Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Muted...What?

AuthorMessage
Squire
Jun 19, 2009
Hey guys...

I am very dissapointed because I have no idea what happened... But I have a theory.

I got muted for 24 hours...

It all started when I was at the Wu dye shop looking for the Wizard City Protectors so I could join. I found someone, said I was Hunteray09, and asked who they were. Well I asked very badly I guess.

I said, "What is your account name?".

Immediatly, I was muted for 24 hours. Kingsisle, I just want you to know this was a mistake and please don't take it the wrong way. I meant who was she from the message boards... She didn't have open so it was hard to communicate. I am terribly sorry and I hope this doesn't count as an offense. I saw many wizard city protectors come in but I could say nothing but, "Sorry I don't have text chat". Not to mention all the people cussing around me that I couldn't stop.

Kingsisle, please, if you're reading this, it was a mistake please don't count this as an offense at my account... :(

Administrator
We appreciate that our players want to make Wizard City the best it can be, and we've placed the tools in your hand to report players for inappropriate behavior.

We ask that you use the reporting feature to identify truly egregious behavior, such as creative profanity (swearing around the filters), solicitation of usernames/passwords, predatory threats, racist comments and other such actions as outlined in the Terms of Use.

Whether you were asking for their account name on Wizard101 or YouTube or a Fansite is not the issue. You clearly and admittedly solicited account information and were muted immediately for that infraction.

community@wizard101.com
Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
hunteray09 wrote:
Hey guys...

I am very dissapointed because I have no idea what happened... But I have a theory.

It all started when I was at the Wu dye shop looking for the Wizard City Protectors so I could join. I found someone, said I was Hunteray09, and asked who they were. Well I asked very badly I guess.

Immediatly, I was muted for 24 hours. Kingsisle, I just want you to know this was a mistake and please don't take it the wrong way. I meant who was she from the message boards... She didn't have open so it was hard to communicate. I am terribly sorry and I hope this doesn't count as an offense. I saw many wizard city protectors come in but I could say nothing but, "Sorry I don't have text chat". Not to mention all the people cussing around me that I couldn't stop.

Kingsisle, please, if you're reading this, it was a mistake please don't count this as an offense at my account... :(

Don't worry wizard, it does seem you had good intentions they just back fired on you. It is better to meet up with the protectors on wizard101central.com then in game.

You are fortunate in that you apparently are a good wizard and KI took this into consideration in the punishment. This menu chat time will pass a lot faster then the 10 years or banning they can do.

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
Well, a 1 day mute is not the end of the world. And thanks for joining our little autonomous collective (for Monty Python fans).
I never "joined" per se, I just put on the wizard city protector badge and confronted egregious behavior.

That is the beauty of it all. There are no rules of the club. You don't need to join. You only need the desire to see a game where your kids, friends, etc can go without seeing modern life as it is on the outside.

An easy way to help is to help out wizards who may be "stuck" on a quest and need help but do not have the friend list that would actually help them out.
Don't fret, just look at it as KI is actually looking after us!
pods
Chris Nightwraith
Transcended Necromancer
Honorary WCP

Squire
Jun 19, 2009
Professor Greyrose wrote:
We appreciate that our players want to make Wizard City the best it can be, and we've placed the tools in your hand to report players for inappropriate behavior.

We ask that you use the reporting feature to identify truly egregious behavior, such as creative profanity (swearing around the filters), solicitation of usernames/passwords, predatory threats, racist comments and other such actions as outlined in the Terms of Use.

Whether you were asking for their account name on Wizard101 or YouTube or a Fansite is not the issue. You clearly and admittedly solicited account information and were muted immediately for that infraction.

Thanks Proffesor! I will be more careful next time and promise this won't happen again. I am very thankful for your generosity. This thread may be locked now if you wish.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Hey, Hunter~ sorry to hear about what happened. As my dad likes to say, the road to... uh, that place that's all fire and brimstone... is paved with good intentions. :P

If you're looking to join us (the WC protectors), I invite you to come and visit us here:

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/group.php?groupid=5313

Happy trails,
El Veeb

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
@hunteray09,

That is unfortunate. At least 24 hours is not a terribly stringent sanction.

