Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Blades / Traps Indicator

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 11, 2010
I am thinking that keeping track of what blades were stacked or what traps were casted is really hard. I am suggesting the following to indicate which is which:

Sharpened Blade / Potented Traps - Enlarged (bigger than normal)
Treasure Card Blades / Traps - Glowing eg Golden or Silver like pips
Normal Blades / Traps - Normal Color
Pet Blades / Traps - May cast or card should be dimmed (grayed or transparent like ghost)

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Altaire Egoy on Nov 7, 2013 wrote:
I am thinking that keeping track of what blades were stacked or what traps were casted is really hard. I am suggesting the following to indicate which is which:

Pet Blades / Traps - May cast or card should be dimmed (grayed or transparent like ghost)
Good idea but it's a bit more complicated than that.

Normal = normal
Sharp/Potent = dark gold glow
Treasure = light gold glow
Pet = dark silver glow
Pet May Cast = light silver glow
Item = light blue glow
Item Sharp/Potent = dark blue glow

I think it would confuse many peope, but it would be nice to have a clue what someone cast on you in your team when you weren't really watching.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Altaire Egoy on Nov 7, 2013 wrote:

We have talked about this, and I still agree with it. It can get too confusing with all the stacking we can do.

Here is a thread I posted some suggestions on:

www.wizard101.com/forum/the-dorms/blade-and-trap-differentiation-8ad6a415405d07ff0140647aa2e62a33

I still feel there should be a differentiation made and the first step is proper color coding. As I stated in the link above, "Why do Hex/Curse/Feint or Balanceblade/Dark Pact all look the same when they're from 2 different schools?". This is a minor issue that I feel can be fixed easily with some of the ideas I posted

Explorer
Sep 19, 2010
Anything would help, even marking somewhere on the blade itself the numerical value, 35 on the elemental, spirit blades, 45 on the sharpened version, etc.

Explorer
May 17, 2010
I think there is even more confusion because you have traps that have completely different spells like feint, curse, and hex. And then you have traps and blades that are added due to another spell like keeper of the flame, and savage paw.
Although I completely feel your pain and so often wish the same, I think the point or concept is that you need to pay attention.
However, I just had another thought. It won't solve the problem exactly but may also be useful. What if instead of every charm and ward being added separately, if it is the same charm/ward that you just get a 'x2' marking on that charm/ward and then if you get another one it increments accordingly: x3, x4, .... This would also help reduce the number of flying objects and reduce some of the confusing overlap. (i.e. I cast elemental a few times and only use my school, I don't care to see all those copies of the other 2. So just show me 1 copy with the x3 or x4 etc... on it)

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
Keeping track helps. We usually call the buff we are casting, like "trained feint" or "pet balanceblade" but sometimes you can't tell which is which even in your own hand. Sharpen Blade from pet and equipment look exactly the same for example.

Adding an icon or color code to the spells so we know what they are would be a big help.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
I4C gr8ness on Nov 8, 2013 wrote:
I think there is even more confusion because you have traps that have completely different spells like feint, curse, and hex. And then you have traps and blades that are added due to another spell like keeper of the flame, and savage paw.
Although I completely feel your pain and so often wish the same, I think the point or concept is that you need to pay attention.
However, I just had another thought. It won't solve the problem exactly but may also be useful. What if instead of every charm and ward being added separately, if it is the same charm/ward that you just get a 'x2' marking on that charm/ward and then if you get another one it increments accordingly: x3, x4, .... This would also help reduce the number of flying objects and reduce some of the confusing overlap. (i.e. I cast elemental a few times and only use my school, I don't care to see all those copies of the other 2. So just show me 1 copy with the x3 or x4 etc... on it)
on that link I posted, I suggested something similar. I think SOME kind of identification is a good thing and needed. With all the blades/traps/shields/etc, it can be extremely confusing what's what. Heck, even Plague and Virulent Plague look the same and they shouldn't

Survivor
Nov 11, 2010
dayerider on Nov 7, 2013 wrote:
We have talked about this, and I still agree with it. It can get too confusing with all the stacking we can do.

Here is a thread I posted some suggestions on:

www.wizard101.com/forum/the-dorms/blade-and-trap-differentiation-8ad6a415405d07ff0140647aa2e62a33

I still feel there should be a differentiation made and the first step is proper color coding. As I stated in the link above, "Why do Hex/Curse/Feint or Balanceblade/Dark Pact all look the same when they're from 2 different schools?". This is a minor issue that I feel can be fixed easily with some of the ideas I posted
i agree with you

same applies to bladestorm, dragonblade and balanceblade

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Altaire Egoy on Nov 9, 2013 wrote:
i agree with you

same applies to bladestorm, dragonblade and balanceblade
yes, bladestorm/dragonblade/balanceblade/dark pact (from death) all do look the same. There really just needs to be a way to differentiate between all these traps/blades/shields/charms/wards/weaknesses.

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
They certainly need to do something to help us wizards know what the heck kind of blades we have circling us. And help with traps would be handy too. Some of us are older don't have that great of eyesight to see the little icons on traps as the spin around the monster.

There are some good ideas in this thread on how to help wizards gain some clarity regarding blades and traps.

Explorer
Jul 29, 2009
seethe42 on Nov 7, 2013 wrote:
Good idea but it's a bit more complicated than that.

Normal = normal
Sharp/Potent = dark gold glow
Treasure = light gold glow
Pet = dark silver glow
Pet May Cast = light silver glow
Item = light blue glow
Item Sharp/Potent = dark blue glow

I think it would confuse many peope, but it would be nice to have a clue what someone cast on you in your team when you weren't really watching.
I think Seethe42 hit the nail on the head, this sounds like the best method to me. Though I might say:

Trained Sharp/Potent = dark orange glow (because they are sun spells)
Treasure = gold glow

As for identifying between cards that look similar, well bladestorm has two crossed blades compared to balance and dragon blades. For the others, perhaps putting the letter of the spell above or on the back side of the spell, for example, Curse, Hex, and Feint, or Balanceblade, Dragonblade, and dark Pact, or plague(kept normal on purpose) and Virulent Plague.