Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Helephant tower quest is too hard/annoying.

AuthorMessage
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
So I logged onto the test server to check out Wysteria. I liked it, at first- it's a happy, cheery little place with less-annoying quest chains than Dragonspyre or the cow place; a nice distraction. Anyhow, I decided to check out the helephant tower I've heard so much about, and came out of the ordeal with this to say:

First of all, how is this instance even possible to complete? I am a legendary balance wizard, and can't even take out one of the bosses before they kill me, whether I'm solo, with a group, or using henchmen. Major complaints are:

1. Blading is half of a balance wizard's primary skill-set. If we can't blade, because the bosses will just steal them, it makes our spells really inefficient, assuming that we live long enough to cast one. Also, the 2 low-level bosses are balance, and have almost 100 percent resistance to my primary class- all I can really do is shield, heal (balance only has 2), and trap, which makes me pretty useless, no matter what strategy I'm attempting to use.

2. Smokescreening. I cannot stress enough how much I hate this. Do the math: when the boss uses this, it's pretty much guaranteed that you will fizzle... then, on top of that, the boss also gets a free hit every time you fizzle. This means that the bosses get 7 or 8 shots off before anyone on my team even gets one; myself and 3 teammates, in full level 60 legendary gear, don't even equal a third of these guys' health, so fizzling even once means that almost half of my health is gone... and that's with some pretty sweet resistance. How is this fair? Sure, fair fights ended back on Colossus Boulevard, but that doesn't make it any less annoying.

The game should be challenging, not impossible... I'm an adult, and let's just say that I have no idea how little kids do this, because I lose patience with these 'unbeatable' bosses rather quickly. Anyone who knows the secret to finishing the instance- whether you've discovered it through extreme luck, persistence, stupidity, or some combination of the above- please bottle it and send some of it my way, thanks. I've tried this a few times now, and it's beginning to really grate on my nerves.

For Balance wizards everywhere,

Laura Shadowsong
Legendary Sorcerer/disgruntled beta-tester #1.

Delver
Aug 10, 2010
I'm a Balance Wizard, I have been through 4 times now, once with two players, twice with three and once with four. The first time was a real learning experience.

Without getting into a long description of gameplay, in this situation, get rid of the blades from your deck and DISPELLS are your friends. Get fire, storm and death dispells and you'll figure out where to put them.

Go in with people you know and use voice chat so you can really know what the other person is doing/thinking.

It takes about 3 hours from start to finish.

Explorer
Jun 09, 2010
It is a hard dungeon, it's meant to be a hard dungeon, but it is not impossible. I've completed it a few times and FYI only once was it with adults. I've found that the kids fair amazing well in these instances, it's the adults that get frustrated the fastest with it. It's meant to be a challenge and personally I like it. I feel like I've accomplished something other than blading up and killing the enemy in a couple of rounds. This tower is meant for team work and is totally optional.

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2009
When my friends (Myth, Storm, and Balance) and I (Fire) did it, we beat all the battles on our first try. Except the last one. We died on the last battle, but then we walked back in with a better strategy and beat it. It was easier than Waterworks.

Hero
May 02, 2009
It can be tricky at times, but you have to play by the bosses rules otherwise you pay the price (if the pylon stormriven bosses, briskbreeze, waterworks and the warehouse weren't clear enough).
I would suggest looking at some guides on wizard101 central if your stumped, as they show you some good strategies to beat them.

Explorer
May 09, 2011
Hello,

I have done this tower over 7 times, I failed on my 1st try, (mostly because half my team had to go) Then at my 2nd try we won, here's a short guide if you need one.

-Ervin the Barbarian/Taurus The Clever - It may be an annoying battle with the smokescreen, but Dispels are they KEY, run to the Bazaar, grab some quenches and dissipates (When Ervin is alone he uses Leviathan) NOTE: If you dispel the Leviathan the animation will come but wont hurt you, Alright, so for the first battle, dispels are key.

