Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A gentle reminder to the "helpers" out there

AuthorMessage
Defender
May 31, 2011
Please be considerate enough to ask before joining an ongoing battle. The person in the battle may be holding their own just fine with two enemies, but would not want or be able to handle a third one . If you join, you attract another enemy into the mix and that is not helping. Even, if you have cards that can heal others, your joining without asking may still be unwelcome. If you want to help, make it known you can heal when you ask to join.

Many will not say anything, because they figure what is the point, the extra enemy has usually already joined.

I understand sometimes people get pulled into a battle unintentionally, I am not talking about them.

Thank you

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
You know what, I'm tired of hearing people complain about this. If you don't want to be bothered while fighting monsters, play in a quieter realm. I usually join without asking because I need whatever the wizard's fighting and I don't have the time to stop and ask, "Pardon me, but may I join you battle? I can heal." A lot of the good friends I've made in the game I made because I jumped into their battle or they jumped into mine. Unless you're nearly dead it's really not that inconvenient.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
safyrmoon wrote:
Please be considerate enough to ask before joining an ongoing battle. The person in the battle may be holding their own just fine with two enemies, but would not want or be able to handle a third one . If you join, you attract another enemy into the mix and that is not helping. Even, if you have cards that can heal others, your joining without asking may still be unwelcome. If you want to help, make it known you can heal when you ask to join.

Many will not say anything, because they figure what is the point, the extra enemy has usually already joined.

I understand sometimes people get pulled into a battle unintentionally, I am not talking about them.

Thank you

For clarification, when another wizard joins the duel, any new enemies that join will be focused on the new wizard that just joined too unless that very next round the original wizard:

1.) Uses any attack spell on any enemy

2.) Uses any heal spell on anyone

3.) Uses any Taunt/Distract on the new enemy

4.) Is very low on health

Just some advice in case someone jumps in and is only shielding and blading.

Champion
Feb 14, 2010
I understand what you intentions are here but IMO it is unlikely that your message will reach the intended audience.
The game allows players to join existing battles and as AkihiroHattori5 pointed out (though he could have gone about it in a more polite fashion :D) it is for the most part an unavoidable part of the game.
Most of my wizards are higher levels now so it isn't really an issue for me, and I usually do make an informed decision before joining an existing battle with strangers; but no I don't usually ask before hand. I don't mind at all when other players join my battles, and usually prefer it when they do.
I don't think anyone should have to ask, unless they ported to a world that they normally don't have access to (yet).
When I was new to the game I had some bad experiences jumping into battles even to the point where I died or caused someone to die a few times because of it. It happens, especially when the wizards are low levels.

All I can say is that you take the bad with the good, and when you meet a wizard that impresses you with either skill, conversation or even manners then you add them to your friends list. As for the bad, well at least you probably won't have to run into them again...

Hero
Aug 23, 2009
I have to agree with Akihiro, this topic has been done to death and then beaten some more, I'm beginning to wonder if that is where the Bone Mount comes from. This is a game with other people who play, there are proactive actions you can take to minimize potential for others joining, but honestly just deal with it. There are those who maliciously join and flee, but most people stick around and finish the battle. If you want to battle totally alone then find a game that is only you playing. Safyrmoon, I appreciate the soloing mentality as that is how I tend to play, but you don't play in a bubble and have to adjust to that reality.

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
If someone on the same quest joins the battle without asking, i'm fine with that because i have gotten to the point where i an prepared to survive a full compliment of creatures, but this used to irk me, too, when the extra enemy meant my likely demise. So i don't mind if others join me in this manner, however i will ask others before joining them because i know it does bother some people. -eli and crew

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
safyrmoon wrote:
If you join, you attract another enemy into the mix and that is not helping.

well now, if someone joins, attracts another enemy, then FLEES - okay that's not helping.

but if they join and another enemy joins, what makes you think the first guy has to handle the new enemy?

