Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A new minion spelll for storm.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 02, 2009
xiaresix wrote:
narutoz1z wrote:
Gamma wrote:
That's not correct.
All schools get their minions at different levels.

Fire - level 28
Ice - level 28
Death - level 28
Storm - level 18
Life - level 18
Balance - levels 18 and 38
Myth - levels 2, 7, 18 and 38

bettermixmaster wrote:
All schools get a minion at level 28 as a quest. Plus minions are a myth school perk, storms is high damage. It would make storm too powerful.
but wait I am a level 26 myth guy how come I only have the first 2 minion spells?

because you skipped to much if you dont know that means you helped friends in instanced areas and stuff when they arent per of your storyline

i am a fire school student and a level 31, i don't have a minion spell at all and i've never been to any other worlds except the ones that i have access to. Is there something else i could have done wrong?

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
thetigerboys20 wrote:
i am a fire school student and a level 31, i don't have a minion spell at all and i've never been to any other worlds except the ones that i have access to. Is there something else i could have done wrong?

Go and see your teacher as it is one of those 'quests' that is announced by a small bubble from your teacher above your spell book. The quest takes place in Marleybone (Chelsa or Ironworks I think).

Survivor
Jan 02, 2009
MikeStrath wrote:
thetigerboys20 wrote:

Go and see your teacher as it is one of those 'quests' that is announced by a small bubble from your teacher above your spell book. The quest takes place in Marleybone (Chelsa or Ironworks I think).

thnx for your help :) lol yea i was waiting for one of those bubble things to pop up, but i got fed up and then i decided to pay my teacher a visit. Sure enough she had a quest for me, now i just got to figure out if it is the minion one she gave me :P

thnx again,
- Lauren Nightflame
magus pyromancer

Squire
Dec 02, 2008
All of the level 28 class quest lines except the storm one require access to Chelsea Court, which a character ordinarily won't have upon reaching level 28.

Survivor
Feb 05, 2009
DabigA wrote:
Quizzical wrote:

You've already quoted me and then ignored what I said three times, so it's probably futile to try again. but oh well. Yes, I'm aware of the storm wizard minion. I have a level 38 storm wizard. I'm even playing it right this second as I type.

Classes are balanced around the assumption that some classes are better at some things than others. If you pick a class on the basis that it's good at one thing, then the class should be bad at another to compensate. Some classes get higher damage than others. Some get higher accuracy. Some get better boosts to particular stats on class gear. Some get more health. Some get better minions.

You've chosen the storm class, which has by far the highest base damage of any class. If it didn't have any drawbacks to counter this, then the class would be severely overpowered, and there would be no point in playing any other class. One of the drawbacks of the storm class is that the minion for the class isn't very good. You're asking that that weakness be removed, which would make the storm class overpowered. That would be a bad thing for game balance.

ShadowTwisted wrote:
For me, I think that the minions should all be an X cost, reason being that if a player can't get any good cards, they should be able to summon a minion who can.

Some classes are supposed to get better minions than others, and having more control over how many pips you use is part of that. Making all minions cost X pips would mean less variety in minions, and hence less variety between classes. That would be a bad thing for game replayability.

Minions have to have various drawbacks in order to give them variety. That a death minion will use up all of your pips to get the minion up is one of the drawbacks of the death minion. The fire minion tends to waste your traps and prisms. The balance minion (or at least the mander one) and the life minion only infrequently attack. The ice minion passes often as not. That myth gets by far the best minions is part of the game design needed for class balance, as that's the only big advantage that the class gets.

i beg to differ about the ice minion. im ice and i love my minion, (but i kinda wish it would do more ice spells lol) because it only passes to save up for storm shark, fire elf, ghoul, thunder bats, and frost beetle. (btw those are all the spells ive seen it cast) so it makes good use of pips.

i have to agree with your philosify about the skools though, because your right, storm would be TOO powerful :P
thats a little off topic

Survivor
Feb 05, 2009
MikeStrath wrote:
thetigerboys20 wrote:

i think that too because when i got to marleybone i was level 29 and that most people get to the iron works level 28 ecept for me i was 33 but they expect you to have acces to certain areas by certain levels

