Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Introduction and questions on leveling.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 08, 2009
HI, im new to wizard 101 and i must say im LOVING IT! first day i bought a subscription and am very satisfied. but i do have a coupple questions though.

1. why does it censor alot of stuff? like it censors numbers, which is weird. and it censors something if i spell it wrong.

2. Im a level 7 necro, should i be doing the quests at haunted cave?

3. can anyone add me to friends list? Im blake deathwhisper.

Administrator
Welcome to Ravenwood, young Wizard!

While developing Wizard101, we realized the style and content of the game would appeal to all ages. As a result of our young audience, we decided to incorporate safeguards that make online play a generally safe and positive experience (especially when dealing with other players).

We have implemented a chat system that tries to ensure that what is being said in Wizard101 is appropriate for all ages. And this is a school after all, spelling counts!

community@wizard101.com
Squire
Dec 02, 2008
Some games use a blacklist to filter "bad" words. The problem is that it's too easy to get around that. If "abcd" were a word that should be filtered, someone could say "ab cd" or "ab.cd" or "abcdd" or a lot of other things that an average person would recognize meant "abcd" and was done to get around the filter. You can design blacklist filters to block some such things, but it is human nature to find creative ways to do evil, and people can get around whatever filter is in place.

This game takes the more aggressive stance of using a whitelist filter. The game has a (rather small) dictionary of allowable words, and anything not on the list gets blocked. This means that a lot of inoffensive words get blocked, and typos will nearly always get a word filtered. It is, of course, quite possible to get around this, too, and still swear at people, but it's a lot harder.

The downside of that approach is, of course, that "legitimate" chat is made far more awkward.

Survivor
Feb 08, 2009
ProfessorGreyrose wrote:
Welcome to Ravenwood, young Wizard!

While developing Wizard101, we realized the style and content of the game would appeal to all ages. As a result of our young audience, we decided to incorporate safeguards that make online play a generally safe and positive experience (especially when dealing with other players).

We have implemented a chat system that tries to ensure that what is being said in Wizard101 is appropriate for all ages. And this is a school after all, spelling counts!

Lady greyrose, thank you for introducing me, but i do have a couple more questions. It took me a while to understand why misspelled words were censored and when i understood i was like "oh thats funny". But it still censors things that seem apporopriate. Like today my friend asked me how much it was to subscribe and i wanted to say "Ten dollars" but i had to say "Tenth money" because it censors dollars and all numbers. And i really dont see why numbers are censored because they are used in everyday conversation. so.,....idk. And is there a place to post ideas?

Thank You,
BurntIce, your #1 Necro!

Administrator
This is exactly the place to post these types of questions and ideas.

Numbers are restricted to ensure our younger players do not give out personal information.

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Feb 08, 2009
Oh, that makes perfect sense (not scarcasm).

I understand. it kind of came to me because i was going to give someone my phone number today and i couldnt and i went "oh, thats why!"

Also, its nice to have an administrator who responds to the cmmunity's questions and concerns. thats why i left maplestory. Thank you lady greyrose, ill be sure to buy a 6 month subscription!.

BurntIce,
Your #1 Necro!