The new enemy is automatically going to attack the new guy that just joined, not the guy that was there originally.

and now there are more than one on his side in the fight.

public battles are NOT private battles.

you want a private battle that no one else can join without your permission, go to a dungeon or go fight a boss.

Defender
May 31, 2011
I realize that forums serve several purposes. The two I find I use most is requests for information and others sharing their knowledge. The other is the sharing a personal issue and gaining new perspectives on your issue from other players, so thank you all for your responses.

I must say I was surprised at the intensity of some peoples reactions. I wasn't attacking anyone. Being fairly new I have not seen this topic posted before so I did not realize I was "beating something to death". I guess when you have been around for a while you can forget what it is like to be new. I really do not think such rough replies are necessary to get a point across. Even so the point is taken.

I would like to now share some other points.

1) If it is posted so often, then apparently significant number of players find uninvited joiners a problem, so I am obviously not alone in my experience with this.

2) Yes, when nearly dead it is a problem and if one does not want to be "bothered" to ask they will not know that. And this is one of the times I find someone joining not welcome. However, from the many responses I received I see I need to communicate better and next time I will speak up and let the joiner know I am concerned with my low health and would appreciate some healing help if they can. I have, also, been in many more battles and have appreciated some players who have joined in the battle. I still do not appreciate those who join and flee or just sit there and do nothing (or go afk).

3) Yes, I do realize that the new enemy's focus is on the new player, however, I have experienced that is not always the case and if you are low on health it doesn't take much, but as been pointed out, I now understand that this is just part of the game and I will just deal with it.

4) New players and their questions and concerns are part of the game. That is something you will have to just accept and deal with. The game isn't segregated into experience and more experience. If you do not want to deal with the new and less and experienced players questions and concerns the remedy is simple. Skip the topic. My experience is all the rudeness and ranting in the world will not stop a topic that many have an issue with. If you believe you have point that will add to the topic, strive for a bit more maturity in your responses.

I would like to specifically thank the following for their answers and perspectives, I found them particularly helpful:

kingurz
hp1055cm
Krailzec

Explorer
Jun 11, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
You know what, I'm tired of hearing people complain about this. If you don't want to be bothered while fighting monsters, play in a quieter realm. I usually join without asking because I need whatever the wizard's fighting and I don't have the time to stop and ask, "Pardon me, but may I join you battle? I can heal." A lot of the good friends I've made in the game I made because I jumped into their battle or they jumped into mine. Unless you're nearly dead it's really not that inconvenient.
You took the words out of my mouth. And I mean that literally.

Explorer
Nov 06, 2010
One thought, I do get lonely from soloing in this game.

I usually do appreciate someone jumping into my battles. I have had the occasion where I have been in a rush and better frustrated, but I think that has only happened once out of the 50 times people have joined in with me. I wish people joined more often.

I even find myself not joining others, because of the posts here making me nervous about jumping in.

There isn't a system yet to join parties or look for groups so "Jumping In" is the only way to join others. I thank as long as people follow the norm of attacking your targets only things should be fine, but even then I really don't care. As long as you are using pips you will get exp.

Explorer
Jul 17, 2009
Personally, I agree with the original poster. I too truly dislike people joining my battles unless they ask first.

First of all it's just plain outright rude. I prefer to solo most everything and like it that way regardless of whether or not this is a "family" or "group" type game. And it doesn't matter if you play in a crowded or perfect realm. People jump in anyway.

As far as others not taking the time to ask....well in todays world most assume that you're supposed to get what you want, when you want and how you want no matter what.

Sorry, but I was brought up to believe that politeness goes a long way and thinking of others before yourself and your wants is part of the golden rule.

For me I'm going to take the time to ask first and if they don't answer....move on. If they say no thank you....I move on. The same enemies are very near anyway and I'll do them myself. And I certainly do not friend anyone or accept friend requests from people that jump into my battle regardless of how many times they try.

