Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Minotaur minion hidden potential?

AuthorMessage
Squire
Apr 11, 2010
So I've been experimenting with Minotaur minion. He is great for keeping enemy minions off of you, has a ton of health for only three pips, but his behavior is hit or miss in arena. In some fights, he will immediately cast a tower on me, then hit with a troll, he might sprite me and cast a trap or two, but after that, he just loops into taunting very often.

I wonder if he can be tweaked around with a little bit. Maybe taunt a bit less and cast sprite on the player a little more Or be alerted quicker when the player is in danger from damage. This minion has some interesting potential.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
CorbinW wrote:
I wonder if he can be tweaked around with a little bit. Maybe taunt a bit less and cast sprite on the player a little more Or be alerted quicker when the player is in danger from damage. This minion has some interesting potential.

I disagree with this. The main problem with the Water Elemental is that he doesn't taunt enough. It does everything else just fine, but for Storm wizard's the Water Elemental has to get taunt up front and fast (then it can shield, heal itself, etc). Your suggestion is sorta like asking for the Water Elemental. I love the Minotaur, because I "know" it is going to taunt and is going to take a hit (or two) for me (I will choose it over Talos sometimes).

If I need sprite casted on me, I train a pet with Spritely. Pets cannot taunt away enemies, only minions can (and sometimes henchmen). Pets can taunt enemies to you, but Ice and maybe Death are the only ones that benefit from that.

Normally I would suggest maybe the Troll should cast Sprite more often, since it's usefulness waivers after Cyclops, but I believe something like that "might" imbalance low level play. Cyclops casts sprite too, but it's main function is to lay down damage (and does a good job until Talos).

I will agree about the minion needing to be more "alert," however I don't keep my hopes up, since that type of response would be likely given to the henchmen over minions.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
Yes, yes there are other ways to have sprite available to you. But having both spritely and a minion to cast one on you doubles the chances of needed heals. I meant to imply that if the alert level of the minotaur was increased to react quicker to aid the conjurer in danger, the minotaur would then be more willing to give you a tower or sprite. I took a 1200 hit recently and next turn minotaur towered himself and just taunted again. I get that he is designed to take damage away from me by drawing attention toward himself, but should that be the only way he reacts? As it stands now, his tower and sprite to player feel pretty random.

I must say though, for a hit or miss minion, when he hits and supports me with the towers and sprites, he has been astonishingly effective.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
CorbinW wrote:
Yes, yes there are other ways to have sprite available to you. But having both spritely and a minion to cast one on you doubles the chances of needed heals. I meant to imply that if the alert level of the minotaur was increased to react quicker to aid the conjurer in danger, the minotaur would then be more willing to give you a tower or sprite. I took a 1200 hit recently and next turn minotaur towered himself and just taunted again. I get that he is designed to take damage away from me by drawing attention toward himself, but should that be the only way he reacts? As it stands now, his tower and sprite to player feel pretty random.

I must say though, for a hit or miss minion, when he hits and supports me with the towers and sprites, he has been astonishingly effective.

True, but I wouldn't focus on changing old minions (since their relative closeness in levels balances them out). Future minions is where this type of support should be delivered. Let's face it, minions aren't cranked out like they use to, so minions are expected to do more with more levels in between. Unless we get three new minions with seperate roles close together in levels (tanking minion, healing minion, DPS minion), one new minion is going to have to fill the void (and offer something more attractive than Talos's high HP and AOE ability).

Survivor
Jan 06, 2011
Minions seem really Random. I just started experimenting with Myth and the 4 pip Cyclops sometimes does well but also spends a lot of time Passing with his Thumb in his Eye. I know he has Myth Blade... If he has nothing better to do it is 0-pip... how about laying one on me? :)

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
kingurz wrote:
CorbinW wrote:

True, but I wouldn't focus on changing old minions (since their relative closeness in levels balances them out). Future minions is where this type of support should be delivered. Let's face it, minions aren't cranked out like they use to, so minions are expected to do more with more levels in between. Unless we get three new minions with seperate roles close together in levels (tanking minion, healing minion, DPS minion), one new minion is going to have to fill the void (and offer something more attractive than Talos's high HP and AOE ability).

Thanks King for the discussion! I wont dare try to petition for a change in Minotaurs behavior. It is fine as it is more or less. I did post an idea for a new and more intelligent variety of supportive minions called Marionette sisters, you can search the word fortress or marionette sisters and it should appear. I might change some things about it now, but try to catch it and see what you think. I would link you but I'm concerned about request denial. I admit that even I, the eccentric puppet player have reduced my minion usage in arena dramatically. I now only carry three minions and only one or two talos. Usually I wouldn't go lower than four. But as I level on Myth, I do find myself just going solo now against people. Spending pips on minions in arena is tricky, and should only be done when your enemy has very few pips, and you have a weakness to toss on the opponent right after to keep your buddy on the field.

Trainboy, I personally stopped using the Cyclops minion, but I did revisit him a few days ago once or twice. I stopped using him because of his larger spell set. But it comes down to preference. King doesn't like the Troll, I think that Troll is just awesome in Green skin. If you want to read up on your minions though, search Puppet Guide. I dissected everything minion inside out there.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
TrainBoyDad wrote:
Minions seem really Random. I just started experimenting with Myth and the 4 pip Cyclops sometimes does well but also spends a lot of time Passing with his Thumb in his Eye. I know he has Myth Blade... If he has nothing better to do it is 0-pip... how about laying one on me? :)

This is a great point (both PvP and PvE). Those minions with 0 pip spells (Tower Shield, Myth Blade, etc) should never, ever pass. Now, whether they cast on themselves, me or the life wizard (????) is a different story, but they shouldn't be passing at all.

Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
Survivor
May 30, 2009
Survivor
Feb 21, 2010
Minotaur is a protector but he tries to take the fire off you
Think about it
he taunts but without shields(he only is shielding you)
how is he going to live

Talos is the final minion of Myth(so far)
to get him you must complete the quest to get to Nordilund(Nordilund Express)
Has a thousand health and is an attacking minion

The boss is storm(yeah) and a weak(somewhat) fire minion

For me Talos likes Humongofrogs
Though he sometimes uses Minotaur

Storm Minion-Why is he even here
he does nothing

I agree he should be revised

Though Myth still rules with minions

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
shukion123 wrote:
What is Talos? How do you get it?

Talos is as of now, the latest minion for Myth obtained during the Wintertusk story line. You pick up the quest for Talos in Olde Town after clearing up a bit of wintertusk.

He costs 5 pips, has the most health for its pip count, 1000 at 5 pips, has an inherent attack boost, a very aggressive AI, and is just nothing but trouble for a careless opponent. He can earth, minotaur, stun frog and trap.

And...he's pretty cool.