-Lyon LoreStriker - OKAY, maybe storm wizards will hate this battle as Lyon is storm and you cant even prism, but they can take out Lyon's henchmen fast, so bring a storm if ya can, (No Traps On Lyon), Lyon brings out henchmen, constantly, but if he gets all 3 henchmen out, then, well... Let's say it's gonna get chilly in Lyon's 'party' (Meaning, Blizzard every round until you defeat the henchmen) But, soon you will defeat Lyon,

This dungeon was made as a challenge for us, legendaries, and I really like Wizard101 brought it out! :-D Good Luck, you can do it! (And yes, this is just a kid, who figured out a strategy with his friends xD)

-Mason D.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
The Dungeon is actually very easy, if you know your spells!

There are many dispels in the game that can help you:

Quench, the Fire dispel to stop smoke screen!
Melt, the Ice Dispel to stop -90% Tower Shield!
Dissipate, the Storm Dispel to stop Leviathan &/or allow blades!
Vaporize, the Myth Dispel, to allow traps!
And Finally, not that this one is needed, but Death has a dispel too, that will stop Skeletal Dragons...

Now, the quench, melt, and dissipate can all be found at the bazaar in the treasure cards department...

So, now that you have some ideas, get pets that boost your accuracy, so you wont fizzle...

Finally, get a good team together, one that works together and does not waste traps and will help build up a character...

The first battle should not take more than 15-20 minutes, if the team has a plan and works together... The whole dungeon can only take an hour...

The only problem with the dungeon, is that the drops and drop rates don't quite make it worth while... The crafted ring and athame are still better than these and I have not gotten any other good drops...

So, just to say, I did it, is about all this dungeon is needed...

Not a hard dungeon, if you don't let it rattle and scare you! But if you dont think, form a strategy, know your spells, how did you ever get to legendary anyway, someone carry you?

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
First of all, thank you to everyone who has offered help and suggestions. Your time is much-appreciated. :)

To the person who mentioned Dispels- are you talking about a treasure-card version? As a Balance wizard, I already have triple dispels (spirit and elemental) in my deck and can keep up to 7 copies of them, but one of these costs 5 pips to cast... what is the 'cost', if you will, to cast a single Dispel (not a triple one)?

The problem with getting a 'good' team together is that most of the people I quest with aren't in my time-zone; I'm at the opposite side of the country for most of them, so their after-school or work game time is right as I'm logging off to go to bed. If any of you are in the Atlantic time zone and would care to join me, I'd be happy to hear from you. :)

Note: Though I did get to Legendary status on my own, I had a love-hate relationship with Balance magic for a verrrrrry long time; that's why it was only with the help of a friend I made here a while ago that I saw it through. One might say that she taught me the patience and perseverance required to get here, because I was ready to give up so many times; I know that she likes to visit the forums on occasion, so thank you, Nora (if she sees this, it's just an added bonus).

Best to everyone, and remember- "when you are strange, the world can be amazing".

L.S.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Dispels:

Quench, the fire dispel, can be cast for 1 pip, using the treasure card version, which can be found at the bazaar...

Dissapate, the storm dispel, can be cast for 1 pip, using the treasure card version, which can be found at the bazaar...

Melt, the ice dispel, can be cast for 1 pip, using the treasure card version, which can be found at the bazaar...

Vaporize, the myth dispel costs 2 pips and must be trained, costing a training point, unless you are myth...

Death Dispel, costs 2 pips and must be trained, costing a training point, unless you are death...

Now, mastery amulets can greatly help with some of these, casting wise... However, Dispels seriously help make these battles so much easier...

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
darthjt wrote:

Vaporize, the myth dispel costs 2 pips and must be trained, costing a training point, unless you are myth...

Death Dispel, costs 2 pips and must be trained, costing a training point, unless you are death...

Now, mastery amulets can greatly help with some of these, casting wise... However, Dispels seriously help make these battles so much easier...

Who is the vendor for the myth and death dispels? Maybe, if I can find some in the real game and wait a bit, maybe they'll carry over (not likely). But I can hope, right?

