Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

This was completely unfair

AuthorMessage
Defender
Dec 08, 2012
Ok so I was on my Fire Character doing some PvP to rank up. I'm Level 86. I thought since I'm only Level 86, I didn't have to deal with Shadow Magic and all. So anyways, I went for a Ranked 1v1 PvP match. When it was time to go to Arena, I went. I then find myself up against someone with SHADOW MAGIC! How?!? I'm a Level 86 Fire Wizard going against someone with Shadow Magic! Luckily I won. I clicked on him and checked his level and stats after the match. He was LEVEL 99! How does a Level 86 Fire Wizard get matched up against a Level 99 Death Wizard? Kingsisle, this was just unfair. And again, I won but still, a Level 86 wizard SHOULD NOT get matched up against a Level 99 wizard. I'm Sergeant and he's private, how does that even work? Actually, I'm not 100% sure that he was or wasn't a Private but still, a Level 86 wizard getting matched up against a Level 99 wizard. Ok so can anyone explain to me how the matching up system works in Ranked PvP? What does the matching system look for when matching you up? Does it look for Level and Rank? Also, what does it look for when you have the "Try All Opponents" unchecked and what does it look for when you have it checked? Because like, I got matched up against someone with Shadow Magic, how unfair. He was a full 13 levels higher then me. What makes the system think a High Level Low Rank vs. Low Level High Rank is fair? Just because the lower level wizard has a higher rank and the higher level wizard has a low rank does NOT make it fair one bit! A person with shadow person going against someone that doesn't have shadow magic isn't fair at all. The person that has Shadow Magic can easily use Shrike and attack and boom, the Lower Level wizard is dead. I think the system should look at the wizards Level AND Rank and only match them with someone that's close to their level and is the same rank that way it'll be a lot more fair then. Even if a Level 50 Warlord with a rank number of 3,950 is going up against a Level 100 Private with a rank number of 05, the Level 100 wizard can EASILY wipe out the Level 50 Warlord by using 1 blade, Shrike, and attack and then the Level 50 Warlord is killed fast. That is an example of how this Ranked PvP system is kinda like, matching up a lower level wizard with someone that's 15+ levels higher then them. I've seen a lot of posts here saying about the unfair Ranked PvP system. Kingsisle should really make the Ranked PvP system more fair like make it look at the wizards Level AND Rank altogether as a whole. High Level Low Rank VS. Low Level High Rank is not fair because the higher level person has way more advantages then the lower level. Does anyone agree with me?

Delver
Jul 05, 2014
Isn't there this button that you check if you're willing to go against anyone with any level to make things quicker? I understand your point. That doesn't sound like a super fair match but if you want someone in your range try making sure that you didn't check that button. ( Sorry was taking a break from ranked pvp so I forgot what its called) Congratulations though! lol

Explorer
Apr 26, 2010
I have faced level difference way larger than that. 13 levels really is not that bad. My team of 2 transcendent wizards and 1 legendary faced 3 level 100s. All 3 of us were privates. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do if there are not many "equal" people that are pvping at the time. I mean i guess i would rather have that happen than wait 2 hours and not get a match at all. Sry it happened though.

Mastermind
Jul 26, 2011
DeathSchoolWizard0... on Aug 20, 2014 wrote:
Ok so I was on my Fire Character doing some PvP to rank up. I'm Level 86. I thought since I'm only Level 86, I didn't have to deal with Shadow Magic and all. So anyways, I went for a Ranked 1v1 PvP match. When it was time to go to Arena, I went. I then find myself up against someone with SHADOW MAGIC! How?!? I'm a Level 86 Fire Wizard going against someone with Shadow Magic! Luckily I won. I clicked on him and checked his level and stats after the match. He was LEVEL 99! How does a Level 86 Fire Wizard get matched up against a Level 99 Death Wizard? Kingsisle, this was just unfair. And again, I won but still, a Level 86 wizard SHOULD NOT get matched up against a Level 99 wizard. I'm Sergeant and he's private, how does that even work? Actually, I'm not 100% sure that he was or wasn't a Private but still, a Level 86 wizard getting matched up against a Level 99 wizard. Ok so can anyone explain to me how the matching up system works in Ranked PvP? What does the matching system look for when matching you up? Does it look for Level and Rank? Also, what does it look for when you have the "Try All Opponents" unchecked and what does it look for when you have it checked? Because like, I got matched up against someone with Shadow Magic, how unfair. He was a full 13 levels higher then me. What makes the system think a High Level Low Rank vs. Low Level High Rank is fair? Just because the lower level wizard has a higher rank and the higher level wizard has a low rank does NOT make it fair one bit! A person with shadow person going against someone that doesn't have shadow magic isn't fair at all. The person that has Shadow Magic can easily use Shrike and attack and boom, the Lower Level wizard is dead. I think the system should look at the wizards Level AND Rank and only match them with someone that's close to their level and is the same rank that way it'll be a lot more fair then. Even if a Level 50 Warlord with a rank number of 3,950 is going up against a Level 100 Private with a rank number of 05, the Level 100 wizard can EASILY wipe out the Level 50 Warlord by using 1 blade, Shrike, and attack and then the Level 50 Warlord is killed fast. That is an example of how this Ranked PvP system is kinda like, matching up a lower level wizard with someone that's 15+ levels higher then them. I've seen a lot of posts here saying about the unfair Ranked PvP system. Kingsisle should really make the Ranked PvP system more fair like make it look at the wizards Level AND Rank altogether as a whole. High Level Low Rank VS. Low Level High Rank is not fair because the higher level person has way more advantages then the lower level. Does anyone agree with me?
I agree with this post. I've seen posts that say that the matching system is very messed up, needs to be adjusted, and well is unfair. Me and my friend have 2v2ed in the past and we've encountered Level 50 Warlords with over 2500 rank and us with about 400-500 rank. After we beat them it just didn't feel as satisfying to me though it did to her because they started trash talking when I ported away Anyways there are ways to counter Shrike like stun, dispel, shield, weakness, mantle/smoke screen and the list could go on. Anyways I do agree the matching system should be fixed
Megan Frostflame Level 100