME has changed. Its not what I signed up for, so I feel betrayed and let down.

In spite of that, I decided to stick around for old times sake. I had given up the thought of leveling up anymore because I had no desire to have to farm long, tedious (for me), cheating dungeons, or to craft gear that needs reagents from said dungeons. Without decent gear we all know the game will be much more difficult and the battles a lot longer. No thanks!

So I decided to get into housing. I have yet to do much with it. I thought that it would hold more of my interest than it has, but I guess my burn out has gotten to me more than I thought. I now realize that I really want to be able to continue to keep up with the storyline, but because of the way the game has changed over the years, I am coming to the sad conclusion that I may be hanging up my wizard hat for good once and for all.
I now realize that I really want to be able to continue to keep up with the storyline...

This is basically where my problem stems. It's not KI's fault that half of the people I wound up friending and questing with were either retired or unemployed (or became one or the other over the years).

But what happened is that the dungeons made them ultra competitive over time. We used to run worlds together, but as new worlds were released, they had other friends they were either working with or competing with. So every time a new world came out, they were trying to be the first ones to complete it. Their goal was to finish every world in a new record time, and then they would farm places like Waterworks, Mirror Lake, and Tartarus once their quest logs were empty.

So they're playing all day while I'm working, and they're completing worlds in a week. They're finishing worlds with all 6 of their wizards in the time it takes me to get one or two pairings through.

The odd time when I could actually quest with them, they were in such a hurry to get me through, I couldn't even listen to the NPC's and read their dialogue boxes. Had to rush, rush, rush to catch up to them.

So then that's what creates the need for dungeons like Castle Darkmoor. And I get it. KI needs to keep those customers engaged too. Giving them dungeons to farm with ridiculously low drop rates keeps them busy while KI works on the next content update.

But it alienates those of us who can't do all of those things. We want to be able to get the Darkmoor gear, while it's still relevant. But if we're still trying to fight our way through worlds like Avalon, Azteca, or Khrysalis, we just don't have the time. And quite frankly it's cost me all of my friends.

The ones who have developed an elitist attitude are either too busy or too gone. The ones who haven't developed that attitude just don't want to bother anymore because they aren't having fun neither. And I'm bitter about it. The change in philosophy has more or less cost me all of my friends (in the game). In some sort of twisted, bizarre logic I keep trying to catch up so I can get them back. But in reality I know they're gone so I'm really only chasing shadows.

Meanwhile I've also lost the desire to play with anybody else. So I'm left with feelings of isolation and alienation (even if part of it is my own fault). I'm fine questing alone, but some things I can't do alone so I'm going to be left out. Of my 10 wizards who can do Tartarus, only 3 ever got it done before all of my friends disappeared. I tried soloing it... didn't work out. It's not fun. Even less fun is when you walk away from dungeons like Waterworks, Tartarus, or Darkmoor with nothing of value after putting in all of that time and effort.

Explorer
Sep 27, 2011
High Five Ghost on Feb 5, 2015 wrote:
I now realize that I really want to be able to continue to keep up with the storyline...

This is basically where my problem stems. It's not KI's fault that half of the people I wound up friending and questing with were either retired or unemployed (or became one or the other over the years).

But what happened is that the dungeons made them ultra competitive over time. We used to run worlds together, but as new worlds were released, they had other friends they were either working with or competing with. So every time a new world came out, they were trying to be the first ones to complete it. Their goal was to finish every world in a new record time, and then they would farm places like Waterworks, Mirror Lake, and Tartarus once their quest logs were empty.

So they're playing all day while I'm working, and they're completing worlds in a week. They're finishing worlds with all 6 of their wizards in the time it takes me to get one or two pairings through.

The odd time when I could actually quest with them, they were in such a hurry to get me through, I couldn't even listen to the NPC's and read their dialogue boxes. Had to rush, rush, rush to catch up to them.

So then that's what creates the need for dungeons like Castle Darkmoor. And I get it. KI needs to keep those customers engaged too. Giving them dungeons to farm with ridiculously low drop rates keeps them busy while KI works on the next content update.

But it alienates those of us who can't do all of those things. We want to be able to get the Darkmoor gear, while it's still relevant. But if we're still trying to fight our way through worlds like Avalon, Azteca, or Khrysalis, we just don't have the time. And quite frankly it's cost me all of my friends.

The ones who have developed an elitist attitude are either too busy or too gone. The ones who haven't developed that attitude just don't want to bother anymore because they aren't having fun neither. And I'm bitter about it. The change in philosophy has more or less cost me all of my friends (in the game). In some sort of twisted, bizarre logic I keep trying to catch up so I can get them back. But in reality I know they're gone so I'm really only chasing shadows.