Armiger
May 10, 2010
vonawesome1 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Who is the vendor for the myth and death dispels? Maybe, if I can find some in the real game and wait a bit, maybe they'll carry over (not likely). But I can hope, right?

Mildred Farseer teaches the dispels, she can be found on Colossus Blvd!

Survivor
May 03, 2009
I completely agree! I have been killed everytime I attempted the tower, (4 times total) once on the last level. I am a legendary life wizard, I had a full team. It is absolutely insane to HAVE TO buy dispels to complete a quest. Two or more hours on the first floor isn't a challenge, it make people give up. A warning that the tower could take 4 or more hours with a highly skilled team is necessary! Oh you should also mention that the tower gives no new clothing. The only drops I know of are a ring and dagger. Really KI, a challenge should be at least be attainable. You have to lose the fierce skelton dragon hit when you fizzle or the super high percentage on the smokescreen.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Justin3620 wrote:
Hello,

I have done this tower over 7 times, I failed on my 1st try, (mostly because half my team had to go) Then at my 2nd try we won, here's a short guide if you need one.

-Ervin the Barbarian/Taurus The Clever - It may be an annoying battle with the smokescreen, but Dispels are they KEY, run to the Bazaar, grab some quenches and dissipates (When Ervin is alone he uses Leviathan) NOTE: If you dispel the Leviathan the animation will come but wont hurt you, Alright, so for the first battle, dispels are key.

-Lyon LoreStriker - OKAY, maybe storm wizards will hate this battle as Lyon is storm and you cant even prism, but they can take out Lyon's henchmen fast, so bring a storm if ya can, (No Traps On Lyon), Lyon brings out henchmen, constantly, but if he gets all 3 henchmen out, then, well... Let's say it's gonna get chilly in Lyon's 'party' (Meaning, Blizzard every round until you defeat the henchmen) But, soon you will defeat Lyon,

This dungeon was made as a challenge for us, legendaries, and I really like Wizard101 brought it out! :D Good Luck, you can do it! (And yes, this is just a kid, who figured out a strategy with his friends xD)

-Mason D.

What a great outlook on things! That's one of the main differences between children and us- we adults are impatient and tend to give up far, too easily. Thanks again for your help!

For the adults who are reading this, we should all take a cue from this kid and his winning attitude. This is what the game is all about- having fun, and helping others who need it, without expecting something in return. I really wish that there were more kids like him out there. :)

See you in the Spiral,

L.S.

Survivor
Jan 27, 2010

Some of you are missing the point.

The enemy keeps getting better.
Cheats
number of pips to start the round,
lots of health
high resistance to spells
automatic steal or remove of blades/traps.

What do we have .
stuck at a level cap
starting a round with 2 power pips except that some wizards get no chance to get to 100% power pip just to get 2 power pips to start a round.
Health at a comparable low amount.
Not able to control minions or henchmen.
A large amount of spells but try to get the spell you want from a large deck.

What do we expect
Something similar to the start of the game...
ability to get to level of enemy
Critical numbers that are real.
reward for completion...not random awards that some get and some do not
(includes buying megacards, training pets,dungeons)

Why.....because we are paying for it.

Explorer
Oct 03, 2009
its just trial of spheres

Finnigan Darkflame lvl 60 life wizard

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
camelotmerlin wrote:

Cheats
lots of health

What do we have .
stuck at a level cap
starting a round with 2 power pips except that some wizards get no chance to get to 100% power pip just to get 2 power pips to start a round.

What do we expect

You do make several valid points. I've often wondered why we are stuck in a rut, when the enemy keeps getting better and the cheats more advanced. Right now, I'm just questing for training points, since I'm going to need them for all of the dispels, unless I buy them all back, which costs money and, when you're a legendary, is a bit pointless. At times like these, I wish I were young and optimistic again... then, these things might not faze me so much.

