Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Thaumaturgy?

AuthorMessage
Champion
Feb 06, 2010
Pardon Me,

I have a question that has always bugged me about the proper term in this game. Where did the term “Thaumaturgy” come from? I always thought being an Ice wizard you would be a “Cryomancer”

Cryo= “Involving or producing cold, especially extreme cold.”

Many games use the term “Cyomancer” when referring to a wielder of ice; I just don’t understand where one could get Thaumaturge(y)? (Just like many games use Pyromancer, when referring to a wielder of fire.) Although that would be a major headache to replace every time the games said Thaumaturgy.

I would very much appreciate it if an administrator could enlighten me a bit on where "Thaumaturgy" came from.
(Please don't just toss this aside)

Thank You

Geographer
Jun 06, 2008
Blaze03554 on May 23, 2016 wrote:
Pardon Me,

I have a question that has always bugged me about the proper term in this game. Where did the term “Thaumaturgy” come from? I always thought being an Ice wizard you would be a “Cryomancer”

Cryo= “Involving or producing cold, especially extreme cold.”

Many games use the term “Cyomancer” when referring to a wielder of ice; I just don’t understand where one could get Thaumaturge(y)? (Just like many games use Pyromancer, when referring to a wielder of fire.) Although that would be a major headache to replace every time the games said Thaumaturgy.

I would very much appreciate it if an administrator could enlighten me a bit on where "Thaumaturgy" came from.
(Please don't just toss this aside)

Thank You
Hi! Well, you're not alone, others have wondered in the past as well:

Ice Wizard Name
What Each Fancy Element Wizard Rank Means
Change Them All to Mancers

Many of those who originally came up with those names have left KingsIsle, but I can certainly see if Librarian Fitzhume has some additional insight.

Regardless, it's easy to see that Ice Wizards do indeed perform many miracles of magic!

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
It would seem that ALL wizards are, in fact, Thaumaturges if you go by the base meaning of the term which is simply "worker of miracles".
So, all Ice wizards (or Fire, or Balance, or Storm etc.) are Thaumaturges by definition but all Thaumaturges are not necessarily Ice wizards.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Please don't change them! (Not that you were, but in case you were thinking about it) My Thaumaturge is my first and favoritest wizard!

My speculation is that Thaumaturge does sound a little bit like "thaw" and you have to have frozen something for that to work! I like the actual definition of miracle maker too.

Can't wait to hear Librarian Fitzhume's insight (if he presents it) should be interesting!

Champion
Feb 06, 2010
Dworgyn on May 23, 2016 wrote:
Hi! Well, you're not alone, others have wondered in the past as well:

Ice Wizard Name
What Each Fancy Element Wizard Rank Means
Change Them All to Mancers

Many of those who originally came up with those names have left KingsIsle, but I can certainly see if Librarian Fitzhume has some additional insight.

Regardless, it's easy to see that Ice Wizards do indeed perform many miracles of magic!
I cannot thank you enough for getting back to me Dworgyn, I know you have to keep Mortis fed!

I would love to hear more from Fitzhume as well, when the time comes...