Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A gentle reminder to the "helpers" out there

AuthorMessage
Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Now I'm confused. Are we talking about people who join without asking period, or people who join without asking and do nothing? It seems like this thread's point has been distorted. Anyway, to clarify I support people who join without asking. What I do not support in any way are people who join without asking and do nothing. That's just annoying.

Defender
May 31, 2011
Sorry if I hurt your feelings. I would've said it in a nicer way anyways. Oh, and I tried this. People were much more happy when I did. :D

Oh, you did not hurt my feelings. Frankly, none of the posts here has hurt my feelings. I have found all points of views quite interesting. In all honestly I do prefer a more thoughtful approach from those expressing their views, but I am well aware there are as many ways of expressing, as there are people. As someone else pointed out there are all ages as well. I have to say though, I have known many a child quite capable of expressing itself in a polite and respectful manner, so I know it is not out of their reach.

I was truly interested in what you, yourself, had to say your own words, that is all.

Thank you for your response.

Defender
May 31, 2011
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

I was responding to linny913's post; I accidentally deleted the quote and didn't put it back before submitting. Anyway, I do agree with you saying everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I, however, feel I can debate, especially if I feel the person whose pointing I'm debating is being, in my opinion, unreasonable. I say the game is meant to be played by players who are open to helping others because if it wasn't why would it be an MMORPG? KI has said that there are parts that you can do alone, but there are parts that are made specifically to encourage teamwork. I think the line you quoted was taken completely out of context and was put in merely to let one know more about the Myth school. I'm sure the Myth description has said that since before there were any Conjurers in the Spiral. You ask us to be aware of people who prefer to solo: how? Unless they shout "I WANT TO SOLO!" repeatedly, we have no way of knowing until it's too late. I'm sorry, but I can't help how I feel. To me, it is no big deal that people join fights without asking because no battle in this game is private. That's the way it's been and hopefully that's the way it always will be.

I was responding to linny913's post; I accidentally deleted the quote and didn't put it back before submitting

I can understand that happening and thank you for clarifying that for me. I can now better understand where you were coming from.

Anyway, I do agree with you saying everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I, however, feel I can debate, especially if I feel the person whose pointing I'm debating is being, in my opinion, unreasonable.

I have no problem with debating. I rather enjoy it, in fact. Debating being the stating of a position and presenting arguments to support. I believe I have stated more than once that I welcome all points of view. I may not agree, but I still welcome them. I do agree that it is unrealistic for one to expect to be asked before someone joining. That point has been made clear to me. I, also, do not think one should be called rude for joining in an ongoing battle no more that I think one should call some one anti-social, because they prefer to attempt solo. I do not believe it is unreasonable to ask for common courtesy in general. Here or in the game.

I say the game is meant to be played by players who are open to helping others because if it wasn't why would it be an MMORPG?

Actually I do not have nearly as much an issue with the way you have worded it this time. The quote that I had a bit of a problem with was:

“How can you condemn us for playing Wizard101 the way it was meant to be played just because you prefer to be anti-social?”

I am quite willing to concede that team playing is best way to go through the game, however, I do not feel that it rules out solo playing or that those who prefer solo play are anti-social. I feel the only ones who can claim how the game is "MEANT to be played" are the creators and administers of this site. I have always looked at anti-social as having disregard to the rights and feelings of others. Perhaps when you said anti-social you were referring to her disregard of your rights rather than her preference for solo play? If that is the case, I apologize for misreading your intent.

Now there is still the issue on what each individual view as help. True? The question that I see here (and this applies to both sides of this topic) is should a person’s views/feelings, be dismissed or invalidated just because is not the same as yours? If one wants to get their point across, wouldn’t it have a better chance if it wording carefully to avoid name-calling and accusations?

I think the line you quoted was taken completely out of context and was put in merely to let one know more about the Myth school.