Happy travels,

L.S.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
camelotmerlin wrote:

Well, as we progress, get higher level, learn our school, our spells, and the game, I would hope the enemies get better!

Cheats

Only some cheat, let's not over exaggerate... Most Bosses that do cheat, are in Optional areas and towers! Something has to give the more advanced players a challenge and allow them to have fun, other wise, this would not be a family game, it would be a childs game for 12 and under... Thank goodness it's not!

lots of health

Well, considering that all the way up to Dragonspyre, you always started with more pips than your enemy, is it too much of a challenge for them to have pips for a change?

Health, Besides Bosses, you have more health than the mobs... Now, Bosses may have health, but they can not stack blades, traps, shield, and form a basic strategy the way a human can...

High resistance to spells, well you have to learn how to use a convert some time or another! If you don't know how to use a convert, then they deserve to resist you!

Only Cheating Bosses do this, as covered above... These areas are optional and gives a challenge to the more advanced players...

What do we have .
stuck at a level cap

Yes, there is a level cap, for the moment, of Legendary (Level 60)... It will go up, when the time is right and they are ready to increase it...

Starting with 2 power pips allows most wizards to be able to use attack all spells right off the bat, inflicting almost 1000 damage, more if boosted...

Health is between 2100 and 4100 depending on school... How is this a relatively low amount, it is more than almost all the mobs in the game!

Not able to control minions or henchmen? Never have been able to, this has not, nor probably ever will change, not sure how this is an issue... Minions and Henchmen are computer generated and controlled, you know this when you get one, if you don't like it, dont get or summon one!

As far as finding the spells you need, that is your own personal preference, I usually travel with only 10 cards max in my deck... I never have a problem finding the card I need, when I need it... It is called strategy! If need be, make some enchanted attack cards, put them in your side deck... This is a personal problem and not one with the game or game mechanics...

What do we expect

We get Wizard101, the best MMO of all time, the entire way through the game... Great story line, excellent graphics, lots of fun, cool spells...
Ability to get to level of enemy? Not sure what you mean by that, but no boss or enemy is impossible to defeat...
Critical Numbers, just because you don't understand them, don't mean they are not real... They do have a percentage... Hits are based out of 500 points possible and Blocks are based on 400 points possible...

Rewards for completing Towers... Most of the main Towers, give gear for that level... Hats, Robes, Boots, Rings, Athames, Amulets!

Some even give mega snacks and mastery amulets... Almost everything that is sold for crowns in the game, can be gotten in the game by bosses...

KI has done a great Job and is covering every aspect and giving players of all levels and skill something to do...

Just because you may not like something, does not mean others don't... Instead of complaining, honestly, try and think what you can do... Form a strategy, ask for help... Don't just complain and demand things be changed, there are more people playing this game than just yourself... We are paying players too!!!

Explorer
Jul 06, 2009
vonawesome1 wrote:
First of all, thank you to everyone who has offered help and suggestions. Your time is much-appreciated. :)

To the person who mentioned Dispels- are you talking about a treasure-card version? As a Balance wizard, I already have triple dispels (spirit and elemental) in my deck and can keep up to 7 copies of them, but one of these costs 5 pips to cast... what is the 'cost', if you will, to cast a single Dispel (not a triple one)?

The problem with getting a 'good' team together is that most of the people I quest with aren't in my time-zone; I'm at the opposite side of the country for most of them, so their after-school or work game time is right as I'm logging off to go to bed. If any of you are in the Atlantic time zone and would care to join me, I'd be happy to hear from you. :)

Note: Though I did get to Legendary status on my own, I had a love-hate relationship with Balance magic for a verrrrrry long time; that's why it was only with the help of a friend I made here a while ago that I saw it through. One might say that she taught me the patience and perseverance required to get here, because I was ready to give up so many times; I know that she likes to visit the forums on occasion, so thank you, Nora (if she sees this, it's just an added bonus).

Best to everyone, and remember- "when you are strange, the world can be amazing".

L.S.