I delete people every day simply because they cannot or will not follow basic everyday common courtesy. Do I feel bad about it? Absolutely not.
Will I change the way I play or go along with the crowd? Absolutely not.
Call me what you want or disagree with me all you want but there it is and I'm not ashamed of my opinion and it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Sabrina Stormrunner Legendary Diviner
Alyssa Starstone Grandmaster Necromancer
Shawna Darkflame Grandmaster Pyromancer
Moira Legendwalker Legendary Sorcerer
Keira Goldenthistle Legendary Theurgist

Survivor
May 09, 2011
I like people joining my battles since it means more xp and loot, but wht i really hate are 2 things. When some one joins and goes AFK (I don't like doing all the work for some one, especially when i have to wait for the counter to go to 0 before i can do any thing).
But what i really hate is when i get pulled into a battle, either with some one at the same time, or i lag into a battle, or i hit the entrance at the same time, and people flee. I don't know if they are just being jerks, or if they have such a pride issue that they see me there and flee to battle on their own.. but for crying out loud.. if you want a solo battle i can name a million and more console games where it's all yours. no sharing, no human interaction, nothing.
Oh yah, i forgot to mention the occasions where there are so many people battling that there are no spots left to grab a mob. Doesn't happen often, and there is the ability to switch servers, but if you just switched 3 times and get a bit tired of waiting for the cool down, ya might just jump into battles and hope it's not some selfish jerk that's going to complain or flee.
Why can't we all just get along and share? -.-

Defender
May 31, 2011
As I mentioned before, my original post was not an attack on other people. Rather I was trying to share with others how the issue was perceived on my end. I hope people will read my entire post here and read with an open mind.

Reading the responses has been most helpful for me. For the most part the string of responses on this topic has been sharing. Yes, there is the post or two that might be interpreted as rude or arguing, but mainly I see people sharing their point of view without attacking and I think that is great. I think most are getting along just fine.

I do not believe my asking someone to be respectful of my point of view or situation and asking for common courtesy as being selfish.

My view now, after several have respectfully shared theirs is that the game does allow others to join at will, which means they will. Like anywhere else, I will encounter players with a wide range of personalities and character. Most I will enjoy, some I will not. I have determined that I will focus on the enjoyable encounters and let the unpleasant ones go, they will not be worth any more of my time or energy.

I would find it interesting to hear what others may be getting out of this discussion.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Desferous wrote:
There isn't a system yet to join parties or look for groups so "Jumping In" is the only way to join others. I thank as long as people follow the norm of attacking your targets only things should be fine, but even then I really don't care. As long as you are using pips you will get exp.

You hit the nail on the head! This is something several have asked for. I just happen to have the latest post:

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/37781.ftl

Personally, I screen teammates for dungeons. I don't like just anybody going with me, because more and more dungeons require certain strategy. But for open street battles, anyone can join my battles anytime. I usually don't even care if they are fighting or not, because I can solo the stuff anyways and their enemies they brought with them are updating my quest too. Most of them are "collect this..." quests, where I wish 10 wizards could join my fight to bring in 10 more enemies!!!!

Champion
May 03, 2011
Personally I never ever join a battle without asking or being asked (e.g., "help!). I have been roped in lots of times, though, esp. in MB or GH, and in that case I always quickly type "sry." I have had people on my friend list teleport to me when I'm fighting solo, or with another person, and while I don't mind this--generally it's people who want to experience the wonder of a place they don't have access to yet, I think--it can be disconcerting and throw me off my rhythm. I do wish people wouldn't do that. But it's a multi-player game by definition, and I agree that one just has to suck it up on some things. However, I agree with the original poster and his/her quite eloquent and gentle reminder about forums and their purpose. As a less experienced player myself, I find I lot of useful information and interesting perspectives here. I don't frankly see the point of "this has been done to death" replies. If one finds these "noob" questions annoying, why not simply ignore them and move on to another topic? There's no point in simply making people feel bad for posting/asking something you find irrelevant or irritating. Education, by definition, requires experienced and knowledgeable people willing to share that knowledge. Even if it's on a topic that's "been done to death" from their point of view.

