Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Breaking codes

AuthorMessage
Squire
Dec 02, 2008
At a number of places in the storyline, the player comes to a point where it is something to the effect of, we need to get the code to open a door and move on. See, for example, Emperor's Retreat or Katzenstein's Lab.

At that point, the player is generally advised to use the rubber hose method: find someone who knows the code, and then beat him with a rubber hose until he gives it to you. The player defeats a boss, gets the code, opens a door, and moves on.

The problem with this is that no self-respecting code breaker would take this approach. The rubber hose method is only used when you can't break the code itself and need to cheat. To crack the code without having to forcibly take it from someone else is so much more aesthetically satisfying, and any decent code breaker would make it a point of pride to take this approach whenever possible.

And the code most certainly can be broken. Indeed, it can be broken in the obvious way: the brute force approach. There are typically only 24 or 64 or some other such small number of codes possible. If one tries them all, he is guaranteed to find the one that works. This would only take a few minutes.

Survivor
Nov 29, 2008
Spoken like a true adult gamer and I con completely relate and sympathize. However, being the father of a 10 year old girl that plays the game, i can attest she would much prefer the rubber hose method over the crack the code method.

I wouldn't think it would be that difficult to allow both methods as long as it is clear how to get to the 'rubber hose' method for the young kids.

Explorer
Jun 08, 2008
i have found a much better way then the rubber hose, make them face the gobblers and their gas attack without any shields to protect them. most i think will give the code up fairly quick, after a couple rounds. :-D

Survivor
Jul 12, 2008
zebrie wrote:
Spoken like a true adult gamer and I con completely relate and sympathize. However, being the father of a 10 year old girl that plays the game, i can attest she would much prefer the rubber hose method over the crack the code method.

I wouldn't think it would be that difficult to allow both methods as long as it is clear how to get to the 'rubber hose' method for the young kids.

I agree with you completely! I am the aunt of an 11 yr old Autistic nephew. I would have to deal with a massive meltdown with hands slamming into heads if he had to do the crack the code method. I would much rather help him with the rubber hose method and have a happy child then an all out crying, slamming things, ball of frustration he can turn into... lolol YES pure Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde!

Now personally for myself I would prefer to use my brain sometimes and be able to think it out.

Heather Ravenblood
Level 50 - Death/Life