There is a treasure card that reduces pip cost, I cant remember the name of it. Unfortunately I didnt know how to use it so foolishly sold them. What a big boo hoo. I didn't realize that it attatches to the card like fist. I thought I had to click to the character of choice.

Survivor
Apr 23, 2010
You COULD wait until you are legend. lol

My legend Ice wizard did the tower solo.:)

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
In wintertusk there is a wand recipe vendor who sells a recipe for a wand that gives one card for each of the seven dispels. Using it with a very small deck focused on support (pip donating spells, healing maybe, shields and definitely reshuffle) may be a good strategy for a legendary balance mage for the first battle in this instance. Then a couple of dispels in your sideboard. You could easily be the most useful member in your group, as balance always is! :) -corwin sandstalker, legendary sorcerer

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
etherchaos wrote:
In wintertusk there is a wand recipe vendor who sells a recipe for a wand that gives one card for each of the seven dispels. Using it with a very small deck focused on support (pip donating spells, healing maybe, shields and definitely reshuffle) may be a good strategy for a legendary balance mage for the first battle in this instance. Then a couple of dispels in your sideboard. You could easily be the most useful member in your group, as balance always is! :) -corwin sandstalker, legendary sorcerer

Thank you! I do have 3 different decks that I use, depending on who the boss is (Luska Charmbeak gets his own, haha) and, though I don't like crafting, this sounds like a fabulous idea. :) Do you remember the name of the vendor? If not, I'll just go and poke around a bit until I find him (or her, w/e).

Happy travels,

L.S.

Delver
Aug 12, 2009
@darthjt : Well said, I agree completely.

Devin Darksong – lvl 60 Death
Digby Darksong – lvl 60 Life
Duncan Darksong – lvl 60 balance
Dylan Darksong – lvl 60 Storm
Dustan Darksong – lvl 60 Myth
Dolan Darksong – lvl 60 Ice

Explorer
Dec 02, 2010
vonawesome1 wrote:
So I logged onto the test server to check out Wysteria. I liked it, at first- it's a happy, cheery little place with less-annoying quest chains than Dragonspyre or the cow place; a nice distraction. Anyhow, I decided to check out the helephant tower I've heard so much about, and came out of the ordeal with this to say:

First of all, how is this instance even possible to complete? I am a legendary balance wizard, and can't even take out one of the bosses before they kill me, whether I'm solo, with a group, or using henchmen. Major complaints are:

1. Blading is half of a balance wizard's primary skill-set. If we can't blade, because the bosses will just steal them, it makes our spells really inefficient, assuming that we live long enough to cast one. Also, the 2 low-level bosses are balance, and have almost 100 percent resistance to my primary class- all I can really do is shield, heal (balance only has 2), and trap, which makes me pretty useless, no matter what strategy I'm attempting to use.

Just to give you some helpful info: I'm not a Balance Wiz (yet), but there is a workable solution for you and other Sorcerers dealing with Balance enemies: Spectral Blast and Hydra. These spells are great for handling Balance monsters (you'll notice that they don't resist the damage dealt by those spells), and that why Balance has no Prism spell of any kind is because a "Prism" is sort of already built into Hydra and Spectral Blast. Add in some Elemental Blades/Traps, Balanceblades, and Hexes and you'll do well against Balance enemies and will never have to rely on any secondary school's attack spells when dueling Balance enemies again! :D :D

Also to note: The Storm, Fire, and Ice dispel spells are useless against Spectral Blast and Hydra too since they're Balance spells.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
vonawesome1 wrote:
Thank you! I do have 3 different decks that I use, depending on who the boss is (Luska Charmbeak gets his own, haha) and, though I don't like crafting, this sounds like a fabulous idea. :) Do you remember the name of the vendor? If not, I'll just go and poke around a bit until I find him (or her, w/e).

Happy travels,

L.S.

The recipe vendor is Ingulf the Grower or something like that in Venstrilund. The wand is the Ashen Axe of Wintertusk.

Survivor
Dec 13, 2008