Tabitha M.--Master Conjurer, Neophyte Forum Poster

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
What I find ridiculous is how people can berate those who won't ask every time they want to join a battle in a game that obviously encourages teamwork, calling them rude and inconsiderate. Just because you like to solo doesn't mean everyone else does. How can you condemn us for playing Wizard101 the way it was meant to be played just because you prefer to be anti-social? That's a bit hypocritical, don't you think? Also, this game is being played by people as young as 10. To seriously think that children that young are really going to stop and ask to join a battle is pretty unrealistic. I mean, really? Calm down. It's not that big of a deal.

Champion
May 03, 2011
Um, I think the topic kind of took a weird turn--the original poster did use the word "gentle" and I think s/he meant it--i.e., the intent wasn't to call people rude and inconsiderate, or to call them anything. Just to ask that people check out the scene before joining. In the past couple of days I've had occasion to think about the topic some more--and revise my previous assertion about people porting in the middle of a battle (also a little off-topic, I realize). There's one guy on my friend list who does this occasionally--he's a higher-level Life guy, and has menu chat. And I am always, always glad to see him! He more than makes up for the level-20 types who just want to see DS or something. I wish I could thank him better, but menu chat doesn't allow for more than "thanks." So thanks, Brandon. Anyway, I guess my point is you take the good with the less good. Just like in real life. :-)

Survivor
Dec 18, 2009
TROJAN250 wrote:
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
You took the words out of my mouth. And I mean that literally.

This is totally correct. I would've said the EXACT same thing.

Defender
May 31, 2011
What I find ridiculous is how people can berate those who won't ask every time they want to join a battle in a game that obviously encourages teamwork, calling them rude and inconsiderate. Just because you like to solo doesn't mean everyone else does. How can you condemn us for playing Wizard101 the way it was meant to be played just because you prefer to be anti-social? That's a bit hypocritical, don't you think? Also, this game is being played by people as young as 10. To seriously think that children that young are really going to stop and ask to join a battle is pretty unrealistic. I mean, really? Calm down. It's not that big of a deal.

I see very few posts that can be considered rude or berating on this current discussion. As stated earlier the overall tone of this discussion, in my opinion, (and this includes posts that don’t agree with me) as calm and civilized. There are very few posts here that I would want to say “calm down” to (again, this would include those that do and do not agree with me).

I see don’t see that many posts demanding to be asked by everyone each and every time before joining a battle. You are right, that would be unrealistic. My intention on starting this topic and discussion was to share how it was being viewed on my end and to be able to hear other views.

I personally have never called any one "rude" or "inconsiderate" for joining a battle I am on. Not in the game and not here. I had pointed out in an earlier post that there were a POST or two that could be considered rude (that is not the same as calling someone a rude person), but I never attacked, berated, nor condemned anyone here for their own views. If you are speaking of personal experience elsewhere, that would be helpful to know. If you do feel a post here has berated you or was rude in particular, that would help to clarify things.

Everyone is entitled to his or her own, thoughts, views, opinions, etc. I welcome and encourage anyone’s post. I have been enlightened and appreciative. However, thoughts, views, opinions, etc are only that. They are not fact. It is would be unrealistic and unreasonable for anyone here to expect that others have the same views (mine, yours, or anyone else’s) or accept them as “obvious”.

As far as how the game is "meant" to be played, there is no one way. I believe this game is open for both solo and team play. Just read the description of myth students when you signing up to play: “Myth Wizards often play alone, summoning minions to aid them in battle”.

Just as it is wrong for people to attack the team players, it is just as wrong and hypocritical to attack those who wish to play solo. To the team players I would ask just that they be aware there are those who wish to play solo and it wouldn’t hurt to accept them for that and not call them anti-social and invalidate their feelings by saying “It is no big deal”. I like playing alone a lot for the personal challenge. I do have friends and do help them and they help me with battles and I enjoy that as well. Just because one wishes to battle alone a lot, does not make them anti-social.