The line I quoted is directly from the CURRENT game sign up process. If one has not filled in their slots they can try making another character and see it for themselves. However here is the description in its entirety:

“Myth Wizards are visionary, serious, competitive, and knowledgeable. Famous conjurers include Socrates, Baba Yaga, and Houdini. Myth Wizards often fight alone summoning minions to aid them in battle.”

Here are some other descriptions that I can add:

“Death Wizards are often solitary, driven, brave, and intelligent. Famous necromancers include Dracula, Dr. Frankenstein, and Ophelia. Death Wizards use drains, taking strengths for their enemies and healing themselves.”

“Storm Wizards are often impulsive, educated, creative, and independent. Famous diviners include Benjamin Franklin, Lady Cerce, and Galileo. Storm Wizards are capable of devastating attacks, but have somewhat weaker defenses”

When I read these quotes they suggest to me that the creators did have in mind and recognize there are those who prefer solo play. Isn’t it in the best interest of the business to make the product usable and attractive to as wide a consumer use as possible? I am not saying the game is suppose to be played solo, only that I feel it is a viable option.

My current wizard is Myth and my second school is Life (just in case anyone is curious). However, I intend to play with wizards from other schools as well and I am not plugging or trying to make anyone aware of any school in particular. Again I am at lost as to how you came to this conclusion.

I would hope you would read my words for what they state and put aside any assumptions or preconceptions. This could very well not be your intension, but this quote come across as dismissive and distractive of the point being made. In my opinion, it is not a very good argument.

I'm sure the Myth description has said that since before there were any Conjurers in the Spiral.

Forgive me but “say what?!” I am just not able to make sense of this. Would you be willing to re word it or explain more to me what you mean by this? It would be appreciated.

You ask us to be aware of people who prefer to solo: how? Unless they shout "I WANT TO SOLO!" repeatedly, we have no way of knowing until it's too late. I'm sorry, but I can't help how I feel. To me, it is no big deal that people join fights without asking because no battle in this game is private. That's the way it's been and hopefully that's the way it always will be.

I think it was help to look at my full sentence:

“To the team players I would ask just that they be aware there are those who wish to play solo and it wouldn’t hurt to accept them for that and not call them anti-social and invalidate their feelings by saying “It is no big deal”

I could have made myself clearer on this. I am not asking one to be aware that person is playing solo, rather that there are those who choose to play solo and that they come from different ages, education, countries, cultures, and playing experiences. It can’t hurt to have more patience in educating them on the impracticality of someone asking to join all the time, as some here successfully have done so. I respect that you may be tired of the topic, especially if you have been around a long time. But it is unreasonable and unrealistic that it will go away. As long as there are new players, it is going to come up. You can simply skip the topic and leave it to those with the willingness and patience to do the education. Perhaps your forte of teaching is for the more experienced player rather than the elementary players? Or perhaps you are more meant to instruct in the technical questions more than the emotional newbie questions. Remember everyone has been a newbie at one time or another.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
DesireNite wrote:
This is also inconvenient for me as well, since I now must let my friends that are fighting with me know the reason and now which realm to jump to, to continue our quest away from a hindrance.

DesireNite,

Don't worry about letting your friends know which realm your on. If they port to you, they automatically go to your realm. You would, however, need to tell fellow wizards that were not on your friends list.

Defender
May 31, 2011
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
Now I'm confused. Are we talking about people who join without asking period, or people who join without asking and do nothing? It seems like this thread's point has been distorted. Anyway, to clarify I support people who join without asking. What I do not support in any way are people who join without asking and do nothing. That's just annoying.

Let's see. My intent as the original poster was to present how this issue was being viewed from my end. Though I did not originally state so I was hoping to see other viewpoints as well.

As I read the responses of others I was able to see how that really is impractical and unrealistic and shared that realization. I went on to say I still did not appreciated those who join and leave and those who go afk. It is my guess the poster read though that and responded.

I do not think this thread as being distorted, but rather evolving and progressing.