Survivor
Dec 19, 2008
Quizzical wrote:
DabigA wrote:
i beg to differ about the ice minion. im ice and i love my minion, (but i kinda wish it would do more ice spells lol) because it only passes to save up for storm shark, fire elf, ghoul, thunder bats, and frost beetle. (btw those are all the spells ive seen it cast) so it makes good use of pips.

i have to agree with your philosify about the skools though, because your right, storm would be TOO powerful :P

While ice does get one of the better non-myth minions, no competent player would pass half the time like the ice minion does. The minion would be a lot better still if it were to use a shield, blade, trap, or some other such zero pip spell instead of passing half the time. It is for play balance that it doesn't do this, as ice is plenty strong enough without that.

toucshe.
good point

Survivor
Jan 24, 2009
Well think about the water elementals taunt spell. It makes the opponent go for the water elemental and not you. Now honestly, would you rather have that hydra hit the water elemental or you?

Survivor
Feb 12, 2009
keybladeweilder wrote:
Quizzical wrote:
keybladeweilder wrote:
Quizzical wrote:
keybladeweilder wrote:
So i dont care about the whole point i make a poiunt to where it should be that storm gets a new minion because of the water elementals Poor capabilities in battle

You're asking for them to break class balance. If you want minions that do a lot of damage, then don't be a storm wizard. That means giving up the high direct damage of a storm wizard, but that's the point. If one class is good at everything, there's no point in playing any other class.

i had a change of thought read my lasy post and not a new minion but with at least it will attack and not onky defend

Asking for the existing minion to be replaced by a stronger minion is not meaningfully different from asking for a new and stronger minion to be added.

the minion i am talking about is the water elemntal he is not good in battle he does not attack what so ever all he does is defends himself what about us he only uses taunt which never works so therefore the water elemental is useless all i want is at least replace some of his defense spells with some attacks spells from either storm or other schools that is all i ask that is what i meant

Like ShadowTwisted said, the reason storm gets a minion that only uses taunt is because storm doesn't have much health. They make the minion take all the hits so that you can kill them and keep your health. Trust me, storm gets so powerful, you don't need an attacking minion at all. ;-)

Survivor
Nov 09, 2008
I have a level 48 Myth wizard. After playing in Dragonspyre a while, I ended up putting both Cyclops and Minotaur minion in my deck. I use a 4 pip Cyclops minion when I need someone/thing else to attack, and the Minotaur if I'm getting beaten a bit and need to build up pips for a powerful attack, or a good heal spell (or both as I have Death as my secondary school).

Taunt works very well (which, combined with Tower Shield is about all the Minotaur casts), but you have to let it work. With bosses, they are mostly going to focus on you, not your minion. Plus, every time you attack the creature your minion is Taunting, you increase the threat on yourself, undoing some of the taunting. Fighting The Hoarder, it took at least 5 or 6 taunt spells to get the boss to focus on the minion instead of my wizard. I cast a wand shot to do a bit of damage and build up pips, and the next round the boss attacked me. A couple more taunts, and it was back to targeting my minion.

The more powerful the creature, the more Taunt spells it takes to pull the focus off you. With minions that do this, your best bet is to load your deck with 0-pip spells (blades, traps, shields, etc) and use them once you have your minion in play. That lets you both build up your pips, and set up the monster for a nasty attack. Storm also has an extra 0-pip spell, Lightning Strike (I think that's the name) that increases your accuracy with the next storm spell cast. If you have a good power pip chance, and one of the nice sword wands, you can build up to a good 5 or 6 pips after casting your minion with just a Storm Blade, Storm Trap, and Lightning Strike. Then, drop your Kraken, Triton, or whatever other nasty high powered spell you want and wipe out a bunch of the monsters.

If that's not the way you like to play, or build your deck, instead going for lots of smaller damage stuff, the minion isn't right for you. In which case, I say, it's only one spell, leave it out of your deck and move on. If you want an awesome minion that does lots of attacks, and maybe heals you a bit, play a Myth wizard and bring out 4 pip Cyclops minions.