I do want to point out though, using this as an example, that many, many wizards do not have a grasp of the Terms of Use they agreed to when they signed up for their accounts. If a wizard such as hunteray09, a long time player of Wizard101, was not aware that s/he was breaking a rule, imagine how many new players are blissfully ignorant of the Terms of Use?

This is a BIG PROBLEM. We need a clarified and easy to access Code of Conduct or set of Community Standards to help wizards learn the expectations, the necessaries, the RULEZ. And, we need a firm and highly detailed set of sanctions to enforce for a range or inappropriate behaviors.

@hunteray09, please visit us at our community page. We have many discussions going to help wizards learn how to avoid repeated infraction of the rules and subsequent sanctions.

I hope to see you soon,

Queenlybluebean
Iridian Shadowweaver, Archmage Theurgist, WC Protector

Defender
May 24, 2012
Thank you Professor Greyrose for getting that the chat is being manipulated for cursing reasons. I'm hoping that all wizards will report others who curse at them even if it's an acceptable spelling. We don't need that.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
hunteray09 wrote:
Hey guys...

You were lucky...that's one of the cardinal ToS rules...never ask for someone's account information.
Better phrasing would have been: are you on the message boards? or, Are you a WC protector?

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Hunter, I am so sorry that happened to you. I know it was just an accidental slip because many of us know you have never done anything like this in the past.

As the others have already told you, find us on Central and then we can set up meets in game to link wizards.

Fallon WinterLeaf WC Protector

Survivor
Aug 14, 2012
Can someone help ok heres what happen i was in realm wu dye shop and one of my friends got muted. All i said was. Hey that wasnt The right thing to do About 1 minute later im muted for 24 hours so i waited and all of a sudden today it said im muted for like 3000 and something days what did i do! someone please fix this!

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
Razerbeastmason on Oct 24, 2012 wrote:
Can someone help ok heres what happen i was in realm wu dye shop and one of my friends got muted. All i said was. Hey that wasnt The right thing to do About 1 minute later im muted for 24 hours so i waited and all of a sudden today it said im muted for like 3000 and something days what did i do! someone please fix this!
You should have received an e-mail explaining the ban. Contact KI by e-mail and explain your side of the story. Good Luck

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
There are any number of reasons this could happen. If there was anything at all in your chat logs that was against KI rules, and it does not matter when it happened, KI can and will pass sanctions.

Your best course of action is to contact support and ask them to please give you the details of why you were muted.

If anyone else has access to your game and that person did anything against the rules, it is still against your account.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
You will need to contact KI support if you have questions regarding the mute. If you were muted by a Hall Monitor, they can mute for 24 hours, however, KI looks at the chat log and can extend the mute as they see fit.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
If you were banned or muted, you (or the parent who controls your account) would have received an email with details of the sanctions.

That many days equals about 8 years, give or take~ to warrant a ban of that length, you must have done something much worse than protest a friend's mute.If you feel that you were falsely muted, you should contact KI Support immediately to appeal it, but no guarantees; I doubt KI hands out sanctions without a good reason.

Explorer
Sep 03, 2012
pods1973 on Jul 13, 2012 wrote:
Well, a 1 day mute is not the end of the world. And thanks for joining our little autonomous collective (for Monty Python fans).
I never "joined" per se, I just put on the wizard city protector badge and confronted egregious behavior.

That is the beauty of it all. There are no rules of the club. You don't need to join. You only need the desire to see a game where your kids, friends, etc can go without seeing modern life as it is on the outside.

An easy way to help is to help out wizards who may be "stuck" on a quest and need help but do not have the friend list that would actually help them out.
Don't fret, just look at it as KI is actually looking after us!
pods
Chris Nightwraith
Transcended Necromancer
Honorary WCP
nice monty python quote lol