On my end I never got the impression that you were supporting the flee -ers and the do nothing -ers (for lack of a better words right now)

I am wondering is if would be fair to conclude at this point that

1) Since the game is set up that others can join, they will and it would be impractical to expect to be asked if they can join in.

2) That is is not unreasonable to expect common courtesy and respect from those who do join an ongoing battle.

Any thoughts on this?

Defender
May 31, 2011
ToDesireNite

My apologies, I meant to ask you to correct me if I made the wrong guess as to where you were coming from in my previous post to AkihiroHattori5

Explorer
Jul 17, 2009
I do like to solo the game as much as possible. I won't apologize for that. I've just found that works better for me. Do I consider myself anti-social? No I don't. I work varied hours in real life and cannot always be on at certain times. Many people I played with in the beginning couldn't accept that. That's the main reason I solo. I never call anyone rude or berate them in any way when they join a street battle with me. I usually don't say a thing unless they speak to me. There's no point. I DO just suck it up and keep playing. Do I like it when that happens. No, I don't. Have I died when that happens? Yes, numerous times. I go back and try again.

All I did was agree with the original poster that a little politeness goes a long way. I don't feel I did anything wrong by making a personal observation based on my opinion about the game. I respect the opinions of everyone on the forums and do not try to tell anyone that they're wrong or that they should think differently. I do think that everyone is deserving of the same in return. I see nothing wrong with that.

I don't name people when replying to posts. If when replying someone's message or part of a message is included in my reply then that's because I'm not all that computer savvy and honestly don't know how to get it out.

I agree that originally this game was designed to encourage teamwork but in many ways it has evolved beyond that. Consider the addition of allowing henchmen.

As an adult I'm very, very careful about accepting friends simply because I don't know if I'm accepting another adult or a child.

Survivor
May 09, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
You know what, I'm tired of hearing people complain about this. If you don't want to be bothered while fighting monsters, play in a quieter realm. I usually join without asking because I need whatever the wizard's fighting and I don't have the time to stop and ask, "Pardon me, but may I join you battle? I can heal." A lot of the good friends I've made in the game I made because I jumped into their battle or they jumped into mine. Unless you're nearly dead it's really not that inconvenient.

I agree! And it's so true!
-Danielle- Lvl 51-Fire-

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
I propose a "block battle" option to the game. Only people you are friends can join or something like that.

Defender
May 31, 2011
sparky247247 wrote:
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
You know what, I'm tired of hearing people complain about this. If you don't want to be bothered while fighting monsters, play in a quieter realm. I usually join without asking because I need whatever the wizard's fighting and I don't have the time to stop and ask, "Pardon me, but may I join you battle? I can heal." A lot of the good friends I've made in the game I made because I jumped into their battle or they jumped into mine. Unless you're nearly dead it's really not that inconvenient.

I agree! And it's so true!
-Danielle- Lvl 51-Fire-

Hi Danielle

I respect one has the right to agree or disagree with any thoughts on this forum. It would be nice to hear in your own words what other thought you may have on this topic.

I do not know if you have read all the thoughts here, but I have stated I have come to realize that it is unrealistic to expect to be ask every time someone may want to join in an ongoing battle.

However, I don't think it is right to dismiss someone else's feelings or point of view just because you do not agree with it. When someone says some thing like "it is no big deal" or "it is not all that inconvenient", they are totally dismissing the other person's views and feelings. I cannot agree that is helpful in any way.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
DanielThunderFlame... wrote:
I propose a "block battle" option to the game. Only people you are friends can join or something like that.

Again, this would totally defeat the purpose of Wizard101 being an MMORPG.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
This has been a minor thorn in my side. I realize people get pulled in unintentionally (I made a really good friend from that. ). I also can deal with people just jumping in. I can't control others behaviors. But, I really wish when people jump in they would at least say "Hi.". Them not saying anything bugs me most of all. I have died numerous times at lower levels due to folks just jumping in. That is annoying but, then I just have a another go at the NPC I need.

