Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Gnomes! Dispel is Stackable

AuthorMessage
Historian
May 01, 2010
When I was 2v2ing with friends, we had 1 actual life dispel, and 2 Gnomes! dispel (I played one gnomes is what I mean). I thought we had his heals almost pinned down, until we saw the first spritely eat away 1 gnomes dispel, and the regular life dispel. As I said, this was a friendly match, so I didnt get too worked up by it, but if this was ranked...

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
slammer111 wrote:
When I was 2v2ing with friends, we had 1 actual life dispel, and 2 Gnomes! dispel (I played one gnomes is what I mean). I thought we had his heals almost pinned down, until we saw the first spritely eat away 1 gnomes dispel, and the regular life dispel. As I said, this was a friendly match, so I didnt get too worked up by it, but if this was ranked...

Yeah, ok, that's pretty lame. It sounds like yet another processing bug has crept into the system again. Can anyone else confirm?

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
I think it is suppose to work that way. If you cast a regular dispell and a treasure dispell they are both used up when the enemy casts. Same thing here, these are two different types of spells being "stacked" on the enemy. The issue is that there is no advantage to stacking dispells.

Survivor
Nov 05, 2010
when you use a regular dispel and a treasure card dispel, the same thing happens; monster will use both of them with one spell. so i am guessing that if you had both along with the gnome dispel, monster would use all three with next life spell it casts. the blades stack, the weaknesses stack, so it makes sense that the dispel would stack; not sure if this is a bug.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
kingurz wrote:
I think it is suppose to work that way. If you cast a regular dispell and a treasure dispell they are both used up when the enemy casts. Same thing here, these are two different types of spells being "stacked" on the enemy. The issue is that there is no advantage to stacking dispells.

Really? Interesting... I guess I've never tried it. I guess it makes sense, however, its still pretty lame. While other stacked charms have a cumulative effect, its not like you can "double" dispel a spell and therefore it simply wastes charms. Still, I can understand how it would work that way.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
kingurz wrote:

Yes, that's right. They are registered as different spells with the same characteristic so they stack. That's because they are not meant to be read as the same spell. Same reason why A power Nova weakness and a normal weakness would stack. They are considered different. Although, I would love to push for a change to dispel stacking. It isn't as sensible as a weakness with nova stack.

I think I once saw an Infection stack...

Mastermind
Sep 11, 2010
The thing is that just like every other spell in the game, you have various versions of the same spell. School Spell, Item Card Spell (includes pets), Treasure Cards and Secondary Effect (such as Power Nova's weakness, the Life+Death dispel from Myth Imp, etc) are the usual four different types you'll encounter.

While you may think of the spells as being the same thing, or having the same effect, the game treats it different. Instead of seeing "Life Blade", "Life Blade"(treasure card) and "Life Blade"(necklace), the game sees "Spell 42", "Spell 259" and "Spell 6254". To the game, those spells are completely different, and it wouldn't be able to see the similarities if you tried to hammer it home with a sledgehammer.

So, let's say that you use three effects in one round. You cast Life Blade on yourself, your friend uses Life Blade (treasure card) on you, and the random walk-in uses Life Blade (item card from their pet) on you. When you next cast a Life spell, the game checks what effects you have on you. Lo and behold, it reads "Spell 157", "Spell 236" and "Spell 9336" - and so applies all effects to you.

The same works for the Dispels. Gnomes! has a secondary effect with the dispels, meaning that they stack with your usual Life dispel. If you had placed more Dispels, then they would all have triggered at once.

Unfortunately, trying to break the game system so that dispels aren't activated all at once would possibly break the ability to stack other kinds of blades or traps or shields - which, in turn, would make the game a LOT more difficult...

Historian
May 01, 2010
@Bookshelvings-
I get the mechanics behind it, though I did leave out 2 important things in my original post, 1, it was a warning, and 2, it was asking if this is somehow possible to change, without effecting much else in game.