To the solo players, I would like to say I learned that most people are not trying to be rude and inconsiderate. The game DOES allow others to join most battles and this is something that will need to be adjusted to. Try to enjoy the pleasant people who join and let the rude ones go.

To both type of players, I wish to say that there is no point to being rude and derogatory for any reason, not even in retaliation. I am well aware there are younger players, however, I believe that many underestimate what they are capable of understanding if given a chance. When one feels they are attacked or being rude to, the gut reaction is to respond in kind. Wouldn’t be nice to show the younger ones who hear, watch, and read more than most realize, that there are better ways to communicate your feelings? Wouldn’t be better to set and example of accepting others even if their opinions differ for ours?

Defender
May 31, 2011
TROJAN250 and rushb1494040,

I respect that you have found someone you agree with. However, I would like you expand more on this. Really, it helps to hear each person's thoughts in their own words. Each person has their own unique way of saying things and even you if you believe you have nothing more to add to what is being said, you can be surprised that you actually do. I would hate the community to be deprived of that.

Explorer
Aug 14, 2008
I guess I agree, because I usually notice that when people jump into battles without permission, the first person there often has a hard time with more enemies, ect. Of course, that's just my opinion and observation, so its not correct.

I always ask, no matter what, because it's polite and if they don't want or need me in a battle, why irritate them? When people jump into my battles on purpose because they "need the enemy I'm fighting" I normally don't say anything because I don't care or it's too pointless to say anything as they've already joined and pulled in another enemy.

Even if I needed an enemy someone else is already fighting, I don't jump right into their battle. I'd personally rather go find my own battle. I'm not anti-social, I'd just rather let them do their own thing. I don't think that's a bad thing, is it?

Now I can completely understand if they've been pulled in accidentally. The person usually says sorry, or if I've seen where they were, like in the street or a sidewalk that's close to the monster's walkway. I don't mind that, and I'll gladly help them out.

On a bit on/off topic discussion: There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to play solo and I don't see why anyone should feel the need to berate those who want to play that way. It's a game. Everyone can play however they want. I'm an Ice wizard as my main character, and I solo all the time. Does that mean I'm rude or weird or anything? I don't think so. It's just want I want to do. I'll play with others whenever I want to, as well.

Survivor
Dec 18, 2009
safyrmoon wrote:
TROJAN250 and rushb1494040,

I respect that you have found someone you agree with. However, I would like you expand more on this. Really, it helps to hear each person's thoughts in their own words. Each person has their own unique way of saying things and even you if you believe you have nothing more to add to what is being said, you can be surprised that you actually do. I would hate the community to be deprived of that.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings. I would've said it in a nicer way anyways. Oh, and I tried this. People were much more happy when I did. :D

Explorer
Feb 19, 2011
My style is often to jump into a fight when I'm chasing a particular enemy.

Some players don't like it, others (probably more of them) thank me for the help.

A few respond with a volley of rudeness, on the edge of or over it of reportable obscenity. I assume their aim is to put people off from joining. If they do it to me, I make a point of totally ignoring what they want from then on.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
safyrmoon wrote:
I see very few posts that can be considered rude or berating on this current discussion. As stated earlier the overall tone of this discussion, in my opinion, (and this includes posts that don’t agree with me) as calm and civilized. There are very few posts here that I would want to say “calm down” to (again, this would include those that do and do not agree with me).

I see don’t see that many posts demanding to be asked by everyone each and every time before joining a battle. You are right, that would be unrealistic. My intention on starting this topic and discussion was to share how it was being viewed on my end and to be able to hear other views.