I am really pleased KI removed the "jump in and help" from Zeke's intro speech.

I am glad I am not alone.

Megan

Delver
Apr 10, 2010
The new enemy is automatically going to attack the new guy that just joined, not the guy that was there originally.

and now there are more than one on his side in the fight.

public battles are NOT private battles.

you want a private battle that no one else can join without your permission, go to a dungeon or go fight a boss.

That isn't always the case for me. When another wizard has jumped into a battle I'm in, I've been soundly defeated becase all enemy has continued to attack me. Even the new one.

You are correct in saying there is no such thing as a private battle when fighting in a public area. But its still nice to have someone to be thoughtful enough to ask before jumping in your battle. Its called manners.

Cassandra Lionhunter legendary/myth

Hero
Jun 11, 2010
Many people use these message boards for the simple use of complaining. The purpose of this is to ask questions to get farther in the game. Thank you for being so polite.

Anyways, I would like to point out that if you join a battle PLEASE stay for the entire thing unless you are defeated. One time I had a person who teleported to me and fleed as soon as the forth enemy joined. That is worth being mad about. Do ask before joining a battle and pay attention to what people say.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Desferous wrote:

I even find myself not joining others, because of the posts here making me nervous about jumping in.

My sentiments exactly.

Six month ago, I was new (to both w101 and gaming, in general) and had a horrible experience with this. I'd just finished a fight in a crowded area, and an enemy respawned over me, dragging me into the battle of someone who was a few levels higher; he and his teammate were unforgivably rude, both threatening to report me for joining without being invited (is that even possible?), which is why I now fight my own battles- the only exception being that a friend and two henchmen were the only reason I survived the final dungeon in Wintertusk. It was tough, but still more pleasant than drawing the ire of other players.

In general, though, I have a few very-different views on this topic:

I am a legendary 'for hire', with a helper's deck- buffs, shields, traps, blades, heals, and donate power (because I'm Balance, I'm awesome and can give people pips), but no spells (hey, I don't need the xp). Obviously, when I am boss-farming or running around in low-level areas (I sometimes help newer players, especially fellow sorcerers, through boss-dungeons and the like), I always ask before joining; some people might not take kindly to the help, or they may find that they're doing fine, which is totally okay. It's just something I do to be nice, if they ask for it.

I really dislike when, like earlier this afternoon, I am extremely-low on health and some random person just jumps in with me. Don't get me wrong- I'm not mad at him/her for wanting to help, but at the fact that I am now going to die and likely won't get any credit for the enemies I've already killed; in this particular instance, I had to start the quest over, and it was really annoying. I've also been a victim of the join-and-flee trap, as well as the 'AFK' and several others... It's a shame that some people feel the need to abuse the system, because it makes us undermine the intentions of even those who mean well.

There are also some great things about being able to join random battles. Like, yesterday, my internet disconnected, and I got booted from Waterworks right at the end; I was separated from my group, couldn't get back into my instance (probably due to a server change), and grumbled for a bit about how it was a total waste of four hours. Shortly thereafter, two wizards standing nearby were nice enough to invite me in with their group, and I had a blast the second time around- thank you, Zachary and Brittany, a thousand times over!

The thing I like about this game is that it's not like other MMOs, where people take themselves far too seriously and are too uptight to just have fun. The teamwork aspect is pretty awesome, though I do have a suggestion for KI: why not make it so that, before joining a duel in progress, players can have the option of watching it, like in PVP, and see what school the person fighting is/how much health they currently have- perhaps by clicking on the character or dueling circle- to determine whether or not jumping in as a participant is a good idea.

While I do prefer to work alone now, soloing can be dreadfully lonely, at the best of times (hence, 'for hire'). So, if you see me running (rather, flying :P) around the Spiral, feel free to ask for help or jump on in- unless I specifically tell you not to, which doesn't happen often; I understand that things happen, and that most of you have good intentions.

Happy dueling!

Laura Shadowsong
Level 60 Balance/Legendary for hire.