Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What do you think of Pirate101?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 19, 2010
In comparison to Wizard101, I think Pirate101 is very uninspired. The whole combat style kind of ruined it for me. What do you think?

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
cat12ninja on Oct 20, 2012 wrote:
In comparison to Wizard101, I think Pirate101 is very uninspired. The whole combat style kind of ruined it for me. What do you think?
Altho I started a pirate there I was very confused about the entire thing - I plan to take another try at creating another pirate to understand the concept a bit more with the start up instructions.

My handicap is that I am not really a "gamer" and Wizard101 is set up so you are forgiven if you are not a perfect player, I did play Toon Town prior to this because that again was very simple to figure out. I was half way though Mooshu with my first wizard before I really started to get it.

In the end Pirates appears to be more like a board game set up but gets complicated when you factor in Companions, Pets and Ships. Accept for references to characters and locations it is not the same as Wizards101 to play.

Survivor
Sep 12, 2009
i like wizard 101 better. pirate 101 is terrible to me because of the combat system.

i cant believe everyone left wizard 101 to goto pirate 101...

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
I really dont care for it as much as i do wiz101. P101 is a bit confusing and to many people in battles at one time also if i wanted to play chess i would just play chess. Basically thats what its like in battle a chess board.

Defender
Aug 01, 2011
cat12ninja on Oct 20, 2012 wrote:
I think pirate101 is a good game its also very more kid like then wizard101 a quest character said I even stole a cookie from the cookie jar once! But one thing they are missing hall monitors plus there are bad words that are still able to say! But they should have that in november or december dunno hope they fix that though.

Survivor
Feb 01, 2011
I like w101 better, but I do enjoy P101

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
I enjoy them both, I do like how in P101 there are surprises during battles.
I am not that far (level 17) yet but do like it. I like the dual level setup (nautical and pirate) and the ship combat and regular combat.
It seems that KI learned a lot from the mistakes of W101 with P101. The gear thus far has been very gradual in improvement and I have not found anything that was leaps better ahead (like WW/WT gear).
I think they have a good start to the game.
The cons can be worked out. My main gripes are travelling from place to place is time consuming and you cannot leave marks. And the ship equipment is too rigid. There are too many classes of ships, and the equipment is too specialized for them and is mostly non- interchangeable.
It can all be worked out, and the game is new enough that people will accept major changes to gameplay.
I think they run a risk introducing PvP IMHO, as they will start to pit pirate against pirate and fracture the community. It may keep the $ coming in, but will introduce all the things that I see with W101 that detracts from the game atmosphere
pods

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
I love Pirate 101, it is a very unique game and the combat system is different and complex enough to keep me interested. Yes it takes a while to get used to the combat mechanics but once you understand it is like riding a bike. The artwork is also beautiful and I love how the story is interwoven with wizard 101 at certain points. I enjoy both games immensely and now with PvP introduced into Pirate 101 I think I am hooked.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
The real problem, is people try to compare Wizard101 to Pirate101. They are sister games, but they are very very different from eachother. Yes, they are both in the spiral and yes, they are both happening at the same time, but they are very different from eachother.

Different classes/schools, different battles boards, different strategies, but yet a different kind of fun.

Both games are great, but if you go in expeciting it to be the same, you will be disappointed. If you actually try Pirate101 with an open mind and go through the tutorial and listen to the tips and learn to play the game, it is a wonderful game.

You can not compare chess to Pirate101, that is like saying wizard101 is playing chutes and ladders, go figure... No, Pirate101 is not for everyone, but it is a nice change and a fun game!

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Love P101. It's gameplay is diverse and unique. So many different things can happen when you go into battle. It's definitely a different fighting technique, but once you get used to it, it's somewhat addictive.

The storylines are intriguing in each of the different worlds, as well as the main storyline. I love some of my companions, and I think of them as my partners in crime.

So far, I have three pirates that are level 50, one at level 11, and my baby at level 5.

I enjoy both P101 and W101 for different reasons. It's nice to switch between them if I get frustrated in one.

Awesome!

Delver
Oct 26, 2010
Well, here are the things that really annoyed me in P101.
Firstly, I didn't like how slow the ship moves, and how even if you got 50 feet from a ship it would shoot at you, which killed me a couple times because the enemy ships that were rank 12 and 11 would kill me instantly when I was 9 in like Tierra De Brea, Monquista, etc. I didn't like that in most ship battles and boss battles there were 2x or 3x sometimes even 4x the minions for the bosses, that were 5x the amount of companions I had! That means when I am trying to kill (lets say Gortez), I am constantly having little monkeys snatching at me and the big bohemoth Gortez hitting me at an all time high.

The things I liked, were, the battle style! I never really got into those other hand to hand combat games, because I thought they were too complicated, but this game really makes the hand to hand more fun and less complicated than I expected. My favorite thing was getting a quest companion. I loved always looking at the rewards for the quest and when I saw a companion I was really excited. I also love (I forget what its called) where you switch to another place, OH YEA stormgate, I thought this was an amazing idea.

Even though I have quit P101 for a while, to level up my wizards, I am 3 quests away from saving Tonka!