Meanwhile I've also lost the desire to play with anybody else. So I'm left with feelings of isolation and alienation (even if part of it is my own fault). I'm fine questing alone, but some things I can't do alone so I'm going to be left out. Of my 10 wizards who can do Tartarus, only 3 ever got it done before all of my friends disappeared. I tried soloing it... didn't work out. It's not fun. Even less fun is when you walk away from dungeons like Waterworks, Tartarus, or Darkmoor with nothing of value after putting in all of that time and effort.
High Five Ghost, I am with you. Unable to enjoy dialogue boxes and keep on track/levelling up with my friends has always saddens me. So, I solo by choice. Would be nice to enjoy the game with my friends at a leisurely pace. Or, to be able to change gear and adjust deck to match boss would be wonderful. But, my friends want to finish quickly so we rush through in order for them to go and Farm – I don’t get it. I miss the friends I made along the way. I guess it is the nature of the game.
A friend is someone you can hang out with in the commons and Spiral, have fun with throughout the Spiral and depend on when fighting.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012

Ever since getting the snot kicked out of me on my Fire in Avalon, I stopped listening to the dialog. It's just not that important to me anymore. how many times can i hear "blah blah blah.... defeat 27 of these because I'm too lazy to do it myself"...... "blah blah blah....... bring me the head of charlie brown"......... "blah blah blah ..... escort me here". I dont even know, or care, what happened in Khrysalis, because I was blazing thru it soo fast, because of how long it took me in Avalon. I dont think I'll ever care again about what the dialog says, right now (and this could change), all i care about is beating up bad guys and collecting gear/spells/etc

Survivor
Jul 10, 2009
Player here since 2009, off and on. And I play for about a month or two at a time. Having spent maybe a thousand dollars or so over the years, I never regretted a single dollar of my donation nor do I have any buyer's remorse. Why? Because the staff does an amazing job at improving this game. The main theme IS light-hearted and fun! They constantly update and improve, without demanding any money from anyone.. just the measly monthly subscription which isn't much. And the crowns you purchase does not help you as much as the drops you obtain from dungeons!

Everything is obtainable in this game, as long as you work for it. Yes, it all takes time but well-worth the effort.

I have also been a gamer since Diablo first came out, and I have had a chance to try out different games out there. From WoW, to Silkroad to SecondLife to Wartunes, I've tried it all! And all of them pales in comparison to Wizard101.

This game is supposed to make you feel relaxed, while having fun. It's a stress-free environment for me.

If you feel burnt out, take a break from the game for a little while and perhaps try a game called League of Angels. A game where people have to spend 100-200 dollars every 4 days just to stay at top ranks! They have to spend this much money indefinitely just to stay on top.
And the game itself, was designed to make people despise each other. That hatred pushes people to spend more and more money just to spite their oppenents. And it works. I don't know how they do it, but it works.. the game brings out the worst in people, and they don't see it until they leave.

This game is a breath of fresh air, which is why I still come back to it, everytime. The staff of W101 maintains a pleasant environment where people are supportive of each other, and genuinely are happy for what the other person have accomplished in game.

Take a small break, and you'll come back to it wishing you could personally thank and hug each member of the W101 staff.

Have a good day!

Survivor
Jun 08, 2013
For me the little things in the names and dialog like the Easter eggs listening or reading them is one of the things I really like about the game. This last dungeon did kind of get to me. It was made for the elite team. Okay, great I like to solo. Another set of gear that pretty much will pass me by. Then even though it is in the second part of the dungeon dropping a spell in a dungeon set designed for the elite teams. Kind of hit me wrong more then the gear for sure.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012

I really appreciate what you and Black Pearl have said here. I too really enjoy the storyline. For me, a big part of the fun of gaming is being able to be in the story and participate in the story unfolding. It is not about fighting battles and getting fancy stuff to be at the top of everyone else.

But what is happening, is that without fighting the hard battles and getting the fancy stuff, it is harder and harder to keep up with the game at all -- and the story gets lost in the process. The story gets lost because: a) it gets subordinated to the fast-track battle-gear grind; and b) you can't even complete a lot of the content to go on with the story very well. At least, you can't complete the content without a lot of long blocks of time, and help, and frustration -- which again kills the story-aspect of the game.

These were really good insights you two shared, thanks.

Survivor
Jun 08, 2013
With the five boxes event or the new dungeons. You would like to hear the storyline and maybe go through the dungeon slow looking for furniture items that you maybe able to pick up. You get on a dungeon sigil you know you can solo. First time through for you but one of the lower level ones. Someone else pops on next to you. First battle you know the person that came in with you just clicked as fast as they could and going to the battle. Then gripes at you for not being in the battle fast enough for them. They are the sigil jumper trying to boss the person they jumped in on.