I personally have never called any one "rude" or "inconsiderate" for joining a battle I am on. Not in the game and not here. I had pointed out in an earlier post that there were a POST or two that could be considered rude (that is not the same as calling someone a rude person), but I never attacked, berated, nor condemned anyone here for their own views. If you are speaking of personal experience elsewhere, that would be helpful to know. If you do feel a post here has berated you or was rude in particular, that would help to clarify things.

Everyone is entitled to his or her own, thoughts, views, opinions, etc. I welcome and encourage anyone’s post. I have been enlightened and appreciative. However, thoughts, views, opinions, etc are only that. They are not fact. It is would be unrealistic and unreasonable for anyone here to expect that others have the same views (mine, yours, or anyone else’s) or accept them as “obvious”.

As far as how the game is "meant" to be played, there is no one way. I believe this game is open for both solo and team play. Just read the description of myth students when you signing up to play: “Myth Wizards often play alone, summoning minions to aid them in battle”.

Just as it is wrong for people to attack the team players, it is just as wrong and hypocritical to attack those who wish to play solo. To the team players I would ask just that they be aware there are those who wish to play solo and it wouldn’t hurt to accept them for that and not call them anti-social and invalidate their feelings by saying “It is no big deal”. I like playing alone a lot for the personal challenge. I do have friends and do help them and they help me with battles and I enjoy that as well. Just because one wishes to battle alone a lot, does not make them anti-social.

To the solo players, I would like to say I learned that most people are not trying to be rude and inconsiderate. The game DOES allow others to join most battles and this is something that will need to be adjusted to. Try to enjoy the pleasant people who join and let the rude ones go.

To both type of players, I wish to say that there is no point to being rude and derogatory for any reason, not even in retaliation. I am well aware there are younger players, however, I believe that many underestimate what they are capable of understanding if given a chance. When one feels they are attacked or being rude to, the gut reaction is to respond in kind. Wouldn’t be nice to show the younger ones who hear, watch, and read more than most realize, that there are better ways to communicate your feelings? Wouldn’t be better to set an example of accepting others even if their opinions differ for ours?

I was responding to linny913's post; I accidentally deleted the quote and didn't put it back before submitting. Anyway, I do agree with you saying everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I, however, feel I can debate, especially if I feel the person whose pointing I'm debating is being, in my opinion, unreasonable. I say the game is meant to be played by players who are open to helping others because if it wasn't why would it be an MMORPG? KI has said that there are parts that you can do alone, but there are parts that are made specifically to encourage teamwork. I think the line you quoted was taken completely out of context and was put in merely to let one know more about the Myth school. I'm sure the Myth description has said that since before there were any Conjurers in the Spiral. You ask us to be aware of people who prefer to solo: how? Unless they shout "I WANT TO SOLO!" repeatedly, we have no way of knowing until it's too late. I'm sorry, but I can't help how I feel. To me, it is no big deal that people join fights without asking because no battle in this game is private. That's the way it's been and hopefully that's the way it always will be.

Survivor
Sep 30, 2010
It would be nice to have more players in the game like you Safyrmoon.

And it does seem like this past month alone, I have found more stray/random wizards jumping into my battles only to 1.) shield themselves and go 'afk'... 2.) go 'afk'... 3.) flee the battle after pulling in that extra enemy.

While the extra enemy does not bother me as much as some; the inconsiderate players that go 'afk' do bother me a great deal as it interferes with my game play.

I know that there is nothing that can be done about wizards going 'afk' in a battle. But, this is what I have done when i find them following me into two or more battles: I put that wizard on my ignore list, and change realms.
This is also inconvenient for me as well, since I now must let my friends that are fighting with me know the reason and now which realm to jump to, to continue our quest away from a hindrance.
A pacifist view truly.. but I would love to hear any better ideas on how to deal with these wizards.

Finding better ideas is what the forums are for. This idea can not be 'done-to-death' unless a real solution has been thought of & has been shared.

I also ask before joining a battle as common courtesy seems to be a lost art. How are children supposed to learn if not by example?

Ok, I'm done.. go ahead and call me rude too.